Follow

X-23

Character » X-23 appears in 2371 issues.

X-23 is a product of the Weapon X program, born from a damaged sample of Wolverine's DNA. She has recently aged up, being saved from the Vault.

Her healing factor weakened?

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EnSabahNurX

SPOILERS

In avengers academy #25 Pym says laura's healing factor is't as strong as wolverine's, but i thought it was stated that her's was superior or at least equal in power. Seriously Gage needs to do his research and learn to write x-23 to at least a decent degree otherwise don't have her in the book at all.(she really seems to only be in it because she is more recognizable to the mainstream)

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

From following Gage on Twitter, I can confirm that he reads a huge amount of comics featuring characters that he's going to write. He also asks fans which titles they think he should focus on.

So a human being managed to get one little detail wrong. Mea Culpa, already. He does a lot of good work. You just don't like the fact that X-23 is in it, so stop buying it.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By SoA

@EnSabahNurX: in x-force she fell into molten metal and was healing pretty quickly , and in a fight with kimura , who chainsawed her arm off , she went at least a hour without it fighting soldiers , kimura , and exiting a burning building, when she got her arm she seemed to pop it back on, how is that not on par with wolverine's healing factor?

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4  Edited By x_29

@EnSabahNurX: Wrong. Her healing factor is weaker. For example, if she gets hit with a consecutive blast, she may not recover so easily compared to wolverine. Her healing factor can go faster then that of Wolverine's due to the lack of Adamantium in her body, but since she is so young it fluctuates to the point that it becomes slower more often then faster.

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k2

@xerox_kitty said:

From following Gage on Twitter, I can confirm that he reads a huge amount of comics featuring characters that he's going to write. He also asks fans which titles they think he should focus on.

So a human being managed to get one little detail wrong. Mea Culpa, already. He does a lot of good work. You just don't like the fact that X-23 is in it, so stop buying it.

No, this was Gage not writing X-23 correctly yet again. It's been established many times that Laura's healing factor is superior to Logan's. It's even been STATED, in the Innocence Lost series. It is superior because she does not have Adamantium coating her entire skeleton, only her claws. If Gage managed to get that wrong, it's not a little detail.

I say 'yet again' because her introduction issue was so sadly incorrect. She had so much dialogue...not at all in-character.

It doesn't do to excuse the writers by saying "a human managed to get one little detail wrong". These details have a large impact on the way the story reads...and the way it reads is the writer's job--what they are PAID to do. I doubt you would say the same of a doctor ignoring the fact that someone has a pre-established allergy to medication and then prescribing that medication and causing difficulty to the patient. No, that would be malpractice. Yes I know it's two different extremes--one is a story, the other is life and death; but my point is, a mistake is a mistake, and if you're doing a good job, you don't make mistakes like that. You carefully check your facts before publishing, and if you must have something going against the facts, there should be a REASON given.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By x_29

@k2: You are REALLY over-reacting.

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By k2

@x_29 said:

Hardly. This is a comic book forum, and as such you can expect to find in-depth discussion about comic book characters. I am giving my observations on the current events on comics. If you only want posts saying "I like everything in that issue, hooray!", don't come to a forum.

I am a fan of X-23, and am not happy when she is not written properly. I believe comics can be an art form, when written and drawn well. I love the work of Alan Moore and Greg Morrison--they really showed me what a comic can be. And then along came Kyle and Yost, with this wonderful character that I was very excited to read about. And now she's been handed off to writers who aren't even putting the effort into making sure she stays in character. It's simply disappointing.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By ReVamp

@k2: I agree about X being written incorrectly. But I have to say, I kinda think its a little thing, taken from the fact that perhaps its not simply that he got it wrong but that it was a direction that was wanted to be taken with the character.

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k2

@ReVamp said:

@k2: I agree about X being written incorrectly. But I have to say, I kinda think its a little thing, taken from the fact that perhaps its not simply that he got it wrong but that it was a direction that was wanted to be taken with the character.

