Follow

X-Man

Character » X-Man appears in 816 issues.

X-Man is an Omega-level mutant genetically created by Mr. Sinister from the Age of Apocalypse timeline. He shares the same genetic history as Cable. Nate has since joined the New Mutants, started a relationship with Dani Moonstar, and gained further power from the Life Seed.

Last New Mutants (Bad News for Nate Grey)

blacharrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blacharrt

So I just finished reading the latest new  Mutants, which I loved by the way, Dani is so hardcore i hope she gets her powers back.

But the news at hand is about X-man, Nate Grey/Shaman has been downgraded in power and only has limited telekinetic usage due to Sugarman machine.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By John Valentine

"Sugarboy"? Haha.

ZacCooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ZacCooper
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By labarith

Face facts - it was the only way they could tell a story with him. 

They did it to Cable before him, and they'll have done it to Scarlet Witch in another 3 issues of things that happened pre-Fear itself soon enough. 

The question is whether the X-men will use him. I hope so.  I hope he gets tossed on the New Mutants, and we have a quasi-X-Force homage all up in that.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By jrock85
    @blacharrt
    I called it a while back when Nick Lowe said he would be joining the New Mutants. At his full power, Nate can get more things done on his own than the New Mutants can do collectively, so of course they were gonna water him down. Marvel loves to give me the finger.
    Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

Lmao. 

Reading this title freaked me out... 

I thought they were cancelling New Mutants... JEEZ!!! 

riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By riri4life
    @IllyanaRasputin
    IKR! smh 
    I only mildly care for X-man these days.......but I would love to find out what ever happened to his once gf Threnody and the baby! 
    .....and Dani needs her powers back ASAP, even though she still HBIC w/ or w/out. lol
    blacharrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blacharrt
    @John Valentine: @ZacCooper: Sorry, i just finished watching the latest Fairy Tails.
    madrid_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By madrid_san
    @IllyanaRasputin said:
    Lmao.  Reading this title freaked me out...  I thought they were cancelling New Mutants... JEEZ!!! 
    They are not cancelling it right?! They got atleast 5 issues lined up if you go to their Marvel website. And don't want to SPOIL SPOIL it for anyone 

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Kallarkz

X-man is one of my most favorite Marvel characters but being depowered isn't such a bad thing if they write him right. 
    For example it's working for Herc out in Brooklyn. Hes a mortal now but his character is still interesting as well as the story. 
    Being depowered for a bit is what Nate needs atm tbh. Hes been a powerful psionic powerhouse since we first saw him who surprised himself constantly at the things he could do. 
    Besides, every mutant goes through this at some point or another....cyclops, storm, iceman, colossus, rogue, gambit, etc. At least they are doing it and placing him on the team. 
    I will welcome the face time if they do his character justice. 

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By lorex

I don't mind if he has been depowered some, it happens in comics from time to time. It is the common excuse writers use if they have trouble writing a powerful character. As long as his telekinetic power 
    is stronger than Hellion, because if not that just plain insulting, to X-Man fans.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By Timandm
    @jrock85 said:
    @blacharrt:  I called it a while back when Nick Lowe said he would be joining the New Mutants. At his full power, Nate can get more things done on his own than the New Mutants can do collectively, so of course they were gonna water him down. Marvel loves to give me the finger.
    Actually, at his full power, he could do more than all the X-Men collectively...  (I'm not including Legion in that.)
    blacharrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blacharrt
    @Timandm: I would say he had more raw power than the majority, i wouldn't say he could do more.  Because you have to think in terms of what a lot of people can actually do. Loa not even an energy manipulation yet anything past through her and she destroys them on an atomic level, Magneto and Storm aren't even omega but has done Omega level feat with energy manipulation that most people could never do.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Timandm
    @blacharrt said:
    @Timandm: I would say he had more raw power than the majority, i wouldn't say he could do more.  Because you have to think in terms of what a lot of people can actually do. Loa not even an energy manipulation yet anything past through her and she destroys them on an atomic level, Magneto and Storm aren't even omega but has done Omega level feat with energy manipulation that most people could never do.
    I should have worded that better.  I didn't mean that, on the raw power level, he could do more than all the X-Men combined...

I meant that he could 'accomplish' more, or get more things done agenda wise...  Yes, he's very powerful, more powerful than say a particular team of X-Men, but when it comes to finishing things, or setting an agenda and crossing things off that list, the X-Men are encumbered.  They're naturally encumbered by things that slow down people working as a group; decision making, personal problems, personality conflicts, disagreements within the group, etc....

