Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman movie set in 1920s

• 55 results
    Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Ok I know this rumor is pretty old but it is still bothering me. For a while word was that her movie would be set in the 1920s. It would be part of a trilogy where the second is WW2 and the third is in the modern world. Im not sure if it is true or not especially with no other news on what her movie would be about. Im hoping it isnt because Wonder Woman has no history in the 20s. I would be some what ok if it was during WW2, but other than womens sufferage what would be the purpose of setting it so far back and what could they even do. What are your thoughts on this rumor? Do you think its true and if it is would it be any good?

Santon3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Her solo might be filmed in the past but she will have appearances on current time on other movies.

I honestly don't have any issues with the story being set in the past, as long as the character is written properly and given a good story.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@santon3000: The reason warner bros got rid of her was because she wanted an epic like braveheart and they wanted a more character driven story and I think she wanted a lion sidekick or something like that, but I hope that it was just her that was wanting it in the 20s and now wb.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: Yeah you do have a point I just cant think of what they would be doing in the 20s unless Ares is trying to start WW2 early.

Santon3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@santon3000: Im pretty sure it was something like that. That would have ruined the movie and WWs integrity. It would have been the Jar Jar Binks of comic book movies and Im glad that wont happen..... hopefully.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really wanted a high fantasy epic but i mean a period piece isn't out of the question I guess....gadot did say one of WW's powers was the ability to jump really high which sounds like golden era WW

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really wanted a high fantasy epic but i mean a period piece isn't out of the question I guess....gadot did say one of WW's powers was the ability to jump really high which sounds like golden era WW

Jump really high? fail. set in 20s? fail. I hope none of this is true. The only reason to set it so early is because of Man Of Steel and her appearing in this vacuous Batman Vs Superman crap.- This is exactly why they should have just done solo movies, leading to the Justice League Movie. A trainwreck waiting to happen, I hope ww survives this nonsense and is given another chance.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Yeah I dont really care for some of these descisions, but the only jumping really high sort of makes sense she didnt originally have flight and like Superman it was a later addition to her powers. I wish she could fly but I guess they wanted to make her different from Superman. Though I hope this 20s rumor is just that a rumor and they have plans to keep in th the modern world maybe just have it set before BvS.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I don't like about this approach is the implication that Wonder Woman didn't make a very big impact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @willienotwilliam said:

Jump really high? fail. set in 20s? fail. I hope none of this is true. The only reason to set it so early is because of Man Of Steel and her appearing in this vacuous Batman Vs Superman crap.- This is exactly why they should have just done solo movies, leading to the Justice League Movie. A trainwreck waiting to happen, I hope ww survives this nonsense and is given another chance.

maybe they are going for a captain america tfa sorta deal but it doesnt really work at all because like @brunnhilde is saying there would be big news about a woman with super powers fighting nazis, though there wouldnt be nazis in the 1920's

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: if she was trying to keep her presence a secret like Clark in MoS, it makes sense she didn't have much of an impact.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z: that would mean wed get a whole movie of her not doing anything

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@brunnhilde: if she was trying to keep her presence a secret like Clark in MoS, it makes sense she didn't have much of an impact.

Either way, it means Wonder Woman didn't accomplish anything big and that she's been among us before Superman launched the age of superheroes, unless Ares is behind the world war and she ends up battling him in another realm, something along those lines. Or they nerfed Wonder Woman to Captain America's level which doesn't seem unlikely given they already have Superman and Shazam's going to join them later, as well as the Martian Manhunter.

@agent_z: that would mean wed get a whole movie of her not doing anything

Pretty much.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Considering the Post-Crisis Diana was 'timeless' in regards to her own age (never mentioned, for all we know she could have been hundreds of years old and still be the youngest person on Themyscira), I don't think Diana appearing in the 1920'ties is all that much of a leap, plus you have to remember that the director had to consider that putting her in the 1940'ties would make her look too much like Captain America.

Aside that, the rumor was that Luthor was looking for Diana whom he believes has been around since 1920, but who is to say that the person he's seen on some faded brown and white photo isn't Hippolyta? Who is often depicted with a striking semblance to her daughter.

