Follow

WonderCon

Concept » WonderCon appears in 3 issues.

Annual comic book and entertainment convention held each year in San Francisco.

The WonderCon That Was

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Wandering at WonderCon.
     Wandering at WonderCon.

There was a lot of talk around the booths that the foot traffic at Wonder Con was a lot thicker this year.  The regulars were saying they felt that attendance was up. The only rational explanation is that people heard that I’d be there for the first time this year.

I think the best compliment I can give to Wonder Con as an experience in whole is that I was actually smiling while on the drive back home to LA.  Even as I was at the wheel, alone at 1 AM, halfway through a six hour drive down the 5 in the black nighttime landscapes of central California - - I couldn’t help but smile. Good vibes, good company and good experiences… what more can one ask of a couple days? I got to see San Francisco for the first time since I was a kid and enjoy a Californian city with a distinctly different identity from the city of Angels.  I got to see all my fellow tomatoes on the comic vine - - G-Man, Babs, Riezner, JoeyF & ADH - - and get into some on-camera shenanigans with them.  I got to sign copies of HYBRID BASTARDS! for a throng of unsuspecting fans in the company of my Archaia peers… Josh Finney, Kat Rocha, Patrick McAvoy, Chandra Free and too many more people working “behind the pages” to list.   I even got to meet some of you, the fresh-faced Comic Vine community…

== TEASER ==

My view of the city as flew in, like Superman.
     My view of the city as flew in, like Superman.

I put a special shout out to RadZombie, Misterz173 and a kid whose screen-name I apologize most profusely for not recalling, right now. I wrote it down in a notebook that I subsequently lost somewhere between LA and San Fran. So, if you know who you are, by all means, stand up and make yourself known!  All three of these guys stopped by the Archaia booth to say hello to me and I can’t overstate how much I appreciated that.  Forget the editable databases, forget the wacky videos… what puts Comic Vine above the competition is the positivity of our community. It’s infectious and I want to see more of it in fully-living, oxygen-breathing, carbon dioxide-exhausting reality at C2E2. I want to meet more of you maniacs in person, so stop on by the Archaia booth next weekend and check out the Archaia All-Access panel I’ll be on from 1:45 to 2:45 on Saturday the 17th.  I’ll have copies of the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover with me (which I just found out is FINALLY hitting the streets on April 28), so whoever moseys on over will have an inside scoop the whole rest of the world won’t have access to.

For my first con of the season, I have to say that Wonder Con was a four-cylinder-firing, jackpot-hitting, cowbell-ringing success.  I’m stoked to do it all over again in just a couple weeks. Goodbye City by the Bay, hello Windy City. My home town, Chicago. See y'all at C232!

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this April - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Decept-O

Will you and Comic Vine do any coverage of C2E2?   I enjoy your articles and craziness, please keep posting!
    AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AngeTheDude

Hey Tom! That was ME you forgot! I have my signed copy of Hybrid Bastards to prove it!

Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Bergquist

are you guys (anyone) going to c2e2
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sora_thekey

Awesome... When you said ADH did you mean AHR?
    or is there another staff member with the ADH name?

@Decept-O: @bergquist: According to what Inferiorego has told me... YES! 
    can't wait to see C2E2 coverage!

ElJuano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By ElJuano

C2E2 baby The Chi is in the HeeHouse!!!!!!!!!! Hope to see you all @McCormick place, I hope this is an event worth attending for all of you and of course the all the fine ppl in Chicago!

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Aspenite

Hell, what did I miss....

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I wish I could have attended! I saw coverage on the news.

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By No_name_here
    @sora_thekey:  AHR, of course. Blame the flub on hypertime.
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By No_name_here
    @AngeTheDude:  There you are! I'm sure the issue blew your mind, right?
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By No_name_here
    @Decept-O: I'll be there, in style, and as crazy as ever.
    Mourgos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Mourgos
    @Tom Pinchuk:   Great article!  I wrote a few of my experiences my self at www.Lunch.com = http://lunch.com/t/13aj .  Rather than wait in that horrendous three hour line to see Nic Cage et al., I spent time with Joe and Adam Kubert, the Sergio & Mark Show, and Murphy Anderson.  Love the classic artists.  Got a stack of Bronze Age comics at 50% off and shot a bunch of Masquerade shots Saturday night.  I was one of the chosen at the backstage photo shoot.   Will you be going to the Anaheim Con?  

Flickr Links:  (Includes Contest Winners!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotman/sets/72157623653993143/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotman/sets/72157623777212950/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotman/sets/72157623776845424/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotman/sets/72157623651644099/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotman/sets/72157623774686302/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotman/sets/72157623758787672/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.