He could, once stable and at full power, go on missions alone, and finish them without having to worry about Scott's approval, Storm's disapproval, politics, Wolverine getting possessed again, running a school, looking after family members. etc.....  on his own, he could focus on missions, and simply get them done.  He has enough power....I'm not familiar enough with him to know if he's smart enough or has enough experience but he certainly has enough power to do so...
    blacharrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blacharrt
    @Timandm said:
    @blacharrt said:
    I should have worded that better.  I didn't mean that, on the raw power level, he could do more than all the X-Men combined...  I meant that he could 'accomplish' more, or get more things done agenda wise...  Yes, he's very powerful, more powerful than say a particular team of X-Men, but when it comes to finishing things, or setting an agenda and crossing things off that list, the X-Men are encumbered.  They're naturally encumbered by things that slow down people working as a group; decision making, personal problems, personality conflicts, disagreements within the group, etc....  He could, once stable and at full power, go on missions alone, and finish them without having to worry about Scott's approval, Storm's disapproval, politics, Wolverine getting possessed again, running a school, looking after family members. etc.....  on his own, he could focus on missions, and simply get them done.  He has enough power....I'm not familiar enough with him to know if he's smart enough or has enough experience but he certainly has enough power to do so...
    I definitely agree with you on the power, he has more raw power then most being in Marvel which was one of the reasons why Onslaught and Apocalypse wanted him at a power source.

What i didn't understand at all, is his showing in Dark X-men, I'm guessing that was just PIS to reintroduce him back into marvel, Him being overpowered by the Green Goblin persona was just beyond stupid.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Timandm
    @blacharrt: I wish you hadn't brought that up... I'm still trying to blank that part of Dark X-Men out of my memories so I can pretend it didn't happen....  Pathetic, piss-poor writing... That's what that was...It is way past time for Norman-Osborne and his G.I. Joe hair-doo to go away...forever...
    blacharrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blacharrt
    @Timandm: I'm sorry *hugs* It's an ugly part of history for us all, but it just didn't make any sense. Nate performs some epic feats as shaman to be overwhelm by he who shall not be named... So he who shall not be named can overwhelm omega level telepaths??? .......  It gives me a headache.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Timandm
    @blacharrt said:
    @Timandm: I'm sorry *hugs* It's an ugly part of history for us all, but it just didn't make any sense. Nate performs some epic feats as shaman to be overwhelm by he who shall not be named... So he who shall not be named can overwhelm omega level telepaths??? .......  It gives me a headache.
    LOLOL!!! I think you mean "he who 'should' not be named."
    blacharrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By blacharrt

samething, lol

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By DATNIGGA

I hate that they depowered him really they could have just given him stronger enemys sigh...... w/e its cool as long as they alow him to be as strong as he was when he was fighting holocaust 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Marvel Comics; systematically destroying all of their best characters one issue at a time. 

**** you, Marvel.

cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cennobite

He will get his powers back, Elixir will probably heal him or he will just get better with time. 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#23  Edited By xerox_kitty

@DATNIGGA said:

I hate that they depowered him really they could have just given him stronger enemys sigh......

Looking at it from a tactical point of view, it seems more likely that they wanted to bring him down to a level that he wouldn't be unrelatable. This way, more characters can relate to him, instead of seeing him as yet another Summers messiah, and it reduces any potential threat to Hope's importance. So he'll be more of a team-player and less of a mutant god.

But it still doesn't tally with most of his history.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jrock85
    @xerox-kitty
    They watered him down because at his full power, he's got no use for the X-Men.
    Vermillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Vermillo

Hmm...To me it seem like that was the only way to use him.  I mean come on it marvel. If the character is too powerful what do they do...Kill them off. example: scarlet witch, phoneix, cable, sentry, etc. It just sad that there are no good writer anymore who would just come up with challenging stories instead of just downplay characters. But it no the first time that he burnout his powers or  been without his telepathy  or telekinetic so unless Marvel totally dump his backstory then his telepathic powers will come back.  I just happy he still alive. 

Oh on the topic of raw power and  usage,  Nate has display some amazing things with his powers in some ingenious ways to defeat his villians. 1) He tapped into the Earth magnetic field to thrust the Northern God Thrunda through space, 2) Without his telepathics created holograms from debris around him. 3) mind wipe New York city to forget he ever existed. 4) Covert water into oxygen for him to breath while fighting an army of pys ops.  So let not  under estimate Nate genius.    

