inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Growing up, as a young lad, I was obsessed with X-Men: The Animated series, which ran on Fox from 1992 to 1997. I bought the VHS tapes, bought the comics based off the television show, entitled X-MEN ADVENTURES, and I even signed up for every Fox contest for the cartoon, which my sister sadly won after pretending to be 4 years old... I'm still salty about that.

I thought it would be fun to go back and look at a show I loved so much in my pre-teens and teenage years. It's been twenty years since I've seen anything from this show, aside from listening to the theme song on YouTube over and over again. So here we go with the first Nostalgia Flashback, where I talk about a show from my childhood while watching the episode.

Now, there are over 70 episodes to this series, so finding the right one to talk about was going to be tough, I thought. Luckily, in the first season, this show tackled the Days of Future Past story, which was also adapted into the movie X-Men: Days of Future Past. Now, this was the first two-part story for the animated series. Before we get into the episode, let's start the episode off with a familiar song. If you want to watch the episode along with me while I chat about it, it's located here on YouTube.

First and foremost, the intro has me pumped for what I hope to be something incredibly awesome. We get an opening with Sentinels attacking some mutants, which live in the sewer with the words "X-MEN" scratched into the entrance, which is seriously stupid. Anyway, the Sentinels are really easy to defeat, which makes me wonder how the Sentinels won the battle in the first place.

Bishop shows up and takes down Wolverine and captures him. Anytime Bishop does anything, there's some sweet blues music playing and TONS of harmonica. If you don't laugh, then there's something wrong. Then again, most of this music on the show is really jazzy. We get to see all the X-Men are dead and have headstones with their X-Men name on it.

RIP: Jubilee - Whenever she was born-2010.
    RIP: Jubilee - Whenever she was born-2010.

This is supposed to be a dystopian future, but the only thing that looks different about these characters is that Wolverine hasn't shaved in a few days. The future is tough when Gillette doesn't exist. Bishop and Wolverine team up and meet Forge and they need to travel back in time to prevent an assassination. As a kid, I was super-excited to see Forge on this show. However, he didn't really make an impact here. Yeah, he's got the time machine, but

Bishop ends up getting to go back in time because the future is ageist. It takes a while to travel back in time though, as Bishop is stuck floating in the air for a minute. Then, Nimrod comes in and tries to give him a back-rub.

Bishop ends up traveling back in time and talks to himself a whole lot, while some sweet blues music plays. That's the thing about this show. Characters are always talking to themselves, out loud.

No Caption Provided

Cut to Beast, in jail. This is something that really stood out to me, as I always remember Beast being in jail for a giant chunk of the series. Also, he was always hanging upside down, which is not the best of ideas since all the blood rushes to your head. There's no toilet in his cell, so just like any animal in a confined space, Beast did his business in the corners.

Rogue and Gambit pay him a visit and bring him a book. He's probably just going to store bags of toilet wine in there. Wait... there's no toilet. Nevermind. Wait... Rogue and Gambit are in prison with him? Color me confused.

While Bishop deals with the emotional trauma of not knowing why he's gone back in time, while hiding in an abandoned, broken down building, which are apparently everywhere in this city, a couple of kids run by and yell about their new video game called "Assassin," which has Punisher on the cover. Bishop's wrist computer is silly and tells Bishop to stop the X-Men from assassinating someone. It's the worst piece of future technology ever.

Bishop steals a bus and heads to the mansion, which is hilarious. He runs onto the bus, with his gun, and immediately, everyone runs off screaming. Then, he drives the bus. He makes a sweet 90 degree turn to pull into the mansion. Bishop's gun it totally worthless. It's explained later that it was on "stun," but Bishop gets two shots off on Storm and Cyclops, and essentially, it just shoves them down. Later, Jean Grey is amazed with said technology. Everyone is a bit obsessed with the gun just as much as Bishop's mission.

Nimrod comes back and beats everyone up. Nimrod is the dumbest looking character. He's a very stiff, weird looking character here. Apparently, the worse you look on this show, Storm does her whole "over-the-top expositional dialogue" thing while freezing Nimrod and they win. Back at the X-Mansion, Gambit walks in and Bishop gets all mad and says he needs to kill Gambit. Oh no! To be continued...

From the first episode of this two-part story, I can tell you that the show doesn't hold up. There was a feeling of excitement and adventure the first times I saw it, but that's faded a bit. The show is unintentionally funny though for the plethora of reasons above. It's insanely over-dramatic with a pretty cheesy backing score that was unnecessarily bluesy. The animation, compared to other shows of its day is not up to par. It feels like there's a lot of shortcuts within the show.

So the show is a tad bad, but it's still a lot of fun to watch. Yes, Bishop talking to himself, outloud, about everything happening is silly, but it's a good laugh. What's cool about this show is that there is a lot of episodic elements to the series, which is something we're very accustomed to now as television viewers. Beast is in jail because of things that happened in previous episodes and after this, Bishop does pop in and out of the show too. We're not talking Breaking Bad levels of storytelling her, but there's some nice callbacks to where other people are in the story.

