Follow

X-Gene Mutant

Concept » X-Gene Mutant appears in 4014 issues.

The Children of the Atom, mutants are individuals in the Marvel Universe who are born with an X-Gene that grants them superhuman abilities. Mutants mark the next step in human evolution, known as Homo Superior.

Why is mutant extinction a big deal?

• 79 results
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Beacuse mutants ARE a separate race, it would be like if all black pepole woke up white or vice versa

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

............................................................................................That would be horrendous!!!!

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By SC  Moderator

Remember how there was that big controversy at DC with Tyroc? You know all the black people decided to voluntarily go live on an island apart from everything else? Voluntarily and collectively? Why there were no black people in the future? They just all decided to voluntarily exile themselves on an island. Remember how that was the seventies and we could laugh at how people wrote comics back then? Yeah... 

Heh heh might as well create a story arc called Manifest Destiny... mind you for such a tactically intelligent kind of guy Cyclops is putting all mutants in such a small open place. Then again I suppose getting mutants like Forge to help do security... M-Day is such a weird weird concept. Simply as far as artificial and contrived and particular. Another person already made the analogy if a majority of black people woke up white, and really think about that and what really would happen if something similar happened? Especially if all the black people left were American celebrities and sports people. Could potentially be used to ask some pretty deep questions. Does Chris Brown's life become more important and or valuable than some random non black guy now? Would it be okay to put Terry Crews, Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Ali G, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Idris Elba in a secret assassin squad to kill any who are anti black? What will happen when Oprah receives the Phoenix Force on the moon? Will Tony Stark still screw that up too? Will Beyonce and Jay-Z break up because Nas invaded his kingdom and will he get the Wakandan high priest to be the one to tell her? I think I go lost somewhere during my analogy...     

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
    7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mutants are humans, that's what Magneto failed to realize until not to long ago.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By InnerVenom123

Yay genocide!

Avatar image for killer_of_trolls
    Killer_of_trolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Killer_of_trolls

@ozeol: Don't ask why Cyclops does things. He is a total retard, trying to bring back the phoenix and shit.

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Beacuse mutants ARE a separate race, it would be like if all black pepole woke up white or vice versa

That is a reason worth fighting for? NO

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#56  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Killer_of_trolls

@ozeol: Don't ask why Cyclops does things. He is a total retard, trying to bring back the phoenix and shit.

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

The dieing out of a race is not worth fighting for?
    Killer_of_trolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Killer_of_trolls

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Killer_of_trolls

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

*sigh*you never said dying, now your just playing dumb. You said if black people woke up white. Skin color change is not something to fight for.

why do some people argue for the sake of arguing alone.

ozeol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ozeol

@Killer_of_trolls said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Killer_of_trolls

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

*sigh*you never said dying, now your just playing dumb. You said if black people woke up white. Skin color change is not something to fight for.

I'm not even sure they constitute as a single race; there are just as many races of mutants as humans plus there are the non-human looking ones as well like Beast, Nightcrawler etc.

Mutants have powers but its not exclusive to them, humans have potential to gain powers too like Spider-Man or the Hulk did. This means that there's no difference between humans and mutants.

There's no race or species dying out its just that people aren't gaining powers at birth anymore

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By lykopis

I have to say, I pretty much agree with the OP. All this noise about "race" when really, its humanity, period. I mean --- I don't see people up in an uproar about red hair going to be a thing of the past within the near future. (Its real --- look it up). Should we get all the gingers together on an island and have them barricade themselves to ensure their particular genetic codes?

Its just a plot device. A really, really, unnecessary plot device. They should have just focused on the whole "fear the mutant portion" of humanity and not this "extinction" idea. And yes, just to throw this out there? Some mutant powers were pretty horrific and destructive so it wasn't just being different that caused fear in the general population but actual fear of death, etc. Not to mention heavy destruction and no real damage prevention on the part of mutants when battling with the bad guys.

Not very thought out, sorry --- just killing time here, but this topic is pretty interesting and should be expanded on.

Killer_of_trolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Killer_of_trolls

@ozeol said:

@Killer_of_trolls said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Killer_of_trolls

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I'm not even sure they constitute as a single race; there are just as many races of mutants as humans plus there are the non-human looking ones as well like Beast, Nightcrawler etc.

Mutants have powers but its not exclusive to them, humans have potential to gain powers too like Spider-Man or the Hulk did. This means that there's no difference between humans and mutants.

There's no race or species dying out its just that people aren't gaining powers at birth anymore

what are you telling this to me for. It's Jonny who made that stupid argument.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By Blood1991

@lykopis said:

I have to say, I pretty much agree with the OP. All this noise about "race" when really, its humanity, period. I mean --- I don't see people up in an uproar about red hair going to be a thing of the past within the near future. (Its real --- look it up). Should we get all the gingers together on an island and have them barricade themselves to ensure their particular genetic codes?

Its just a plot device. A really, really, unnecessary plot device. They should have just focused on the whole "fear the mutant portion" of humanity and not this "extinction" idea. And yes, just to throw this out there? Some mutant powers were pretty horrific and destructive so it wasn't just being different that caused fear in the general population but actual fear of death, etc. Not to mention heavy destruction and no real damage prevention on the part of mutants when battling with the bad guys.

Not very thought out, sorry --- just killing time here, but this topic is pretty interesting and should be expanded on.