Well, why was there no explanation then? "X-23's healing factor is weaker than Wolverine's because ____________________" is what I was looking for in the writing. I don't think getting her power wrong is a little thing...her power is about half of who she is. Isn't that kind of a huge part of the Marvel universe? Their super-powers?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By ReVamp

@k2: I didn't say it was done well, at all. That wasn't my intention, but maybe I'm just reaching out to the possibility that Marvel doesn't want her to be better than Wolverine in terms of Healing Factor.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By x_29

@k2: There is no need to get bitchy on me.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By John Valentine

@x_29 said:

She's correct, however.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @x_29 said:

Watch your language,please.
    x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By x_29

@John Valentine: Thats her opinion

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k2

@x_29 said:

I second the 'watch your language please' comment...and no, it's not just opinion. I've backed up my arguments with facts. I noticed that you did not offer a counter-argument on the matter, which suggests that perhaps you did not have one and instead turned to the typical step of criticizing the person you are arguing with.

Unfortunately, I am seeing a lot of this posting behavior on the board of late :-(

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

Here's an idea, then.

Go to Gage on Twitter and tell him this.

=P

weaponx25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By weaponx25
    @x_29: Okay... seriously, how many times has she personally stated that wolverine heals too slow she took on a sentinel infected with the phalanx virus by herself, got injured seriously and got up in like 10 seconds. While wolverines healing factor apparently varies throughout comics, once he took a bullet to the eye and was out for the entire battle between the x-men some students and sinister's men and another group which lasted like 12 pages.
    WeaponX619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WeaponX619

@k2 said:

@xerox_kitty said:

No, this was Gage not writing X-23 correctly yet again. It's been established many times that Laura's healing factor is superior to Logan's. It's even been STATED, in the Innocence Lost series. It is superior because she does not have Adamantium coating her entire skeleton, only her claws. If Gage managed to get that wrong, it's not a little detail.

I say 'yet again' because her introduction issue was so sadly incorrect. She had so much dialogue...not at all in-character.

It doesn't do to excuse the writers by saying "a human managed to get one little detail wrong". These details have a large impact on the way the story reads...and the way it reads is the writer's job--what they are PAID to do. I doubt you would say the same of a doctor ignoring the fact that someone has a pre-established allergy to medication and then prescribing that medication and causing difficulty to the patient. No, that would be malpractice. Yes I know it's two different extremes--one is a story, the other is life and death; but my point is, a mistake is a mistake, and if you're doing a good job, you don't make mistakes like that. You carefully check your facts before publishing, and if you must have something going against the facts, there should be a REASON given.

Whoooooooa you really just compared comics to doctors, you took that to the edge but your reasons are correct but he is human

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By x_29

@k2: First off, thanks for telling me something i already knew ( the watch your language in the forums comment.) Second of all, since you want to be like that, you are the type of fan that over-reacts to a single misstep and make it into a HUGE deal. Seriously take a chill pill. You say its a huge deal that a writer, who is new to writing the character, may have managed to get one tiny fact wrong, For me, I just see it as a little quirk. Its fair to feel odd about it, but to take it to the level your taking it IS over reacting.

volnaib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By volnaib

@x_29:I always do some research even while writing a fanfic. And I do not get money for that (and they, comic writers, do). Don't they have some kind of file on each and every of their characters in Marvel? If not, that would be just disappointing. They don't have one hundred plus characters in AvAcademy. Making some research before writing a new character won't hurt.

And that certainly is not a tiny fact, as was said before.

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By k2

@x_29 said:

@k2: First off, thanks for telling me something i already knew ( the watch your language in the forums comment.) Second of all, since you want to be like that, you are the type of fan that over-reacts to a single misstep and make it into a HUGE deal. Seriously take a chill pill. You say its a huge deal that a writer, who is new to writing the character, may have managed to get one tiny fact wrong, For me, I just see it as a little quirk. Its fair to feel odd about it, but to take it to the level your taking it IS over reacting.

