Follow

X-23

Character » X-23 appears in 2371 issues.

X-23 is a product of the Weapon X program, born from a damaged sample of Wolverine's DNA. She has recently aged up, being saved from the Vault.

Why do you like her?

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By akbogert

Disclaimer: the title is obviously loaded, as it presumes that you do like her. If you don't, that's fine, but this conversation isn't the place for saying so. Now, if you talk about things you like about her but also happen to mention things you don't like, that's fine, so long as it doesn't dovetail into a tangential off-topic discussion. Posts that simply discuss not liking her will be considered inane and immature trolling. I won't acknowledge them and I encourage everyone else to proceed likewise ^_^

Now, then. I have read through the entire Kyle/Yost X-Force run, X-23: Innocence Lost, X-23: Target X, and Liu's 21-issue series (also called X-23). I understand that hardly covers all her appearances (including her first one -- my copy of NYX is already on its way), but it covers enough, and origins, and that's established her as my favorite Marvel character (if not comics character in general, at least for the time being). But given that she has existed for quite a while now, and has been represented by a variety of different writers, we've seen many different facets of who X-23 is. Some might even argue there are several different X-23s altogether, as one writer "destroys" her and another "finally makes me care about her," and so on.

So, what do you like about Laura Kinney? What sets her apart in your mind from all the other healing factor characters (with or sans blades)? I have my own reasons, but before I share them I thought it'd be cool to hear from some of you since it's pretty clear there are some big fans but probably not all for the same reason.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    No Lie:   Because on X-Men:Evolution[yes the show]  She came out on one episode, and I thought she was a doode. If I'm not mistaken she wore a mask for the majority of the episode. The outfit she wore was awesome. I thought her story was dope. Yes a rip off of Logan, but different.  She didn't suddenly wake up not knowing anything. She was born, and raised to be a weapon. I loved seeing her take down so many characters on the show.   She wad so Bada$$, but then Logan takes her mask off... and she's a girl.  What?   Yes. It was like Samus all over again. Ever since then she's had my interest. I mean I never been a big fan of heroines.   So yeah  (+)
    ambival1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ambival1

The reasons for which X-23 is my favorite character not only in comics but in general (actually she shares this status with a similiar character - American Mcgee's Alice) I can describe in the following points:

1. Female character, but as serious and badass like the toughest male characters (like wolverine) - it's quite my fantasy, I love female powerful characters, definitely more than male characters with same traits. She is more like a mix of Nikita and Black Mamba from Kill Bill.

2. Psychological emphasis - Innocence Lost is about her training in Facility and her first killings. The story puts a strong emphasis on her tragedy (treating her like a weapon rather than a human being, all her suffering and, as the title says, total destruction of her childhood) and the whole dilemma of being a girl made to kill. The psychological part is well desrcibed by her self-injury, lack of parents's care (her mother wasn't allowed to show any care) and in relations with other characters (as depicted in nearly every issue). X-23 is definitely not a shallow character, there is so much depth in her.

3. Realistic and spy-based plots - The other important part of her stories is that realistic, spy-action vibe. Since she is a perfect killer (these aren't empty words - she uses all types of weapons, with pistols and rifles on top; she knows how to kill efficiently and without anyone's attention, she speaks other languages fluently, and of top of all she is ruthless to the point that it may be disturbing for a reader), her targets are quite realistic (drug barons, political leaders, mafia etc), the same is with their localisations. For me she is more a female version of Jason Bourne rather than Wolverine. The presence of UN and Shield as a comic version of CIA really gives a feeling of a serious Spy plot (X-Force is after all a Black Ops group)

4. Her morality - she is a good character, but incomparable to such characters like Captain America etc. She is a killer, so killing is often an only available option for her. She is capable of things other heroes cannot. This makes her, although still good, a dark and an unsure person (something like Dexter) and thus a very interesting character.

That is all I can say at the moment... actually ther is also one special point:

5. She is FREAKING HOT!!

Lightburst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lightburst

Its Weird why I like her so much I love the way she is honestly.

Considering how my track of heroes I like are like Hawkeye or Nightwing where they are super outgoing, cocky and leaders and mentors but Laura is kinda the opposite of them she new to the job reserved, calm, calculating, soft spoken, and very Intelligent.

And I myself have an affinity for female characters and dark hair also green eyes lol so she pretty much is the mix of everything I enjoy to look at, also I know I could trust her to finish the job even at the cost of a teammates life and I like that because its the TOTAL opposite of me who would go back for a friend.

Also I enjoy her background its very very extreme for most characters and I love it. I love the fact she has been trained to be a killer and isn't happy go lucky like so many are.

And lets be honest she will always be a killer and I love that she can't get away from it just like the "father" before her she will always kill and cant escape that her mind will always see kill as the first option and i hope no write tries to change that because that is one of the things that makes her special and separates her from so many others.

I have a lot of love for Laura that I keep going sorry if it looks like I was just rambling.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By akbogert

@Lightburst said:

I have a lot of love for Laura that I keep going sorry if it looks like I was just rambling.

No, that's fine. I'm planning to write some sort of blog/article regarding Laura within the next, oh, let's call it a month, and I really want to see what other fans -- the more passionate the better -- have to say. The more angles people hit, the better -- keeps me from having to create a new thread for every new question I think to ask about her ^_^

c2thaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By c2thaj

The origin.

I was lucky enough to start out with both of the 6 issue mini-series. (X-23, Target X)

Read those both in a single night. Couldn't put it down.

Franchise1590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Franchise1590

I think most of my reasons for liking her have already been covered so I'll just say she's the complete package of a female character who could breakout and become a huge star if given the chance.

