Follow

X-Factor

Team » X-Factor appears in 1694 issues.

Originally a team comprising the original five X-Men, X-Factor was eventually turned a government task force. Jamie Madrox later took the name to found X-Factor Investigations and ultimately sold it to Serval Industries. Now, X-Factor Investigations was reformed on Krakoa.

Shatterstar & Rictor Kissing - Finally!

jasonbroccoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jasonbroccoli

I just wanted to say I am shocked and overjoyed by this development... WOW! I'm glad Marvel had the courage to go with this storyline!

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

You've already posted in various other Rictor & Shatterstar threads.  Does this honestly need another??

Ripcord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ripcord

I hate it. Shatty-Buns isn't gay. Rictor I don't care about, but Star is my dude. Next, their gonna have him the clingy girlfriend in the relationship.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

I can see Shatterstar being gay, since he'd never had any sexual or romantic relationship before.  As Rictor was the person he's been closest to, then it isn't too surprising that he's become attracted to him.  However, he'd never had any relation before and Rictor was very much a brooding & macho stud... This twist in their relationship isn't realistic, it's more of a satirical spin on two muscular fighting characters who typified what comics in the 1990's stood for.

What I object to is the screaming attitude of yaoi fans.  They ruin my enjoyment of manga, and I don't want them to ruin my enjoyment of US comics too...
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Zoom

Finally?  You've been waiting for Shatterstar and Rictor to make out?  You've been waiting for Shatterstar to do anything?

@Ripcord said:

"I hate it. Shatty-Buns isn't gay. Rictor I don't care about, but Star is my dude. Next, their gonna have him the clingy girlfriend in the relationship. "
    Because God forbid Shatterstar get some character development after getting absolutely none for years.
    Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Kastiel

At first he didn't have any emotions, what happened?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By pixelized

Peter David

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Well this is nice to see.  Now maybe Marvel will actually have the courage to create a few gay characters who aren't B and C-listers.  Here's an idea: Cap coming back will also be a chance for Cap to come out.  That's right, Steve Rogers is gay.  Now that would be a courageous and awesome development.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pixelized

i said the same thing not too long ago!

Ripcord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ripcord
    @Zoom said:
    "Finally?  You've been waiting for Shatterstar and Rictor to make out?  You've been waiting for Shatterstar to do anything?

@Ripcord said:
    "I hate it. Shatty-Buns isn't gay. Rictor I don't care about, but Star is my dude. Next, their gonna have him the clingy girlfriend in the relationship. "
    Because God forbid Shatterstar get some character development after getting absolutely none for years."

They screwed him up, Zoom. I'm sure other writers could see that and left him alone. It's been building to this ever since X-Force#44. I was hoping they didn't do it, but they did. This is crap, but if it leads to a fight between Star and Wolvesbane, I'll be happy to see him whip her tail.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pixelized

how did they screw him up??? 

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zoom
    @Ripcord said:
    "They screwed him up, Zoom. I'm sure other writers could see that and left him alone. It's been building to this ever since X-Force#44. I was hoping they didn't do it, but they did. This is crap, but if it leads to a fight between Star and Wolvesbane, I'll be happy to see him whip her tail. "
    No, other writers left him alone because he was a crap character designed by Rob Liefeld.

Peter David is all about breathing life into crap characters (see: Snapper Carr) and he did it again.  Good for Shatterstar.
    Ripcord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ripcord
    @pixelized said:
    "how did they screw him up???  "

They made him massively dependent on Rictor. They screwed up his origin. They had him lose his combative edge. Then, they throw him to the side at the end of OZT. Next time we see him is cleaning up Rictor's family business. Then he isn't seen for four years and the crappy X-Force mini is how they bring him back, and he gets upstaged in fighting by Boom Boom. lol What didn't they do wrong with him? 
    Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Lifeguard85

Eh, Im ok with it. Seems interesting enough to me. Although, I love how Rob Liefeld said that it was horrible writing and that Shatterstar was a spartan and not gay. I think someone should tell him that many Spartans were involved intimately with members of the same sex, at least while they were younger, because of how they seperated the sexes for training and preparing them for adulthood in Spartan society. Im also pretty sure they were one of the first greek nations to do this, so its funny that Liefeld called him a Spartan LOL.

