Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Build your own X-Men Netflix show

• 51 results
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Koays  Online

Because I'm obviously gunning for a spot here and because we've already done X-Movieverses and Solo films.

The X-Men have done shows before. 3 major cartoons, an Anime and the two currently running live action shows The Gifted and Legion.

With that said the MCU based Netflix shows, and even those on other streaming platforms have made great waves in the past for their very different style of pacing and writing designed for season long binge watching.

These shows have been able to focus on popular and virtually Unknown properties and create their own niches that include many non-comic fans who are simply browsin for content.

So lets create a Netflix show or shows that you think would work featuring X-Men and/or elements of the X-Men Franchise.

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want an animated series based around Earth-X.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think an X-Statix cartoon would be really fun and something different from what we'd expect.

As for live action either X-Factor Investigations or Mutant X are ripe for the filming...although the detective bit's been covered already by Jessica Jones on Netflix. Buuuuuuut Bishop, Madrox, M, Siryn, Strong Guy and Layla Miller (putting Bish in place of Rictor to avoid A.o.S. Quake comparisons) set up in Mutant Town or Genosha solving mutant crimes would be cool.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Koays  Online

@thunderscream: Really like the idea of X-Factor and Mutant town anyway so it's an easy yes for me. It's one of the things that really shows the middle ground between DOOM and GLOOM world is trying to kill us X-Men and the "were just ordinary people trying to live" stories. Definetly a change of pace from what we've gotten in most X-Men media.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 morpheus_  Moderator

I always felt that PAD's X-Factor Investigations with Madrox as leader, Siryn, Rictor, Strong Guy and Monet would be a good show without going overboard or relying on major X characters.

Cutting out Rahne to trim the budget from unnecessarily lycanthropic transformations and her self-righteous banter. Layla, Shatterstar or Gambit (likely too well known to be included as secondary character) could be introduced down the line.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of an Xfactor show. Though I would create a combination of the Investigations type with the Government sponsored team. Unfortunately in this instance Fox's show has Polaris, Sage, Thunderbird/Warpath. So I guess a decent lineup would be a team with Valerie Cooper as the liasion or handler and having Madrox, Forge, Bishop, Monet, Siryn and maybe bringing in Dazzler (should give that X-statix celebrity feel some have felt was a interesting direction) and Boom Boom on the team too. Or for bigger name mutants there would be a whole lot of story to tell if Gambit and/or Rogue were brought in.

As another alternative I say do something in the school setting with the Kyle /Yost version of new Xmen.

Finally I think the future of the New Mutants is on TV like this. So after whatever happens with the movie or maybe just scrap it or ignore it all together, do a show based on them

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

I had this idea a while ago for a series based around Professor X before the X-Men. Essentially an "Xavier Origins" that sort of chronicles the important, well know parts of his life. Similar to a "Once and Future King" type story structure. Xavier's history does sort of set the stage for a lot of the X-Men's lore as a lot of his connections come into play later.

I honestly don't know if it would work considering I don't of many TV shows that have a structure like this, and there really can't be an ongoing narrative or story arcs considering the episodes take place in different parts of his life and deal with very different things. And then of course it would only really be one season and would aim to appeal more to hardcore fans....but, I guess who cares because this is basically fan fiction anyways...amiright??

The show would also focus more on the complexities and technicalities of having telepathy.

So the episodes would be longer in the fashion of BBC shows like "Sherlock" or "Black Mirror". Mini movies essentially;

Episode 1- Xavier is a child living at his mansion with his Step Father who abuses his mother, his Mother, and Step Brother, Cain Marko, who he is constantly bullied by. His powers manifest which cause him great distress. The sub plot is that his parents are involved in something called Project: Black Womb, which is being conducted in a massive bomb shelter beneath the mansion.

• Mr Sinister is the antagonist as a scientist working with Xavier’s parents. He is only seen in his full get up in silhouette, the rest of the time he is in disguise.
    • Xavier’s mother dies, halfway through the episode, and his Step Father then dies near the end of the episode after a mysterious explosion (caused by Sinister) happens and Marko sacrifices himself saving Cain and Charles.
    • Think of this episode as in the style of American Horror Story.

Episode 2- Xavier is in college and dating Moira Kinross (MacTaggart) and along with his roommate, Karl Lykos, they use both Xavier’s burgeoning psychic abilities along with Moira’s knowledge of biology to attempt to solve a murder that has happened on campus.

