Xena looks cool dressed up like dcau Wonder Woman.

#1 Edited by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't forget that bruce tim said he didn't know what to do with Wonder Woman during the original show. Well don't worry. The vision of "edgy" writers came to the rescue. Everybody loves how geoff and company continue to shove basic warrior woman down our throats. Who needs a powerhouse when you can get a super human xena swinging a sword at everybody at all times?

I'm glad to see so many comments spilling the tea about the way they have messed the WW verse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jutORxRW47U&t=156s

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
#2 Posted by masterwitcher88 (1401 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw only one comment.

#3 Posted by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by Archizooom (2175 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman's gone to the dogs

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
#5 Edited by Geraldofvengerberg (647 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

Even Superhero girls version have swords and shield.

No Caption Provided

#6 Posted by Geraldofvengerberg (647 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, she can't fly!

#7 Posted by TrueThemyscira (384 posts) - - Show Bio

The sword looks so fucking ugly...what is this shit...

#8 Edited by TrueThemyscira (384 posts) - - Show Bio

The patriarchy has won. This is further proof. DC will never be shit when it comes to Wonder Woman so y'all need to stop holding your breath. It's just a circle of constant disappointment.

#9 Posted by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

The patriarchy has won. This is further proof. DC will never be shit when it comes to Wonder Woman so y'all need to stop holding your breath. It's just a circle of constant disappointment.

Nobody is holding their breath. We know that many writers don't give a damn about respecting WW's legacy.

BTW. Do you have twitter? You can join our group.

#10 Posted by Archizooom (2175 posts) - - Show Bio

Loading Video...

They're really going to town with this ice cream gag

The grass was supposed to be greener in Paradise Island, now it's the other way around. Men's World is more developed and even the food is better

#11 Edited by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizooom said:
@geraldofvengerberg said:
Loading Video...

The grass was supposed to be greener in Paradise Island, now it's the other way around. Men's World is more developed and even the food is better

Honestly that cartoon version is getting better treatment than the comic one right now. She is a leader, strong, funny, and a fish out of water learning from a new world with friends. Comic WW at this point in time has been a hero for a long time. And her new run started yet again, with a WW doubting herself so easily. And fighting Ares in an arc called just war. With fights that lasted 3-4 blows. They had Ares portrayed as a typical generic brick rather than a God. And WW was not even responsible for the peace settle at the end. Does somebody know if gww has any idea about writing a self made, self empowerment powerhouse female icon? Because many writers talk about WW like they are her fans. But here we are, with another who is WW type of arc to start the new run.

#12 Posted by Geraldofvengerberg (647 posts) - - Show Bio

@geraldofvengerberg said:
Loading Video...

True

#13 Edited by Archizooom (2175 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: I don’t know what to say, it’s not a good time to be a Wonder Woman fan. That film was supposed to be a dream come true but it’s proving a bit of a nightmare instead. I'm so gutted

#14 Posted by ganon15 (7211 posts) - - Show Bio

I blame Injustice for this

#15 Edited by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizooom said:

@agent41: I don’t know what to say, it’s not a good time to be a Wonder Woman fan. That film was supposed to be a dream come true but it’s proving a bit of a nightmare instead. I'm so gutted

Which one? Since we have more than one film with Wonder Woman between 2019 and 2020. If you mean the upcoming DCAU movie. I don't think anybody had big expectations for that one.

#16 Posted by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

I blame Injustice for this

I blame geoff, didio, azz and snyder.

#17 Edited by Archizooom (2175 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by ganon15 (7211 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: Yeah but I feel like ever since that 2013 game, she's always been using the sword+shield

#19 Edited by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: The live-action ones

What did you hear about the sequele that made you have a negative vibe?

#20 Posted by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

@agent41: Yeah but I feel like ever since that 2013 game, she's always been using the sword+shield

Before 2013, we had her flashpoint portrayal in 2011. Then in N52 where she was seen talking about killing her villains, and stabbing her peers like when she got angry in that jl issue where she fought green lantern. Her origin of n52 where amazons are rapists, etc.

#21 Posted by Archizooom (2175 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: Nothing, I’m actually quite optimistic about WW84, perhaps a little too much so

#22 Posted by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: Nothing, I’m actually quite optimistic about WW84, perhaps a little too much so

Then what live movie were you talking about?

#23 Posted by Archizooom (2175 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: I was talking about Wonder Woman and the other 2 movies she appeared in, and how the DCeU redefined Wonder Woman in the public mind. She’s a different character now, we should get used to that

#24 Edited by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizooom said:

@agent41: I was talking about Wonder Woman and the other 2 movies she appeared in, and how the DCeU redefined Wonder Woman in the public mind. She’s a different character now, we should get used to that

This problem started in 2011. Not 2017 with her film. And the issue is the writers that still promote WW as a powerhouse God like warrior with codes, and somebody that would try diplomacy before fighting. Yet they don't show us the diplomat or the powerhouse God like warrior.

#25 Edited by Archizooom (2175 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: True, Wonder Woman started carrying a sword in 2011, however, the shield didn’t take root until those movies hit. And the mainstream success of Warrior Woman on the big-screen pushed Wonder Woman past the point of no return. In other words, her transformation into Warrior Woman is now completely irreversible

#26 Edited by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizooom said:

@agent41: True, Wonder Woman started carrying a sword in 2011, however, the shield didn’t take root until those movies hit. And the mainstream success of Warrior Woman on the big-screen pushed Wonder Woman past the point of no return. In other words, her transformation into Warrior Woman is now completely irreversible

Her attitude as warrior woman, likes to kill m villains and stab my peers started in 2011. Female kratos(god of war) started in 2011. The downgrade in power started in 2011.