However, I dont think he is gay, I just think he is attracted to Rictor and only Rictor because of their buddy buddyness...he is Rictorsexual LOL

Ripcord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ripcord
    @Zoom said:
    "@Ripcord said:
    "They screwed him up, Zoom. I'm sure other writers could see that and left him alone. It's been building to this ever since X-Force#44. I was hoping they didn't do it, but they did. This is crap, but if it leads to a fight between Star and Wolvesbane, I'll be happy to see him whip her tail. "
    No, other writers left him alone because he was a crap character designed by Rob Liefeld.Peter David is all about breathing life into crap characters (see: Snapper Carr) and he did it again.  Good for Shatterstar. "
    He was not a crap character. He was a great character. Him being designed by Liefeld has nothing to do with it. Ever since X-Force # 44 he was different. They drained the life out of him somehow. Read some earlier X-Force stuff and still tell me he was crap.
    Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Apparition
    @Alexander Anderson said:
    " Well this is nice to see.  Now maybe Marvel will actually have the courage to create a few gay characters who aren't B and C-listers.  Here's an idea: Cap coming back will also be a chance for Cap to come out.  That's right, Steve Rogers is gay.  Now that would be a courageous and awesome development. "
    i'd rather they created a new a-lister and made him gay.  its kinda silly to take an established heterosexual and make them gay for... what?  to say you have a gay a-lister?  take someone who hasnt been shown as being straight all these years.  they could take mr a billion exploding suns and make him gay.  that would make more sense to me.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zoom
    @Ripcord said:
    "He was not a crap character. He was a great character. Him being designed by Liefeld has nothing to do with it. Ever since X-Force # 44 he was different. They drained the life out of him somehow. Read some earlier X-Force stuff and still tell me he was crap. "

He was crap.  Everything about X-Force sucked.  Everything.
    Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Apparition
    @Ripcord said:
    " @Zoom said:
    "@Ripcord said:
    No, other writers left him alone because he was a crap character designed by Rob Liefeld.Peter David is all about breathing life into crap characters (see: Snapper Carr) and he did it again.  Good for Shatterstar. "
    He was not a crap character. He was a great character. Him being designed by Liefeld has nothing to do with it. Ever since X-Force # 44 he was different. They drained the life out of him somehow. Read some earlier X-Force stuff and still tell me he was crap. "
    i never liked him but that's just me
    Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lifeguard85
    @Apparition said:
    " @Alexander Anderson said:
    " Well this is nice to see.  Now maybe Marvel will actually have the courage to create a few gay characters who aren't B and C-listers.  Here's an idea: Cap coming back will also be a chance for Cap to come out.  That's right, Steve Rogers is gay.  Now that would be a courageous and awesome development. "
    i'd rather they created a new a-lister and made him gay.  its kinda silly to take an established heterosexual and make them gay for... what?  to say you have a gay a-lister?  take someone who hasnt been shown as being straight all these years.  they could take mr a billion exploding suns and make him gay.  that would make more sense to me. "
    Technically he is not gay or straight, he is supposedly asexual and until now, has shown no attraction to either sex. Although there are claims that hints were dropped in X-Force showing that he was very "close" with Rictor, which is how this whole thing came about.
    Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Apparition
    @Lifeguard85 said:
    " @Apparition said:
    i'd rather they created a new a-lister and made him gay.  its kinda silly to take an established heterosexual and make them gay for... what?  to say you have a gay a-lister?  take someone who hasnt been shown as being straight all these years.  they could take mr a billion exploding suns and make him gay.  that would make more sense to me. "
    Technically he is not gay or straight, he is supposedly asexual and until now, has shown no attraction to either sex. Although there are claims that hints were dropped in X-Force showing that he was very "close" with Rictor, which is how this whole thing came about. "
    ok but i was talking about captain america and the void's better half, not shatterstar
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pixelized
    @Zoom said:
    " @Ripcord said:
    "He was not a crap character. He was a great character. Him being designed by Liefeld has nothing to do with it. Ever since X-Force # 44 he was different. They drained the life out of him somehow. Read some earlier X-Force stuff and still tell me he was crap. "
    He was crap.  Everything about X-Force sucked.  Everything. "
    I SO AGREE! Boom Boom had zero development until Sabretooth, whom she magical befriended, killed Psylocke. Shatterstar was so one dimensional, as was Rictor. Warpath was too into Siryn, Siryn was too into Alcohol, and Sunspot would Disappear for 20 issues at a time. Cannonball and Cable were the only ones who got any shine in that awful, awful book.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zoom

