Follow

X-23

Character » X-23 appears in 2383 issues.

X-23 is a product of the Weapon X program, born from a damaged sample of Wolverine's DNA. She has recently aged up, being saved from the Vault.

Unscripted: X-23

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

I was told this series was not good.... 
    I have to pick this up now!

Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Benzo

I thought this issue  was quite emotional  and moving , in my opinion, but it was still a great issue though.  
    I also loved the fact that wolverine appeared in this issue as well. 
    P.S can there be a x-factor review in future, that title is so amazing :D !!!!, (it's a lot better than some other X-titles ,that are out right now!!!) 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

I've rambled about this a little bit already.  I really liked the 'lost little girl in the psychich world' art, but the rest was nothing special.  In fact, I'd go so far to say it was below par for comic books of modern day quality.  As for the story itself... it went nowhere, fast. 

Jubilee was brought in for a pointless cameo.  Her presence was an excuse to bring Logan (and therefore Laura) to New York.  However, the whole reason she asked them to go to New York was immediately forgotten.  What happened to the disappearing ex-mutants???  Why would Jubilee fall back on her old mentor after years of surviving on her own, without powers?  It didn't make sense. 

As for Gamesmaster... he was a pointless villain when he kidnapped X-Force & the New Warriors.  Now he's trying to come on to X-23 because she experiences pain like no-one else on Earth?  It's an emo kid's dream come true, but not mine.  It's a weak-assed villain thrown in for no reason other to cover a lot of old ground.  His 'appearance' didn't even have any connection to the 'reason' X-23 & Wolverine were in New York. 

It was obvious this was written by a former NYX writer.  It was more about reminding readers of X-23's first appearance, and that the kids from NYX still exist.  But that origin is often over-looked when the character is written by her creators for a reason.    

The plot was tiresome.  It was too distracted that it didn't go anywhere; it felt like the first part of a mini series, not a one-shot.  It didn't establish anything new, make any revelations, or push the character in ways that haven't been seen before...  So ultimately, this is just another X-Men related one-shot that will be quickly forgotten.

I did like the characterisation.  There's no doubting that it was full of character.  Sadly, character isn't enough to justify the cover price, so I was extremely disappointed after reading this.

MissPower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MissPower
    @xerox-kitty: agreed, this issue a quite a disappointment :(, it was really strange that they thrown gamemaster into the mix too..... but still it was nice to see the NYX gang again though :) 

@Benzo: I also agree with you too benzo, I will also love to see a x-factor review as well :D 
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @sora_thekey said:
    " I was told this series was not good.... I have to pick this up now! "
    It's actually just a one-shot. :)
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Great review. But isn't that what made Marvel so great when they first started out, that they hit those real life issues that normal people deal with every day?

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Illyana Rasputin said:
    " @sora_thekey said:
    " I was told this series was not good.... I have to pick this up now! "
    It's actually just a one-shot. :) "

That's what I meant, my bad!
    fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By fbdarkangel

Can't wait to buy my copy!

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I seem to remember the X-Men having a member on the team who was at a time a member of a mutant prostitution club. I think she fought with Paige, Husk, for the affections of Warren Worthington. Though after House of M, she lost her powers.

The art does look very well done in this comic.

Just speaking from a genetic standpoint. Seeing how X-23 was created using Logan's genes. A man only has one X Chromosome to pass on. They would of needed another X Chromosome donor to of made a girl. She's not really a clone in the strictest sense. She actually does more qualify as a daughter. Though it's been a while since I studied genetics, and I'm unsure about the viability of using the same X Chromosome twice.

What happened to Laura vaguely makes me think a bit about what Emma went through when she left her family to be on her own. Though not nearly with that same level of trauma. It was also Emma's choice. Laura didn't have much of one. Emma went to the Hellfire Club and through deal, debauchery, and dagger worked her way to the top. That's why I always found it a little surprising how strongly and cruel Emma was to Laura at first. I would think that Emma could be guide to Laura in many things. Laura may of been forced into murdering her 'mother', but Emma purposely murdered her sister out of revenge for the death of one of her students.
    I do like this one scene I remember of Emma actually saving Laura from an assassin's bullet. I think it was in New X-Men. She wiped the would-be killer's mind of every happy memory and left her with only trauma. I think Emma told her she couldn't get those memories back unless the killer took out whoever hired her.

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

It was interesting to delve into Laura's psyche, and to see her fragmented, child-like perception of reality. The story was mediocre, but it shed more light on who she is as an individual. It reminded me of the scene in X-23: Innocence Lost, when Laura's mother, Dr. Sarah Kinney, read her Pinocchio. Good read, but not spectacular. I agree with Babs that X-23's apparel has been over-sexed at times, considering her age. It belies who her character is, but it does work to her advantage, obviously. I imagined that it was somewhat influenced by her cousin Megan in X-23: Target X. There is a scene in that when Laura's aunt questions her choice of clothing, and Laura taciturnly affirms that she is pleased with her selection from Megan's closet.  Regarding the rooftop scene, that definitely does not need to be viewed by children, or the emotionally-disturbed for that matter. I did think that it was a very powerful testament to her character. Overall, it was a lukewarm effort, but I did like the climax. Keep up the great reviews!

