Follow

X-Men: Apocalypse

Movie » X-Men: Apocalypse released on May 27, 2016.

This sequel to X-Men: Days of Future Past sees the X-Men facing their biggest threat yet.

X-Men: Apocalypse

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

With a compelling villain, huge global stakes, and some emotionally hard-hitting scenes, X-Men: Apocalypse is an exciting addition to the ever expansive X-Men cinematic universe. It's easily one of the most ambitious films in the entire series, if a little overstuffed thanks to the sheer number of characters being used.

X-Men: Apocalypse is the sixth X-Men film in the franchise (ninth if you include the spin-offs). Since the first movie in 2000, we've been introduced to a lot of characters and have seen several mutants come and go. Each installment increases the action and danger for the X-Men. But how can the films top the continually escalating series of cataclysmic threats? By bringing in an ancient mutant determined to destroy the world.

The movie's main villain, Apocalypse (also known as En Sabah Nur), has a deep and convoluted history in the comics, but that's been simplified somewhat for the film. His origin is condensed down to: he's the first mutant who was worshipped in ancient Egypt as a god. Apocalypse is higher-level threat than anything the X-Men have ever dealt with in the past, and the way he's presented in the film as being extremely powerful as well as being a master psychological manipulator makes him a unique and compelling villain. At his side are his powerful Four Horsemen, mutants he has helped reach their full potential who serve as his protectors.

Apocalypse threatens the world 10 years after the events of Days of Future Past (1983 in the X-Men film universe), and the big question is: is there a team of X-Men capable of taking him down? The encounter is one audiences will gobble up. But Apocalypse's threat isn't just directed at the X-Men; he's targeting the entire planet. The results are battles spanning the globe with more severe consequences that go beyond the X-Men’s inner circle.

X-Men: Apocalypse is an extremely convoluted movie, and its attempt to juggle such a large number of characters is where the movie falters. The past films featured a large roster of mutants, but X-Men: Apocalypse introduces new versions of characters we've seen in past films (as well as the previous wide-ranging mutant roster). Because Days of Future Past changed the events from the first three films, some classic characters have changed. With such a large number of characters fighting for attention, they just aren't all properly fleshed out.

No Caption Provided

This is especially the case for three of Apocalypse's four henchmen--Storm, Psylocke, and Angel. While we see Apocalypse individually recruit his new Horsemen, we ever only get a hint of who they are and what their motivations might be. The result is a lot of cool-looking characters who lack backstory and depth. Characters like Psylocke and Angel are introduced, but they never seem to reach their full, narrative potential. Where did they come from and why did they join Apocalypse so readily?

Some scenes, too, feel like they were tacked on rather than being integral to the plot. There are moments, including a sequence with a very popular mutant, that felt more like fan service than something necessary. That's not exactly a bad thing, but these occasional flashy elements distracted from scenes that were more crucial to the overarching story.

Like previous X-Men films, Apocalypse again tackles the much explored themes of power, friendship, and family, primarily through the complex relationships of the three main returning characters of Charles Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique. In the 10 years since the events of the last movie, they've all moved on to start new lives. Their different outlooks on mutants, and life in general, add to the tension that unfolds within the plot of the movie. They serve as the current pillars for the franchise, and they give the film an emotional center despite sometimes convoluted introduction of so many other characters.

The story has different layers and there's a lot going on to keep audiences entertained. We get to see the personal lives of the characters beyond their roles at Xavier’s school. Different corners of the world are introduced, and we get a sense of how mutants are perceived by others. We see the human side of some characters along with plenty of high-octane action and destruction. Magneto's own arc, for example, is tragic and touching, while Quicksilver gets some deep emotional resonance outside of his requisite cool high-speed sequences. The overall tone is serious and somber, but we do get some humor added in from time to time. The timing isn't always perfect; the jokes can interrupt the atmosphere and mood of a scene, but they're executed well.

X-Men: Apocalypse contains enough action, suspense, heartbreak, and excitement to keep you hooked. The movie juggles a lot of characters, and many don't get the time to be fully explored or utilized, but the movie never fails to keep you entertained for its entire running time thanks to the action and heart of the protagonists. Apocalypse is a great character in the comics and as a movie villain, the stakes are raised to such a level, you can't help but wonder how they'll top this in the next one.