@pixelized said:

"@Zoom said:
    "He was crap.  Everything about X-Force sucked.  Everything. "
    I SO AGREE! Boom Boom had zero development until Sabretooth, whom she magical befriended, killed Psylocke. Shatterstar was so one dimensional, as was Rictor. Warpath was too into Siryn, Siryn was too into Alcohol, and Sunspot would Disappear for 20 issues at a time. Cannonball and Cable were the only ones who got any shine in that awful, awful book.
    "

She had more names than personality.  That one issue of Uncanny made me like her and then I went and bought a bunch of X-Force comics only to find that the character didn't exist anywhere else and was just a generic woman who could make things explode in her other book.  Very annoyed.

The worst thing about it imo, is that Warpath had a personality before he joined X-Force, as did Cannonball.  Cannonball was awesome in New Mutants and the issue with the original Thunderbird's funeral was outstanding.  Then X-Force came along and they forgot to have personalities.

Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lifeguard85
    @Apparition said:
    " @Lifeguard85 said:
    " @Apparition said:
    Technically he is not gay or straight, he is supposedly asexual and until now, has shown no attraction to either sex. Although there are claims that hints were dropped in X-Force showing that he was very "close" with Rictor, which is how this whole thing came about. "
    ok but i was talking about captain america and the void's better half, not shatterstar "
    ohhhh then never mind then lol
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pixelized

I completely agree. Other than being Cannonball's arm candy for 30 issues, she had no role. There was the little girl she met that was a prostitute, but by the next issue all of that was forgotten. fast forward 10 issues to where Cannonball leaves and she has to find a new guy to attach herself to so she chooses Sabretooth? gross. Annnnnnnnnnnnd, in the beginning she had an ounce of Spunk and Flare, that was switched out for Ditz and Naivety in later on in the series. 

Before
    Before
    After
    After
    Also about Warpath i like how he Magically lost like 120 pounds from where he began. Everyone in X-Force was washed of their personality.. except Feral, i'm inclined to believe that she was always blood thirsty. 
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Apparition said:
    But see, then they would be creating a gay A-lister just to have a gay A-lister.  That character's major defining attribute would be that he or she was gay.  By "outing" an established A-lister, Marvel is saying that their sexual orientation is only one aspect of who they are, in addition to all the other facets of their character that we're familiar with.  Obviously, it would be very important to choose the right character for this, and I think Cap fits the bill well.  None of his heterosexual relationships have struck me as particularly fiery or genuine, and the power and symbolism of having Steve Rogers, the living symbol of the American Dream and pinacle of male physical perfection, be a gay man secretly trying to find acceptance in an America he is supposed to represent would be brilliant.  It would be courageous.  It would probably be the awesomest, most foreward thinking move in the last twenty years of comics.  Marvel would catch tons of flak for it, fans would either be awe-struck or outraged, there would be a huge controversy, and it would be staggering.  The best move ever.  Revolutionary and daring, in keeping with Marvel's tradition of representing alternative conceptions of heroism.  Of course, it will never happen in a million years, but I wish it would.