• This episode would be in the style of something like "Sherlock"or any detective story with plenty of red herrings and misdirection.
    • Xavier hasn’t really focused his powers yet and isn’t as powerful as he will be one day.

Episode 3- Xavier, who is in a special unit of the army along with his Step Brother, Cain Marko and William Lonestar (Danielle Moonstar’s father), finds his unit isolated and trapped in enemy territory after a convoy is ambushed. To make matters worse, the stress of being under fire in the desert heat debilitates him and he can’t use his powers right and his unit begins infighting.

• Think of this episode as akin to something like “The Hurt Locker” or “Platoon
    • Xavier, who is a medic, saves the life of William, making them “blood brothers” is his culture.
    • The episode ends with them finding a cave to hide, where Cain finds a weird gem and attempts to steal it, causing the cave to collapse. Xavier and William, who are the only survivors of their attack and the cave collapsing, are rescued shortly after.

Episode 4 – Deciding to dedicate his life to helping people and to have a career healing people with mental trauma, Xavier secretly uses his telepathy at a hospital for recent victims of a massacre. He falls in love with Gabrielle Haller, a woman he had treated, and also meets and becomes good friends with a man named Erik Lensherr. Remnants of the military that had occupied Erik and Gabrielle’s country return and kidnap Gabrille which forces Erik and Charles to reveal their powers to one another and team up to rescue her.

• This essentially follows the events of X-Men #161
    • The episode ends with the war criminals being arrested and American agent, Fred Duncan, who had been involved with the international task force asking Erik and Charles to join a special government outfit

Episode5- Working for a special task force, Xavier is sent back to New York in the US to investigate a young girl who has developed telepathy at an oddly young age like himself (Jean Grey). Meanwhile, Erik and Duncan investigate a secret black ops facility that is even unknown to most sects of the US government where they have been apparently experimenting on mutants (Weapon X precursor)

• This episode foreshadows the future for Xavier and Magneto in several ways. Xavier not only discovering that the mutant population was more numerous than he thought, but there will be children helpless and scared when they first manifest abilities like he and Jean were. Xavier decides that he must make this his priority in the future.
    • Magneto, seeing how the shadow organization he and Duncan investigated experimented on mutants to the point of torture and death, understands that the humans will always see mutants as alien to humanity, or weapons to exploit. This combined with his residual hatred from the violence in his past, shakes him more loose than he already was.

Episode 6- After working on the concept and prototype for something called “Cerebro” Erik finally finds a specific group of soldiers that caused him grief in his past, revealing that finding their whereabouts was the entire reason he joined the Task Force. Xavier and Duncan attempt to stop him before he murders them.

• The episode ends with Xavier having to control Erik’s mind (he never used his powers on Erik before due to request) and the two having a bloody fist fight and parting ways.

Episode 7- Despondent from all the loss in his life, whether it be his family, lovers or friends, Xavier decides to become nomadic and finds himself in Cairo, Egypt, where he finds himself in the presence of a telepath as powerful as he is known as Shadow King.

• The episode would have a long, over twenty minute battle on the “Astral Plane” with all sorts of crazy visual stuff going on. For examples, look at anything from the dream sequences of “Inception” to something like “Altered States”
    • After barely defeating the Shadow King, Xavier regains purpose and decides he must prepare individuals to engage with mutants that might use their abilities for nefarious purposes.

Episode 8- On the way back to the US, Xavoer finds himself in a town where the inhabitants are acting strangely, and goes on to find that they are under the thrall of an alien who calls himself Lucifer.

• In the comics, Lucifer was just from an alien species that looked just like humans. I would alter it so that he really is some sort of tentacled monster and has no form.
    • This episode would be influenced by “The Thing’ with body horror as the alien can take on any shape which causes Xavier to have trouble tracking it and knowing who it is posing as.
    • Xavier is crippled in the climax of the episode.

Episode 9- Finding himself in a hospital without the use of his legs Xavier finds a lover in his nurse, Amelia Voght.

• There is no real villain or action in this episode, it is simply a love story with Xavier where he has to leave Amelia in the end to pursue what he thinks is his purpose in life.
    • Xavier departs for the US at the end.