Imagine that Hippolyta (or Diana) have been venturing into Man's World regularly for their own reasons for centuries? That could be a rather good scene with Trevor or someone else pouring over old books and paintings finding evidence of either of the two going back through history before ending up with the old myths.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

As far as I know, the bit about DCCU Wonder Woman not being able to fly (or "jumping really high") was translated from a Hebrew interview with Gal Gadot, so stuff may have been lost in translation.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Considering the Post-Crisis Diana was 'timeless' in regards to her own age (never mentioned, for all we know she could have been hundreds of years old and still be the youngest person on Themyscira),

It was mentioned; in the arc where Darkseid attacks Themyscira Diana herself says she's 22 years old.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Well, they did something similar with Captain America in the MCU and that movie turned out to be rather good, so I wouldn't mind an approach like this. Although she should be shown during modern times sooner than the third movie.

As for not being able to fly, while I would like to see her being able to fly, at least this is not inconsistent with her powerset over the years. She didn't gain that ability until after COIE and even in the new 52, she started without it until Hermes granted her that ability.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

As it was already said, the idea isn't the brightest and it wouldn't fit the movie in my opinion. This would totally ruin the fact that Superman is the one that started the age of heroes and that he is one of the first out there.

Also another thing is the fact that I just can't see Diana in the 20's.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lilben42

@brunnhilde: @willienotwilliam: Not really. Just because no one knows about her doesn't mean she can't do anything, it just means she was very secretive about it. She could've saved the world and changed many lives without anyone knowing about it. Or the government could've covered it up. I hope they treat her like a myth in BVS.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: @jphulk26: I don't care if it's in the 20s I just hope that they don't get into the 20s mode (where they deal with racism and women's rights and basically the problems of that time). I'm sure they are going to follow the new 52 route where she's given the ability to fly which I prefer because in the comics it was a nice moment.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

If they are dead set on a period setting, I hope it's over various time settings. I think it would be potent to drive home the tragedy of immortality especially for a superhero, she would be constantly trying to save people only to eventually lose them in the end anyway while illustrating her strength in never giving up despite this.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Ooh that might be good if they did do multiple time periods. It might be kind of interesting to see.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: Get ready to get angry: Diana can't fly.

I'm not as bummed about it as you would've been had they done it to Superman

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42 said:

@brunnhilde:Not really. Just because no one knows about her doesn't mean she can't do anything, it just means she was very secretive about it. She could've saved the world and changed many lives without anyone knowing about it. Or the government could've covered it up. I hope they treat her like a myth in BVS.

I suppose it's possible but If Wonder Woman didn't stop the second world war before 5 million jews, 40 million civilians and 25 million soldiers succumbed to death then she's either not a very capable hero or a very powerful one. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Superguy1591

@brunnhilde: Of course I would've been: Superman isn't Superman without flight. He's Mario...or Hulk or something.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: Of course I would've been: Superman isn't Superman without flight. He's Mario...or Hulk or something.

He didn't always have it

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: I don't know if it'll be about world war 2. The war started around 1940.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Archizooom

@lilben42 said:

@brunnhilde: I don't know if it'll be about world war 2. The war started around 1940.

The second one will, presumably, if the first movie doesn't bomb.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: But flight, along with invulnerability, speed, heat vision and strength are basics to Superman's power set now. He's not Superman without them.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I don't really mind and care. All I want is a good film about Wonder Woman with great character developments and a good story. If it's good, then it's good. If it's bad, then it's bad. All I really want nowadays is something entertaining with a good story and character developments throughout the story.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lilben42 said:

@brunnhilde:Not really. Just because no one knows about her doesn't mean she can't do anything, it just means she was very secretive about it. She could've saved the world and changed many lives without anyone knowing about it. Or the government could've covered it up. I hope they treat her like a myth in BVS.

