No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Director Sam Raimi discusses his plans for the upcoming film

Writer/Producer/Director Sam Raimi is very good at creating franchises; probably because he has a pretty good eye for taking elements of pop-culture and turning them into successful films. This may be why it makes so much sense that Raimi will be behind the World of Warcraft movie. It was only a matter of time until Hollywood took the concept for the highly successful online RPG and turned it into a concept for a film.

According to a report from MTV, Raimi has chosen screenwriter Robert Rodat (Saving Private Ryan) to write the screenplay for the upcoming project.   

"We want to be really faithful to the game. We would have our writer… really craft an original story within that world that feels like a 'World of Warcraft' adventure. Only obviously it's very different ’cause it's expanded and translated into the world of a motion picture."
    I think we would try and find touchstones within the game to make it accurate and true and choose one or some of the lands that are portrayed in the game with as much accuracy and authenticity as possible."

While it is evident that it really was just a matter of time until Hollywood would turn the successful game into a movie; skepticism is still expected.  Based on the interview it seems that the story may be an adaptation of the book "Arthas: Rise of the Lich King." What do you think? Are you looking forward to seeing a World of Warcraft movie? Do you think that Raimi could turn this into a franchise? Do you think that there are some forms of entertainment that do not transfer well to film?  Do you play the game? Have you read the comic book?
    Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mutant X

Oh god -_-

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Really how would they make this movie

ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwh

Warcraft instancing= storming the beaches of Normandy?  
    This film is gonna end so many careers.

Riezner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Riezner

Laaaaaaame.

Treason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Treason

The next popular game to be made into a movie will be Age of Empires, they are currently looking for people to play the mouse pointer
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Namor1987

I've never playe WoW so idk much about it cept that it includes Blood Elves & those bull/ox looking things

SwaggaB0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SwaggaB0y

not really Warcraft has a good enough story to make a film stop stressing.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By TheMess1428

I used to play as an Orc Hunter but always got bored by level 10. But it'd be interesting to see a movie.
    Inthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Inthedark

Two Words BloodRayne 

Two More Uwe Bole iirc
    skprgb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By skprgb

I think this movie has some potential. i used to play the game quit about a year ago and there's a lot of story within the game that i think can be transferred to the big screen.

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

Please apply head to your nearest flat surface

-SMACK-

Baraborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Baraborn

Well, I don't know about the supporting characters thing, and the WoW movie has way less potential than a Warcraft 3 movie. But as long as the Orcs are green, the Night Elves are purple and the Dwarves are drunk it could be good.

I think Raimi could do it, no more than 4 installments though. MMO's can't be turned into a movie due to little to no central storyline. 

I've played Warcraft 3 (I loved it), for a few months the MMO (I was not impressed), read the comics (they were alright). With strong developed characters in both the games and the comics adding more magically over powered individuals just mucks up the universe.... unless WoW 2 won't be coming out.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By jefprice

I'm no WoW fan, but I did play at my old office with a friend and it could make for some awesome tales. Good lore, great story, just takes to long in in the game to get there.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14  Edited By jakob187

The dood who wrote Saving Private Ryan? 

Man, they are REALLY trying to make this a good movie!!! 

Also, I'm pretty sure it's just a Warcraft movie.

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By welshguy

Played WoW a bit. Got bored. I think the world is a little too cartoony and bright for my liking. I far prefer darker fantasy worlds like Nosgoth from the Legacy of Kain series or the Malazan books by a great author whose name really does elude me at the moment. Can Raimi make this WoW movie good? Ain't got a clue. For a fantasy film to work you need 1: fighting. 2: more fighting. 3: no bloody comic relief/kiddy friendly characters. 4: even more fighting. 5: incredible attention payed to creating a believable fantasy world. 

Did I mention fighting?

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

at first i was like HELL NO 

but if Raimi is on it im sooo there! XD

Skies327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skies327

The story of Arthas is actually the stuff movies are made of already. He's a Prince of one of the last great human kingdoms in the world, as the others have been decimated by the war with the Orcs. He is trained to be a Paladin, becomes powerful in adulthood, and then begins to see his kingdom besieged by a plague that turns its victims into the Undead. Slowly he descends into desperation to save his kingdom, even culling entire cities to stop the spread of the plague, slipping further and further into madness until finally he finds a legendary weapon that binds his soul with that of a powerful demon. He becomes that which he was trying to stop. 

There are a few major items along the way, but that's more or less it. I still play World of Warcraft and honestly the story of Arthas is one of the most compelling ones I've ever seen in a game. While the gameplay may not draw some in, I think if they made a story of Arthas' rise and eventual fall into madness, it could be quite good. I'm skeptical of the translation of the various races on the big screen, but I've been pleasantly suprised by movies before.

And I apologize for the block of text, but I really do like this particular tale.   As long as Toby MacGuire doesn't play Arthas and Kirsten Dunst isn't Jaina Proudmoore, I'd go see it.

girllover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By girllover

i never played the game, but i think the movie is going to be interesting.

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LastSon1027
    @Inthedark: One word, agreed.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By damswedon

so its going to be a four hour fetch quest?

Avatar image for crimsoncomedian
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CrimsonComedian

Have you seen the Spider-Man films? Don't give this project to Raimi... give it to Jackson. Look what he did with the Lord Of The Rings o_O. I repeat; do NOT give it to Raimi. If he makes this movie, gamers that were thinking about buying the game will barely take a first look at the game if they pass it in a store.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By Moomin123

I don't know whether this'll be a brilliant film or not. What's the main hero gonna be? 
    I bet the main villain will be the Lich King.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Media_Master

Sounds like people want him to do a Lynch King story, and I can't blame them either.

AliceHatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By AliceHatter

Yeh I'm pretty sure that we can trust Raimi. ED 1&2 were awesome movies, and the Spidermans were pretty awesome. 

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
    @CrimsonComedian said:
    " Have you seen the Spider-Man films? Don't give this project to Raimi... give it to Jackson. Look what he did with o_O. I repeat; do NOT give it to Raimi. If he makes this movie, gamers that were thinking about buying the game will barely take a first look at the game if they pass it in a store. "
    Agreed i don't like Raimi. The only thing i like from him is the Evil Dead series. F*ck off him.
    Avatar image for crimsoncomedian
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CrimsonComedian
    @BiteMe-Fanboy said:
    " @CrimsonComedian said:
    " Have you seen the Spider-Man films? Don't give this project to Raimi... give it to Jackson. Look what he did with o_O. I repeat; do NOT give it to Raimi. If he makes this movie, gamers that were thinking about buying the game will barely take a first look at the game if they pass it in a store. "
    Agreed i don't like Raimi. The only thing i like from him is the Evil Dead series. F*ck off him. "
    The only good thing that came from Sam were the Evil Dead movies. Let's face it, Sam doesn't have experience to make a film out of a game like World Of Warcraft. Atleast Jackson does have experience with that style of movie... example, again; Lord Of The Rings trilogy.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NightFang3

Sounds good to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.