Episode 10- While back at his family’s mansion in New York, working on Cerebro, Xavier hears news of a strange incident in Nebraska. Xavier enlists the help of his old friend, Fred Duncan, to find a young mutant (Cyclops) who is on the run after wrecking an orphanage somehow. Cyclops falls in with a notorious local criminal and Xavier has to stop him in lieu of further calamity.

• In the end Xavier rescues the boy and offers to help him better use and understand his powers.
    • The final 30 seconds of the film would flash to 2 months later and show the original 5 X-Men training in the Danger Room in their uniforms with Xavier giving some voice over.

So, that's it for that. I would suggest that every subsequent season deals with the origin of an individual X character, but, I don't think there is too many characters that could facilitate 10 full episodes of back story. Wolverine would be a viable choice, but, people sort of get sick of Wolverine. Most other characters barely have an origin that fills out a 25 page comic.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Koays  Online

@cattlebattle: I think that's cool especially if your doing like a Sherlock style thing. Like if Marvel had an app for it's shows and stuff I could see them spacing it out across a year. Like 1 episode a month (There's an American show that does that as well i think).

Really though what you described would even work as a graphic novel, since I feel like we really need a one an done source for Xavier's pre X-Men history anyway.

A good for a season two would be like picking a specific team. Like showing members of the ANAD or New Mutants backgrounds and culminating the season with them all meeting at Xaviers since for the most part it's one moment.

@hawk2916 I Like the K/Y New X-Men idea. I get that it's all Harry Potteresque School of Wonder stuff that's kinda easy to tread. But if they shared a setting with the X-Men and you could just have them referencing things going on with the main team that aren't central to the kids lives it would really make for an interesting world to explore. I mean there's alot of things that work well for drama in that Era so just telling the Origin of Elixir and Surge from the start and ending with the death of Josh Gunthrie and a Childhoods End arc would be great and alot like what makes the Runaways and the Cloak and Dagger shows work when you look at their season structures.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will do one on the Age of Apocalypse with a twist.

Plot: Once there was a vibrant world, where heroes kept the piece and villains were thwarted. The X-Men had existed to keep the peace between mutants and humans for so long after coming back from near extinction thanks to the Mutant Messiah, Hope Summers. One day, though, reality unravels and erase around her. When she wakes up, she finds herself and Bishop in a dystopian future ruled by one of the X-Men’s most dangerous enemies, Apocalypse. What happened to their home? Where are the X-Men? Can Hope trust someone who tried to kill her in her youth? Can she afford not to?

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@koays: maybe a ka-zar series. Kazar and shanna have adventures and sweaty sex in the savage land

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f
    deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can continuations count? Personally I’d want a Netflix show that continues the Wolverine and The X-men show. I mean the show had more to tell and it was cancelled because of you sells if I remember.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
    deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Savageland like Land of the Lost.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpendejo: “... because of you sells if I remember.”

Because he sells what? @koays, what are you selling?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Koays  Online

@pyrofn: I wanna say he meant low sales? But it wasn't really sold so.....ratings? Idk

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'd you want ratings just cast sexy teens for Jean storm and rougue once your show has ratings you can afford a guest Stars like hugh Jackman Logan ratings right there and maybe a golden globe now. Then get Rebecca Romijn to play the looking into the future complete with body paint mystique More ratings. Lots of easy Angles for ratings just look at CW Supergirl

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Each installment of the show would have a very different feel, I pointed out the influences with each episode as one episode would have more of a thriller feel, and then another episode would essentially be like a war film etc.

The problem with doing a show about the X-men proper or junior team is you would never have the resources to do all that needs to be done in terms of make up, stunts, special effects, locations action sequences etc. I for one would love to see an X-Men show, but, unfortunately, you're always going to wind up with something like "The Gifted" or 1995's Generation X TV pilot. The companies always look to cut as much costs as possible.

X-Factor based on PAD's work was another choice of mine.....whichI can see I wasn't alone in thinking that. As someone else mentioned, you could really get away with cutting costs in that show as a lot of the characters have more peripheral powers or powers that can work with limited effects. Like your roster could be Madrox, Rictor (powered or depowered doesn't matter) Siryn, Layla Miller, M (without flight, just strength and invulnerability) and for cool fight scenes you could have Longshot or Shatterstar. I would prefer Longshot, because he has that neat psychometry ability. You wouldn't even need any make up for any of those characters either. It would be relatively easy to make.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Koays  Online

@cattlebattle: Yea I like the different feel/theme for each episode idea. Which is why I thought maybe having something like the Xavier idea but about different characters backgrounds would be interesting as well. Like there's a Netflix show (canceled) called Sense 8 about 8 very different people around the world and depending on who you focus on you get a police drama, a japanese revenge film, a twisting criminal underworld, an almost bollywood lovestory etc. I think something like that could work with what you describe if you say focused on a Young Storm, Thunderbird, Nightcrawler, Banshee and Colossus and their very different backgrounds ages and personalities.

