Follow

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Movie » X-Men: Days of Future Past released on May 23, 2014.

The seventh installment in the X-Men film series, loosely based on the 1981 comic storyline. It marks Bryan Singer's return to the X-Men franchise. This time Wolverine and some X-Men have to save the future by changing the past.

Impressions of X-Men Days of Future Past Digital Release

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

We got an early look at X-Men: Days of Future Past digital release last week, through iTunes, and it was quite a cool experience. The DVD/Blu-Ray release is on October 14th, so getting a few weeks early is pretty awesome. Currently, it is available on iTunes, as well as Google Play, Amazon, and a slew of other places, for the price of $14.99, and while getting it early is pretty great, since the movie is pretty great (see our review here), there are a few drawbacks. Let's just breakdown some of the good and the bad of the digital release, starting with a few super-frustrating moments.

Arg Moments

No Caption Provided

I can't access the special features

Going through the film and checking it out on iTunes, I keep seeing that there are some extra features like deleted scenes and a look into a scene or two. These are things I'd love to see. Alas, I cannot. Checking through the reviews, I think I'm the only person with this problem, but it's insanely frustrating nonetheless because I buy Blu-Rays of movies I love, like this one, to watch the special features or for the commentary. Knowing they exist, but not being able to get to them is so aggravating. Before we get some snappy answers, yes my iTunes is updated and so is my computer. This is really the one thing iTunes has over the other places you can get it as well.

Dealing with iTunes in general

I'm not an Apple hater, but I do hate their limitations. Aside from only being able to watch it on a small screen, since most of my technology is Android-based, the program is incredibly unresponsive on my computer and laptop. It's slow and needs an update every week. Opening up iTunes just boils my blood sometimes, even though it's a pretty dang good program and marketplace. I wish their video app worked on other platforms.

You may be wondering why I'm talking so much about how iTunes fails on this and saying to yourself "You don't mention your Blu-ray player every time you review a DVD." And that's totally fair to say, except for the fact that not everyone has the same Blu-Ray player. To play this copy of X-Men: First Class, everyone has to have iTunes. However, not everything is bad. There's also a few awesome moments here as well. Let's check out some of the better things about this.

Awesome Moments

No Caption Provided

Watch it early

I love the fact that the industry is pushing digital releases by releasing digital copies earlier than physical ones, much like in the way DVDs were released months before VHS tapes, way back when. You feel pretty special getting to catch one of the biggest films of the summer a few weeks early.

Watch it on my time!

For me, I suck at watching films. I rarely go to the theater anymore, and when I watch movies at home, it's usually over the course of a few days because I'm super-busy. I actually prefer to watch movies at home over the theater, so having a copy of this at my disposal is pretty nice. I can hang out in my pajama pants, holding a Wolverine action figure, and not have to worry about teenagers judging me.

The special features (that I can't watch) look cool

I know I can't watch the special features, but I really want to. Included in the special features are deleted scenes, which you can watch with or without audio commentary, a gag reel, and a sequence that took a lot of takes, apparently. There's also a section called "Gallery: Trask Industries" so there's a decent amount of extras to watch. It does seem there's a decent amount of stuff offered for the price.

Take it on the go

This is pretty self-explanatory. I love the fact I can take this wherever I go. Any time I fly to a convention, I can watch this film. How many times am I going to watch this film? Probably a lot. For sure, I'll watch it, again, on the way to New York Comic Con next week.

Cheaper than a physical copy

Here's the numbers. An HD, digital copy of this movie costs $14.99. So aside from getting it a few weeks early, you're also probably paying $5 less for the film. Aside from that, a physical copy isn't taking up room on your shelves. However, if you really love the film, $5 probably won't sway you one way or the other. Also, a few of the other places you can buy it have it available for less, but without special features.

Should you pick up a digital copy of X-Men Days of Future Past?

There is no easy answer to this. My experience with this film was rough because none of the special features could be accessed, and I love special features. However, having the film early and being able to watch it on the plane or wherever I go is a HUGE plus to me. It all boils down to your viewing habits and whether or not you want a physical copy. If X-Men: Days of Future Past is one of your favorite movies this year, then go ahead and grab this movie, weeks before a physical release. It's a good deal, but if you're like me, you're probably also getting a physical copy as well.

Check it out on the Fox Digital page to find out where you want to buy it from.

What do you guys think? Will you pick up a digital copy of this film?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@inferiorego have you tried turning it off and turning it on?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm still waiting for the extended version.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@xwraith said:

rollingshadow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've avoided the iTunes app for a few years, but absolutely love watching stuff and Airplaying to an Apple TV. I rarely buy stuff on iTunes, but I have a decent library from the digital copies that come with Blu Rays that I purchase – which brings me to a mini-rant. I absolutely hate UltraViolet digital copies. The video quality and buffering reliability of HD videos is terrible vs. iTunes & Google Play. The entire process to setup an account and redeemed movies is cumbersome.

Based on other X-Men Blu Rays I have, Fox allows you to redeem either an iTunes or UV digital copy. Kudos to them, I hope other studios could follow this model about giving consumers choice. Blu Ray is really the way to go. You get a near reference-level audio/video and with most packages, you get a handy digital copy for you on-the-go.

Johnny-Hart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not just plug your laptop to your TV?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#6  Edited By Teerack

I feel like there really wasn't any need to review this... it kind of just comes off like "would you by this movie? here is a review of the store i bought it from."

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offence, but this makes you sound really old and out of touch.

red_rover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feedonatreefrog: Some of us are old and out of touch. Now get off my lawn with your Sony Walkmans and your hightop sneakers! It was a fine review about a changing movie buying experience.

monsterduc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No lossless audio with a digital copy. Gotta have great audio to go along with the great picture.

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only perceived benefit here is getting access to the movie early. Most Blu-Ray releases come with the DvD AND the Digital Copy, so taking it on the go and having access to it at any time is already included with that release. Plus you get working special features.

I thin I'd much rather just have the physical copy on hand, but to each their own.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BullPR

@xwraith said:

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Cool! I'll be buying on Blu-Ray, though ^^

- TAS

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Best comic book movie ever. Can't wait for Apocalypse.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.