Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 12857 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Better Match (Couple) Between Scott, Jean and Emma

• 57 results
    ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Edited By ursaber

Poll Better Match (Couple) Between Scott, Jean and Emma (47 votes)

Scott & Jean 60%
    Scott & Emma 40%

Personally, I prefer Scott and Jean.

Sadly their relationship was greatly damaged and dare I say, sabotaged due to many factors such as Jean's resurrection after Dark Phoenix Saga, Scott abandoning Madelyne Pryor, Scott getting darkened thanks to Apocalypse, the third wheel that was Wolverine, Grant Morrison's run which basically just intentionally strained the couple's relationship by making both partners cheat on each other. To me, they were both written way out of character during their "marital troubles" phase.

Emma, after Jean died was kinda reduced to a Cyclops cheerleader. Her whole theme was All for Cyclops. That's what it seemed to me because I stopped reading X-Men after Jean died her last death.

But I want to know what everyone here thinks and maybe get some POV's about which coupling is better and why. There's probably been this type of poll before but... whatever.

• 
    Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Scott and Jean, I guess.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

scott and jean.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:

Scott and Jean, I guess.

Would you be willing to say why?

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @invain said:

Scott and Jean, I guess.

They're just more iconic and definitely have more of a impact on X-Men lore.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:
    @ursaber said:
    @invain said:

Scott and Jean, I guess.

They're just more iconic and definitely have more of a impact on X-Men lore.

I agree with that sentiment. Since I left the X-Men comics in mid 2000's, basically after Jean died, my knowledge of X-Men and Scott and Emma is really limited.

I just wanted to get the POV of you guys here the more experienced and caught up X-Men readers. Jean and Scott were heavily sabotaged and that's probably why Marvel failed them. That and bad out of character writing.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott and Jean are iconic. Emma and Scott were interesting.

Scott and Jean was great as one of the longstanding foundations of the franchise. Emma and Scott were mostly interesting because it wasnt Scott and Jean and the dynamic of it not being Scott and Jean added to the story on multiple levels both inside and out do to the many divergences from the status quo that also took place during that period.

Scott and Emma is a right time and place thing that became awesome but couldve fell flat if it happened during say Gen X or even if fully happened during Morrisons run. Scott and Jean getting together at any moment would be awesome because its history and status as a iconic tenant of the series. Even if Scott and Jean had 100 relationships they would still seem illegitimate compared to the two of them together.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean and Emma

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Koays

Better match though....eh Scott and Jean seem like they could sort of do anything and still end up the retired old and happy couple.

Scott and Emma seem like the perfect match in a work enviornment, but if one of them loses their ambition or drive (as Cyke is prone to do) it would cause tension. If Cyke decided to quit X-life and become a 3rd grade teacher it would bother Emma. Whereas Jean would be all follow your dream. And where Jean is likely to maintain her own ambition in someway she seems just as capable of stepping away from it all. Emma will be old and gray and still, for better or worse, trying to play a role in world events. Which conflicts greatly with Cykes development as a guy playing a role because he feels he has to fill the spot.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would someone be kind enough to compare for me the JeanXScott and ScottXEmma relationships cause I am hard pressed to recall if Jean and Scott were an preliminary first significant romance but not the definitive couple. If so how would they rekindle or reconcile in that sense if both Original Jean and Cyclops were to return from the dead, cause they're both dead now.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott and Jean.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#11 god_spawn  Moderator

Scott and Emma

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or how about Jean and Emma?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott and Madelyne... Cause I love me some Cable.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or how about Jean and Emma?

Love it. Man why did I not include that in the polls!

