Follow

X-Factor

Team » X-Factor appears in 1694 issues.

Originally a team comprising the original five X-Men, X-Factor was eventually turned a government task force. Jamie Madrox later took the name to found X-Factor Investigations and ultimately sold it to Serval Industries. Now, X-Factor Investigations was reformed on Krakoa.

X-Factor: Forever

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

Reactions to Chris Claremont'sX-Men: Forever have been mixed.  Some fans are thrilled to see Claremont back on the X-Men from a period of comics history that they loved, while others (myself included) are turned off by the old fashioned story-telling.  
    Whatever we feel about it, it seems that Marvel has become addicted to the 'Forever' concept.  Chris Claremont has already talked briefly about the upcoming New Mutants: Forever, which will pick up from when he left the title with issue #54

Now here comes the latest in the line of 'Forever' mutants titles.  X-Factor: Forever will be written by Louise Simonson.  She wrote the original X-Factor from it's premier up to issue #63.  The team consisted of the original five X-Men, who were living in Apocalypse's celestial Ship.  

Unlike X-Men: Forever, this will only be a 4-part mini series.  While in the same vein as X-Men: Forever, the story will pick up right after the writer's last regular appearance on the story and then divert off into another universe of possibilities.   

X-Factor: Forever #1
        X-Factor: Forever #1
    So for those who can't remember all the details about what had happened up to that point, Louise Simonson provided a pretty thorough up-date.  
    Weezy Simonson said:

"Returning from a space adventure involving the Celestials, X-Factor's Ship - originally a Celestial information gathering artifact appropriated by the immortal villain Apocalypse - has landed upright, a towering monolith on the site of the destroyed X-Factor building in lower Manhattan, overlooking the Hudson River. Ship has begun to experience a few minor malfunctions.

X-Factor continue, for good or ill, as publically known mutants. They have offered the press photo-ops in exchange for a modicum of privacy. Even though they live in New York, they can't make an outside move without someone snapping their picture.

Scott/Cyclops has a baby son, Christopher, by his dead wife Madelyne Pryor - who became the Goblin Queen. For those who don't remember, Maddy was a clone of Jean Gray, created by the villain Mr. Sinister. She died during "Inferno."

Most mutants don't begin to manifest powers until adolescence, but the infant, Christopher, can already project a protective force field - a variation on Jean's telekinetic shield power. When Jean and the baby use their powers at the same time, because of their relationship, their powers repel each other.

Scott has asked Jean to marry him, but Jean has refused since she's having trouble integrating the confusing and terrible memories left her by the out-of-control Phoenix entity - a being that once impersonated her and became a destroyer of planets - and the Goblin Queen, who tried to sacrifice her own son. Though Jean is no longer telepathic, she's beginning to have low-level telepathic flashes. Because this seems linked to the Phoenix persona, she's not quite sure how to react. Jean is also troubled because both of her "clones" became evil. She fears that this happened because the original is badly flawed. Despite the baby's origin, Jean loves little Christopher, who is the son of her genes, if not the child of her body.

Warren/Archangel, no longer the sunny Angel, has begun to accept his own transformation by Apocalypse into a blue-skinned living weapon. He has begun to master his dark emotions and exert control over his lethal wings.

The super-intelligent Hank/ Beast is blue and furry, agile, and stronger than ever. He misses being able to pass as human, is tired of being stared at because of his physical differentness, and hides his discomfort behind a joking exterior.

Bobby/Iceman's powers have increased to the point where, without his power damper belt, his ability could go dangerously out of control. In the past, he'd seen himself as second rate, but, as he matures, he's beginning to accept his own strength.

The villain Apocalypse continues to monitor the activities of X-Factor and Ship, as well as the other mutants on Earth.

Apocalypse's Hellhound, the transformed Caliban, has been stalking the Marauders who murdered his people, the Morlocks. Sabretooth is Caliban's final target. But Sabretooth wants nothing more than to finish off Archangel."

Character & Costume Designs
    Character & Costume Designs

It brings back a lot of memories!  I loved the original X-Factor (not just because it had Boom-Boom in it).  It was a chance to see the original X-Men together & doing what they did best.  What's more, it had the unusual twist of having them as publically loved figures at a time when distrust of mutants was at an all time high & the Mutant Registration Act was being enforced. 