X-Men: Apocalypse is in theaters on May 27, 2016.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Chris Stuckmann liked it. He is generally a reliable barometre. I'm hyped to see it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This was my most hyped CBM of the year, but now I'm not so sure.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

Still hyped for it.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I might sit this one out.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I didn't like Days of Future Past so probably just going to wait to rent this.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Just from the look of the trailers, this is about what I expected. Good to know I can save a Sunday and skip this one.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmm so quick to give out five stars to civil war but bash the x men???? oh wait its fox and marvel don't likey fox

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MultipleMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So disappointing but I will still be there feeding the machine.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ouch. That's the same score BvS got.

blacharrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'll stick with what most of the reviewers are saying about this movie, that many people can't be wrong, good start of the film mid and ending is a Messing, that doesn't make the motive interesting or clear. No thanks i'll pass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Out of all of the CBM's coming out this year, this is the one I'm the least hyped about. It looks good with a few goofs but I just don't feel it. It's the same for all of the X men films I've ever seen with the exception of First Class. I hope I can enjoy it but it just looks meh.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@slayz said:

Ouch. That's the same score BvS got.

Was thinking the exact same thing :/

Tho a Mystique centric X-men, just because it's Jennifer Lawrence next to Professor X, Magneto, Archangel, Cyclops & even Quick Silver, I wouldn't expect any different.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun: Just lose Jennifer Law- I mean, Mystique. She's garbage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmm so quick to give out five stars to civil war but bash the x men???? oh wait its fox and marvel don't likey fox

Lol yeh and dey hate on all da DCEU movies because they are sucker-up paid off dishonest sheep! >:{

SamJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SamJackson

I give all these movies at least one go, so I'll still be in the theater. Still pretty excited for this movie (even though reviews are calling it a franchise killer), just not as much as I am for Suicide Squad and Dr Strange.

zoso2308

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modsbehating: lol this is the most childish argument...it could be possible that this is not a good movie

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By mickey-mouse

WHOA!!!! 3 stars on Comicvine is like 1 star everywhere else. Majority of the staff on Comicvine is super positive about everything...damn. I like I am still gonna like it, but now I'm nervous. At first I was not hype for this movie, but now that I'm past civil war I'm interested.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously though, I knew this movie would be fail just by the trailers.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: 3/5 doesn't mean it's bad. Just read my words. Don't get hung up on a number.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question...in the comics...are the horseman always characters they delve deep into? If there is a comic where the horseman are the main focal point, please point me in that direction. I would love to read it.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@gmanfromheck: Thank you. Cause even with your postives listed:

"X-Men: Apocalypse is an extremely convoluted movie, and its attempt to juggle such a large number of characters is where the movie falters. "

That makes me nervous.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modsbehating: Maybe, just, maybe Civil war was better than both films??

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By modsbehating

@gmanfromheck: what are you talking about marvel throws nails in fox tires all the time? or we gonna pretend that every review is honest? (sure like every bookie that takes bets is honest)

No Caption Provided

or has the fantastic four / x-men being pushed outta everything just a unlucky coincidence ??? and dont be like well the xmen actually have comics ok then but the other markets toys, kids shows .Captain america . iron man , thor gets marketed way more then say wolverine who last actually role in a kids tv was in 2011 and also look to the right seems funny not to include a team of say maybe four who heavily contributed to your success or maybe one with claws to represent a large group ?

but also your the writer for this website? why are you talking to me?

why do you even care?

is your editor like telling you what to rate these movies and comics at ?

is a figure in the shadows giving you detailed instructions?

idk

but the thing i do know about marvel hating on fox ?? i mean we really gonna sit here and pretend they aren't watching like.................................................................................................................................................................

No Caption Provided

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: i mean i anit saying all that

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@slayz said:

I agree with this sentiment. I can't stand whiny/heroic Mystique. I prefer her as a badass anti-villain who's commitment to the cause makes Magneto seem soft by comparison. Her origin as Xavier's stepsister/bff killed any love I could've had for this character.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoso904: oh yeah i mean im just saying i seen some "probs" that he pointed out here he didn't in civil war interesting characters not getting there stories told even tho they have major stuff going like vision crippling his teammate or scarlet witch destroying those people .

idc about this movie its just funny to see him bash one movie for something then praise a different one even tho it has the same problems like he didnt even point that out in civil war

or is vision supposed to look at a chess board like

'YUP this one is a big oopies daisy'

and we are just supposed to assume he works it all out?

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vitality

@modsbehating said:

@zoso904: oh yeah i mean im just saying i seen some "probs" that he pointed out here he didn't in civil war interesting characters not getting there stories told even tho they have major stuff going like vision crippling his teammate or scarlet witch destroying those people .

idc about this movie its just funny to see him bash one movie for something then praise a different one even tho it has the same problems like he didnt even point that out in civil war

or is vision supposed to look at a chess board like

'YUP this one is a big oopies daisy'

and we are just supposed to assume he works it all out?

Thank you, I couldn't agree more. It honestly seems like others superhero movies get thoroughly bashed simply because they are not made by Marvel...and I'm talking in general, not just one person.