MTOL008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok that will probably be not very well received but lets go.
    Scott and Emma.
    why
    Scott and Jean were always a very dysfunctional relationship, there is love in there " yes Im sure, probably mostlike to the proximately to grow together in a difficult phase of society". even taking in consideration that most of S and J Story was write in 90's 00's and having woman with a strong position but still with a touch of sexism Scott was a terrible husband. so hes girl die, and he start to date and married a lady that looks just like her have baby and all, but discover that she didn't really die, so he dump hes wife to get back with her "girl/ new wife ", later on comes a new girl around and he start to have a "psychicaffair" with her until hes so call wife find out dump him, at least he wait until she die again to make official with hes "new girl" (that is no angel that say that). and with hes new girl he keep always remembering and sometimes comparing her to hes ex wife ( until a younger version of hes exwife come alone and he have a very uncomfortable scene with her that I can only describe as a possible Pedophilia case cause she is literally a girl ( 16 or 17) and he was past 40 and something.)
    Scott and Emma, is hard to talk about Scott and Emma without mentioning Jean, I feel that he was always trying to be the best, be in the center and making sure that He was the one helping and a good boy, and that was hard on hes relationship with Jean( and because he was a jerk) but I feel that he didnt have to try to be a good guy with Emma he was just he and she was very Inlove with him and he would follow him until the end no question ask and she did, I dont totally love IvsX but what Emma did bad or good was a prove of her love, want to leave a image of the one she love the way he ( in her mind) deserve, they were not a perfect couple too, but a better fit in my opinion than Scott and Jean.
    Scott and Jean + high school sweethearth = sometimes work out but is a relationship with a expire date.
    Scott and Emma + carnal, a adult love no explanation.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ursaber

@mtol008:

The way I see it, Jean x Scott were heavily sabotaged. BTW, they graduated high school before starting something together so its more like college sweetheart and that's different. The inclusion of Wolverine as a third wheel, Cyclops leaving Madelyne, the 90's crisis, Scott getting possessed by Apocalypse, the bad blood of bringing Jean back to life after Phoenix Saga. The writers just wanted to do their own stuff with the characters but not taking into consideration the future of said character. Marvel loves to piss on the idea of married characters and when that happens they become targets for elimination. Just ask Spider Man and Mary Jane. Jean and Scott have more than just a high school romance. They actually have very common psychological issues and struggle with their powers and a intrinsic telepathic connection from before they met. Problem was the writing during Morrison's run.

I guess you can also be right about Scott x Emma, but at the same time, their relationship was reduced to Emma being a cheerleader to Scott.

MTOL008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@mtol008:

The way I see it, Jean x Scott were heavily sabotaged. BTW, they graduated high school before starting something together so its more like college sweetheart and that's different. The inclusion of Wolverine as a third wheel, Cyclops leaving Madelyne, the 90's crisis, Scott getting possessed by Apocalypse, the bad blood of bringing Jean back to life after Phoenix Saga. The writers just wanted to do their own stuff with the characters but not taking into consideration the future of said character. Marvel loves to piss on the idea of married characters and when that happens they become targets for elimination. Just ask Spider Man and Mary Jane. Jean and Scott have more than just a high school romance. They actually have very common psychological issues and struggle with their powers and a intrinsic telepathic connection from before they met. Problem was the writing during Morrison's run.

I guess you can also be right about Scott x Emma, but at the same time, their relationship was reduced to Emma being a cheerleader to Scott.

Emma being a cheerleader to Scott
    and that was what he always want!

yeah I agreed many things could go different. I dont think the writes F up the couple, they were just write in this way, thats all. they had many problems in the relationship and in around but Scott made maaaany D moves that was not necessary ( again that was the way he was write, the could being write as an great guy but was not what happen)
    Scott was too homeboy with Jean they never had that FIRE ( phoenix joke) that lust.
    she had that with Logan.
    he have that with Emma.
    I think alot of the relationship come from the situation as we agreed before, 2 good exemplos is that most of other universe they were not a couple. and other exemplo is the time displace Jean and Scott do not feel inclination in a relationship, they did but mostly because they saw that was what happen in the future so they question they selfs, but after that they move on and Scott like always start going around that dirty dog lol.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mtol008:

Gotta disagree with you on Jean and Scott not having that spark/fire. Could not be more wrong there. They've had it for the longest time, longer than both of them have been with Wolvie and Emma. What Jean had with Logan was an unexplained attraction but what Scott and Jean had together was something on a whole other level entirely. A lot of the mistakes BOTH Jean and Scott did where very out of character and the writers just writing them that way is nothing less than bad writing.

