Follow

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Movie » X-Men: Days of Future Past released on May 23, 2014.

The seventh installment in the X-Men film series, loosely based on the 1981 comic storyline. It marks Bryan Singer's return to the X-Men franchise. This time Wolverine and some X-Men have to save the future by changing the past.

Why X-Men: Days of Future Past Restored Faith in the Movie Franchise

• 66 results
    Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

It didn't really restore faith since there already was faith in the franchise before the movie came out and it was my 2nd most hyped CBM flick of the year and it lived up to expectations.

But Cap 2 and GOTG were better.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#53  Edited By The Impersonator

Colossus wasn't in love with Kitty if that's what you mean. =P

Bolivar Trask wasn't underused. There was enough screen time for him, showing why and what he's doing to capture mutants at all costs.

There's no need to explain Kitty Pryde's evolution. Her time-travelling ability is part of her secondary mutation.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

When you think about it, the X-men films are pretty solid in general, more bullet-proof than any other franchise. They've been around 15 years, there have been 7 of them, and at least 4-5 are actually good movies. No other superhero movie franchise has that.

One X-men movie doesn't make as much money as an Iron Man movie but they'll outlive Iron Man anyways because as soon as RDJr is gone (which will be soonish), they'll need to start from scratch. With the X-men, Hugh Jackman doesn't even have to be in the fricken movie and you can still have Fassbender or Jennifer Lawrence and people will still watch it and it will still be enjoyable.

@ducey13 said:

Jennifer Lawrence ISN't playing Mystique. She's playing some new character who just happens to have the same name and powers. It's BS and the only reason FOX is doing this is because her star blew up after First Class, and the DOFP Plot Holes are big enough for a car to drive through. The only redeeming thing DOFFP did was erase the monstrosity of X3, but they didnt even do that right.

I actually feel like Fox is being more faithful to Mystique at the moment than Marvel. Marvel makes her a 1-dimensional villain whereas, in reality, she started out as being somewhat sympathetic and only motivated by mutant rights, not just being a villain for the sake of villainy. Also, DOFP used a lot of Mystique's storylines- her genetic material being stolen was something that happened in her solo, the attempted presidential assassination was similar to her attempt on Senator Kelly in the comics and Victor Creed. It seems like the screenwriters have actually read her comics before writing her.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

I thought it was ok, it lost a lot of the energy brought on in First Class. The time travel element was solid but it was other aspects of the plot that I didn't think were that strong.

Kondorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 13

First Class was great.. this one I already forgot... X-Men Movie-verse is dead again...

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I actually prefer Fox's X-Men over a majority of the MCU.

Same with me, I didn't like GotG and I really liked First Class, and DoFP maintained my expectatives.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By COBRAMORPH

**Why X-Men: Days of Future Past Restored Faith in the Movie Franchise

Actually, no, that was FC. TBH I didnt like any of the DOFP stuff dealing with the future. Would rather this had just been FC2 & they just figure out somehow about Trask's plans, you know, like in EVERY other movie EVER. Not time wizard from the future TELLS you what to do.

O & no there is NO faith in FOX movies, out of 9movies: 2FF movies, 3Xmovies, 2Wolverine movies,& 2FC movies; X1,X2,FC & DOFP were all great. Wolverine2 was just about as decent & non-sucky as a Thor or Captian America movie was.

Whats that, about 50/50? Is that really much better than Spider-$ony ?

esparza3368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By esparza3368

@machomustachio:

I'm a X-Men fan, but you got to admit that when it comes to the X-Men comics the most popular character is Wolverine whom is also the most well developed character. It's why he has been the focus of so many X-Men movies, though Fox went overboard. Right after him is Phoenix, Magneto, Psylocke, Deadpool, & Rogue in popularity. The best written characters in X-Men after Wolverine has been Magneto. Glad to see they have him regaining control of Genosha, its time they made him a permanent feature of Earth-616 with his own country - like Doom has Latveria.

Cyclops was until they made him darker a pretty one-dimensional character (X-Men's version of Captain America). Beast was never a major player in the X-Men. Storm has had a few mini-series to her name and is well written but does not have a back story or history like Wolverine. Closest in the team to having the conflict-ridden story like Wolverine would be Rogue. Iceman, he's another Xavier fanboy like Cyclops. Angel, woe is me especially after Apocalypse. Colossus not much conflict, there with him its mostly about his sister. Havok, always in the shadow of Cyclops. Xavier, he is the found but god I have I gotten sick and tired of his sanctimonious & unrealistic don't kill, turn the cheek, and defend even the mutant-hating Nazi-like supremacists from mutants.

esparza3368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cobramorph:

I agree with you there the previous X-Men movies weren't bad at all, they were decent. Not awesome but fine products from Fox. The problems many fans had with the movies was the lack of great battles, feats by the characters, & the Phoenix story line. Personally I think this was due to restrictions on the budget.

Now that Fox has seen what big budgets can do the way Disney is throwing money into his MCU movies, Fox has been forced to up its game. That means much larger budgets which means bigger battles and more impressive feats shown on the silver screen. Also they saw how the fans liked that Disney is staying pretty true to the characters and history of Marvel, likewise we can expect to see Fox paying the same attention. That's why you saw the whole time travel element, since time travel was part of the Days of Future Past storyline which was one of the most important arcs in X-Men history. In the comics it was Shadowcat, so there was some changes.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

esparza3368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier:

Fox could actually do something similar. Remember the Starjammers? It could be by themselves or together with the X-Men. Many potential story lines there, all in outer space. Dark Phoenix, Vulcan, the Brood, the Shi'ar, the Phalanx, & of course the Skrulls. They could have epic space battles involving Shi'ar Warbirds & Apocalypse-class Dreadnoughts, Brood Acanti & Star Sharks, or Skrull Battleships & Devastator-class Cruisers (planetoid-size). On top of that awesome super hero battles involving the Shi'ar Imperial Guard or the Super-Skrulls.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
    rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

X-men (2000), X-men First Class (2011) and X-men DoFP (2014) are the best X-men movies so far. All the rest were ok but not as good as those three movies.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#66 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Colossus wasn't in love with Kitty if that's what you mean. =P

Bolivar Trask wasn't underused. There was enough screen time for him, showing why and what he's doing to capture mutants at all costs.

There's no need to explain Kitty Pryde's evolution. Her time-travelling ability is part of her secondary mutation.

Ha. Obviously I disagree with the 2nd and 3rd points. When you have McAvoy and Fassbender giving brilliant performances, it feels like they didn't take advantage of Dinkalge's potential as an actor. Didn't find his material compelling/moving at all, unfortunately. And yes, I'm well aware of that -- as are many comic book fans, I'm sure --but giving Kitty's powers some evolution when no one else has any kind of upgrade with their powers is baffling for casual viewers. I appreciate a movie showing and not telling the audience something, but in this case, a single sentence about her powers evolving/upgrading could have been beneficial. Still love the movie, but those are my 3 small gripes with it.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#67  Edited By frozen  Moderator

I hated First Class, so I had zero expectations for this. Boy was I wrong! Best superhero flick of the year!

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#68 frozen  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: The Sunshine John Murphy soundtrack in the trailer sold it to me. Lol.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fassbender is the only faith I have, even though Singer ruined his exquisite portrayal from the First Class.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#73  Edited By SupremeHyperion

This movie was not that good, the only reason I give it any credit is that it resets all the garbage that came before. It is definitely the most needed and understandable "It was all a dream" scenario.

Magneto was cool, they showed the same fight twice and it ended up being a Wolverine movie. And now with all the original stars (mainly jean) getting too old to fill the roles effectively they are just going to reboot again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.