I suppose it's possible but If Wonder Woman didn't stop the second world war before 5 million jews, 40 million civilians and 25 million soldiers succumbed to death then she's either not a very capable hero or a very powerful one. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, in the comics, the Spear of Destiny usually sorted any problems like that.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Outside_85

@tdk_1997 said:

As it was already said, the idea isn't the brightest and it wouldn't fit the movie in my opinion. This would totally ruin the fact that Superman is the one that started the age of heroes and that he is one of the first out there.

Which was only ever the case in the Golden Age. In the Silver and later ages he's just the first modern superhero, with the JSA having been mostly been forgotten and every other past superhuman having only existed as rumors and legends. Not to mention, even in the MoS and the New 52, Batman is supposed to have been active for years before Superman shows up.

Diana walking around the 20'ties could easily fit into this as one of those mostly forgotten predecessors that just chooses to return after Superman appears.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Which was only ever the case in the Golden Age. In the Silver and later ages he's just the first modern superhero, with the JSA having been mostly been forgotten and every other past superhuman having only existed as rumors and legends. Not to mention, even in the MoS and the New 52, Batman is supposed to have been active for years before Superman shows up.

Diana walking around the 20'ties could easily fit into this as one of those mostly forgotten predecessors that just chooses to return after Superman appears.

Yeah, I know that's the case but still doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't work well with Diana. The whole thing of the JSA, along with other forgotten heroes, being the first works well because we can see how they've aged and that there have been actual reports of them doing anything at all. Also another thing is that it would be strange for a 100 year old Diana joining forces later with Batman, Superman and the rest of the League.

It actually seems that even in the cinematic universe Batman has came before Superman since he will be a man around his late thirties probably, and also he has been doing this for a while.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Yeah, I know that's the case but still doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't work well with Diana.

The whole thing of the JSA, along with other forgotten heroes, being the first works well because we can see how they've aged and that there have been actual reports of them doing anything at all.

Also another thing is that it would be strange for a 100 year old Diana joining forces later with Batman, Superman and the rest of the League.

It actually seems that even in the cinematic universe Batman has came before Superman since he will be a man around his late thirties probably, and also he has been doing this for a while.

Why wouldn't it? I'm genuinely curious.

Which could be easily done for Diana as well. Save the aging, it should be no biggie to say she's been around for a while but keeping a low profile.

Why would her being 100 years old make it odd for her to join the others? As it is right now, Diana in the MoS world could very well be the leader of the Justice League thats now showing up to put and end to Superman and Batman's squabbling.

Exactly, so why should he be the only one? Superman can still be the first modern superhero like he's normally been seen by the public, but that doesn't mean there couldn't have been dozens before him working in the shadows. Kinda like how Stormwatch is to the Justice League in the New 52.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why wouldn't it? I'm genuinely curious.

Which could be easily done for Diana as well. Save the aging, it should be no biggie to say she's been around for a while but keeping a low profile.

Why would her being 100 years old make it odd for her to join the others? As it is right now, Diana in the MoS world could very well be the leader of the Justice League thats now showing up to put and end to Superman and Batman's squabbling.

Exactly, so why should he be the only one? Superman can still be the first modern superhero like he's normally been seen by the public, but that doesn't mean there couldn't have been dozens before him working in the shadows. Kinda like how Stormwatch is to the Justice League in the New 52.

Because of the fact that they should really come up with a good explanation why she's not on Paradise Island and why she is helping men. Of course if they do not introduce Steve Trevor and make him be some kind of a past memory of hers and that he;s actually long dead. Also another thing is that it would be more interesting and better if we have a younger Diana, one that we can certainly see grow older and become wiser with time among other heroes.

It would be strange because of the mix of personalities. We will have some young heroes, in the face of Superman, Batman, Aquaman and the rest of League, and in the other end we will have grandma Wonder Woman who wouldn't probably be on the same page as the others. And I cannot see her collaborating well with the others if she's that old.

I am not saying he should be the only one. It would just be better if they keep it the way it is in comic books - the JSA and etc. being around before Superman. If Diana has been there before him it would kill the originallity and the symbolic picture of everything.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Because of the fact that they should really come up with a good explanation why she's not on Paradise Island and why she is helping men. Of course if they do not introduce Steve Trevor and make him be some kind of a past memory of hers and that he;s actually long dead. Also another thing is that it would be more interesting and better if we have a younger Diana, one that we can certainly see grow older and become wiser with time among other heroes.