Also unlike with Wolvie and Emma, Scott and Jean have had countless descendants such as Rachel and Nathaniel (not Cable, X-Man) and many more signifying their intrinsic relationship with one another. And quite the contrary in the most notable AU's Scott and Jean do end up together and as I've said before have a long list of descendants. That can't be said the same for Jean and Wolvie and Scott and Emma.

Marvel just wanted to do different stuff with them and move them on but no matter what, the iconic and legendary X couple will always be Jean and Scott. I've always seen Emma's influence on Scott steering him down a darker unheroic path making him more severe when he should be a hero but then again, heroes in Marvel nowadays behave like anything but being heroes.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all honesty, it has to do with the version of Scott we are going with. If we are going with the one that fully believed in Xavier's dream, in Xavier's way of doing things, than Jean. He was wholesome, he was dedicated, and he was more of a dreamer, imagining his future with Jean.

If we went with Revolutionary Scott, the one who changed, than Emma. He was more realistic and all about what they were gonna do currently. Scott had gone through the deepest parts, the darkest parts, made all the controversial decisions that made people compare him to Magneto. Emma was the supporter of whoever Scott was and was willing to accept him for his faults.

BlindingLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott and Jean because I don't like Emma Frost.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ursaber

@pyrofn said:

If we went with Revolutionary Scott, the one who changed, than Emma. He was more realistic and all about what they were gonna do currently. Scott had gone through the deepest parts, the darkest parts, made all the controversial decisions that made people compare him to Magneto. Emma was the supporter of whoever Scott was and was willing to accept him for his faults.

And there's the Scott who would return from the dead after living both types of lives you stated above. A new path would unfold before him and we've yet to know what it is. Maybe a definitive version of Scott where he merges the best elements of his Idealistic Heroic version and his Mutant Revolutionary version.

Problem with his Revolutionary version is Scott's morally ambiguous and grey view of the world which will lead him to making some questionable and unheroic decisions and as such Emma is supporting a bad stance, but then again she herself is a reformed villain who still has her old tendencies. Scott is a hero, not an anti-hero. Its time for Marvel's heroes to return being to being heroes.

Unfortunately we can't just use a phase or stage in Scott's life for this, it has to be the whole package of Cyclops, good and anti-hero, idealistic and revolutionary, everything that he is.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott and Emma have a better dynamic.

MsSelene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott and Jean.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would Jean be able to work together (romantically) with Scott's current personality? Jean is no stranger to radical actions so... IDK

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao anytime I see "Scott and Jean were only high-school sweethearts", like this two pretended to date while in college and when they were working, then later dated officially, then we're together during X-Factor, then raised a kid for 12 years, but nobody, they were just high-school sweethearts. They weren't even together when they were in high school.

Anyway, the real answer is StormxJean

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ursaber

Lmfao anytime I see "Scott and Jean were only high-school sweethearts", like this two pretended to date while in college and when they were working, then later dated officially, then we're together during X-Factor, then raised a kid for 12 years, but nobody, they were just high-school sweethearts. They weren't even together when they were in high school.

Anyway, the real answer is StormxJean

Yeah, its stupid to write off ScottXJean as an immature high school romance given their entire history. These two are soulmates, end of story.

Yeah I forgot to put it on the polls: Jean and Storm OR Jean and Emma.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber:

I of course kid about Jean and Emma, as I really don't think Jean swings that way. I mean anything is possible, but I'm not really seeing it. Rachel, yes. Jean, not so much.

Unless Bendis suddenly decides to pull an Iceman and it turns out her failed marriage to Scott was due to her being a closet lesbian all along.