As for the budget constraints an practical effects....oh boy are you right. Since it's killing the Gifted right now with their "Polaris is so powerful she can lift a section of fence...SCAREY!!". But I think if your focusing less on the powers and are selective of the cast it could work. The idea above for instance wouldn't be hurt to bad since other then maybe Storm and Nightcrawler the others can have similar limited shows of powers since the story would be about them before they really used their powers publicly. I mean you could focus more on Storm thieving background and just have Kurt cover up and wear "make up" to appear normal.

It kills alot of ideas, but I think it also kinda brings you more in line with what makes the Netflix super hero shows work, which is that they are primarily character pieces. Like Luke Cage isnt going to need the budget to show him skydiving onto Ultron in Wakanda, because their writing a story about the character and his struggle before they write about his powers.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Yeah, I remember Sense 8 by the Matrix weirdos, that show was awful. The problem with most X-men is that outside of a selective few their backstories aren't all that interesting. Take Storm for example, her parents died, she worked as thief for the Shadow King, met Tchalla at some point, then went and helped primitive African tribes with their agriculture via weather. There, I just explained it in a sentence. There wouldn't be enough interesting substance to create an entire film, or a TV episode out of at least. And even if you did, you would have to find yourself doing something hokey like injecting some sort of antagonist into every episode just for manufactured drama. It, would be nonsensical and feel very silver age-y.

Yeah, people tend to think that television and movie studios have no problem throwing millions of dollars into these TV shows and films when it is quite the opposite. The problem with an X-Men series is that there is a ton of subtleties people don't account for. Something as simple as Storm flying, which she does all the time comics. It would take a considerable amount of technical prowess to make her flight look realistic, a show as simple as Supergirl has her flying as little as possible because it is expensive to animate it.

Well yeah, that's why they chose the Marvel characters they did, because shows with those characters would be easier to make and more cost effective, and they wound up cancelling them anyways. Do you think if they had inifinite moneys to make these shows they would have chosen Luke Cage and Jessica Jones of all characters?? That's why I chose a short, Professor X series, because you could get away with most of it without huge special effects and expenses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f
    deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: @pyrofn: Typo, I meant toy sales. But i was mixing the cancelations up with Young justice.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Koays  Online

@cattlebattle: Lol Sense 8 is not "good". But dissecting that is a convo in itself.

More though just the narrative mechanic of having different stories that have nothing to do with eachother set in different settings as the A&B plot for an Episode. Like having Colossus' family dealing with financial problems in Russia, and pairing it with Storm experimenting with her powers and start to unknowingly gain a following in Africa. Just something where you can take the little material we have and stretch it.

Yea I get what you mean with the budget constraints. I do think that a character piece could resolve some of this. But its hard to say where it would help/hurt a series when even if you save the money...you know you've got to have Storm look like a Goddess.

Though I will say the budgets for these type of shows is noticeably increasing. And an almost Smallville approach to the mutant abilities (Colossus turns his legs or arms metal first) and inter mixing characters with less flashy powers or more interesting backstories (Banshee, Thunderbird, Emma,) would help to maintain interest.

Really though it may just be the game breaker for ever doing anything X-Men wise on a seasonal basis.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I feel like you're assuming everyone is a huge X-men geek, like ourselves. Even if you did have an awesome, well written story about something like Storm just experimenting with her powers, the executives would be like "this is a show based on a super hero comic, where is the villain??" "where is the fighting??" "where is the excitement!?" Basically, what I am trying to say to you here, is that your average person would likely not be interested in seeing a show that's just about an X-Men character coming of age. Professor X's origin is unique in that almost every major event of his fictional life has something to with the larger X-Men mythos, and he was involved with the military and government at several stages. This is also why Wolverine's back story is interesting.