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm lazy so im just going to copy over my odd and even more strangely formatted opinion over
    from elsewhere.

I liked it. I think I got where it was coming from.
    Noting it wasnt just X-23's book, but also Majorie
    Liu's (whom i have to give props to out of hometown 
    pride) as part of the Women Of Marvel celebration 
    showcasing not only Marvels female characters, 
    but both the prolific and up and coming female 
    talent in the industry (this was much akin to Girl
    Comics for anyone whose read it and wondering, 
    stylewise). Bonus as well that as part of that celebration
    X-23 was one of the first to get her own book, while staring 
    in several other books that are currently ongoing as it is,
    pretty good popularity id say, and affirmation  that she will
    continue to thrive. This wasnt the usual X-23 book whereas there
    is alot of action, but im sure we wont see any lack of that with her
    in X-Force anyways, not with Yost around, and for that matter with 
    Yost and Craig, her creative father becoming bigger in the X-Verse, 
    that we will see any shortage of her either. Back to this issue the 
    introspective into her mind was a nice change of pace, and well done
    however this may come off being as it was done by a female, who could only
    have a better relation to Laura than a male writer could logically, and it shows.
    It helped to clarify where she is at in this moment in time, character wise, and
    directly from her perspective so its solid as well. I also liked the art, especially the 
    bits refereed to as " crayonish " as they we're meant to highlight somewhat of a different 
    view from a different plane, one comprised mainly of sense and emotion, and the picture
    it builds, versus the dull brown world that is given by our eyesight. I'm a big fan of that 
    eclectic approach, and maybe its just me. I dont think i would want to see this on a permanent
    basis, but another mini would be good, more action based like Target X though. I could see Liu
    writing again, we'll see though as it seems she has her hands pretty full, especially with Black Widow.
    id suggest the read, especially for anyone looking for something that isnt par the course. 

all that, and i love the taste of the Forrest Green crayons more than any other in the whole box.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By pixelized
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    " I seem to remember the X-Men having a member on the team who was at a time a member of a mutant prostitution club. I think she fought with Paige, Husk, for the affections of Warren Worthington. Though after House of M, she lost her powers.

Stacy X! She worked in a brothel.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @pixelized: 
    Yeah, that was her name. She used her powers and didn't have sex, but continued her work even while living with the X-Men. When she lost her powers. I think she started to actually physically start prostituting herself after that. 

I know she became Ripcord and began being a hero again, but I wonder what became of her and if she would get her powers back once Hope reverses things.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FoxxFireArt: she died in New Warriors.
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Yung ANcient One

i understand being Bold... Look at Sentry... A junkie... which was brilliant... even tho i made up a super hero what was a ex junkie... like 2 years ago... *pause* Long story...

but X23 a prostitute... common... WHy cant she jus be a criminal stealing food...

II. Im so tired of Red Black and White...

for the love of Peanut butter... USe BLUE... Blue Black and WHite... Blue's a awesome color

III. Theres a scarcity of food on Utopia... and u want to bring in more mouths  G Mane

IV. Hopefully the parent wont let their child read a book that says PArential Advisory... or hopefully the comic book owner wont sell a Parental Advisory Comic to someone who isnt 18... without an i.d.

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By k2

To me it seemed like half this interview was them commenting on how this comic is too heavy for children. Yeah, I got it after the first mention. Especially the girl in the interview (Babs, was it?)...she seemed very hung up on stating her opinion that X-23 is oversexed and she doesn't like it. Yeah, got that, one mention is also enough; it's part of who the character is, as a few of you have mentioned. I wish they had discussed more of the book's meanings, interpreted stuff a little more (I understand they can't do spoilers, but there are themes in the book that could be a little deeper discussed, as we have been doing on the forums); also I found it strange that they didn't at least google Gamesmaster. I guess they were going for the first-time-reader POV....but it's not true that he hasn't appeared before. First thing I did was check him out, and he's actually an X-villain that appeared a few times in the X-men's history. 

I give this review a 3/5.  oh wait....did I just review their review? o.O

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yung ANcient One: 
     IV. Something i noticed with X-23. Alot of her fans are young girls who came into her character
    via the cartoons. Usually they watched it with dad who liked Wolverine. I used to take alot of questions
    from parents on another site about the character and her comics as they we're curious for their kids sake
    (young ones). I personally think they should come out with an X-23 comic thats more toned to the cartoon,
    like a Marvel Adventures type book (they can keep the adult stuff as well for me, lol). I think theirs a strong enough fanbase to warrant it.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pixelized

Heeeeey, Underage Prostitute, Boom Boom did it first, just saying.

Theansweris42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Theansweris42

Wow, you guys looked awkward.  

