Wonder Woman Annual#1

#1 Edited by ZariusII (2924 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems we're getting a new origin for the Trinity

No Caption Provided

WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL #1

Written by GREG RUCKA and others—Art by NICOLA SCOTT, LIAM SHARP and others—Cover by NICOLA SCOTT

The world of the Amazing Amazon expands in a collection of short stories that take Wonder Woman around the globe! In the days after “Year One,” Diana comes face-to-face with Superman and Batman for the first time, as illustrated by “Year One” artist Nicola Scott…and years later, Liam Sharp brings you the story of how their friendship has evolved!

#2 Posted by Archizooom (1625 posts) - - Show Bio

What happened to 'you're strong. I know' ? it's not even the same Superman, or is it, I don't know what's what anymore

#3 Edited by ZariusII (2924 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizooom said:

What happened to 'you're strong. I know' ? it's not even the same Superman, or is it, I don't know what's what anymore

It's suspected by some of us that the Superman Reborn event is going to fold the classic Superman's history back into the mainline universe, meaning his and Diana's history is getting a top to bottom refresh, probably means their whole relationship never happened or was very likely a part of the lies fed to Diana.

#4 Posted by Quinlan58 (302 posts) - - Show Bio
@zariusii said:
@archizooom said:

It's suspected by some of us that the Superman Reborn event is going to fold the classic Superman's history back into the mainline universe, meaning his and Diana's history is getting a top to bottom refresh, probably means their whole relationship never happened or was very likely a part of the lies fed to Diana.

Seems like that's what's going to happen. I wonder if that is an editorial mandate, or if Rucka just really hates the relationship that much.

#5 Posted by Archizooom (1625 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: The relationship with Superman did happen, they met during Darkseid's invasion and it drove a wedge between Steve and Diana, she talked this over with him a few issues back. As for Superdad, she just recently made his acquaintance...I don't really know what to make of all this

#6 Posted by kidchipotle (15755 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: The relationship with Superman did happen, they met during Darkseid's invasion and it drove a wedge between Steve and Diana, she talked this over with him a few issues back. As for Superdad, she just recently made his acquaintance...I don't really know what to make of all this

Yeah, it HAPPENED but the users above are saying its going to get retconned so it never happened. Thats how retcons work.

#7 Posted by Dernman (23286 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizooom said:

Yeah, it HAPPENED but the users above are saying its going to get retconned so it never happened. Thats how retcons work.

Which is good. It should never have happened like it did or as long. Superman and WW is a temporary relationship at best. Their true interests lie elsewhere.

#8 Posted by kidchipotle (15755 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@kidchipotle said:
@archizooom said:

Which is good. It should never have happened like it did or as long. Superman and WW is a temporary relationship at best. Their true interests lie elsewhere.

I agree. Superman with Lois and Wonder Woman with BATMAN!

#9 Edited by Dernman (23286 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidchipotle said:
@dernman said:
@kidchipotle said:
@archizooom said:

Wonder Woman with BATMAN!

oye vey that's even worse.

Batman's true path is to grow old and alone. Having alienated everyone close to him. It's a good tragic ending that suits him. The closest he gets is Catwoman which partly why it appeals to him subconsciously over it being doomed for failure with her being a criminal. He's dysfunctional like that. Wonder Woman wouldn't go for someone like that.

#10 Posted by kidchipotle (15755 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: I was kidding around when I said that but I still by the story line by Joe Kelly in JLA between Diana and Bruce, that was one of the best romances.

#12 Edited by Archizooom (1625 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidchipotle: Rucka already addressed the relationship in Rebirth and it did happen as per the Rebirth canon is what I'm saying...

#13 Posted by Quinlan58 (302 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: But why retcon it? What do either of these characters gain from never having dated? I mean, even if one hated the relationship, mucking up continuity for the sake of shipping is just ridiculous.

#14 Edited by Dernman (23286 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizooom:

Rucka already addressed the relationship in Rebirth and it did happen as per the Rebirth canon is what I'm saying...

Sure just piss in my cornflakes why don't you. >:-(

@kidchipotle: I figured as much but still felt it needed to be said. We'll have to agree to disagree on thinking it was good.

@quinlan58 said:

@dernman: But why retcon it? What do either of these characters gain from never having dated? I mean, even if one hated the relationship, mucking up continuity for the sake of shipping is just ridiculous.

For the sake of shipping no. For the sake of changing bad shipping because it's a blight on the history of the characters yes.

It's hardly the sole reason it would get erased anyway. The point of rebirth was to undo many of the things that went astray and their relationship is only one thing among many. Just look at the WW universe and how it's getting a compete overhaul. Most everything is getting rewritten for her from what I've been told so why should that e the exception?