BTW, they need to do away with Colossus's origin. Collective farms don't exist anymore and I imagine farmers in Russia do pretty well in the modern day considering their non-GMO policies. Unless of course it's a period piece, which at times I feel like the X-Men needs to be considering how many characters are tied to real world events and societal woes of the 1980s in America are way more conducive to the mutant metaphor than the modern day.

This is why X-Factor Investigations is ideal. Most of the characters has more peripheral powers and none of them are all that bizarre looking.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpendejo: You’re still most likely right. Merchandising drives funding and is an incentive for large corporations.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: If you make a tv episode on Storm as a thief under Shadow King’s thumb, that would most certainly work. Make it about Storms struggle to survive, to steal, and to control her powers while someone else is pulling the strings in her mind until Xavier comes along. Not movie worthy, but you really underestimated the episode potential of a Storm backstory.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Koays  Online

@cattlebattle: Definitely true. It's not like some of these characters are really publicly known. Even mainstays like Nightcrawler are really C or D listers in the grand scheme of popular superheroes.

But its does say something that shows like Cloak and Dagger and Runaways are about these completely obscure Superheroes and can be successful enough to get multiple seasons despite not even really having large comic followings. Even Legion kinda gets away with having a semi known(at best) X-Men villain as a protagonist, but trades more on story quality then X-Men lure. So maybe not a traditional coming of age story....but you could definitely stretch the source material for a few seasonal conflicts that would entertain the uninitiated.

Though as I finish this I think about how the show.more closely tied with the X-Men mythos is so much poorer then Legion (the show you wouldnt even know was about X-Men stuff). Whatever.

I really do want them to start back up the X-Men Origins books. I mean it was one thing for the OG X-Men and Emma to sort of collect and show us what we already know. But alot of the X-Men have these 40 year old background stories or were apart of really 70's and 80s situations. It's not really the Marvel style to refresh an origin like that, but definetly something like that would benefit them. Like the other day discussing the death of Storms parents and it hits you that she would age 15-20 years if that was referenced as much as her being a thief or a goddess.

Honestly yea, X-Factors first couple of arcs could almost be completely lifted from the source and mined for stuff without losing anything major for the transition. It's hard to find another answer given what we've seen does and doesnt work.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By tparks  Online

I would make an awesome series then cancel it the day after it releases.

Netflix is not the place for Marvel anymore.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HAWK2916

@cattlebattle: Love the idea of Xavier before the Xmen and each episode having a different feel.

In fact the idea of a show based on Origins could work wonders I think because there is enough drama in just the origins to do something interesting. Even for fans of war dramas and all doing a show like Logan based on his early days could work well. Jeans early life as well even Scott's life works. Storm being young and being a thief for the Shadow King and being rescued by Xavier works well. I even like the idea, and this is a bit of a tweek to the original story, of Xavier actually being crippled by Shadow King and not Lucifer (alien) whatever. You could introduce Sage here also. I'd even make Cassandra Nova Xavier's younger sister possibly even his twin but born with progeria and other problems and thought dead but that make her family institutionalize her while Xavier goes in to thrive. Telling Rogues story could work as well as even telling Gambits. There so much that could work.

I think even a story set in the future like Bishop's timeline combined with the Summers Rebellion stuff would be interesting. Especially considering the love affair people have with zombie and vampire shows....Bishop fighting Emplates and having dealings with the Exhumes, XSE and XUE going about things in different ways kinda similar to Xmen vs Brotherhood. The growing up in a mutant concentration camp- which coukd effectively tell an updated version of Magnetos story, the tragedy of what happened to his sister, him policing a sort of mutant town, fighting Fitzroy, even add him seeking out and solving the mystery of whoever supposedly betrayed the Xmen, to finding Destiny's Diaries and running missions based on that.....there's so much with that tineline that could work and be expanded upon. Sure it may have a bit an after the Xmen feel similar to Gifted but it's set in the future and could capitalize on alot of what popular these days...you get the horror scifi element of the vampire/zombie genre,you have the action of the superhero genre, the police drama, the futuristic dystopian, even a mystery and revenge story, and possibly a psychological element as well as a war setting element and for those that enjoyed Timeless and like the time travel aspect of things, a story with Fitzroy escaping into the past or whatever might work. Having something on the Netflix format or whatever other paid to subscription service might help with the budget as opposed to Fox and Gifted. Plus Bishop's ability might be pretty much budget friendly and could be made to look good