In my opinion I think Nate has more control over his power  then Legion and while not as power as he used to be still can stand his own. It just how well a writer portray him is the problem for me. Dark X men was garage.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Vermillo said:

Hmm...To me it seem like that was the only way to use him.  I mean come on it marvel. If the character is too powerful what do they do...Kill them off. example: scarlet witch, phoneix, cable, sentry, etc. It just sad that there are no good writer anymore who would just come up with challenging stories instead of just downplay characters. But it no the first time that he burnout his powers or  been without his telepathy  or telekinetic so unless Marvel totally dump his backstory then his telepathic powers will come back.  I just happy he still alive.   Oh on the topic of raw power and  usage,  Nate has display some amazing things with his powers in some ingenious ways to defeat his villians. 1) He tapped into the Earth magnetic field to thrust the Northern God Thrunda through space, 2) Without his telepathics created holograms from debris around him. 3) mind wipe New York city to forget he ever existed. 4) Covert water into oxygen for him to breath while fighting an army of pys ops.  So let not  under estimate Nate genius.      In my opinion I think Nate has more control over his power  then Legion and while not as power as he used to be still can stand his own. It just how well a writer portray him is the problem for me. Dark X men was garage.

Didn't he attempt to do this but was interrupted by Spider-Man and never finished. The logic behind it being futile from Spider-Mans pov was that he couldn't erase newspapers, blogs, photos etc.
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By labarith

The problem with stronger enemies is that they'd probably rip through most of the team. 

Remember when it was discovered that the engines keeping Cable's island floating weren't working ... that it was his powers?  Yeah...  

Now that X-man's depowered, I hope that he can do some shit without being randomly super super super bad. 

Remember all the jazz the Dark X-men had to do to take him down?  (PS, where's mimic?)

Treason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Treason

im just waiting to see his interactions with Hope. Seeing her meet her alternate adopted dad would be awesome. Hopefully he will meet Weapon Omega and Mimic again =)

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jrock85
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Marvel Comics; systematically destroying all of their best characters one issue at a time.   **** you, Marvel.
    You speak for me.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#30  Edited By xerox_kitty

@jrock85 said:  
    @xerox-kitty
    They watered him down because at his full power, he's got no use for the X-Men.  

I believe that's what I said :p
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Shame, I remember reading his appearance in Dark X-men and really looking forward to what they were going to do with him.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kallarkz
    @xerox_kitty said:

@jrock85 said:  
    @xerox-kitty:  They watered him down because at his full power, he's got no use for the X-Men.   I believe that's what I said :p
    by chance do you know if it has been confirmed that Nate will be with the New Mutants for a while?
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jrock85
    @Kallarkz: Yes. They have confirmed that he will be joining the team.

Its going from bad to worse.

**** YOU, MARVEL COMICS!
    DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DATNIGGA
    @jrock85: -_-  Im really starting to not like hope
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jrock85
    Avatar image for morgaine_levesque
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrock85 said: 
     **** YOU, MARVEL COMICS!
    WUT. That's ridiculous. And this is coming from a fan of Hope...
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jrock85
    @Morgaine_de_Bourbon
    Its awful!
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrock85: It is >_< That's just terrible mischaracterization. 
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jrock85
    @Morgaine_de_Bourbon
    Yeah, well, Marvel tends to do that to my favorite characters. LOL
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrock85: I'm an Emma fan (she's one of my top three). I feel your pain. I've been living with mischaracterization since Fraction took the helm. Finally getting her true self back in the capable hands of Gillen. 
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jrock85
    @Morgaine_de_Bourbon
    Fraction is the lord of mischaracterization.
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrock85: I may say that Bendis takes that crown, but god is Fraction right up there. I can't even count the amount of times I've ranted about him. 
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jrock85
    @Morgaine_de_Bourbon
    Good point about Bendis.
    _Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By _Marco_Smith_
    @jrock85: Did you know Bendis is a big fan of fiction? Yeah. He loves it so much he writes fiction within fiction. Ha... Bad joke :P
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jrock85
    @_Marco_Smith_
    LOL.
    DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DATNIGGA
    @jrock85: every comic i can remember from nate grey was always focused on his POWER onslaught wanted him for his POWER exodus tryed to consume him for his POWER sinister wanted to control him due to his POWER the ladies loved him due to his POWER he put an end to apoclips's rein with his POWER sugarman wanted him for his POWER osborn tryed to kill him due to his POWER........ and then you take away his power? Lol thats a HUGE part of his character  
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @DATNIGGA: Not gunna lie, this is probably the only thing i know Nate Grey for......

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.