#27 Posted by PurplePerson (911 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why Xena always gets dragged into this. She was a character with an interesting back story, quite a lot of depth and who went though a clear, usually well-written, character arc. She was also portrayed as incredibly competent, skilled, resourceful and funny.

I wish the boring, uninteresting Wonder Woman that is so often how she's portrayed had more in common with Xena.

#28 Posted by dshipp17 (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why Xena always gets dragged into this. She was a character with an interesting back story, quite a lot of depth and who went though a clear, usually well-written, character arc. She was also portrayed as incredibly competent, skilled, resourceful and funny.

I wish the boring, uninteresting Wonder Woman that is so often how she's portrayed had more in common with Xena.

In my case, and my point, because Xena is a totally different character; the character that Marston created is Wonder Woman; I came on board as a Wonder Woman fan, based on the character that Marston created; the warrior angle stuff represents extra character stuff and storytelling that isn't Wonder Woman; so, it would be do good to depart from it; some starting points: modernize Marston, look at what Messner-Loebs tried to accomplish, and bring Dr. Psycho into her book; this means more of a sci-fi take, as I've pointed out through, up to, and away from the changes that took root in 2010; but, DC took the opposing side, though Wonder Woman was more mythical and magical, and that's the stuff now.

#29 Edited by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@purpleperson said:

Boring and intersting are all subjective. The success of Wonder Woman proves a lot of people have resonated with her throughout the years. Wonder Woman is a character that touched on all the topics xena touched, and in a very conservative era like the 40s.

#30 Posted by PurplePerson (911 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: of course Wonder Woman has resonated. She has been a great character at numerous times in the past and can still be again. All I’m saying is when people (not just you, several people have done this) complain about WW being depicted as a “generic, Xena-like warrior woman,” I disagree because Xena is a cool character and this version of Diana isn’t IMO.

#31 Edited by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@purpleperson said:

@agent41: of course Wonder Woman has resonated. She has been a great character at numerous times in the past and can still be again. All I’m saying is when people (not just you, several people have done this) complain about WW being depicted as a “generic, Xena-like warrior woman,” I disagree because Xena is a cool character and this version of Diana isn’t IMO.

I said Xena because she is called warrior princess. And many writers now focus on the warrior side of Diana. But not in a good way. Wonder Woman was a badass powerhouse warrior in the past. And she didn't need to carry a sword and look angry all the time to prove it. They are portraying her like Xena before she met Gabrielle. As a warrior woman who could only think about fighting. Then we also have the downgrade in power. Xena is human. But Wonder Woman is still promoted as a warrior with Godly powers that can fight Gods. Yet we only get generic sword and shield showings most of the time now. That's why i call this approach the super human Xena. I'm not bashing Xena.

#32 Posted by PurplePerson (911 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: I know. I mostly agree with what you are saying I was just being a bit nit picky.

#33 Edited by ganon15 (7211 posts) - - Show Bio

I just remembered Diana had an armoury in JLU:

No Caption Provided

So her whipping out the sword for this specific conflict isn't something new

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca9389143922
#34 Posted by deactivated-5ca9389143922 (596 posts) - - Show Bio

Xena was awesome, dude.

#35 Posted by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by somayareece (896 posts) - - Show Bio

I might be too young but who is Xena?

#37 Edited by dshipp17 (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@somayareece said:

I might be too young but who is Xena?

She's a character from the 1990s; she was invented as a spin off character for the Hercules: The Legendary Journeys tv series; around the 1995-2002 time period.

#38 Posted by NathanTheCynic (130 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is being blown out of proportion. I don’t mind Wonder Woman using a sword or shield, if anything they make her a more interesting figther(separating her from the rest of the league). I think the issue here is that she keeps wiping out her sword in situations that she doesn’t need it.

#39 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
#40 Posted by masterwitcher88 (1401 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is being blown out of proportion. I don’t mind Wonder Woman using a sword or shield, if anything they make her a more interesting figther(separating her from the rest of the league). I think the issue here is that she keeps wiping out her sword in situations that she doesn’t need it.

QFT.

#41 Posted by agent41 (15863 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathanthecynic said:

QFT.

Her shield and sword don't help to highlight her fighter side though. Because she doesn't get many skill feats with them to make her look like a real master of swordsmanship. Pre 52 Wonder Woman has better skill feats AND Power feats, and she didn't need to carry a sword or have 1 million statements about her capabilities. She just had feats doing the talking for her. She was a badass and didn't need to look angry or pissed most of the time to look and be a badass.

#42 Edited by NathanTheCynic (130 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:
@masterwitcher88 said:
@nathanthecynic said:

QFT.

Her shield and sword don't help to highlight her fighter side though. Because she doesn't get many skill feats with them to make her look like a real master of swordsmanship. Pre 52 Wonder Woman has better skill feats AND Power feats, and she didn't need to carry a sword or have 1 million statements about her capabilities. She just had feats doing the talking for her. She was a badass and didn't need to look angry or pissed most of the time to look and be a badass.

I think the lack of skill feats with her sword/shield is a fault of the writer. But I agree 100% about Pre 52 Wonder Woman being much more of a badass than New 52 WW. I still don't understand what caused her to written like an angry idiot all the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.