Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Bendis Announces Departure from X-Men and Makes Exclusive Agreement With Marvel [UPDATE]

• 135 results
    TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By TheBlackHood

@arieswarlock: Exactly.

Has Bendis actually finished one entire story during his years on Uncanny? I don't hate his writing but it takes him FOREVER to complete anything. I swear that "Last Will and Testament" of Charles Xavier has been going on for 6 months and can be summarized in a sentence. He did the same thing on New Avengers. Every story was eight issues of dialogue followed by one issue of "Oh sh*t I have to wrap up the story. Splash page here and I'm done." Bendis can be a great writer when he stops trying to the Tarantino of comic dialogue.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

While Bendis has written some of my favorite runs in comics such as Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil, and New Avengers, among other series, his X-Men run has never fully clicked with me. He has done some great things like the creation of Eva Bell, Goldballs, and brought X-23 to the All-New team, I felt this was one of the weaker runs on X-Men in recent times. I'm glad he's leaving. Not because I hate the run or hate Bendis but because now he can put more focus on other titles and projects he's working on while someone else can focus their full time and effort on the X-Franchise.

CanaryLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comic book fans can be such ungrateful SOBs. Bendis did tremendous work for Marvel over the years. His Ultimate Spider-Man run is frigging LEGENDARY. I hate it so much that suddenly people start to make it a trend to hate on formerly beloved comic book writers. I witnessed the same thing with Geoff Johns, Todd McFarlane or recently Mark Millar. It sickens me how easily and fast people forget the amazing things these men have done.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Zarius

@canarylover said:

comic book fans can be such ungrateful SOBs. Bendis did tremendous work for Marvel over the years. His Ultimate Spider-Man run is frigging LEGENDARY. I hate it so much that suddenly people start to make it a trend to hate on formerly beloved comic book writers. I witnessed the same thing with Geoff Johns, Todd McFarlane or recently Mark Millar. It sickens me how easily and fast people forget the amazing things these men have done.

So people should just remember the good, lower their standards, diminish their critical faculties, and blindly purchase/praise everything they do? I'd rather be someone who can think about quality first and idol worship dead last. Nobody is perfect, and creative types can burn out. I like Bendis on X-Men, but thought he was a crap Avengers writer

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishx said:

By no means am I a Bendis hater. His run on DD is one of the best in comics history and I'll even defend his MK series. I don't read Avengers so I didn't experience his writing then but his time with the X-Men has been terrible. As a big X-Men reader I'm very happy to see his departure.

I am in a very similar position. I liked Bendis' run on other books, but I didn't like his run on Avengers and was not able to get on-board when he began writing for the X-Men, one of my favorite teams. I just don't think he's the right writer for certain concepts.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis is good worker for the likes of X-Men and spiderman but for the love of God keep him away fro thor and Guadians of the galaxy

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's scary to say something on this. If I do I might get attacked for being a Bendis hater. Truthfully I haven't liked anything he's written since Alias and I'm sure fans of the Scarlet Witch are just hoping he gets another crack at her.

One question though, will he actually resolve bringing the younger X-men forward in time or is that just going to be left hanging?

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Maddpanda531

I'm going to miss him on the X-Books, especially All-New X-Men. Really hope that series continues past Bendis's departure, I've been loving it so far. I'm actually really excited to find out what he's going to write next, since he's off ANXM, UXM, and Ultimate Spider-Man is ending for Secret Wars. That leaves GotG and GotG Team-Up. No doubt he'll be returning to USM after Secret Wars, but I wonder what his next new project is?

CanaryLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By CanaryLover

@zarius said:

@canarylover said:

So people should just remember the good, lower their standards, diminish their critical faculties, and blindly purchase/praise everything they do? I'd rather be someone who can think about quality first and idol worship dead last. Nobody is perfect, and creative types can burn out. I like Bendis on X-Men, but thought he was a crap Avengers writer

*sigh* this kind of attitude is exactly my point. Its only all or nothing with you people. No you dont need to love everything he does unconditionally but you should show him the respect that he does deserve for the great things he has done. You dont see people hating on the Beatles just because their music in the 70s wasnt as good as their stuff in the 60s. I dont deny you the right to criticise - but I do demand respect for the great legacy these men have created. They are such big names for a reason.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me his legacy is a Scarlet Witch shredding and changing Tigra from a heroine to a whining looser in one fight, making me laugh every time I see her try to be tough. Well that and making Hank McCoy an idiot who messed with the time stream to prove a point to a friend. Nothing like warping the time stream to win an argument.

I know his main legacy is sales but since I'm not part of marvels corporate structure I really can't care any less about sales figures than I do now.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CrystalMaster

@canarylover said:

The problem is that some writers overstay their welcome. or they just stop being good, and when that happens, people get justifiably critical. The best example of this if Frank Miller who wrote the Dark Knight Returns and a famous Daredevil run plus Sin City, but after that he went to crap, Jeff Loeb is another example he wrote Batman Long Halloween and Hush, but he went on to write Ultimatum! My point is that some of these huge name writers do deserve the hate they get when they produce crap. Also Bendis has never been good at writing team books, its his solo series work that shines, and people still phrase his Spiderman work. and Geoff Johns has (at least in my neck of the woods) always had a mixed track record.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and I almost forget the fascist version of Dazler that he introduced as a SHIELD agent.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The good news is that Charles Soule will be writing the x-men titles

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

HE HAD A GOOD RUN.

Excited for a new X_men writer and direction though

~MiB

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully we'll get classic Bendis back on a book and corporate writer Bendis will be gone for good.

Astro_Zombie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I second that, at least his run was better than Brian Wood's run.

Astro_Zombie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I second that, at least his run was better than Brian Wood's run.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: @jonny_anonymous: @cap10nate: @scarlet_rogue:

I wouldn't get your 'hopes' up just yet guys... Though I've also wished he would release the title because the last several GOTG-issues have all had huge problems especially with pacing but if he isn't releasing GOTG then maybe he'll have more time to work his stories now?

Because the last five issues really haven't been from the Bendis I used to read and like.

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Bendis is a awesome writer and I can't wait to see what he does next!

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@teerack said:

This really sucks. Bendis has that sorta Hickman effect where if you give them a short amount of time it feels like their stories didn't get anywhere, but give them a long about of time and it turns into one of the best stories ever. This is a real shame and my hope for the X-Men after secret wars has gotten even smaller.

Yeah.....

It's a shame. I feel like the whole Cyclops revolution has been a bit of a disappointment on the whole.

Both Uncanny/All-New have been so decompressed and disrupted by other stories/events that it feels like they're not even halfway through the overall story arcs they're telling.

Unlike a lot of X-fans who post online, I don't think he's an especially bad writer for the X-franchise. In fact, I think he's pretty good, just that a lil more time is needed.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did people really not like all new x-men .....it was a great story snd still is ....what the hell was going on before bendis took over uncanny and started all new xmen ....because it was weak to me ....xmen legacy sucked at the end and the whole colosus as juggs sucked too ...the x-men were falling off big time and they got exiting to me for awhile with the two opposing sides ....it was kinda the same dynamic that he used between new avengers and mighty avengers during the aftermath of civil war but it was still hot ..people are gonna hate to hate ...you know what books suck now ...amazing x-men after the first story arc and the all female x-men team after the first story arc ...those books are weak ...if those writers left yhose books nobody would care ....even the current amazing x-men book with an intersting plot suffers artwise ...so people are gonna complain oh well you cant please everyone ...i personally thought x-men benefitted from bendis ...lets see what happens after secret wars ...i personally love alternate earths and multiple versions of the same hero ...but i guess theyre gonba dummy it down for the new potential readers ...bendis was appreciated and will be missed by me ....gotg has not got me hooked however but its getting better ...i hope he stays on that book