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Koays  Online

@tparks: I thought the reason all the netflix shows got canceled was because when Thanos snapped he erased all there lead actors from the world.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: I discussed above that I think it would be sort of difficult to make a series out of most of the X-Men's origins. In the case of someone like Storm and her time as a thief, how many episodes could you dedicate to her just stealing stuff before people become uninterested?? The reason Xavier works is because a lot of his history is essentially precursors to common X-Men ideas, like he knows villains like Magneto, Juggernaut, and Sauron beforehand, and he meets characters like Moira, Storm, Mirage's father etc which sets the stage for later in the X-Men chronology. I feel like looking in depth at something like Rogue's backstory would be interesting to us but not to a general audience.

I also went with Xavier because I was trying to be more pragmatic and I feel like the series would be sort of inexpensive other than Astral Plane stuff and my reimagining of Lucifer. It also helps that telepathy wouldn't be too difficult to portray on screen without any effects. I would love for their to be a Cable series or something with him fighting in the future along with the Askani but, it, realistically that would probably require a lot of resources.

@koays I never really liked specific origin books. Some of the characters origins just aren't all that wondrous so they have to try to inject stuff into it to make it more interesting and it just feels unnecessary. Like what they tried to do in the Colosssus Bloodlines series where Colossus is indeed related to the actual Rasputin and he was mystical figure that he had to fight. So corny. Like, I don't need to know the whole life story of someone like Emma Frost, sometimes what you don't know is more important. Just look at Wolverine for example, who was awesome until they detailed almost every year of his fictional life to the point where it became silly.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Koays  Online

@cattlebattle: Eh, I'll give you that Colossus and Rasputin is....well its disgustingly out of touch for what the character is. And just one of many attempts to make him edgy that falls flat.

I personally like origin books, especially if their just oneshots for members of a team. Taking a character like Jean and flashing us back to her as a child developing powers through a traumatic moment and showing us the first glimpse of what we know she'll one day be capable of is just interesting to me and when done write can spike interest in a character alot.

Wolverine. Smh theres nothing else to say at this point. We have so much of his backstory we can get from the 1800's to about 97 without missing a day one the calendar. Idk if revealing it was wrong, but what they did and how they did it didn't work especially now that the mystique is long gone with alot of fans.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: LOL, the Jean Gry issue of the Origins series was pretty much the only good one, so, it's funny you singled out that one.

The point I keep trying to articulate here is that you can get a lot of hokey crap by trying to manufacture thrills where there might not be any.

Wolverine's past is all messed up. We should have never learned that much about it because the lack of knowledge about it made him more interesting.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Yeah, I remember Sense 8 by the Matrix weirdos, that show was awful. The problem with most X-men is that outside of a selective few their backstories aren't all that interesting. Take Storm for example, her parents died, she worked as thief for the Shadow King, met Tchalla at some point, then went and helped primitive African tribes with their agriculture via weather. There, I just explained it in a sentence. There wouldn't be enough interesting substance to create an entire film, or a TV episode out of at least. And even if you did, you would have to find yourself doing something hokey like injecting some sort of antagonist into every episode just for manufactured drama. It, would be nonsensical and feel very silver age-y.

Yeah, people tend to think that television and movie studios have no problem throwing millions of dollars into these TV shows and films when it is quite the opposite. The problem with an X-Men series is that there is a ton of subtleties people don't account for. Something as simple as Storm flying, which she does all the time comics. It would take a considerable amount of technical prowess to make her flight look realistic, a show as simple as Supergirl has her flying as little as possible because it is expensive to animate it.

Well yeah, that's why they chose the Marvel characters they did, because shows with those characters would be easier to make and more cost effective, and they wound up cancelling them anyways. Do you think if they had inifinite moneys to make these shows they would have chosen Luke Cage and Jessica Jones of all characters?? That's why I chose a short, Professor X series, because you could get away with most of it without huge special effects and expenses.

Actually, those are already the icings on a cake. Showing Storm's powers alone (shown in different and creative ways will make every episode very interesting.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HAWK2916

Showing or detailing some if the popular Xmen's origin stories along with @cattlebattle's idea of a Xavier series and all of the things that happened to Xavier and his experiences and then showing the work he put into a school and recruiting his students and telling their story as he recruits would make for a great show in my opinion.

