Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Better Match (Couple) Between Scott, Jean and Emma

• 57 results
    ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Edited By ursaber

Poll Better Match (Couple) Between Scott, Jean and Emma (47 votes)

Scott & Jean 60%
    Scott & Emma 40%

Personally, I prefer Scott and Jean.

Sadly their relationship was greatly damaged and dare I say, sabotaged due to many factors such as Jean's resurrection after Dark Phoenix Saga, Scott abandoning Madelyne Pryor, Scott getting darkened thanks to Apocalypse, the third wheel that was Wolverine, Grant Morrison's run which basically just intentionally strained the couple's relationship by making both partners cheat on each other. To me, they were both written way out of character during their "marital troubles" phase.

Emma, after Jean died was kinda reduced to a Cyclops cheerleader. Her whole theme was All for Cyclops. That's what it seemed to me because I stopped reading X-Men after Jean died her last death.

But I want to know what everyone here thinks and maybe get some POV's about which coupling is better and why. There's probably been this type of poll before but... whatever.

• 
    SammyGothic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ursaber said:

Scott needs to take some alone time as a bachelor and even call it quits on leading a team and instead be solo or a team member. That would spice things up for Cyclops. Although you could say that he finally has some alone time now that he's dead.

Agree with you 100%, i even wrote this exact same thing on my other profile i forgot username and password lol XD

I would like to see him without any team and how he would handle things on his own without having a team to rely on, that could be interesting.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By GladeusEx

Scott and Jean make the better couple, but I do prefer Emma Frost as a character overall.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott and Jean make the better couple, but I do prefer Emma Frost as a character overall.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. She is a great character in her own right and it would be a lie to say that she and Scott don't have an interesting relationship. But for me, it will always be Scott and Jean.

Wait a minute, does that mean you like the character of Emma more than both Scott and Jean individually? Still nothing wrong with that but want to clarify.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @gladeusex said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. She is a great character in her own right and it would be a lie to say that she and Scott don't have an interesting relationship. But for me, it will always be Scott and Jean.

Wait a minute, does that mean you like the character of Emma more than both Scott and Jean individually? Still nothing wrong with that but want to clarify.

Long Story: She's had a complex, nuanced and ethically dubious backstory and writing style that - when done well, is the highlight of the comics she's in. In Marvel Avengers Alliance, she was one of the mainstays of that Facebook game, and was one of the leading reasons I got into Marvel Unlimited.

Scott and Jean have the deeper more iconic relationship, while Scott and Emma have a more tumultuous rebound sort of vibe. Both are interesting over their runs, but the former is the more well known movie variant. As for my preference overall, I'm more likely to buy or read a comic with Emma Frost in it, than a comic with Scott, Jean, both, or them in a relationship. A well written Emma Frost is a flavour of wit that I gravitate to.

Short version: Emma is bae.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both have their ups and downs....and both depend HEAVILY on the person writing them.

At their best, Scott and Emma are a pair that both make each other better and stronger. Emma's support helped make scott the leader he needed to be when the X-men needed that single leader the most. And Scott was always there to remind Emma that she had reformed and wasn't the person she was before. But there was still interest and conflict as both of them ended up questioning if the path they were going down was right, and Jean's shadow was of course always an issue.

At their worst however, it was the Scott Summers show with Emma being little more than a cheerleader, or relegated completely to arm and eye candy. He then becomes so focused on his mission that he barely pays attention to her, and she so utterly devoted that she cant even let go when he dies.

Scott and Jean at their best also a couple who both support each other. They both had a lot of personal issues that they were able to find comfort in each other. While a lot of their previous history I would say hasn't aged well into modern storytelling, there is something pure and enduring about it. They both truly loved each other, and despite the personal and "storyline" roadblocks they ran into, it was never a question that they didn't love each other, even at the end. This was a problem with Emma as she always felt she was in Jean's shadow, scotts second choice....and the thing is, sometimes she wasn't wrong, while he did love Emma, when he questioned himself alone, it was often Jean he thought of.

If there was a downside to them though, id say its complacency. Emma pushed Scott to be more than he was, while Jean could tend to let him be as he was. What he needed sometimes was a kick and in the pants to get going, such as his problems after possession. He wasn't getting that with Jean.

Personally, I cant decide which I like more.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both have their ups and downs....and both depend HEAVILY on the person writing them.

At their best, Scott and Emma are a pair that both make each other better and stronger. Emma's support helped make scott the leader he needed to be when the X-men needed that single leader the most. And Scott was always there to remind Emma that she had reformed and wasn't the person she was before. But there was still interest and conflict as both of them ended up questioning if the path they were going down was right, and Jean's shadow was of course always an issue.

At their worst however, it was the Scott Summers show with Emma being little more than a cheerleader, or relegated completely to arm and eye candy. He then becomes so focused on his mission that he barely pays attention to her, and she so utterly devoted that she cant even let go when he dies.

Scott and Jean at their best also a couple who both support each other. They both had a lot of personal issues that they were able to find comfort in each other. While a lot of their previous history I would say hasn't aged well into modern storytelling, there is something pure and enduring about it. They both truly loved each other, and despite the personal and "storyline" roadblocks they ran into, it was never a question that they didn't love each other, even at the end. This was a problem with Emma as she always felt she was in Jean's shadow, scotts second choice....and the thing is, sometimes she wasn't wrong, while he did love Emma, when he questioned himself alone, it was often Jean he thought of.

If there was a downside to them though, id say its complacency. Emma pushed Scott to be more than he was, while Jean could tend to let him be as he was. What he needed sometimes was a kick and in the pants to get going, such as his problems after possession. He wasn't getting that with Jean.

Personally, I cant decide which I like more.

Nice. Well thought out analysis on them both.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.