Granted, it's all opinions, so I'm not going to be mad at someone for their own opinion...but it definitely seems that way.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never expected for this to be good. Just from the trailer alone too much was going on. I figured they would just cramp up everything an not execute it well in the end.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gmanfromheck

@modsbehating said:

@gmanfromheck:

but also your the writer for this website? why are you talking to me?

why do you even care?

is your editor like telling you what to rate these movies and comics at ?

is a figure in the shadows giving you detailed instructions?

• Why am I talking to you? I like interacting with the community. Why wouldn't I?
    • Why do I care? Sounded like you're accusing me of 'hating Fox' when I never said that. I enjoyed the last X-Men movies and Deadpool.
    • I'm the Editor-in-Chief of this website. I don't have an editor "telling me what to rate" anything. It might be hard to believe but people do have their own opinions when reviewing things.
    • Is there a figure in the shadows? Not everything is a conspiracy. No one is standing on a grassy knoll.

Also, if you go to http://marvel.com/75, you'll see the Fantastic Four and X-Men. Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix is the very first top left image you see.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vitality

@tensor said:

I never expected for this to be good. Just from the trailer alone too much was going on. I figured they would just cramp up everything an not execute it well in the end.

This is what I don't understand. People complain about how convoluted some of these movies are. That may be true...but just look at the damn comics themselves. Marvel comics are easily some of the most convoluted stories around.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gmanfromheck: Nobody is accusing you of conspiracy. They're accusing you of hypocrisy.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

wow movie reviews are serious business up in here!

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow movie reviews are serious business up in here!

You would be surprised how many people actively watch or do not watch a movie based on a review from someone else.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By d9000

Personally a 3/5 review is what I expected. Good but not amazing, which is what I've thought of DoFP and First Class. This'll make a great Netflix movie for me.

As a side note, can people please relax about the Marvel vs DC vs Fox vs whatever crap. Say what you will about the companies themselves but including CV in your conspiracy theories is silly.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ThomasElliot

Whhhaaaat? Characters that just appear without backstory in a Bryan Singer X-film?

YOU DON'T SAY!?

On another note...

Marvel movies don't get bashed? The problem with that false opinion is there is this thing we are using called the internet where you can clearly search and find piss-poor reviews of Ant-man, Avengers 2 (which deserved it), Captain America 1, Iron Man 2 and Thor 1.

zoso2308

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitality: the two of you are coming down on a review (which newflash is not the only review of this movie stating this...most are coming in at less than average...this is actually fairly complimentary compared to a lot of others) for a movie YOU HAVE NOT SEEN all I'm saying is comparing reviews is a childish argument because the movies have nothing to do with each other! Also if I remember correctly this site gave positive reviews for deadpool and the last xmen movie neither of which fit your arguement

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoso904 said:

@vitality: the two of you are coming down on a review (which newflash is not the only review of this movie stating this...most are coming in at less than average...this is actually fairly complimentary compared to a lot of others) for a movie YOU HAVE NOT SEEN all I'm saying is comparing reviews is a childish argument because the movies have nothing to do with each other! Also if I remember correctly this site gave positive reviews for deadpool and the last xmen movie neither of which fit your arguement

Are you actually reading my posts?

I'm not "coming down on a review"...I simply agreed with something someone said because I have had the same perspective in one way or the other.

Please re-read my posts...you will see that I am not "coming down" on anything. I'm simply posting a perspective I have, nothing more, nothing less.

zoso2308

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitality: fair enough but you are painting wildly broad strokes when you state that only marvel movies get reviewed without getting bashed..my problem with that is that this statement has nothin to do with the movie that was reviewed...instead of discussing a movie it can come off as a childish "well what about them!?" Statement

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vitality

@zoso904 said:

@vitality: fair enough but you are painting wildly broad strokes when you state that only marvel movies get reviewed without getting bashed..my problem with that is that this statement has nothin to do with the movie that was reviewed...instead of discussing a movie it can come off as a childish "well what about them!?" Statement

I never once stated that Marvel movies do not get bashed...but believe me, I understand what you are saying.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:
    @slayz said:

I agree with this sentiment. I can't stand whiny/heroic Mystique. I prefer her as a badass anti-villain who's commitment to the cause makes Magneto seem soft by comparison. Her origin as Xavier's stepsister/bff killed any love I could've had for this character.

All of this.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
    deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Great, now I have an opinion on this

:P

RockyRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I wasn't expecting much

brobertz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gmanfromheck: not gonna try and tell you how to do stuff on your own site, but have you thought about addressing the issue of bias towards certain companies that people keep thinking the site has? Might help establish some truth for the people who want it. Again, not trying to tell you what to do, just an idea.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

3 stars? Can it reay be as bad as BvS?

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not expecting a lot from this, am just gunna go see it for the hell of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.