I could also see going the animation route which allows for a lot more creativity and is easier on the budget when you're not paying actors and live doing sets and hoping it's realistic looking. Animation or CGI with a PG13 rating or so in the serious vein of how the Asian market takes their animation could be somewhat innovative in the US. I'm thinking of the recent Spiderman into the Spiderverse outing

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By adamTRMM

I agree with the thread's consensus completely, X-factor seems like the most obvious and right choice. About the lineup, I'd say as close to PAD's Vol.3. Less hax powered mutants, more simpler gifts.

Academy X is another nice choice, but I'll be fearing for its creative choices knowing recent trends in US.

I also have a different Legion show in mind. Think about a blend of Shutter Island, Inside (short), Inception, Revolver, Identity, The Fountain, Sucker Punch and Stay with superhero tropes and mutant metaphor.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Academy X is another nice choice, but I'll be fearing for its creative choices knowing recent trends in US.

Elaborate. I'm genuinely curious of your perspective considering you're from the outside looking in.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle:

I'm talking about the neoliberal, collectivist vision of identity politics. Diversity and inclusion is good, but individualism is what they completely demolish in the process and it's really sad. I'd love to see characters with various ideas and perceptions of reality, not just the trendy trumblr pleasing ones, people, and especially teens, aren't as homogeneous. Yes, mob mentality and impulsiveness are strong among them, but that's actually is what should be criticized and called out, not the other way around.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@cattlebattle:

I'm talking about the neoliberal, collectivist vision of identity politics. Diversity and inclusion is good, but individualism is what they completely demolish in the process and it's really sad. I'd love to see characters with various ideas and perceptions of reality, not just the trendy trumblr pleasing ones, people, and especially teens, aren't as homogeneous. Yes, mob mentality and impulsiveness are strong among them, but that's actually is what should be criticized and called out, not the other way around.

Yeah, that's what I figured you meant. I just didn't want to assume. It goes beyond the identity politics as well, just about any view considered leftist is pretty much shoved into things. I can't tell you how many things I see these days have some sort of pro refugee message. I got a double whammee from it one week with the new X-Force comic and the Young Justice series, bot of which had very similar plots with a political figure using a refugee crisis to gain power or something.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By adamTRMM

@cattlebattle:

Call me a cynic (and well, I guess I am, comes with the baggage), but to me there's a difference between women, children and old people, and majorly young healthy men when it comes to the title of "refugee".

I got a double whammee from it one week with the new X-Force comic and the Young Justice series, bot of which had very similar plots with a political figure using a refugee crisis to gain power or something.

The amount of flat out social and political manipulation that comes with it makes you think twice. So if done right, that could be a strong message. Erdogan got Europe by the balls with the refugee crisis, so it's reflective. But something telling me that wasn't the case here, amirite?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: lol I agree about who might be the creator of the show and what they may try to do. However the Netflix format seems to be about just making the show what you want it to be as opposed to the network style of making the show to conform to some sjw agenda or checking some type of diversity box in hopes of getting some glaad award or something showing how "progressive" the show/netowork/writers are.

And I definitely feel similar when it comes to the refugee stuff. Sure maybe help the women and children but honestly why run to a country that doesn't want you and also has a history of racism, seems like you should make another choice. Then you see these healthy men running as refugees and I'm like why don't you grow a pair and fight?

My feeling is if they want refugee status fine, house the women and children and older people but the men will have to do time in the military and serve abroad immediately. Also come in legally and we can talk....sorry for the mini rant. Lol

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think an X-Factor show would click. It may have a good direction but will a lot of people watch it? No.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916:

I'm actually fearing to even get into a detailed discussion about that stuff because the rant won't stop. The issue is so messed up, and the brainwashing involved drives me nuts. It's like behind the virtue signaling everything else is just within the spectrum of evil when it comes to criticism. How come pluralism is so disrespected these days? And people on either side getting even more radical which sucks for the rest of us. Like I said, I have a lot to say on the issue, but it will have to be in a different format lol

I don't even know when was the last time I watched something about adolescents. Not even sure how it changed over the years. But taking nods from the comics and having its spirit would be perfect. They had different people of different backgrounds and made it work and coexist within their community. Perfect X-format to me.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cattlebattle
    @adamtrmm said:

@cattlebattle:

Call me a cynic (and well, I guess I am, comes with the baggage), but to me there's a difference between women, children and old people, and majorly young healthy men when it comes to the title of "refugee".