As for making Sentry gay, who would care?  Most people hate Sentry anyway, he has no personality other than being weird and mentally unstable since most of his writing up to this point has been crap, and he has no resonance with the public outside of comic-book fans.  There would be no symbolism, no meaning, no point.  It would just be throwing a bone with another token gay character, and a shameless ripoff of the Apollo angle from the Authority, which was done better than Marvel could ever hope to manage.  If you're going to reveal that an A-lister is gay, it has to be someone well-known, a big name, someone that will make headlines and make people think about how they view the character.  It has to serve a higher purpose than just representing token diversity or whatever.  This is a chance to make history if Marvel has the balls to take it.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Apparition
    " @Apparition said:
    But see, then they would be creating a gay A-lister just to have a gay A-lister.  That character's major defining attribute would be that he or she was gay.  By "outing" an established A-lister, Marvel is saying that their sexual orientation is only one aspect of who they are, in addition to all the other facets of their character that we're familiar with.  Obviously, it would be very important to choose the right character for this, and I think Cap fits the bill well.  None of his heterosexual relationships have struck me as particularly fiery or genuine, and the power and symbolism of having Steve Rogers, the living symbol of the American Dream and pinacle of male physical perfection, be a gay man secretly trying to find acceptance in an America he is supposed to represent would be brilliant.  It would be courageous.  It would probably be the awesomest, most foreward thinking move in the last twenty years of comics.  Marvel would catch tons of flak for it, fans would either be awe-struck or outraged, there would be a huge controversy, and it would be staggering.  The best move ever.  Revolutionary and daring, in keeping with Marvel's tradition of representing alternative conceptions of heroism.  Of course, it will never happen in a million years, but I wish it would.As for making Sentry gay, who would care?  Most people hate Sentry anyway, he has no personality other than being weird and mentally unstable since most of his writing up to this point has been crap, and he has no resonance with the public outside of comic-book fans.  There would be no symbolism, no meaning, no point.  It would just be throwing a bone with another token gay character, and a shameless ripoff of the Apollo angle from the Authority, which was done better than Marvel could ever hope to manage.  If you're going to reveal that an A-lister is gay, it has to be someone well-known, a big name, someone that will make headlines and make people think about how they view the character.  It has to serve a higher purpose than just representing token diversity or whatever.  This is a chance to make history if Marvel has the balls to take it. "
    better to create a gay character then take a straight one and just make him gay.  that's like deciding cap should come back black or asian or as a woman, just to make certain groups happy.  he's already an established character.  make a character, or take one whose sexuality isnt known and make him gay.  that makes more sense.  his major defining attribute doesnt have to be that he's gay.  not if they actually write him well.  they can give him the same variety of attributes that anyone else has.

making cap gay doesnt strike me as courageous, it just doesnt make any sense.  ive read years and years of his relationships with women and though you didnt find them fiery or genuine, i found them an intricate part of his character.  for me, i just wouldnt buy that he was suddenly homosexual.  it wouldnt come across as the genuine character to me.

if you dont like sentry then my idea of making a character should be fine.  black panther's a great black character but imagine if instead of making a black character, they just decided to change a character from white to black.  maybe a character whose being white was an intricate part of their character.  has black panther, luke cage, falcon, or any other black character just seemed like a complete token for diversity?  maybe at first but as they built their own storylines, they certainly dont seem like that now.

we're obviously not going to agree on this, but to me, rewriting cap as a gay man would just come across as phony.

Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Apparition said:
    black panther's a great black character but imagine if instead of making a black character, they just decided to change a character from white to black.  maybe a character whose being white was an intricate part of their character.  has black panther, luke cage, falcon, or any other black character just seemed like a complete token for diversity?  maybe at first but as they built their own storylines, they certainly dont seem like that now.we're obviously not going to agree on this, but to me, rewriting cap as a gay man would just come across as phony. "
    I don't think the comparison to race holds water in this situation.  People can go through a good chunk of their lives appearing to be heterosexual, being in relationships, even getting married and having children, all while actually being homosexual in their orientation.  I've known people who have gone through this, including members of my family.  Thus, it would be possible for Cap to come out, even if it was very jarring (and it would be a shocking, even traumatic move, don't get me wrong).  The same can't be said for race; there's no plausible way that a black character could just become white, or vice-versa.  As for the comparisons to Cage, Falcon and BP, that's a whole different very complex set of issues.  In short, yes, those characters did grow beyond their "token" origins to varying degrees, but the stigma of those origins is still palpable in all three of them even today, and it certainly wasn't planned out by their creators.  And again, race isn't the same as sexual orientation, even if there are parallels in the struggle for acceptance that's going on today.  There are only so many comparisons you can draw. 