How is it over-reacting to offer an easily understandable comparison? Again, I notice that your post focuses on criticizing me (the arguer) instead of directly discussing the topic. How can you justify that severely underwriting a power is a tiny fact? If you offer no justification that makes sense, then the obvious answer is it's not a tiny fact, but a fairly large problem. I already pointed out that if the writer had offered a reason for a 'power decline'-and it made sense with what X-23 has been doing lately--then that would have been just fine in terms of writing quality. To not offer reasoning is shoddy writing, where either the facts aren't being checked, or the writer is being lazy. It's very simple logic.

I don't see this as a story in development either (in which case reasoning might be offered later), as the particular scene did not seem to hold much importance, but was rather a filler for an action sequence. Unless the author does somehow offer a later explanation, then--as I mentioned before--it's shoddy writing.

@volnaib said:

@x_29:I always do some research even while writing a fanfic. And I do not get money for that (and they, comic writers, do). Don't they have some kind of file on each and every of their characters in Marvel? If not, that would be just disappointing. They don't have one hundred plus characters in AvAcademy. Making some research before writing a new character won't hurt.

And that certainly is not a tiny fact, as was said before.

I agree. It's no excuse to say 'oh, well, this is is first time writing the character'. How does a fan gain insight into a character? Reading previous publications of that character. How would a writer gain insight into a character? Reading previous publications of that character. In many other fields of employment, research is necessary before work on a project can begin. This holds true for almost any kind of job. Before working as a cashier, the employee needs to be trained to use the cash register. Before working in a construction site, the construction worker needs to know how to use the tools and machines. Before writing a comic, the writer must do some back-reading and gain a grasp of their characters--their history, their powers, their style of dialogue. The writers are paid and so this is a part of their job.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#22  Edited By xerox_kitty

@k2 said:

@xerox_kitty said:

I know her history. There's no need to lecture me on something I already know.

You've completely ignore the fact that I mentioned that Gage DOES do his homework & is is only a fallible human being. All the accusations of her speaking out of character are your personal opinion that I can not agree with. Having read X-23 since her first appearance, I've seen far worse characterisations of her in recent years. The prime examples being any of her appearances in Uncanny X-Men, the X-23 one-shot & it's subsequent on-going title.

Claims that someone who is paid to do a job should do it immaculately & perfect 100% of the time is laughable. No-one can possibly live up to that expectation, not even people who's careers make a difference in society or save lives. Editors are the ones who are paid to pick up on any continuity errors that accidentally slip into any stories. Yet no-one is baying for Bill Rosemann's blood because the writer is an easy target.

@x_29 said:

Well said!

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By x_29

@k2: It is over-reacting because of the fact that you are arguing that the writer stated in an issue that her healing factor was weaker but does not go into how weak it is, so it is possible it could not be that much and does not change how her HR works. The writer may think her HR is weaker than Wolverine's due to: because of her age, it fluctuates to the point that it becomes slower more often then faster and/or injuries like being hit with blasts of energy from a Nimrod can't be healed. Also if you do not want people to argue with your opinion respectively, then take your own advice and do not come to a forum.

rokusan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rokusan23

@k2 said:

@x_29 said:

I second the 'watch your language please' comment...and no, it's not just opinion. I've backed up my arguments with facts. I noticed that you did not offer a counter-argument on the matter, which suggests that perhaps you did not have one and instead turned to the typical step of criticizing the person you are arguing with.

Unfortunately, I am seeing a lot of this posting behavior on the board of late :-(

Why can't we just all get along like we did in middle school? :'(

(._. ) Okay, that was bad.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By x_29

@rokusan23: Because i am still still stuck in kindergarten.

rokusan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rokusan23

@x_29 said:

@rokusan23: Because i am still still stuck in kindergarten.

Everything you need to know about good manners is taught in Kindergarten... :) You must be extra nice.

volnaib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By volnaib

@xerox_kitty said:

Editors are the ones who are paid to pick up on any continuity errors that accidentally slip into any stories. Yet no-one is baying for Bill Rosemann's blood because the writer is an easy target.

Let's chew him out =) Okay, I'm kidding here.

If anyone is interested and haven't seen Yost's comment on Wolverine's and X-23's healing factors yet, there it is.