So what can we expect of X-Factor:  Forever?  Once again, Louise Simonson filled us in on what we can expect to see. 

Weezy said:
    "The Celestials have begun to keep a sharp eye on evolving humankind. Apocalypse believes he knows why, and that mutantkind has a desperate and pervasive problem that puts humanity, itself, at risk of extinction. The arrival of a Celestial poses a deadly threat, and X-Factor and Apocalypse - deadly enemies - must join forces to prove humanity's worthiness before the colossus can use his vast power to destroy the Earth."

Personally, I'm not sure if I want to see this.  So far, Dan Panosian's art looks great; a modern take on the classic X-Factor look.  I've also been a big fan of Louise Simonson's work on the mutant titles in the past.  However, I'm tired of seeing these rejigged 'what if...' type histories.  At least she's smart enough to admit that these are all new stories...  

Weezy added:   

"I know I'm going to hear the question, "Is this really, exactly, what you would have done if you'd continued with "X-Factor" eighteen years ago?" The answer is…of course not. Or not exactly. There have been a lot of stories involving these characters in the last eighteen years, and I'd want to avoid re-telling any of them."

So what does everyone think?  Is this a story you'd like to see?  Are you excited about seeing the original X-Men together as X-Factor again?  Or are you tired of going back in time to retell stories about what could have been?? 

Check out the whole interview with Louise Simonson, over on CBR.

X-Factor, together Forever...?
    X-Factor, together Forever...?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By John Valentine

Well, this will certainly be better than X-Men: Forever. I'm all for it.
    bioghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By bioghost

i might actually pick this up.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

I'm crazy about the concept, but I really enjoyed that period of X-Factor's life...  Although Jean with wavey long hair, while wearing yellow & green, looks remarkably like Siryn :p    

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#5  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I think this is one I'll actually read.

serenityq2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By serenityq2

anything that has jean grey in it cant be that bad. though im not really feeling x-men forever (just too different for me; i love the original/real storyline. the only changes i would make would be to keep everyone alive, let all the x-men stay xmen and keep the blue and gold teams.) the only reason im reading xmen forever is because jean grey and the only reason i will read xfactor forever is because of jean grey
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Erik

So are the forever series non canon, an alternate universe? Or are they just untold stories? 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @erik said:
    " So are the forever series non canon, an alternate universe? Or are they just untold stories?  "
    Alternate Universe.  Think of it as a new universe that branches off after a certain point of Earth-616's reality.  But it seems that none of the Forever titles are connected to each other.  So they're each a whole new Universe (not in the same universe like the Ultimate titles).
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Erik
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @erik said:
    " So are the forever series non canon, an alternate universe? Or are they just untold stories?  "
    Alternate Universe.  Think of it as a new universe that branches off after a certain point of Earth-616's reality.  But it seems that none of the Forever titles are connected to each other.  So they're each a whole new Universe (not in the same universe like the Ultimate titles). "
    Bah! That kind of stuff is not for me. I really like untold kind of stories but I never really cared for following alternate timelines with the exception of Ultimate and AoA.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @erik said:
    "Bah! That kind of stuff is not for me. I really like untold kind of stories but I never really cared for following alternate timelines with the exception of Ultimate and AoA. "
    I know what you mean.  I'd rather read something that slots in to regular continuity.  However, by saying it's another universe, they give the creative team more freedom to create stories that have less restrictions.  But I loved the old X-Factor, I loved what Weezy Simonson did with the stories back then. 

I think I'll try this mini series as a 'decent What If...?'.  Personally, I don't like the What If titles because they are all about doom, gloom & mass slaughter.  Since this is Louise Simonson, I doubt that it'll turn into a typical 'What If...?' but hopefully into a decent story.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrinceIMC

I'm looking forward to this. I had no interest in X-Men Forever but this actually sounds good and looks good.

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Ryonslaught
    @John Valentine said:

" Well, this will certainly be better than X-Men: Forever. I'm all for it. "

this will be sublime, none of that cable is Nathan schmidt 
    ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.