It would be strange because of the mix of personalities. We will have some young heroes, in the face of Superman, Batman, Aquaman and the rest of League, and in the other end we will have grandma Wonder Woman who wouldn't probably be on the same page as the others. And I cannot see her collaborating well with the others if she's that old.

I am not saying he should be the only one. It would just be better if they keep it the way it is in comic books - the JSA and etc. being around before Superman. If Diana has been there before him it would kill the originallity and the symbolic picture of everything.

Which is not necessarily connected to Superman in any way or form.
    Trevor as a means to get Diana to vacate Paradise Island is not periodically mandated, we are used to him being a 1940'ties pilot, we've had him as a 1980'ties pilot and a 2011 pilot, there is nothing stopping him from being a 1790'ties sailor. Trevor is just a means to get Diana away from Paradise.
    Why would a younger Diana be better? It just seems that every time writers actually try to write her as such, we end up with a stupid Diana?

And Diana's own mother is in most cases as old as western civilization. And they are all adults after all, so this really shouldn't be an issue. Regarding Diana not being on the same page as the others... well aside their mutual interest in keeping the world safe, all the members of the League are on different pages when it comes to motivation, past times and so on.

No, because the only way Diana could kill the symbolic role that Superman has is if she came out swinging the same way he did. What I am suggesting is that Diana has been around for longer but no one has noticed her or been able to confirm she's actually real, before Luthor.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Which is not necessarily connected to Superman in any way or form.

Trevor as a means to get Diana to vacate Paradise Island is not periodically mandated, we are used to him being a 1940'ties pilot, we've had him as a 1980'ties pilot and a 2011 pilot, there is nothing stopping him from being a 1790'ties sailor. Trevor is just a means to get Diana away from Paradise.

Why would a younger Diana be better? It just seems that every time writers actually try to write her as such, we end up with a stupid Diana?

And Diana's own mother is in most cases as old as western civilization. And they are all adults after all, so this really shouldn't be an issue. Regarding Diana not being on the same page as the others... well aside their mutual interest in keeping the world safe, all the members of the League are on different pages when it comes to motivation, past times and so on.

No, because the only way Diana could kill the symbolic role that Superman has is if she came out swinging the same way he did. What I am suggesting is that Diana has been around for longer but no one has noticed her or been able to confirm she's actually real, before Luthor.

Trevor may be a character that can exist in any time period but it would be nice if he was still alive at recent times and not actually be someone who has died 20 years ago or something of that kind. Because if the movie is set in the 20's that means that he would already be in his 20's and he wouldn't have that much of a chance to survive up to 2016.

A younger Diana would have a personality that a lot of people would find more reliable than a Diana that is 100 years old. If she is written well then she can be a good character in any way and wouldn't come out as stupid. Look at what Azzarello did with a 22 year old Diana.

They should all have chemistry between them and not to be teammates only because they all want to keep the world safe. That would mean the team has no chemistry at all and cannot work at their fullest when needed. They should all at least believe in the same stuff and I think older people often do not have the same opinion and mindset for things as younger adults.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By brettjett

@darkdetective27:

Rumor or not, it would make a GREAT idea! It would be just ONE version of Wonder Woman to thrill to...just as there are several versions of Batman to feast your wondering eyes on!

As for WW not having history in the 20's, THINK AGAIN. How much of her backstory do we know? Almost NONE. This was the same problem faced by the Batman character during his training period. Until DC decided to elaborate more on that period, and voila, they produced a very intriguing story that has been variously repeated over the years. Would it be WONDERFUL if DC did the same for Diana's backstory??

I myself have taken it upon myself to write a few origin stories of Diana's background growing up on NAPI (New Amazonia, Paradise Island), based on my studies of William Marston's intentions for his super woman. They are of course, not DC-approved stories, and thus unpublished, but they nonethless resonate true to the WW mythos.

