Follow

    X-23

    Character » X-23 appears in 2256 issues.

    X-23 is a product of the Weapon X program, born from a damaged sample of Wolverine's DNA. Since she could walk, she was trained to kill Wolverine, but instead she joined the X-Men, realized she was his biological daughter, and eventually, his successor.

    Laura's Past

    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

    2924

    Forum Posts

    69898

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 17

    User Lists: 0

    #1  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

    There seems to be some confusion over X-23's past as a prostitute on the streets of New York City. Some believe that she specialized in clients that enjoyed being "cut", but never performed sexual acts with them. Others believe she actually had intercourse with her clients. What information do you have to clarify this? Does it matter?

    Avatar image for xerox_kitty
    xerox_kitty

    17342

    Forum Posts

    275139

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 15

    User Lists: 22

    #2  Edited By xerox_kitty

    Her first appearance, the pimp was angry with her because she'd been cutting herself again & therefore scared clients away.  To me that indicates she was meant to be used for sex.  The unexpected appearance of her claws scared off the clients.  No clients = no money = an angry pimp.

     

    I think people prefer the idea of her being some sort of specialised for S&M clients, because it means she didn't actually have under-age sex.  But either way it's pretty horrendous for anyone, of any age to be trapped in the sex trade.

    Avatar image for alaric
    Alaric

    119

    Forum Posts

    256

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #3  Edited By Alaric

    In the X-23 oneshot she recently had she herself said she was no longer in prostitution or as she put it "no money for sex". So yeah, I do think she did more than just specialize on clients who she cut but as she put it, it was her only way to survive.

    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

    2924

    Forum Posts

    69898

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 17

    User Lists: 0

    #4  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "

    Her first appearance, the pimp was angry with her because she'd been cutting herself again & therefore scared clients away.  To me that indicates she was meant to be used for sex.  The unexpected appearance of her claws scared off the clients.  No clients = no money = an angry pimp.

     

    I think people prefer the idea of her being some sort of specialised for S&M clients, because it means she didn't actually have under-age sex.  But either way it's pretty horrendous for anyone, of any age to be trapped in the sex trade.

    "
    I agree. Either way, it's horribly tragic.
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

    2924

    Forum Posts

    69898

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 17

    User Lists: 0

    #5  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @Alaric said:

    " In the X-23 oneshot she recently had she herself said she was no longer in prostitution or as she put it "no money for sex". So yeah, I do think she did more than just specialize on clients who she cut but as she put it, it was her only way to survive. "

    That just makes her back story even more disheartening. I read the recent one-shot, and told a friend that she actually performed sex with these men, but she was adamant that Laura would not. I think it disturbs her too much to accept.
    Avatar image for alaric
    Alaric

    119

    Forum Posts

    256

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #6  Edited By Alaric

    I think it give her depth as a character. One of the many reasons I'm a fan. lol

    Avatar image for mantaray
    Mantaray

    21

    Forum Posts

    2

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #7  Edited By Mantaray
    @Alaric:
    What I think is interesting is how her taste in dressing reflects influence is still retained from that past lifestyle. In one of the Pixie Series (Pixie Strikes Back?) they go see a Dazzler concert. She's completely dressed as a prostitute. There's the scene somewhere else (X-23: Target X ?) where someone askes her, "Are you sure you want to dress like that?" And she's basically in streetwalker clothes. She's so hardened as a fighter, it goes so well with her living on the streets and becoming hard towards people and having to do things that take a mental seperation to carry out. I think all the abuse she suffered at The Facility goes well in adding to that ability to almost be sociopathic/dissociative. She says she was punished when she succeeded, and was punished when she failed, and that Rice lied. She just basically learned not to trust, and harm was expected to follow anything she did
     
     

    . What a character Kyle and Yost created. I would really hope Marjorie Liu explores her past in bits and hints of X-23's behaviors. Maybe have her trying to express herself to Hellion and what her past has done to her outlook in life. 
     
