Follow

X-Gene Mutant

Concept » X-Gene Mutant appears in 4011 issues.

The Children of the Atom, mutants are individuals in the Marvel Universe who are born with an X-Gene that grants them superhuman abilities. Mutants mark the next step in human evolution, known as Homo Superior.

Is the prejudice against mutants still a valid allegory??

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By SuperXAsh

I know that Marvel's world (like DC's) is set on a really whacky sliding timeline or whatever you wanna call it to justify why their characters don't age much, but I have a hard time accepting the idea that, by now in the Marvel U, that mutants would still be such a hated minority. I mean, I know it's meant to be allegorical of racism, prejudice against homosexuals, etc. but is the allegory in danger of being an almost ridiculous self-parody of the subject matter??  

Because I'd like to think that by now, with the "80th" time that mutants have saved mankind, that there'd be a lot more acceptance. Mutant heroes have been apart of most of the major conflicts and events that have saved humanity from utter extinction, enslavement, etc. that you'd think there'd be a little less prejudice. Granted all we see with the X-Men is evil and bigotry, would it kill Marvel to have a nice story where it shows that the X-Men ARE making a difference somewhere?
    SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SuperXAsh
    @Edamame:
    i know that. O.o But when is the strife shown in the comic almost becoming an exaggeration of real life? 

I'm not debating that prejudice is bad, don't get me wrong.
    ofaaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ofaaron

My problem with the mutants in the Marvel Universe is that they only seem to make sense in the context of the X-Men books. When you look at the Universe as a whole, I really don't think the everyday Joe could tell the difference between people with super powers and people with mutant powers. I guess some people hate both, but the majority seem to be able to understand enough about the situation to focus their hate towards mutants. That just doesn't seem very believable.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DH69

only reason i dont like mutants is because i think they're cheaters when it comes to getting their powers. uh-oh puberty BAM i can control the weather, uh oh voice is changing BOOM lasers shooting out of my eyes. no spiders, no surviving a gamma bomb, no shrapnel in the chest, they just get them. otherwise i couldnt care less about them, as a minority

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Nerx

Yes and they are acceptable target sfor every hidden feelings of hate and discriminations

lets rant on how bad  mutants are
    -Put them in weapon x internship camps
    -Kill all muties with sentinels
    -Drown their babies
    -Lets cleanse humanity of mutantkind

Magneto was right since normal humans on  the MU are assholes and ungrateful bastards. Like how FF saved the damn earth from Galactus and since stamford blew up people got into a state pf PMS and hated the good guys.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Korg

I think it has become outmoded, but for different reasons. A big part of the hate and fear of mutants was the fact that any person could potentially be a mutant. They were in humanity's midst. Their children could turn into monsters any day. Joe Schmoe's daughter could bring some mutie she met at the club home for dinner. This is no longer the case, and I would think the vast majority of people on Marvel Earth would know that. The mutants are down to ~200, and the vast majority of them are on the same island, completely isolated from everyone else. They aren't really a threat anymore. Especially after the events of Civil War, and the implementation of the 50 State Initiative. You'd think people would feel pretty safe from the mutant threat right now. This is one thing that has bothered me about all the anti-mutant people Bastion brought back from the dead. No one questioned their reappearance, or their ridiculous demands to finish the mutant race off. People just kind of fell back into place, even though there have been massive changes to the world they live in since Cameron Hodge or Bolivar Trask were last seen alive.

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SuperXAsh
    @Korg:
    yeah exactly. Granted I doubt they really have much free will in the matter. :P
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Korg
    @SuperXAsh said:
    " @Korg: yeah exactly. Granted I doubt they really have much free will in the matter. :P "
    Trask and Hodge might not have, but the people who chose to follow them did.
    P90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By P90

I can understand the fear and prejudice but to act on it has always seemed dumb to me, who in their right mind would attack known superhuman beings with baseball bats etc.
    Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Harlekin
    @Nerx said:
    "Drown their babies"
    We only did it because they were going to drown are babies first, filthy mutants.
    Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Nerx
    @Harlekin: or bring back the legacy virus
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Captain13

The X-Men should have their own universe separate from the Marvel U. It would make more sense. Wolverine could be in both universes. lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.