Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman's sword and shield problem

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
    masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I hate the way most artists display Diana with a sword and shield. Especially when she uses them against ALLIES. This does not mean she should never touch a sword and shield but that DC editorial needs to step up and say when and where lethal weaponry should be drawn on her.

HOWEVER, even when she is depicted with a sword and shield she is often under powered or some how less deadly then she was without weaponry. Its completely odd and makes you wonder why bother with her weaponry if she is only going to be jobbing or worse. Diana with a sword and shield should be 10x more deadly then without them and yet instead of this....

We get this...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

She's sloppy, Attacks her own teammates, gets slower reflexes, and is blind/unaware of enemies around her etc...

I just.. Can't.. With.. DC.. Why call her an unconquerable warrior if your not going to show her such.

SMH.

I blame poor research and fight choreography by artists.

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I miss Marston/Peter's WW and earlier versions of her (Perez). Diana was such a badass and she was intelligent. She had incredible feats and was truly a warrior. Current WW is so watered down from previous versions and it's been like this for too long. The New 52 surely didn't help.

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also blame poor research and lack of knowledge/understanding.

Itachus17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I miss Marston/Peter's WW and earlier versions of her (Perez). Diana was such a badass and she was intelligent. She had incredible feats and was truly a warrior. Current WW is so watered down from previous versions and it's been like this for too long. The New 52 surely didn't help.

I also blame poor research and lack of knowledge/understanding.

This, so much this.

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long story short, WW fans never get anything good.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just when I thought I couldn't hate the sword any more than I already did for all the reasons mentioned in the OP, today Wonder Woman went and dropped it on the floor, a jihadist then picked it up and killed a nun with it. She also held it to her son's throat just a couple of months ago. We should collect all the stupid stuff Wonder Woman does with her sword right here on this thread, can anyone pin it?

masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just when I thought I couldn't hate the sword any more than I already did for all the reasons mentioned in the OP, today Wonder Woman went and dropped it on the floor, a jihadist then picked it up and killed a nun with it. She also held it to her son's throat just a couple of months ago. We should collect all the stupid stuff Wonder Woman does with her sword right here on this thread, can anyone pin it?

I could not believe what I read tbh. All that just to begin a story revolving around Batman, again. She had no super speed, she just stood there and did nothing while the sword was on the ground. Its amazing how backwards Diana has been going; first she was a skilled and tactical fighter using lethal weapons as a last resort, Then she was blood thirsty warrior woman, now she's an unskilled skilled klutz.

By all means that's half the reason I made this thread. Point out what an actual skilled warrior is (Pyrrha Nikos, a better Wonder Woman then Wonder Woman right now and she's dead) vs the trash DC is presenting Diana to be.

SmilingPangoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmilingPangoro

I hoping that the uhh "accident" with her sword in the latest Justice League issue is going to be brought up in the next few issues to serve as a way of pointing out that her carrying it around everywhere can be detrimental if something happens. Even if that moment was bullshit.

I mean, I'm okay with the sword as long as it's used when fighting monsters or whenever her enemies are also using similar weapons. Definitely not against other heroes! She's already very capable with her lasso and as said, she seems to fight worse with her sword.

When she pulls out the sword, it should be something like a"Oh shit, she's serious!" moment.

masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hoping that the uhh "accident" with her sword in the latest Justice League issue is going to be brought up in the next few issues to serve as a way of pointing out that her carrying it around everywhere can be detrimental if something happens. Even if that moment was bullshit.

I mean, I'm okay with the sword as long as it's used when fighting monsters or whenever her enemies are also using similar weapons. Definitely not against other heroes! She's already very capable with her lasso and as said, she seems to fight worse with her sword.

When she pulls out the sword, it should be something like a"Oh shit, she's serious!" moment.

Unfortunately most artists and writers don't feel that way and just draw it on her for a cool factor rather then ask themselves "why does she have a sword and shield in this situation?"

masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the new infamous scan, wonder what the NEXT one is?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterwitcher88: Save a few exceptions here and there, the plot prevents Wonder Woman from being skillful with her sword because her opponent is simply not supposed to die. She's not allowed to be very good unless she's just julienning parademons or fighting a monster

masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By masterwitcher88

@archizooom: True. Though the idea of immortal gods suggests that she could show off her skill against them rather then fight her team with an atom cutting sword.

What's more is that there are plenty of legendary tribes in Greek myth that she could display her lethal skills. Peace being the first option before any sort of combat.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizooom: True. Though the idea of immortal gods suggests that she could show off her skill against them rather then fight her team with an atom cutting sword.

What's more is that there are plenty of legendary tribes in Greek myth that she could display her lethal skills. Peace being the first option before any sort of combat.

Context is important, people.

First, in the shown scans of her fighting her teammates, let's remember that Wonder Woman wasn't showing up to fight her team. They became an issue while a massive war was going on. And Superman was already being a massive prick after becoming the God of Strength.

Secondly, are you saying she should try to befriend Doomsday? I'm all for piece, but you literally should pick your battles. Doomsday is not one to be swayed.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By HandOfPrometheus

Hate WW with sword and shield. Prefer her strength with tiara and lasso.

masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:
    @masterwitcher88 said:

Context is important, people.

First, in the shown scans of her fighting her teammates, let's remember that Wonder Woman wasn't showing up to fight her team. They became an issue while a massive war was going on. And Superman was already being a massive prick after becoming the God of Strength.

Secondly, are you saying she should try to befriend Doomsday? I'm all for piece, but you literally should pick your battles. Doomsday is not one to be swayed.

And? does that give her permission to use deadly force on GL? She shouldn't hold back against teammates? as for Superman I ask the same questions. SM was eventually brought back in the right state mind when she decided to be Wonder Woman and use the lasso on him rather then attempt to cut him up.

No, I'd love to see a long fight between her and Doomsday were she uses weaponry PROPERLY i.e. with tactical thinking and skill rather then have her show up only to lose to make Superman even more impressive when he beats Doomsday, just like in SM/WW and some what like in Action Comics.

As I stated I don't mind her using a sword and shield or dual swords for that matter. Its not just a matter of when she uses it but how as well.

"HOWEVER, even when she is depicted with a sword and shield she is often under powered or some how less deadly then she was without weaponry. Its completely odd and makes you wonder why bother with her weaponry if she is only going to be jobbing or worse. Diana with a sword and shield should be 10x more deadly then without them"

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterwitcher88: Doomsday is off-limits to anyone BUT Superman because it's the creature that killed him, Superman is supposed to be the only one who can stop it, which means Wonder Woman, at the best of times, can only hang with Doomsday for a few minutes. In other words, she's sure to perform worse than Superman (bare-knuckled) despite her sword and shield which, on paper, should give Wonder Woman a huge advantage

masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterwitcher88: Doomsday is off-limits to anyone BUT Superman because it's the creature that killed him, Superman is supposed to be the only one who can stop it, which means Wonder Woman, at the best of times, can only hang with Doomsday for a few minutes. In other words, she's sure to perform worse than Superman (bare-knuckled) despite her sword and shield which, on paper, should give Wonder Woman a huge advantage

Perfect Clones is an option. Darkseid has cloned him before what's stopping him from doing it again and perfecting it.

But I get it. She's more than likely going to be jobbing against Doomsday even with her reflexes and atom cutting sword its a shame really.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Archizooom

Veronica's pressing charges against Diana for assaulting an employee with a lethal weapon, that's just too goddamn funny. Warrior Woman had it coming

masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.