I don't want to open that can of worms tonight though.  Let's just agree to disagree on the point of Cap's sexuality.  It's a completely subjective preferrence in storytelling, and I definitely get where you're coming from with it feeling phony.  If they did do it, it would have to be done very well or not at all.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Apparition
    " @Apparition said:
    black panther's a great black character but imagine if instead of making a black character, they just decided to change a character from white to black.  maybe a character whose being white was an intricate part of their character.  has black panther, luke cage, falcon, or any other black character just seemed like a complete token for diversity?  maybe at first but as they built their own storylines, they certainly dont seem like that now.we're obviously not going to agree on this, but to me, rewriting cap as a gay man would just come across as phony. "
    I don't think the comparison to race holds water in this situation.  People can go through a good chunk of their lives appearing to be heterosexual, being in relationships, even getting married and having children, all while actually being homosexual in their orientation.  I've known people who have gone through this, including members of my family.  Thus, it would be possible for Cap to come out, even if it was very jarring (and it would be a shocking, even traumatic move, don't get me wrong).  The same can't be said for race; there's no plausible way that a black character could just become white, or vice-versa.  As for the comparisons to Cage, Falcon and BP, that's a whole different very complex set of issues.  In short, yes, those characters did grow beyond their "token" origins to varying degrees, but the stigma of those origins is still palpable in all three of them even today, and it certainly wasn't planned out by their creators.  And again, race isn't the same as sexual orientation, even if there are parallels in the struggle for acceptance that's going on today.  There are only so many comparisons you can draw.  I don't want to open that can of worms tonight though.  Let's just agree to disagree on the point of Cap's sexuality.  It's a completely subjective preferrence in storytelling, and I definitely get where you're coming from with it feeling phony.  If they did do it, it would have to be done very well or not at all. "
    i agree with the racial aspect being different enough and with the fact that it could be claimed that he was homosexual the whole time and just hiding it or not being true to himself or whatever, and i even agree that there is still some stiga to the black characters we mentioned, though of course we're still on completely opposite sides of this and i dont see it changing, so agreeing to disagree would certainly be the best thing.  youre right, completely subjective and i would have as big a problem with it as you would an enjoyment of it, so its good we can just let it go and happily talk about something else in the future.   :)
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zoom

Speaking of Cap being gay...

No Caption Provided

Speaking of Tabby lacking character development...

No Caption Provided

I also like how she could randomly fly in Nextwave just so you knew the amount of shits Warren Ellis gave about X-Force was zero.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pixelized

She had a jetpack in Nextwave, under that big ass trench coat

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@pixelized:
    don't recall that
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pixelized

they were given out in the first issue or so.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zoom
    @pixelized said:
    "She had a jetpack in Nextwave, under that big ass trench coat "
    Really?  Aww. :-(

Just looked it up.  You're totally right.  But Monica didn't give one to Elisa because she doesn't like her XD
    IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By IcePrince_X

I saw and read the comic and said...FINALLY!

oh, well... I read some old X-force stuff with these guys and seeing them together is just the way to go. The kiss may mean a lot of things, they may not even end up after a few issues depends on how many angry fans will write them to kingdom come. Anyway, I am open minded with these guys ever since their overly close friendship during their hay days. What is important at the end of the day is for them to be happy and not hurt any other girl (or boy) with their relationship.

now, lets move on with Wolverine and Sabretooth... :-P

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    @pixelized said:
    so every male avenger hit on Monica?!  That's something I find kinda hard to believe. 
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pixelized

"Ant-Man and his dirty little feet"

ROFLMAO
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @White Mage said:
    "@pixelized said:
    so every male avenger hit on Monica?!  That's something I find kinda hard to believe.  "

LOL! Yeah... She can barely get a date with 'Brother' Voodoo in Divas ;)
    Calix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Calix
    @xerox-kitty: that however was after their bedroom bout. I think she likes the bed action not the date thing.

That girl got high standards for the role of her potential mate. with BP being her number one choice but he likes the weather witch so....
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xerox_kitty

Who can blame him?  Storm is a clasier lady, while Monica puts it about! ;)

Assman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Assman
    "Well this is nice to see.  Now maybe Marvel will actually have the courage to create a few gay characters who aren't B and C-listers.  Here's an idea: Cap coming back will also be a chance for Cap to come out.  That's right, Steve Rogers is gay.  Now that would be a courageous and awesome development."

Dude, it's been documented he's hetro lol he's had plenty of girlfriends and love interests.  Given the fact that Sharon Carter is the main focal point for him getting back, that would be out of left field and shock tactics for the sake of just shocking people.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zoom
    @White Mage said:
    "@pixelized said:
    so every male avenger hit on Monica?!  That's something I find kinda hard to believe.  "

No Caption Provided

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    @Zoom:  I think the person was trying to be funny, but this is absolutely forced.  And Monica looks like a tranny.  I abhor that art.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.