    I like her survival attitude. Like the intro to the recent one-shot where she says about The Facility trying to creat another male Weapon X, "Instead they got me, and I did just fine." I thought it was further sharpened by Kiden Nixon's (both NYX series) survival attitude.
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

    2924

    Forum Posts

    69898

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 17

    User Lists: 0

    #8  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @Alaric said:
    "I think it give her depth as a character. One of the many reasons I'm a fan. lol "

    Me, too.
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

    2924

    Forum Posts

    69898

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 17

    User Lists: 0

    #9  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @Mantaray said:
    "@Alaric:
    What I think is interesting is how her taste in dressing reflects influence is still retained from that past lifestyle. In one of the Pixie Series (Pixie Strikes Back?) they go see a Dazzler concert. She's completely dressed as a prostitute. There's the scene somewhere else (X-23: Target X ?) where someone askes her, "Are you sure you want to dress like that?" And she's basically in streetwalker clothes. She's so hardened as a fighter, it goes so well with her living on the streets and becoming hard towards people and having to do things that take a mental seperation to carry out. I think all the abuse she suffered at The Facility goes well in adding to that ability to almost be sociopathic/dissociative. She says she was punished when she succeeded, and was punished when she failed, and that Rice lied. She just basically learned not to trust, and harm was expected to follow anything she did
     
     
    . What a character Kyle and Yost created. I would really hope Marjorie Liu explores her past in bits and hints of X-23's behaviors. Maybe have her trying to express herself to Hellion and what her past has done to her outlook in life.  I like her survival attitude. Like the intro to the recent one-shot where she says about The Facility trying to creat another male Weapon X, "Instead they got me, and I did just fine." I thought it was further sharpened by Kiden Nixon's (both NYX series) survival attitude. "

    I remember when Laura tried on some of her cousin's more risque clothing in "Target X", and her aunt asked if she really wanted to wear her wardrobe choice out in public, and Laura firmly and briefly stated that yes, she did. This leads me to believe that she likes to dress the way she does. On another note, it is also useful for her on missions, as she can use her feminine wiles to her advantage. Laura is such a complex character. I really love her, a lot.  
    Avatar image for mxl23
    mxl23

    7

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #10  Edited By mxl23

    I remember the first time I read about Laura was in one of my brother's comics that I stole out of her room. I was curious about her because of her claws, and from then on try to search and buy every single comic issue that she has been in. I do think that the time she spent with Zebra Daddy definitely influenced her style of clothing as seen in Target X and other issues.@Alaric said:

    I think it give her depth as a character. One of the many reasons I'm a fan. lol

    , despite the fact that I am a complete novice to the comic book universe , her complexity as a character drew me in and I will forever be her fan.:-)

    Avatar image for kingofmadcows
    KingofMadCows

    349

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #11  Edited By KingofMadCows

    I think it would be naive to assume that the Facility hadn't already trained X-23 to use sex as a strategy to employ on her missions.

    Avatar image for mxl23
    mxl23

    7

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #12  Edited By mxl23

    Funny coincidence, I have often thought that may have been the case as well. The Facility would have done anything to exploit Laura for their own personal gain, so sex wouldn't have been an exception.

    Avatar image for crimsonlord53
    Crimsonlord53

    1546

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #13  Edited By Crimsonlord53

    How twisted do you have to be to train a child to use sex as a mean's to an end.

    Avatar image for fourthdeity
    FourthDeity

    2244

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 3

    #14  Edited By FourthDeity

    I think I read somewhere she said "I had to pleasure Men that liked pain"

    Avatar image for oldmanjoe
    OldManJoe

    94

    Forum Posts

    67

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 2

    User Lists: 0

    #15  Edited By OldManJoe

    Her creators were already pushing the limits of what they could do to a character, even a comic book character, as the age of 10. Between all the physical and mental abouse she was put through, I think adding sexual abouse would have taken things too far. It still most likely happened, but it was a good thing they didn't not bring it up.

    Avatar image for thegremlin
    TheGremlin

    58

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #16  Edited By TheGremlin

    It happened. From a purely professional (don't really like using a good word like that for what they did to her but...) point of view if you're trying to train a killing machine like Laura sex would definately be a good idea. Women especially attractive women have an automatic advantage over men. If you get into some of the more messed up series out there they touch on this kind of thing a lot. Yeah it happened. I strongly believe she was both sexually abused and had sex for money. It's horrible but they were thinking of her as a tool not a person.

    Oh and heres a biological question.

    Would her cherry stay popped due to her healing powers?