That does it for this edition of Nostalgia Flashback. If there's a comic book television show, movie, or cartoon you want us to check out, let us know in the comment section. We'll see you next time.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By Teerack

I re-watched the show on Disney XD like 2 years ago, and I disagree. It holds up just fine. Looking at cartoons with the same kind of bewilderment you do as a child isn't how you judge if a show holds up. It was entertaining and I still wanted to see what happened next and that's all you really need in a show.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Love it brings back good memories :)

tx12100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still watch it. It brings so many memories from the 90's. I Was so addicted to this series, I even collected the action figures and trading cards.

Ramior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the time well Marvel care aboot their animated seriadaptatione (even if the other show from the 90's was no't really great.)

Unlike today or horrible show are still broadcast because of the succes of the movie.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That was a good series. Tears.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    AlwaysBeClothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I won't lie, nostalgia makes up for a lot of the shows faults for me but I still enjoy watching it. It might be worth looking at the episode(s?) where the X-men fight the Hellfire club. There are some very direct nods to the comic while still not all the way there.

My favorite part of the score is how much they would re-use the opening theme. They would use it in sad dramatic scenes by just slowing the tempo down.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the thumbnail for this Patrick Gleason art?

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
    cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

loved the series.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

From the time I was 12 and when Saturday Morning cartoons were still a thing (Damn you, Litton Entertainment!!!!!!!), I remember watching the X-Men cartoon religiously and even to this day, it still holds up.

And I also love how they did both the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix sagas.

n25philly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a decent show. The first two seasons were good and hold up ok, but it starts going downhill from there and the last couple of seasons are horrible by any standard. The biggest problem is that the show feels kind of half-assed. There are so many animation and voice over errors, and feel cheaply made compared to some of the other super hero shows.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

back when Jubilee wasn't a freaking vampire. good times

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is still awesome, even if the animation and artwork get really ugly at times. Maybe I'll watch me some season one this week. :)

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I watched some early episodes with my son and a friend of ours and it was a hoot!

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

back when Jubilee wasn't a freaking vampire. good times

I love Vampi Jubes

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I want to watch a wrestling match between Mat Elfring Vs. Chris Sims......

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always care far more about plot and characters than animation, and in that regard the show holds up very well, even after the 3rd re-watch. I don't mind the cheesy elements and they actually tended to give the series character in many aspects.

All in all, in comparison to other shows I watched as kid or have a heavy nostalgia element (looking at you DBZ), it fares much much better.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

One of my favorite shows!

I recommend Spider-Man: The Animated Series as another Nostalgia Flashback

:Peace

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think my favorite story arcs from the show were the The Phoenix and Dark Phoenix ep's and the "One Man's Worth", which was another alternate future timeline that happened when Xavier got killed by Trevor Fitzroy.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kid Apollo

'One mans worth' was my fave episode, and not just cause they showed the AoA versions during the arc. Aside from the final few episodes, the series has been and is one of my favorite cartoons out there. my favorite character has to be Morph, i knew nothing about him before the show and he always seemed like such a tragic character that when i started to delved deep into the comics and found out thats not how his life goes down, i was a little let down. and the fact that he looks kinda like an addict and jus keeps coming back to f*ck stuff up

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently rewatched those episodes and, while I found them a tad cheesy, still felt they held up.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is one of the most memorable themes I've ever heard. It's been stuck in my head since I was a kid.

Avatar image for i_love_purgatori
    I_Love_Purgatori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Spanky-dy wank wank wank, zippidy dudop pop in yo pooplop whop.

<3 Jean Grey

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This and Spider-Man 90's were great shows, and right at a time when long form storytelling was starting to take off with cartoons with shows like Gargoyles, and Spidey. This show is definitely one of the ones that stands the test of time. You have to remember the time when these came out, what we think of as cheesy now was awesome then. Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man all had toons at the same time, but weren't nearly as good, due to a change of tone between seasons and uneven writing, but eventually were good, while Spidey and X-men were good throughout because they told their stories well. Sure there are admittedly cheesy and somewhat bad episodes, but the majority of both those shows was gold, and still is.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By Jenkale

with all the dvds out there you are just watching the show now? sigh.

i recorded all the episodes on vhs, then bought bootleg dvds off ebay then finally they came out with the dvd collection and got them too and have watched the show every year of my life. not all the episodes just whatever i am in the mood to watch. a rogue's tale (my favorite and most watched episode), the dark phoenix saga, savage land savage heart, unstoppable juggernaut, captive hearts i could just go on and on with all the awesomeness that is this series.

these two were just ok. it was all about the second part for me cause you know ROGUE! and the big reveal of mystique being her mom, plus jean with her famous show faints "its...too....heavy" lol the girl has to get an emmy for most fragile hero. love her now but because of that (and her not being in the field that much) took me a while to like jean. it was all about rogue, storm and jubilee in that order.