I probably shouldn't tempt fate.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ursaber

@ashetdust:

Yeah I know but it was still a great, funny and super hot and sexy compromise. I know it wasn't serious but it was still pretty alluring. Jean is a straight heterosexual. However I'd settle for her being a Bi.

PhoenixEgg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of the character destruction caused to the female character in each relationship, I'd say they are both equally bad.

In terms of things that should be revisited again in the comics one day, I would say neither.

Hopefully they bring both Jean and Emma back and do right by them.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you mean?

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @phoenixegg said:

How do you mean?

Helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott and Jean

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

David_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott and Jean.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

David_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: They seemed more interesting to me. The only time that i really liked Scott and Emma was in New Xmen. With Jean there was a deeper relationship.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: They seemed more interesting to me. The only time that i really liked Scott and Emma was in New Xmen. With Jean there was a deeper relationship.

You mean when they were having an affair.

David_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Yeah That was the only time they were interesting. They became boring once they actually got together.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Yeah That was the only time they were interesting. They became boring once they actually got together.

Not a fan or approve of adultery, but at the same I understand. The taboo, the thrill, so forbidden that its attractive and alluring. Humans are weak. Still doesn't excuse Cyclops for doing what he did.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of like Emma and Scott together more.

While I really enjoy Jean and Scott as a couple, it always felt too cliche to me. The lone girl in the group falls for the brave leader? It's a 60's theme that really hasn't aged well in my opinion.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of like Emma and Scott together more.

While I really enjoy Jean and Scott as a couple, it always felt too cliche to me. The lone girl in the group falls for the brave leader? It's a 60's theme that really hasn't aged well in my opinion.

I can understand that. But at the same, time they did kinda outgrew that theme and became a true modern relationship. Only thing that really got in my nerves was them always calling out to each other SCOTT JEAN! And not just in the animated series.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Jean's a perfect first love and high school crush, Emma is who you marry.

O__O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emma.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15 said:

Jean's a perfect first love and high school crush, Emma is who you marry.

That's a really common misconception about Jean being a high school crush. That's the woman who's been with Cyclops through thick and thin and to say that their relationship was just a high school crush is simply insulting.

SammyGothic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate love triangles and both Scott/jean and Scott/Emma had love triangle, ,so i would say none but if i have to chose i would say Scott/Emma simply because it has less love triangle and drama.

I just think Scott needs to be with someone else, someone dif than Jean or Emma.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate love triangles and both Scott/jean and Scott/Emma had love triangle, ,so i would say none but if i have to chose i would say Scott/Emma simply because it has less love triangle and drama.

I just think Scott needs to be with someone else, someone dif than Jean or Emma.

I've always promoted and believed Scott x Jean. However what Scott needs is NO woman. Seriously the guys has almost never been without a girlfriend or wife. First it was Jean for the majority until she died in DPS. Then it was first waifu Madelyne Pryor, then a resurrected Jean Grey who finally went on to become husband and wife (FINALLY at the time) and then Emma came into the picture and he was with her up until his death.

Scott needs to take some alone time as a bachelor and even call it quits on leading a team and instead be solo or a team member. That would spice things up for Cyclops. Although you could say that he finally has some alone time now that he's dead.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: scott and jean.....scott and jean....scott and jean......scott and jean.......scott and jean

i guess im a die hard jott fan and jean grey fan .....although scott and jean's relationship was more basic and plain.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: traditional is the word you're looking for. However their relationship was enduring, mature, nurturing, epic and ideal. It came off boring at times but so does EVERY major romance eve great ones like Peter and MJ and Scott add Emma are also guilty of that. Another thing that might affect any long time X fan is the 90's animated series and the incessant SCOTT JEAN yelling.

If you're a hardcore Jott fan (I am though not hardcore) then I would suggest reading X-Men 92 #5. In here you will see a fully functional and full of working chemistry Scott and Jean as true partners. Jean doesn't faint once and holds her own and Scott doesn't come to her rescue or undermines her. Its ideal for both of them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.