deactivated-5a162dd41dd64's X-Men: Legacy #254 - Five Miles South Of The Universe, Part One review

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Someone needs to have a word with the artists

Sub-par art, on the cover and in the comic!
As for the story, the pace is slow, dialogue makes little sense at times, and the sequence of events leaves characters just kind of floating around with weird looks on their faces for multiple panels at a time. Rogue suffers the worst of this- she gets hit in the head, stumbles to the ground bleeding, gets up and stands there blankly with a pool of blood on her face that seems to have dried and refuses to run, then just stands there looking blank for another panel, and nobody seems to notice or care the entire time. For that matter, her getting clubbed in the head seems to serve no purpose whatsoever, and had no real reason for occuring- we're supposed to believe that the Shi'ar woman whose name I never bothered to notice thinks it was necessary or something, and miraculously just stops paying attention to her target afterwards.
We're told Rogue has some history with one of the members of the Shi'ar group, but aren't told exactly how or why- it's dismissed as though unnecessary. This was irritating, because I for the life of me could not recall any such event in any X-men title I've read, and thusly am led to believe that this mythical meeting occured at some point during the mid-to-early 90s when the main X-men titles featured artists whose work I couldn't stand and thus haven't read yet.
Then there's the usual host of flaws that seem to accompany X-men space adventures. Various technology, alien civilizations, groups, scales of power (or something?), and objects are mentioned and it seems like we're just supposed to know what the heck is being talked about (what the hell does a 9-tau-9 on the Kiatna Psi-scale even mean?!). Charmingly, we also seem to get to witness Polaris in another one of her bitchy episodes in future comics; she went through one around 2000 or 2002 and it completely ruined the character for me.
Now, let's look at some of the more failtastic bits of artwork in this issue:

WHAT, RIGHT WHERE?!
 WHAT, RIGHT WHERE?!
There is no reason Polaris should be standing like that, and she looks utterly flat-chested.
Bad faces!
Bad faces!
 That's a ridiculous way to hold a gun
 That's a ridiculous way to hold a gun
 Why the heck would she have one eye closed, not to mention her mouth open like that?