I agree. When the X-Men were fighting for equality I respected their bravery to do good and save lives. They were rising above their situation and standing tall against the world. Then they just lock themselves up on a island. I understood why, and M Day blah blah, but I felt like they gave up.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Killer_of_trolls said:

@ozeol said:

@Killer_of_trolls said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Killer_of_trolls

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

what are you telling this to me for. It's Jonny who made that stupid argument.

shoo troll

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#63  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Killer_of_trolls: Let's refrain from insulting other users.

Yai_Inn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Yai_Inn

Well I suppose you could ask what's the big deal about anything going extinct? Dinosaurs, the Dodo, Redheads, most languages, etc.  
    I think the problem lies in how something goes extinct. Whether it is through natural progressions or if it is systemically eradicated. The Mutant population being reduced by Wanda is something no one could control, but what's left ought to be preserved. You could draw parallels to any number of endangered species. Just because prior generations hunted and reduced the populations of many exotic animals is no excuse for current generations to turn a blind eye on their survival.   

Killer_of_trolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Killer_of_trolls

@Deranged Midget said:

@Killer_of_trolls: Let's refrain from insulting other users.

I have not insulted him. He called me a troll, though. I called the argument stupid, and did not directly describe him in any way. Don't know why would you side with him like that. I feel betrayed and offended, and request that he get's a warning.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Killer_of_trolls: I'm not siding with anyone nor am I picking sides. You referred to his argument as stupid, all I asked was for you to refrain from that nature.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

shoo troll

C'mon, let's not insult others.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Deranged Midget: Ever time he comments on my posts it's pompus and insulting, if he just didn't comment then I wouldn't call him a troll

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#69  Edited By DATNIGGA

@Crash_Recovery said:

The basis of the X-Men was the civil rights movement. Sentinels have also been around for a while..but all of what you just said acts as if the X-Men have never...evolved.

The X-Men, in the past few decades, have reached levels of acceptance and legitimacy that they didn't have previously. For the most part, they're "out", and people accept the likes of Wolverine and Beast (and more) as Avengers.

Yes, there are those who seek to kill Mutants, but the X-Men pull away rather than taking advantage of their superhuman allies, government connections (SHIELD, SWORD, etc) and so on.

For a group concerned with survival, grouping together in a small, easily attackable landmass, seems like a poor idea. Way to put all of your eggs in one basket.

The avengers, sheild ect don't really stand up for mutants like that through the course of operation zero tolerance, sentential's purifiers ect. the avengers , FF & shield are literally no where to be found. & as you have said they have made some improvements over the years but since the government & other hero's turn a blind eye too mutant problems the X men are forced to handle things themselves.

Many get mad at Cyclops for being militant. but in a world where mostly everyone hates your kind & very little rise to help you.. you have to be that way. avengers for the most part are superhero's x men for the most part are survivors & solders trying to fight for there rights & lives.

on one hand you could say yeah well there separating themselves from everyone but on the other hand you could say that there sticking together because ultimately there stronger in a team than apart.

@lykopis said:

it is all humanity after all.. but to ignore the difference would be pointless.

For example...

Say last Tuesday 80% of Colombia's population was wiped out/ killed & there was only a small portion that survived. that portion is being attacked left & right by terrorists & this causes additional deaths. even though this chaos is happening NO other outside forces are helping them everyone just turns the blind Eye to this chaos that is happening. so now the people of Colombia band together build weapons & death squads to defend themselfs against attackers & due to know one helping them they lock Colombia down locking out outsiders....

Are the Colombians wrong for doing this? after all know one helped them in there many times of need?

but... since there all human just like us we shouldn't make a big deal out of this huh? lol

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By TheCrowbar

It's not mutants that don't want acceptance and want normal lives. It's everyone else that won't leave them alone as I've said before:

Yet countries are still buying sentinels like hotcakes.

The Avengers invaded Utopia.

Norman Osborn hunted them down.

In the 80's there was God Loves, Man Kills.

There was the "Fall of The Mutants" in 1988, government based discrimination against Mutants.

There's the entire Genosha enslavements of the '90s

Operation Zero Tolerance.

That was the last 30 years. Mutants aren't widely accepted, you have a few token mutants on the Avengers sure. But that's all they are, tokens.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By DevilMayehm666

Why are people comparing being a mutant to being black when it is closer to mutations in real life? A lot of birth defects and diseases in real life come from mutation.You don't turn black when you hit puberty either and some mutant powers are a curse.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By TheCrowbar

@DeviousBastard said:

Why are people comparing being a mutant to being black when it is closer to mutations in real life? A lot of birth defects and diseases in real life come from mutation.You don't turn black when you hit puberty either and some mutant powers are a curse.

Mutants are a race their powers just get realized at puberty and not all mutants gain their powers at puberty some are born with them.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@TheCrowbar said:

@DeviousBastard said:

Mutants are a race their powers just get realized at puberty and not all mutants gain their powers at puberty some are born with them.

They are not really a "race" by real world terms.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TheCrowbar

@DeviousBastard said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@DeviousBastard said:

They are not really a "race" by real world terms.

They are.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Define%3A+Race&oq=Define%3A+Race&sugexp=chrome,mod=11&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Solarflare32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Solarflare32

The reason the Purifiers avoid government retribution is they have friends in high places in both the government and church. Also there was a mutant congressman shown at 1 point

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By DevilMayehm666
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By TheCrowbar

@DeviousBastard: Not all Black people look the same.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@TheCrowbar said:

@DeviousBastard: Not all Black people look the same.

You know what I mean. Or are you talking about being culturally black.

homosexuality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By homosexuality

Mutants going extinct is a problem it's not good for any species to go extinct at all in mutants our not humans at all that's why humans hate them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.