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did people really not like all new x-men .....it was a great story snd still is ....what the hell was going on before bendis took over uncanny and started all new xmen ....because it was weak to me ....xmen legacy sucked at the end and the whole colosus as juggs sucked too ...the x-men were falling off big time and they got exiting to me for awhile with the two opposing sides ....it was kinda the same dynamic that he used between new avengers and mighty avengers during the aftermath of civil war but it was still hot ..people are gonna hate to hate ...you know what books suck now ...amazing x-men after the first story arc and the all female x-men team after the first story arc ...those books are weak ...if those writers left yhose books nobody would care ....even the current amazing x-men book with an intersting plot suffers artwise ...so people are gonna complain oh well you cant please everyone ...i personally thought x-men benefitted from bendis ...lets see what happens after secret wars ...i personally love alternate earths and multiple versions of the same hero ...but i guess theyre gonba dummy it down for the new potential readers ...bendis was appreciated and will be missed by me ....gotg has not got me hooked however but its getting better ...i hope he stays on that book

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @frozenedge said:

Bendis is leaving the X-Men? The Dark Age of inconsistent characterization and drawn out plots are finally over.

THIS!! Although the All New X-Men was pretty great at the beginning the bigger hope is that he hopefully departs from GotG cause he completely ruined the good continuity of Giffen, Abnett & Lanning.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By wowlock

New X-men is fun enough. Although I still find the concept a bit weird since these are the past selves of now-adult characters and the changes they experience doesn't seem to effect them other than being shot to death ( like Cyclops did at the start and the adult Cyclops also got erased )

I am wondering how he will deal with the drastic changed and new power developements like Jean Grey's since a trip to past and Prof X memory-wipe can't really stop those new powers to exist O.o

I am kinda scared that it will be a mess, must like many things leading to Secret Wars.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#76 god_spawn  Moderator

I love that variant cover. And I'm guessing him leaving finally means fixed powers.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I didn't like the book. I thought I would, gave it a few chances, but always got bored.

In my opinion, Marvel needed someone who liked writing team books for the X-Men, and Bendis never really struck me as a writer who particularly cares for the team dynamic.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

@sasquatch888 said:

No, I didn't like the book. I thought I would, gave it a few chances, but always got bored.

In my opinion, Marvel needed someone who liked writing team books for the X-Men, and Bendis never really struck me as a writer who particularly cares for the team dynamic.

100% Agreed. The art for both of his X-Men books was consistently amazing, imo, but my problems were always with the writing. Some stories dragged on for too long (the current Will arc being a prime example) and some characters sounded like completely different people (Emma Frost and X-23 being the chief offenders). I think Bendis is a good writer, but his X-Men stuff just wasn't all that great for me personally.

Regardless, I'm very interested to see who takes the helm of the franchise now and what direction it'll go, since I'm pretty sure the whole X-Men won't be shelved anytime soon.

brian88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow I thought I was the only one who didn't like Bendis. Best news I've heard all week.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides said:

@sasquatch888 said:

100% Agreed. The art for both of his X-Men books was consistently amazing, imo, but my problems were always with the writing. Some stories dragged on for too long (the current Will arc being a prime example) and some characters sounded like completely different people (Emma Frost and X-23 being the chief offenders). I think Bendis is a good writer, but his X-Men stuff just wasn't all that great for me personally.

Regardless, I'm very interested to see who takes the helm of the franchise now and what direction it'll go, since I'm pretty sure the whole X-Men won't be shelved anytime soon.

Mmmmm, me too. I wonder who'll head the franchise now?

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#82  Edited By LCazT1996

@lcazt1996 said:

@dotwilson said:

This bendis hate makes no sense to me. I really like this run. infact some of the characters he created are the best X characters in years. i'm really upset about this announcement.

I think its mostly the way he handled Cyclops and Emma Frost, who were constantly OoC.

I always hated Scott and Emma anyway.

But I've primarily read All-New as opposed to Uncanny. I like Kitty Pryde (who I think made an OoC decision to leave the Jean Grey school, but I heard that was a Jason Aaron idea, not so much Bendis') and the original five. Idunno, I think he was good for the X-family.

ZoddGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So now can the X-Men go back to being good now?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm pretty happy to hear this. Bendis is better as a writer of a solo book as opposed to the team concept. I think Gillen would have actually done better with and should have been allowed to continue with his iteration and plans for the Uncanny team after AVX. A few things though.... Maybe now something will happen in his books..... Its funny to read all this praise for the guy. Especially when people are talking about All New in which nothing has happened..... Bendis said that he knows about Secret Wars and for a guy who's goal was to surpass Claremont to all of a sudden wrap everything up before Secret Wars begins is a little scary to me. Maybe he's seen what the Marvel U will look like and even in his zany and convoluted mind he can make no sense of it and wants no part of it.... Also I'm worried that sense he's going out he might wreck the Xmen beforehand. You know really troll the fans who have called him out on continuity issues and his pacing and characterization. When it talks about changing everything that gets scary for me.

All that said. I won't sit here and act like Bendis was completely garbage. He does have some interesting ideas and concepts. I've said he would be a great idea guy and maybe even a good editor though continuity is an issue for him. But seriously some of these fanboys singing all these praises now need to chill out. Stop being hypocrites and acting like this guy is a God or something. He made mistakes like everyone else. It just gets magnified a bit when your while schtick is about changing everything. I think its been a long enough run for him and now we can move on. Hopefully he makes more believers with he ends his run in May. Doing that can silence all the so called haters right? Its just funny how when a person expresses an opinion contrary to fanboys they are all of a sudden labeled as haters. It seems that this thread has been inhabited by more Bendis fans as opposed to Xmen fans. Either way Bendis fans can follow his other stuff for their fix

ZoddGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one's I felt really bad for is GotG fans, boy that book is horrid.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By batmite1995

I really enjoyed his uncanny xmen:(

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me start the Get Chuck Austin back petition.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#88 god_spawn  Moderator

@koays said:

Anyone else notice that Uncanny X-Men 600 cover features the cast of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men?

The real cover I think is this

I do love Anka's homage to the Whedon's cast, though.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

You looking to get banned, mate? If not, then stop posting filth.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I love Bendis' Ultimate work but if he needs to leave any title it's GotG. He really has no grasp on any of the characters over there. However I've never read anything from the Ultimate universe of his I haven't enjoyed. His Ult Spider-Man run was incredible, he did great work with Ult Peter Parker.

Just...not a good fit for the Guardians.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

You looking to get banned, mate? If not, then stop posting filth.

Just proving a point.... Bendis isn't Chuck Austin level bad.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's got the words, the ideas, the good start and the bad endings. i'll party with you guys!

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to be honest, i only got all new x-men is because of jean, then i got to love bobby too

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By adamTRMM

What I want is a writer who will deal with his characters with the same proper respect he dealt with the others!

#ripExodus

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am stoked on this news. I love how, save a few, there are no X-Men fans on this thread. For the X-Men community, Bendis' run has been useless. Now I haven't picked up this book since the Limbo arc ended, but here is what I gathered from my friends:
    Arc 1: Scott talks about revolution, gathers mutants, and gets a base. However, Scott has no remorse for killing the man that raised him and disrespects the woman who loved him. At this point I was good with the story save some poor Emma characterization.

Arc 2: We dig a bit deeper, but not extensively, into their broken powers and the new kids. From here the team gets sucked into Limbo, where Illyana is dealing with her broken powers? Some how Dormammu has taken control of her Darkchild self and starts ruling limbo? This seems crazy since last time I check, from Second Coming, Amanda Sefton had that place under her thumb, but who cares about coninuity right? Lastly, Magik some how absorbs Limbo. I got upset here and dropped the book. Still nothing happening for the revolution or helping the world/mutant kind.

Arc 3: This is where things got convaluted between the revolution and some weird mutant island with Mystique? Again, no revolution happened and the island was forgot about for about a year.

Arc 4: BoTA.... nuff said. Still nothing happening.