over dramatic? some one doesnt get the x-men. in the words of stan lee himself "x-men is a soap opera with superheroes". what you see as over dramatic and "cheesy" (whatever that means) is actually touching, enduring, and tragic. that is why we love the x-men, these are people with real problems who have to deal with all of that PLUS try to make the world a better place. and as minority who is a minority within a minority i could so relate to the racism and fighting for equality that they have to face ON TOP of just living adult lives which is just hard enough. you people just will never understand until you walk a mile in our shoes.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By donmeca2020

X-men the animated series was excellent !! i used to look forward to watching this as well as the Spider-man animated series of the 90s as well.

Another couple good marvel cartoons was also Incredible Hulk that used to be on upn 33. the vibe was more dark and from what i read that was the reason it was canceled. not kiddy enough. Iron man and fantastic four cartoons of the 90s were also good. not on the same level as X-men ,spider-man and the hulk ones though....

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingwillie: Agreed!! This and Gargoyles!! Also Samurai Jack!

@stmichalofwilson I was just saying the same

Old School Toon Much Watch List:

Gargoyles

Batman:The Animated Series

X-men 90's

Spider-Man 90's

Iron Man: The Animated Series 90's

Fantastic Four: The Animated Series 90's

Incredible Hulk: The Animated Series 90's

The last three the second seasons were much different from the first, with Iron man and FF being better in the second half, and Hulk being decent throughout but with a tonal change.

alexash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love this series. i got hooked on in ages ago and watched it on Netflix. i loved the episode nightcrawler. but i was annoyed that he didn't show up again. A part from the phoenix saga what was everyone's favorite episode

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

X-MEn Evolution is my show!!!!!!!!
    ~MiB

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the time it wasn't really that bad, I liked it until they got to the Ms. Marvel episode.

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
    Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gargoyles!! That one next! Some of the best episodes from the series was where the gargoyles went up against "The Pack"

t209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By t209

I wonder how would Avengers crossover would be integrated in the show? I mean, like in comic, where were all the superheroes when X-Men faced crisis. And not to mention the "In a world where superheroes were respected but fear mutants" more so since Avengers had mutants members.

That kinda bugged me when I read newer comics and saw trailer for Age of Ultron (I know MCU doesn't have mutants but kinda suprised that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch* were good guys due to only familiar with X-Men: Evolution).

*On the bright side, she's better than the one who went insane and murdered her friends before genociding the mutants out of nervous breakdown.

Avatar image for originalalchemist
    originalalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, this show is basically what my elementary school life revolved around. If I wasn't watching a vhs recording of it (anybody else remember that?) I was trading the cards at school. It was an awesome time and it is what got me into comics. I loved the series, especially the Phoenix Saga they did that was a week long Mon-Friday event. Watching it now I realize how overly melodramatic the series was, but I still love it.

Adamx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite episodes was TIME FUGITIVES where Cable and Bishop meet for the first time, all the Apocalypse episodes were good.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I loved the cartoon, but I spent most of it wishing and hoping and waiting for Jubilee to do something. Her powers were just so sad.

galacticshrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Wow, hearing that theme song still gives me chills. I re-watched this series a couple years ago, and I think you're being way too hard on it. Sure it's dated, and not perfect, but there aren't many cartoons from this era that are going to hold up too well to this kind of nit picking (except maybe Batman TAS). Obviously nostalgia is a factor, but I honestly enjoyed watching it as an adult as much as I did as a kid. To quote Gambit, "Don't mess with the X-men!"

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

I never got the overall appeal of this cartoon or really any other Marvel Comics cartoon. I mean, yes, everything is kinda cool how it is all connected and it's a whole Marvel cartoon universe complete with the Avengers, X-Men, and Fantastic Four interaction. Though everything is just kinda cheesy and stiff in a way. I guess I get the appeal though I don't get the comparison of this show being as great as BTAS. BTAS was superb and amazing well written. You could be an adult and watch it. It was serious yet very fun. The Marvel stuff was just strictly for kids. I just don't get the comparison really.

Despite me saying all this I do smile at the Spider-man cartoons cuz I watched them a ton as a kid and I remember staying up until the middle of the night to catch the Fantastic Four.

I guess nostalgia is the drive for these shows.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Here's a few suggestions for future installments--take a look at the short-lived cartoon adaptations of WildCATS, Ultraforce, and Savage Dragon.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#41  Edited By The Impersonator

Nice article.

We're not talking Breaking Bad levels of storytelling her, but there's some nice callbacks to where other people are in the story.

It should be "here."

kenshiroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE BEST X-MEN CARTOON It is a masterpiece!

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh the good old days.. Miss it. Waking up on Saturday morning grabbing bowl of cereal and watching X-men... it couldn't get better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.