She has instant credibility to be taken seriously: all you have to do is say she's the daughter of wolverine and no one will question it. An advantage of being related to that character.

She has a well defined powerset that could be done in any media type without much effort: HUGE advantage for crossover potential because of this.

Her powers made her very difficult to kill but she also has limitations so as to not appear unbeatable: another advantage because you never have to worry about her falling into the "Superman trap" of being so strong people lose interest. This also gives her an out to be hurt and to survive in many situations where casual people will call foul.

She has a very real and gritty story that alot of people could relate to her and her flaws: This would set her apart from many other female heroes who's biggest promblem is their relationship isn't absolutely without a issue to deal. This means little chance of melodrama from her, which means more people can take her serious.

I could go on for longer but I think this thread has enough walls of texts :)

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By akbogert

@Franchise1590 said:

I think most of my reasons for liking her have already been covered so I'll just say she's the complete package of a female character who could breakout and become a huge star if given the chance.

I could go on for longer but I think this thread has enough walls of texts :)

Like I said, by all means elaborate as much as possible. I live for walls of text.

And don't worry if someone "already covered" your reasons. I'm actually more interested in the aspects of Laura that multiple people are drawn to than the ones that only one person happens to mention.

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Target_X

@akbogert:

I've followed Laura since her inception pretty much. She has always been a character I relate to, which was probably largely due to my own teenage angst growing up. I just feel I relate, or related, to a lot of her early struggles to fit in as a person and that really endeared her to me. Her initial comic appearance wasn't what I had in mind, but thankfully that all started to be rectified and the lines made more clear through the years. She is--without a doubt-- my favorite and most cherished superhero and it shows in the extensive collection of Laura memorabilia I have. Some may call it overboard, or unhealthy, but sometimes things and characters just call to us and that is what Laura is to me.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lykopis

A human cultivated to be a killing machine working her way into society, grappling with emotions she was taught to ignore.

Pretty cool.

Plus, she has black hair.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Teh Claws

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Crimsonlord53

She,s broken and watching her struggle to become more then she was made to be is interesting to witness.

She,s also every thing wolverine was before he was made mainstream and has parts in every marvel title.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By akbogert

@Crimsonlord53 said:

She,s also every thing wolverine was before he was made mainstream and has parts in every marvel title.

I'm not sure what you're saying; that Wolverine has changed to become less interesting, or that part of what you like about X-23 is that she isn't overused?

Which really brings me back to a point I was kind of hoping more people would address: "What sets her apart in your mind from all the other healing factor characters (with or sans blades)?" Some of your answers have already addressed that in a roundabout way, but I'd like some more discrete replies on that in particular, just because so many Laura haters tend to just say she's the same as Wolverine. Let's discount the only difference detractors mention (she's a she). How's X-23 different from X?

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crimsonlord53
    What sets her apart in your mind from all the other healing factor characters

I like the fact that she can be killed with enough trauma her lack of a full adamantium bonded skeleton means that even with her healing factor she has to be aware of just how much she can take. I just wish her costume showed that a lot better then she has being depicted.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Yung ANcient One

To me what sets her apart from other healing factor having characters is that she{XP} is struggling to not be a killer. To be a normal human being{with super powers.} Plus to me her future is still a mystery. (+)

TheReaper111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheReaper111

shes like wolverine but interesting

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By akbogert

@TheReaper111: what about her is interesting to you?

FourthDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By FourthDeity

@ambival1 said:

The reasons for which X-23 is my favorite character not only in comics but in general (actually she shares this status with a similiar character - American Mcgee's Alice) I can describe in the following points:

1. Female character, but as serious and badass like the toughest male characters (like wolverine) - it's quite my fantasy, I love female powerful characters, definitely more than male characters with same traits. She is more like a mix of Nikita and Black Mamba from Kill Bill.

2. Psychological emphasis - Innocence Lost is about her training in Facility and her first killings. The story puts a strong emphasis on her tragedy (treating her like a weapon rather than a human being, all her suffering and, as the title says, total destruction of her childhood) and the whole dilemma of being a girl made to kill. The psychological part is well desrcibed by her self-injury, lack of parents's care (her mother wasn't allowed to show any care) and in relations with other characters (as depicted in nearly every issue). X-23 is definitely not a shallow character, there is so much depth in her.

3. Realistic and spy-based plots - The other important part of her stories is that realistic, spy-action vibe. Since she is a perfect killer (these aren't empty words - she uses all types of weapons, with pistols and rifles on top; she knows how to kill efficiently and without anyone's attention, she speaks other languages fluently, and of top of all she is ruthless to the point that it may be disturbing for a reader), her targets are quite realistic (drug barons, political leaders, mafia etc), the same is with their localisations. For me she is more a female version of Jason Bourne rather than Wolverine. The presence of UN and Shield as a comic version of CIA really gives a feeling of a serious Spy plot (X-Force is after all a Black Ops group)

4. Her morality - she is a good character, but incomparable to such characters like Captain America etc. She is a killer, so killing is often an only available option for her. She is capable of things other heroes cannot. This makes her, although still good, a dark and an unsure person (something like Dexter) and thus a very interesting character.

5. She is FREAKING HOT!!

I agree with pretty much all of this.I tend to call good looking girls beautiful but I suppose hot could work.

Her eyes are also absolutely stunning. <3

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By animehunter

@FourthDeity said:

@ambival1 said:

5. She is FREAKING HOT!!

I agree with pretty much all of this.I tend to call good looking girls beautiful but I suppose hot could work.

^this

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By akbogert

@FourthDeity said:

It's a bit sad how frequently artists mess them up, considering they're a major identifier.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.