So what was Wonder Woman doing in the 20s? Well depending on which incarnation, she was growing up on NAPI of course! REMEMBER, she was already an adult during World War2. She met Steve Trevor just before Pearl Harbor!!

Check this:

http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-woman/4005-2048/forums/wonder-woman-production-ideas-worth-exploring-697296/?page=1

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brettjett: You do have a point and it might be interesting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe the main villain is ares but they dont want to take a chance getting political with now a days issues and want to use things that are generally accepted, at least among american audiences, but who knows.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Trevor may be a character that can exist in any time period but it would be nice if he was still alive at recent times and not actually be someone who has died 20 years ago or something of that kind. Because if the movie is set in the 20's that means that he would already be in his 20's and he wouldn't have that much of a chance to survive up to 2016.

A younger Diana would have a personality that a lot of people would find more reliable than a Diana that is 100 years old. If she is written well then she can be a good character in any way and wouldn't come out as stupid. Look at what Azzarello did with a 22 year old Diana.

They should all have chemistry between them and not to be teammates only because they all want to keep the world safe. That would mean the team has no chemistry at all and cannot work at their fullest when needed. They should all at least believe in the same stuff and I think older people often do not have the same opinion and mindset for things as younger adults.

Thing is that this would only matter in the context of Diana appearing in BvS, where he has about as much of a chance of appearing as Mera or Silas Stone.

Azzarello wrote a 23 year old Diana well, Geoff Johns however wrote her and her 18 year old self like an imbecile, and sadly Johns is the one with the bigger clout. If she is relatable or not is simply down to how her personality is written, like if you take a look at the Fellowship of the Ring, Gandalf is something like a 1000 years old, so is Legolas, Gimli is close to 200 and Aragorn is 80. Diana can be very old compared to the others, but that doesn't mean she has to act like one.

Well thats the difference between the Justice League and the Teen Titans, the League is a professional outfit that works together for a common goal, it doesn't necessarily mean they are all close personal friends. Barry and Hal for instance don't really like Bruce and never did, Bruce doesn't really like any of them. But the great thing about the League is that they are able to put these issues aside whenever a situation arises and Barry and Hal will follow Bruce's directions without fault. By contrast, the Titans are a group of personal friends who often just hang out because they like each others company.

Regarding Diana specifically... well looking past her age, Diana is an alien to Mans World in most cases, far more so than Superman, she is a product of a culture that's vastly different than ours, so her opinions and mindset has always been different from that of everyone else. What Diana's age can only definitively mean is that she has much more experience than the others, making her the only one capable of telling Batman when his plan wont work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the more i think about it chances are she really is going to be fighting Ares who they will probably have cause or influence the world wars in some way and either she stops some horrible war that never got to happen or she fails

or they have her stay on earth for decades to humanize her or something, maybe she loses her powers for some decades.......none of my thoughts are very positive on this though so who knows and i think that its pointless to have her go the dated Cap route because her roots aren't necessarily tied to these times like Captain America's is.

or maybe she'll just be on themyscira for most of the movie but whatever they do i hope its a fresh take on her story that isnt too bad and adds maybe a new villain or character to her rogues list.

this is her first film so they need to do right by her because people(esp her hardcore fans) have been waiting

WndrWmn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WndrWmn

Hello,

New to participating on Comic Vine but must say I'm loving it! I think that WB needs to solicit the fans to see what WE really want since they have as of yet been 100% unable to come up with anything viable and don't even get me started on that leather looking costume that w/b in the Justice League movie! Can I say "YUCK TIMES A BILLION"! I need bright cheerful primary colors with stars and eagles please. As for the topic here about a 1920s story line - well if done right that could have been interesting. I mean they could have had Hippolyta following things through a magical looking glass and discussing it with her daughter and her immediate ruling court attendees. This could have been discussed in a manner justifying her "anti-men" standpoint and pro sisterhood point of life.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This film sounds like it's going to crash and burn

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope so. It could have a world war 2 vibe but without all the sci-fi stuff like first avenger with the only thing being out of the ordinary is wonder woman

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.