Arc 5: This is arc had the only two issues that were any good. The first was the one with the shape changer and Emma. Again, not exactly how she would have handled it, but it was pretty entertaining. The second was the Inhumanity tie-in. I was pretty pissed the Kitty switched sides, but this was a good issue. However, nothing happed except that Tempus time traveled (an aspect not touched on for about a year).

Arc 6: I was really expecting to hear somebody talk about Scott and his war/revolution with SHIELD and Humanity. Sadly from what I heard there was a lackluster speech followed by some sentinels. Then they returned to the JGS and nothing happened for a couple months. Then the arc ended with Dark Beast being the villain. Wait, what? When have these two ever shared a panel ever? So even though sentinels attacked him and SHIELD seemed like they were the culprits, it was some nobody behind it all. So again, no revolution, retribution, or any actual character interactions between JGS and Scott's group outside of wolverine, scott and storm.

Annual: Finally some answers on Tempus. Unfortunately it also demonstrated Bendis' glaring lack of knowledge on time travel. I wouldn't have a problem with bad science fiction in a comic book, but Bendis keeps using terms like "Laws of Physics" and "Chaos" as if he knows what they mean. You can't use words if you do not know their meaning, and you cannot use theorems if you don'y understand the logic.

Arc 7: This is the Will. The longest arc I have ever heard of. This story seemed okay at first. As it went on, it seemed that it was just a way to make xavier and iceman seem like dicks and to kill off exodus. This matthew was also introduced as an "above omega" mutant, what ever the heck that means. Nothing happend for 5 months until just recently where some drastic things happen. Answer this: if Matthew is omega, that means his power is limitless, if so why can't he bring them back? All of this culminating with Tempus bringing back Xavier. I mean, couldn't she have gone back and stopped Iron Man from splitting the Pheonix and put him in a time bubble? Again not a damn thing towards revolution or the betterment of muntant kind.

There it is. 2.5 years of nothing happening save for a couple hair cuts and some extra teenagers.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This. It's especially irrational that people are saying that they can finally pick an x-book up again when Bendis had nothing to do with most of the X-books out now and was only writing 2.

Says much about your knowledge over his influence on the whole franchise.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

At first glace I was shocked and happy, because his books don't seem to go anywhere and drag on in circles....

BUT NOW-- I am worried what is going to happen to the X-men??? Ya'll seen what Marvel did to the Fantastic Four! Should we be worried?

illustrate303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chalkshark: Bendis is not going to go from writing all the X-Men books, Guardians of the Galaxy , and Ultimate Spider-Man, to a freaking Luke Cage solo book bro.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366: Arc 7: This is the Will. The longest arc I have ever heard of. This story seemed okay at first. As it went on, it seemed that it was just a way to make xavier and iceman seem like dicks and to kill off exodus. This matthew was also introduced as an "above omega" mutant, what ever the heck that means. Nothing happend for 5 months until just recently where some drastic things happen. Answer this: if Matthew is omega, that means his power is limitless, if so why can't he bring them back? All of this culminating with Tempus bringing back Xavier. I mean, couldn't she have gone back and stopped Iron Man from splitting the Pheonix and put him in a time bubble? Again not a damn thing towards revolution or the betterment of muntant kind

1st of all, AVX was plain stupid. It was just a venue for heroes to fight. Meaning it was just made to make money.

why stupid?

1. Nova sees the phoenix from afar. how did he know that it is heading to earth?

2. The Phoenix doesn't need to fly great distances. It has power to open stargates or teleport. It has control over time and space. Bendis didn't do research.

3. The Phoenix was spli into 5, then 4, then 3, then 2 and made 1, why not split to 5 and not go WHOLE again?

On Matthew: Bendis is really good in making stories and events that lack major explanations

I think he made a ripple effect of mistakes. he started with and mistake and made a series of ones to cover and justify what he started. I like his play of words though.

illustrate303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By illustrate303

@humanrocket: Yea that run was tops! It was rare too having Bagley drawn like 111 issues strait with no breaks or fill in artists in between which is so rare these days at the big two. You cant even get 5 issues in a row with the same artist now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.