Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman #750 ***Spoilers***

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

So what did you think?

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
    masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By masterwitcher88

Wild Hunt Finale:

what can I say? I think Steve Orlando is up there as one of the best WW writers of all time. Its nice to see Diana hold her own and be the focus of her own story. Orlando offers a great voice for Diana, she's very noble and regal without sounding to Shakespearian. She know who she is and doesn't doubt herself. Diana wanting to dictate the goals of her mission herself without the Gods is an interesting choice. I don't think this means "no more gods" but, its something different while keeping the core of her character. While I wish that Diana could do more as a action hero, I understand that the circumstances surrounding this first ark are based around a previous run and a justice league overarching story.

The Amazon's are used wonderfully, we get short history bits about them throughout the story and its nice to see them more. I love how detailed Orlando can make the Amazons and their history. The fact that it seems that the Amazons have a combination of magic and technology just like in the golden age is a hopeful sign in the future.

Hera's personality was spot on for me. As someone who loves Greek myth its fun seeing a "greater than thou" Hera. I wish she had her peacock feathered cape, that was a good look for her otherwise, nothing really wrong with her costume. The style made me think that the Gods would get another redesign, in that while they use magic they also use advanced tech, think asgardians from the marvel movies. nothing solid, just me thinking.

Orlando manages to do something no other writer has done to my knowledge; give Diana's sword and shield a meaning. While I still view them as lesser and not worth the extra ink to draw them, I can't deny that this is a good step to keep them. Before Diana's sword and shield were no named nothings, they would change shape and size and design based on the artist, now it seems they hold something valuable to her, a belief or value. Diana also got a new pair of gauntlets. The explanation of which was nice. These are not the true Bracelets of Submission but, the ones that Hippolyta used to free herself from Herakles, reforged using Amazonium. I will never forgive GWW or anyone who thought Diana's OG gauntlets breaking would make for a great plot point in a poorly written story but, what Orlando did helps that bad memory.

overall 8.5-9/10

From Small Things, Mama:

Gail Simone is just a classic Wonder Woman writer, not much to say. She knows Diana to well for her to get something wrong. This wasn't about Diana so much as what she is to other people and what she needs for herself. It's feels very real to see that Diana can break down sometimes, that despite being a Goddess she is still human and can show heartbreak. That sounds so simple, but after the trash fire we have been getting that's a lot to say. I like that she is very mature about her emotions and doesn't make a huge scene over it, like she would in the Nu52. Star Blossom is a fun little character, not my kind of character, but something nice for little kids, like really little. The return of the Megalodons was nice.

overall 9/10

The Interrogation:

Was ok, nice to see classic Ares be classic Ares for a change. Did not believe for a second that Diana could fight him that easily and contain him like that. Knowing what I know about classic Ares. Art was nice. Diana felt a little off, wish she was more subtle about knowing it was Ares. Though one could argue that it was the limited page numbers that Tamaki got to work with. Still I feel like the traps Ares laid could have been better, more impactful. I'd talking monster attacking a city, or sending an asteroid at earth, escalating a military conflict, you know something worth a God's time.

overall 7/10

Never Change:

10/10

To Leave Paradise:

Young Diana dreaming of something more, heard this a bunch of times. I mean, the message of Osia and her hawk was a nice addition. Wish a lot of these Amazons were canon and that they had their own book to follow their adventures. Art was nice, Diana's voice as a child is distinct enough for me to believe that she changes in the future and similar enough for me to know its her.

overall 8/10

Emergency Visit:

Art was not to my liking at all. Some really questionable dialogue choices. To top it off Diana did not feel like Diana at all, no one was in character. Hippolyta creating an emergency to talk to her daughter is just not something she would do.

overall 5/10

To Me:

Other characters talking about who Diana is to them. Liked Steve trevor's part.

overall 8/10

A Brave New World:

I'm not a fan of Scott Snyder's Diana, that's pretty clear. This wasn't a bad set up for Diana to be the new "first super hero" its just not something I agree with. you want to know what being the first superhero means? I mean actually means? nothing. it means nothing. I don't care about Diana being the first hero. Being the first hero should not matter. learning who Diana is and writing her well should matter. Treating her universe, her side characters, villains, ww herself with some amount of respect should matter.

This upsets me the most because I know there is going to be a solid year where I will not buy a single DC comic, because I do not believe in G5, I just don't. I'm buying a WW book that does not have Diana Prince aka Diana of Themyscira as the title character. Diana hasn't been selling well to begin with why is this going to make a difference.

Snyder's Diana isn't narrating and only speaks like two lines, that's how important she is as the first hero. literally could replace WW with anyone here and it wouldn't make a difference.

overall 7/10

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
    masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tedirey: I'm not saying its bad and yea I prefer if the Amazons made all their weapons/armor/tools from amazonium, like in the golden age or Wakanda and vibranium. I just like the origin of Hephaestus forging the Bracelets of Submission using adamantine (unbreakable metal from greek myth) and the shards of Zeus's aegis. I just like the concept of Hephaestus forging Diana's armor in general, I think he would be a nice reoccurring character, didn't like what they did in Nu52 but... like the idea.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By dshipp17

I liked the Silver Swan story of the ones presented in this issue. Reminds a little of Rogue visiting Carol Danvers, during the end of the episode, A Rogue's Tale, from X-men TAS.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.