Oh, you mean you don't think boat loads of 30 year old, healthy looking Africans with Iphones are legit refugees?? It's good to know you are a bigot!!!!!!!! ;D

@adamtrmm said:

The amount of flat out social and political manipulation that comes with it makes you think twice. So if done right, that could be a strong message. Erdogan got Europe by the balls with the refugee crisis, so it's reflective. But something telling me that wasn't the case here, amirite?

Yeah, it's literal propaganda, but it doesn't get considered so because it's following the mainstream narrative, which is far left. And no, the stories in both instances are about some warmongering dude who wants to exploit the refugee situation to murder someone and attain power. Super villains basically. I don't think guys like Orban and Edrogan are fair comparisons.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle:

Oh, you mean you don't think boat loads of 30 year old, healthy looking Africans with Iphones are legit refugees?? It's good to know you are a bigot!!!!!!!! ;D

It numbs my brain people don't naturally ask those questions. It's the definition of what economic migrants really are. Those regressive leftists will force people to become bigoted radicals, and that's pretty damn tragic...

Yeah, it's literal propaganda, but it doesn't get considered so because it's following the mainstream narrative, which is far left. And no, the stories in both instances are about some warmongering dude who wants to exploit the refugee situation to murder someone and attain power. Super villains basically. I don't think guys like Orban and Edrogan are fair comparisons.

That sounds perfectly Erdogan lol

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but the X-Factor concept sounds dark and boring that people would want to see a fun The Runaways tv show more.

If you've read Squirrel Girl's ongoing series, that's a good series to make it a tv series. Ryan North is just genius.

Since we all don't want the major X-men characters to fill up the television too ( and just focused them on films/movies ),

I would prefer a tv series focused on the students. Instead of titling the tv series on either of the various X-men school names, I would prefer to just name the tv series as the The Uncanny X-Teens. The title itself sounds interesting and fun.

The main characters would be:

Armor - to keep Asians interested

Beak - so the physically less-fortunate people can relate

Nature Girl - for children to be amazed on her Snow-White-like powers

Shark-Girl - well, sharks are popular. if there's a superstrong guy in the team, there's also a superstrong girl in the team ( there's going to be an episode for boys vs girls

Gentle - to represent African-Americans

Hollow - to give a mysterious feel for the series

Chamber - British representative

The assigned teacher will be: Jubilee

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Koays  Online

bump

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh. I still like the idea of Hope and the Age of Apocalypse setting. I completely forgot about this idea though.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cattlebattle

Outdated thread. Marvel and Netflix don't work together anymore :0

Seriously though, someone above detailed an awesome sounding Xavier mini series, it would probably be interesting to do ones based on certain characters. Otherwise, I think it would be difficult to do an X-men series, the budget would require way too many resources for everything, that's why the X-men work best in the comic medium.

You could probably do series based on X-Factor investigations, most of their powers wouldn't be too difficult to pull off and none of them outside of Strong Guy were that physically abnormal.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a Disney+ series titled something like Xavier files where each of the Xmen solo origin stories and their recruitment to the Xmen is chronicled. Do it like a mini maybe. So Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Storm, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Gambit, Kitty etc. This could cover a good bit of ground so that when the MCU movie finally comes out it could hit the ground running and avoid tye Fox movies downfall of trying to tell origin stories and establish a new team while trying to pack as many mutants into a 2 hour film as possible.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life of rachel would be a good tv series. from 818 to 616 to mojoverse to excalibur to end of time back to 616 to space missions to earth x to 616

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Factor Investigations

Season 1 is probably investigating the death of Jumbo Carnation.

Nightcrawler (filling Rahne's role + adding some recognizability)
    Madrox
    Monet
    Rictor
    Siryn (maybe taking some of Rahne's storylines as well)

Recurring: Layla Miller

Season 2 addition: Shatterstar

Academy X

I would take inspiration from a Gen X storyline and have the kids try to integrate into a largely 'all-human' school. Play into how different characters will integrate better than others and how that ends up affecting the group.

Kid Omega
    Surge
    Angel
    Wind Dancer
    Anole
    Dust
    Prodigy

Recurring:
    The Cuckoos
    Ernst
    Beak
    Pixie

(if the budget could handle Rockslide and Mercury they would definitely be added)

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selina_sublime: you dont like Rahne lol?

Thats a fresh take on Academy X. Seems interesting

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.