    Avatar image for zamiel
    Zamiel

    6

    Forum Posts

    1

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #17  Edited By Zamiel

    @FourthDeity said:

    I think I read somewhere she said "I had to pleasure Men that liked pain"

    She also mentioned sex in the same panel.

    No Caption Provided

    She also seemed unimpressed with Hercules' "package". Implying that she has had some experience with male genital and has seen much better. lol

    No Caption Provided

    :

    Avatar image for lykopis
    lykopis

    10845

    Forum Posts

    40100

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #18  Edited By lykopis

    @xerox_kitty said:

    Her first appearance, the pimp was angry with her because she'd been cutting herself again & therefore scared clients away. To me that indicates she was meant to be used for sex. The unexpected appearance of her claws scared off the clients. No clients = no money = an angry pimp.

    I think people prefer the idea of her being some sort of specialised for S&M clients, because it means she didn't actually have under-age sex. But either way it's pretty horrendous for anyone, of any age to be trapped in the sex trade.

    Which is something I suspect the editorial staff had been aware of and in turn instructed Liu avoid expanding on it while writing X-23's solo series. Her past is just alluded to now and so the reader can extrapolate whatever they prefer although anyone who has read anything and everything to do with Laura knows better.

    I think its unfortunate this direction was taken because although some prefer escapism in their comic-fare, Laura's character was created and presented as a very tragic figure. Having her hang out with teenagers (outside of my one of my fave stories NYX) just regresses X-23 to yet another sullen and misunderstood child/woman.

    @KingofMadCows said:

    I think it would be naive to assume that the Facility hadn't already trained X-23 to use sex as a strategy to employ on her missions.

    Exactly. There can be no doubt there.

    As for her chosen style of dress, I mark that up to comfort and preference on her part. Being in the Facility, she was required to take on different styles for missions and many were in the guise of a sweet, innocent girl (and not just to kill a senator, his family and everyone else in the room.)

    Laura has seen the ugliness of humanity, over and over since the moment she was born. Having that past define her as a human being is a struggle I am fascinated with and I can only hope the next writer who takes on this character will be allowed to explore her past without editorial restriction (ie censorship.)

    My toonie on the subject. :)

    Avatar image for kingofmadcows
    KingofMadCows

    349

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #19  Edited By KingofMadCows

    @lykopis said:

    @KingofMadCows said:

    I think it would be naive to assume that the Facility hadn't already trained X-23 to use sex as a strategy to employ on her missions.

    Exactly. There can be no doubt there.

    As for her chosen style of dress, I mark that up to comfort and preference on her part. Being in the Facility, she was required to take on different styles for missions and many were in the guise of a sweet, innocent girl (and not just to kill a senator, his family and everyone else in the room.)

    Laura has seen the ugliness of humanity, over and over since the moment she was born. Having that past define her as a human being is a struggle I am fascinated with and I can only hope the next writer who takes on this character will be allowed to explore her past without editorial restriction (ie censorship.)

    My toonie on the subject. :)

    And that's why I really hope that next person who writes her is a big fan of "Blade Runner." X-23 has a lot in common with the Replicants in that movie when you think about it. They were made to be weapons/tools. They rebelled against their creators. They are hunted by their creators. They were programmed to emulate humans but since they have little personal experience, they don't have a very good understanding of their own feelings and emotions. They simply haven't had an opportunity to simply live.

    Despite their deficiencies, they are also better than their creators in many ways, being stronger, faster, and smarter. They've begun to learn that they have the potential to surpass humans in such qualities as compassion and mercy. They're on a journey to discover what it means to be human, whether they should be human or something else entirely, and find a purpose far beyond what they were made for.

    Avatar image for lykopis
    lykopis

    10845

    Forum Posts

    40100

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #20  Edited By lykopis

    @KingofMadCows: That is a fantastic comparison! Nice rundown. :)

    Avatar image for applesauce92
    AppleSauce92

    9

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    She should have just went feral on her pimp & sliced him to pieces.

    Avatar image for kairan1979
    Kairan1979

    32374

    Forum Posts

    3477

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 1

    User Lists: 18

    #22  Edited By Kairan1979
    Avatar image for ubungqingili
    ubungqingili

    135

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    yes, she is a prostitute and had sex I wonder will they add this to the movies with an older Laura.

    This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

    Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

    Comment and Save

    Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.