Now I have to find this issue to see what it was.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#20  Edited By No_Name_
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Sounds like a very "Girl Interrupted" issue.  

great talk guys, Babs loved your jacket! just saying... lol@Babs:

Avatar image for the_cracked_genome
    The Cracked Genome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CATMANEXE:
    I was introduced to Marvel superheroes through cartoons (X-Men and Spider-Man) I didn't even find a comicbook shop until I was in High School (there aren't that meny in England) and I have to admit I was shocked at how mature and violent they were. 

Thats when I realised how warped it is to have a character who is mostly just a berserker killer with razor-sharp claws and a healing-factor in a show where he rarely, if ever, gets injured and who when he swings his claws at people only destroys their weapons. 

How would you even have X-23 in a Marvel Adventures series without taking away what makes her great? Give her a sidekick? Make it like Mary-Jane Loves Spider-Man?
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Cracked Genome: 
    i thought the same point, but easily actually. have her the same toned down version that was
    in X-Men Evo or WATX animated is all. it worked there, and thats the version those younger girls
    admire and know anyways. kind of Wolverine. he works in animated kids shows, has for years. but he doesnt smoke, get drunk in cut out people intestines, much less his in the cartoons either. lol..
    she really does have that young fanbase like i said. i felt kind of bad telling parents that they shouldnt get the comics for their daughters until they were older. thats why i wish they would introduce a more friendly version, outside of the normal one of course.
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @xerox-kitty: Woah woah woah, definitely not a weak-assed villain. But it's weird as hell that he shows up now. The last time we saw Gamesmaster Magneto's clone was still running around, so why is such a supposedly dangerous character introduced in a one-shot? Stumped on that one.  
    Avatar image for the_cracked_genome
    The Cracked Genome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Babs:
    Was she really doing that though? I thought it was more about her proving that she's the one in control of her life... even if she was only proving it to herself. That was the impression I got from her thoughts before she... did that.

LauraXKinney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LauraXKinney

well some kids can take and understand this kind of story like my sister she is only 12 and understands that comic books are not real and all that, and at the same time enjoy the story and know how heavy this character is. like meshe is a fan of x-23 but not as much as me. she was ordering me to buy it when i tolled her about this book.   =)
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#27  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @kingfrogger666 said:
    " Is it just me or is the Marvel universe full of tortured characters "
    It's definitely not you... Just ask Speedball ;p
    LauraX23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LauraX23

I need to read this.
    VezVonDOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By VezVonDOOM

Enjoyed the issue.

courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By courtney12490
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    " I seem to remember the X-Men having a member on the team who was at a time a member of a mutant prostitution club. I think she fought with Paige, Husk, for the affections of Warren Worthington. Though after House of M, she lost her powers.

The art does look very well done in this comic.

Just speaking from a genetic standpoint. Seeing how X-23 was created using Logan's genes. A man only has one X Chromosome to pass on. They would of needed another X Chromosome donor to of made a girl. She's not really a clone in the strictest sense. She actually does more qualify as a daughter. Though it's been a while since I studied genetics, and I'm unsure about the viability of using the same X Chromosome twice.

What happened to Laura vaguely makes me think a bit about what Emma went through when she left her family to be on her own. Though not nearly with that same level of trauma. It was also Emma's choice. Laura didn't have much of one. Emma went to the Hellfire Club and through deal, debauchery, and dagger worked her way to the top. That's why I always found it a little surprising how strongly and cruel Emma was to Laura at first. I would think that Emma could be guide to Laura in many things. Laura may of been forced into murdering her 'mother', but Emma purposely murdered her sister out of revenge for the death of one of her students.
    I do like this one scene I remember of Emma actually saving Laura from an assassin's bullet. I think it was in New X-Men. She wiped the would-be killer's mind of every happy memory and left her with only trauma. I think Emma told her she couldn't get those memories back unless the killer took out whoever hired her. "
    Stacy X
    willi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By willi

A really good issue. To read over and over...I'm waiting for September now !
    Logan X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Logan X

Gamesmaster was the leader of the Upstarts and was in the X-Force/New Warriors crossover: Child's Play.

Treyvoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Treyvoni
    @FoxxFireArt said:

If you don't know genetics, it's easy enough to look it up.

It is possible to use the same X-chromosome twice because of barr bodies. This is: the body only uses 1 x chromosome, and then winds up and shuts down the other x chromosome in that cell. This is done at random and each cell has a fifty fifty chance of picking one x chromosome over the other x chromosome. 

This is also why women are less likely to get x linked genetic diseases (because if half of their expressed x chromosomes have the disease and half of them do not, the effect (depending on the disease) is marginalized - why half? Because that's the average over the entire body since each cell has a fifty fifty chance). And why it is possible to live with if only one x chromosome is given by the parents (not being XX or XY but being X0 or X_ depending on the notation) 

Barr bodies are also why calico cats have their multicolored fur - the genes for the pigment of their fur is on the x chromosome, so depending on which one is expressed where determines what color the fur in that area will be. Did you know that if you cloned a calico cat, the pattern of blotches of fur on the clone would differ from their progenitor's fur colors? That's because of chance and barr bodies.
    X-23_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By X-23_2513

Going to reed this!!!!!
    newmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By newmoon

the video wont load how can i comment now T.T help?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.