#15 Edited by Quinlan58 (302 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: "For the sake of shipping no. For the sake of changing bad shipping because it's a blight on the history of the characters yes."

So for the sake of shipping then.

The way Rucka is retconning absolutely everything is pretty extreme too, so retconning this relationship wouldn't be the biggest thing he'd have done away with. But Diana already addressed it with Steve, Clark and Lois. The rest of the Justice League have referenced it on the Rebirth continuity, so one would have to retcon them too. There is no reason to create a clusterfuk of excuses to erase it from existence instead of, you know, simply saying "she used to date a version of Superman but now she doesn't" on the extremely rare situations where that would be necessary.

#16 Posted by agent41 (10957 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@archizooom:

Rucka already addressed the relationship in Rebirth and it did happen as per the Rebirth canon is what I'm saying...

@kidchipotle: I figured as much but still felt it needed to be said. We'll have to agree to disagree on thinking it was good.

@quinlan58 said:

For the sake of shipping no. For the sake of changing bad shipping because it's a blight on the history of the characters yes.

It's hardly the sole reason it would get erased anyway. The point of rebirth was to undo many of the things that went astray and their relationship is only one thing among many. Just look at the WW universe and how it's getting a compete overhaul. Most everything is getting rewritten for her from what I've been told so why should that e the exception?

A lot of things have changed in Rebirth. Not just WW. At the end of the day, DC feels like the New 52 changes in general weren't well received by a lot of people. So they are tryng to go back to basics.

#17 Edited by ZariusII (2924 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizooom said:

@kidchipotle: Rucka already addressed the relationship in Rebirth and it did happen as per the Rebirth canon is what I'm saying...

You're forgetting that at that point in the book Diana was an unreliable narrator, due to the "lies"

Also, keep in mind the events of March's Superman Rebornhadn't happened yet when Diana brought up the truth regarding the relationship to Steve...what I'm saying, as is evident from the solits for the Superman books and WW annual (for both April AND May), is that it's looking more and more likely once that event happens that further N52 elements will be removed from canon, Supes/Diana included. The only relationship that will matter to Superman after Reborn in this timeline will be the one he has with Lois. They will no longer be refugees from "another universe", they will belong fully to THIS one, as will their entire history. This means Diana/Clark either did'nt happen or it happened earlier in their timeline before Lois and Clark married (which sort of has basis in pre-flashpoint canon also when Clark and Diana breifly dated in Byrne's era)

#18 Posted by Dernman (23286 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:
@dernman said:

@archizooom:

@quinlan58 said:

A lot of things have changed in Rebirth. Not just WW. At the end of the day, DC feels like the New 52 changes in general weren't well received by a lot of people. So they are tryng to go back to basics.

That's what I was saying if I wasn't clear.

#19 Edited by Archizooom (1625 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: And you're forgetting Steve was cognizant of the relationship so it couldn't have been just a figment of her mind. Furthermore, the whole freaking World bore witness to that relationship so they can eighty-six it now but it's gonna create a huge plot hole but what's one more plot hole I guess

#20 Posted by Super-Wonder (507 posts) - - Show Bio

We'll just have to wait and see when the book comes out.
DC has been careless in the past let's see what comes of this. But I agree, that this is something that "happened", addressed in Wonder Woman's title, Superman titles and Superwoman as well as JL before rebirth.

#21 Edited by ZariusII (2924 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizooom said:

@zariusii: And you're forgetting Steve was cognizant of the relationship so it couldn't have been just a figment of her mind. Furthermore, the whole freaking World bore witness to that relationship so they can eighty-six it now but it's gonna create a huge plot hole but what's one more plot hole I guess

If you'd been following the Rebirth issues as dilligently as you ought to have been, you'd know someone's been "editing" time. It's not so much a plot hole when they're deliberartly pointing out a reason for it...it's part of the plot, not something that works against it.

I haven't forgotten Steve and the whole world bore witness to it, but that does'nt mean anything, it's established people's memories have been tampered with in this reality. The N52 romance was shown as one of the many things Diana was unsure of in the WW Rebirth special last year too.

@super-wonder said:

We'll just have to wait and see when the book comes out.

DC has been careless in the past let's see what comes of this. But I agree, that this is something that "happened", addressed in Wonder Woman's title, Superman titles and Superwoman as well as JL before rebirth.

But not before Superman Reborn. What part of this aren't you getting? Reality hasn't been rewritten yet to fold pre-crisis Superman back into history, thus what comes from N52 still stands in everyone's memory until that happens.

#22 Posted by Super-Wonder (507 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

What part of this aren't you getting?

Just this question.

#23 Edited by ZariusII (2924 posts) - - Show Bio

Well you'll get your answer in Action Comics this week

Suffice to say, I called it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.