Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Anyone else on some level unable to move on?

Raddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Raddra

I know it probably sounds like an odd topic title.  This question is mostly aimed at older comic fans.

Maybe I'm just getting older, but some part of me seems unable to move on from the more classic X-Men formula.  From the more classic 90's cartoon team, from the individual outfits. From the issues of discrimination, from the old mythos of mutants existing as a minority in all society the world over.

Modern Marvel comics just seems to have dropped the ball for me on some level.  I just can't seem to move on from the glory days of X-Men's past. 

Anyone else feel kind of the same way?  When someone mentions X-Men to you, do you think of the classic costumes and older team, or the new? 

I'm firmly in the former camp.  As cheesy as some of the individual costumes were, they each gave the respective character a separate identity to me, and that is very important to me.

gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By gunjin

not really. progression is a wonderful thing. to paraphrase chris cornell about fans of the old soundgarden sound vice his new directions, "if you like the old stuff, you can always relisten to it." and i think that's what great about comics. even rereading my old trades is fun, and attests to their true worth as a story.  

"the only permanent is change" siddhartha gautama.

Jubilantlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jubilantlad
    @Serpent:  Well I'm only fifteen and started collecting comics about a year and a half ago. Though I was a fan on X-Men long before, I'd have to say the newer, my favourite character is Jubilee, followed by Anole and Trance.
    Raddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Raddra

Hmm, maybe I should have aimed my question at older fans. =P

Avatar image for comix_christian
    comix christian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By comix christian

I know that feeling. The blue and gold uniforms will always be the most X-MENy to me, and the whole Matt Fraction and Heroic Age stuff is doing nothing to make me want to come back to reading X-MEN. I have great love for the group but since Messiah Complex the books just haven't been very good, in my opinion.
    Winfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Winfield
    @Serpent: I know exactly what you mean. For me its the Blue and Gold team at the end of Claremonts run just before image was formed. I recently tried going back to reread a few of those issues. Have to admit most of them havent aged well.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Serpent:
    I know what you mean 
    I think the 90's Jim Lee/ Chris Claremont X-men have become the virtual crux of the X-Men continuity 
    most likely due to the cartoon ever imbedding those images and that Blue and Gold team line-up in everyones minds 
    I personally still see Cylops in the yellow briefs with the bigg goggle visor from the 80's because that's the X-Men I first fell in love with 
    but I think the story has evolved in some ways 
    sure, mutants are still trying to fight for equal rights, but they aren't running in the shadows like before 
    they are in the forefront of the media, they have their own island, not some secret school 
    and mutant issues are no longer dicussed with the same amount of venom and hatred they once were  
    I mean, there's still mutant hating groups of zealots, but they seem to be the ones hiding in the shadows now

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Winfield:
    totally 
    I think time has paved over how wordy and pointless most of Claremont's writing was 
    "blah blah blah interior monolgue, blah" 
    shut up already, just fight!!!!
    krisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By krisis

I completely sympathize with this feeling, but I have started to move on. 

Though I read new issues in the early 90s, to me X-Men was really defined in the 130-280 range of Uncanny - Claremont's expository writing, realistically drawn figures, long-term arcs for characters, controlled pace of new heroes on the team. I like that while status quo changed, resentments lingered, and there weren't many shock-deaths and random comings and goings. I feel like the classic cartoon was totally in keeping with that style of X-Men, and it told the stories so well.

To me, the 300s and much of the 400s of Uncanny were mostly a mess - when I would see them at the time I hated a lot of the art , and I remember reading about some of the developments on comics sites and just cringing - that the characters had been completely ruined, forever.

I think Marvel made a savvy move with Astonishing, bringing in the themes and costumes older readers could sympathize with more. Even while on complete hiatus I picked up (and loved) Astonishing because it felt both old-school and updated. I have to believe that the success of that (as well as the soft reboot of House of M) influenced the main titles away from the repetitive, cartoonish vibe that didn't have as much long-term consistency, and towards the more mature long-term plotting we've seen for the past 50 or so issues. 

Do I love the new direction? Undecided. But, I do feel like I'm finally moving on from NEEDING the X-Men to be a certain way.

LoneSynicX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LoneSynicX
    @krisis:

Hmmm. 
    Right there with you. It seemed like the X-men, X-Factor and the New Mutants were always on the run or getting their butts kicked(Excalibur didn't really count, they were kind of the oddball team with an almost psychedelic feel to them). It was good for awhile after the Muir Island Saga, but soon, it just seemed like they lost focus and became just another super heroe comic. 

I jump back in every now and then(like now) as my interest peaks and wanes. I like alot of the new characters and some of the stories, but for the most part I don't like the "feel" of them. They went from humans who were born with a certain gene that gave them super abilities(mostly), to a separate race of super beings who have no real interest in actually being human.
    girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By girth
    @Shadowdoggy said:
    " @Serpent: I know what you mean I think the 90's Jim Lee/ Chris Claremont X-men have become the virtual crux of the X-Men continuity most likely due to the cartoon ever imbedding those images and that Blue and Gold team line-up in everyones minds I personally still see Cylops in the yellow briefs with the bigg goggle visor from the 80's because that's the X-Men I first fell in love with but I think the story has evolved in some ways sure, mutants are still trying to fight for equal rights, but they aren't running in the shadows like before they are in the forefront of the media, they have their own island, not some secret school and mutant issues are no longer dicussed with the same amount of venom and hatred they once were  I mean, there's still mutant hating groups of zealots, but they seem to be the ones hiding in the shadows now  "
    I still watch the X-men cartoon re-runs. The x-men were in their prime in the 90's. I still enjoy reading X-men, but something just seems to be missing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.