EDIT: and that.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By x_29

@rokusan23: Correction, everything you know about good manners comes from barney and Elmo.lol

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By k2

@volnaib said:

@xerox_kitty said:

Editors are the ones who are paid to pick up on any continuity errors that accidentally slip into any stories. Yet no-one is baying for Bill Rosemann's blood because the writer is an easy target.

Let's chew him out =) Okay, I'm kidding here.

If anyone is interested and haven't seen Yost's comment on Wolverine's and X-23's healing factors yet, there it is.

EDIT: and that.

That pretty much goes in line with what I was saying. Yes, it could have weakened over time...but where, when and why? It's a pretty major thing to just change without explanation. How strong is it now? Can she still re-attach limbs? In the X-23 series, she healed from a large explosion (scene with Daken). How does that compare with this new information?

It may be the editor's job to pick up on continuity errors...but why is the writer making them in the first place? If Gage does his homework, why are we having this discussion? I'm sorry, as a fan, I am not satisfied with how X-23 is being portrayed. I am allowed to have that view, and I have provided ample argument for it. I wanted to see who else agrees. I am surprised that people claim I am 'overreacting' because I post a contradictory viewpoint. Have I at one point lost my temper, or broken a board rule of conduct? Hardly. I used a simple, easy-to-understand example--everyone understands the concept of mistakes in medicine. I even put in a disclaimer that I was using a hyperbole to make a point. It's not over-reacting, it's logical argument. And if it's my fact-dissecting posts that people have trouble with, then why are they on comic book forums? We're here to discuss and dissect and ponder questions about characters, correct? If you disagree with my view, you don't have to share it. There is no need to resort to negative comments about me as a poster, since I have not expressed myself in an unprofessional demeanor.

Lastly, in a more topic-related point....I am in disagreement with the healing factor being a minor detail because its a power and therefore can affect a story line in the future. When they make smaller mistakes--miscoloring eyes, mispelling names, other stuff of that nature...that's not a big deal at all. Yes, human error is a factor, I'll give you all that...crap happens. And if this was just a cameo appearance I wouldn't even think twice about it. But I still say that this error falls in a more major range than the other kinds of errors I mentioned, and I am of the opinion it's just the tip of the iceberg.

rokusan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rokusan23

@x_29 said:

@rokusan23: Correction, everything you know about good manners comes from barney and Elmo.lol

I love Elmo... Barney? Kimura can have fun with him with a chainsaw.

healed1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By healed1337

Chris Gage admitted that the line about X-23's healing factor was a mistake. The editors should have caught it though.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=401753&page=4

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By jrock85

@xerox_kitty said:

I don't believe that he reads the essential ones, X-K. He's even on record saying that he's not familar with the events of Uncanny X-Men #350! I mean, how could you be writing Rogue and Gambit and not be familiar with arguably the most important story arc concerning their relationship? I'll cut him some slack, considering that writing three titles is very time consuming and he probably doesn't have a lot of time to do extensive research. With the exception of the healing factor thing, I think he's done a good job with Laura; I'm not encouraged by his first two issues of Legacy, though.

TheReaper111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheReaper111

who cares? shes getting her own book back anyway, just read that

TheReaper111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheReaper111

it says shes getting her book back on the back of that circle of four book

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By x_29

@TheReaper111: no thats the last issue of her series.

Soulstealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Soulstealer

@x_29 said:

@k2: It is over-reacting because of the fact that you are arguing that the writer stated in an issue that her healing factor was weaker but does not go into how weak it is, so it is possible it could not be that much and does not change how her HR works. The writer may think her HR is weaker than Wolverine's due to: because of her age, it fluctuates to the point that it becomes slower more often then faster and/or injuries like being hit with blasts of energy from a Nimrod can't be healed. Also if you do not want people to argue with your opinion respectively, then take your own advice and do not come to a forum.

Personally I just thought of it as a mistake with durability being replaced with healing factor. Simple as that. But again even if it wasn't it's not really a big deal in my opinion when a writer is writing a character for the first time and you're putting what Laura heals from against wolvie and his sometimes utter insanity.

.@xerox_kitty: Couldn't agree more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.