Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman #52 ***SPOILERS***

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

This took a corny Bronze Age villain and amped the interest level beyond ten. Awesome storytelling, though at times a bit jarring. Awkward phrasing abounds, but doesn't distract from intricate art that's amazing in it's complexity. There's some weird faces and bad hair that add to the realism and Diana is Gal Gadot then inexplicably switches to Kim Kardashian for a panel, but it's cool. The meat of the story is Wonder Woman filet mignon.

First you get plenty of backstory on Amazon history told simply. The Bana-Mighdall are Amazons betrayed by their gods, who left Paradise Island for a nomadic life under the Egyptian pantheon and they dislike the Themysciran Amazons for not leaving with them. It firmly establishes Artemis as the WW for Bana-Mighdall, Shim-Tar title or not. You also get that Artemis is a bitch to Diana at every opportunity, yet sees her as her superior, though she'd like to see her foot on Diana's neck.

No Caption Provided

The "Who Is Artemis?" arc in RHATO is still cannon and while Artemis has access to the Bow of Ra she doesn't have the necessary power to control it, at least as far as Diana is concerned.

Aztek was a snoozefest, no matter how many times her helmet was called 'cute' it just wasn't. Maybe if she had hair showing it could save it but her white and gold is a really bland design. That's okay though because missing Amazon aunt Atlanta made up for it. She was dope as hell.

No Caption Provided

The through-lines between her armor, Diana's and Artemis' are truly wonders to behold. All 3 have hinge armor boots, chest plates, head gear and bracelets, Artemis even has a lasso-like cord worn on her hip reminiscent of Diana. Like I said it's dope. It gives Amazons their own aesthetic.

This is a must have issue for anyone with a Wonder Woman collection. Steve Orlando is coming with the gold standard. There aren't enough accolades for it.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Archizooom

This was a little hard to read but overall I enjoyed it quite a bit, I may have to swallow my words. Just an fyi though, Artemis has wielded the Bow of Ra in Red Hood and the Outlaws, she is (or is poised to become) the Shim-Tar, though I suppose Diana doesn’t know that.

As a side note, I still despise the idea of Paradise Island thriving under the auspices of their “patrons”

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a little hard to read but overall I enjoyed it quite a bit, I may have to swallow my words. Just an fyi though, Artemis has wielded the Bow of Ra in Red Hood and the Outlaws, she is (or is poised to become) the Shim-Tar, though I suppose Diana doesn’t know that.

As a side note, I still despise the idea of Paradise Island thriving under the auspices of their “patrons”

Thanks for the info! I haven't read RHATO since Diana appeared and it was so long ago the particulars of the story are a little hazy. Can Artemis retain her sanity after using the bow or will she eventually go nuts with power like Akila?

I too wish the Themyscirans were more autonomous like the Bana. Their patrons haven't been very kind to them historically and the Bana's ways make more sense to me. It's sort of similar to the X-Men and Magneto's MLK and Malcolm X analogy, but DC's version. I'm all for making your way in the world and demanding respect, as opposed to sitting in Paradise and hoping the world comes around to your way of thinking.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I am thinking Artemis, despite all her foul-mouthing of her otherwise, might have a bit of a fancy for Aztek.

Anyways I think it was a decent read even if I dont recall Atalanta, or really buy into how she ended up on the doorstep of Aztek heaven. It does however confirm that this Diana must be thousands of years old to actually remember her.

Regarding Artemis and the bow... I dont really know why she'd pick that out when she got a sodding great axe strapped to her back.

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
    masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this issue.

• Atalanta, though never an amazon in myth, was BADASS loved everything about her. (though she should have a spear, she hunted the Calydonian boar after all)

She's really cool if you guys want more info on her...

Loading Video...
    • Loved that Orlando recognized how powerful Diana was having Artemis state they couldn't fight at full power because of the walls being to close and Diana just blitzes the Nagual through one.
    • "Tezcatlipoca the god of the nocturnal sky, the Great Bear constellation, ancestral memory, time and the Lord of the North, the embodiment of change through conflict. Together with his eternal opposite Quetzalcoatl, he created the world." Dude is insanely powerful and it seems we are getting advance Aztec tech with our all powerful creator gods, so I hope this guy stays as a reoccurring villain.
    • Diana had a perfect voice, something she desperately needed after Robinson's "run".
    • Artemis's interaction with Diana was spot on, conflict over their differences was easily made, establishing the Bana as more aggressive and believing Themisycraian's too pampered. Diana more so being regal.
    • This felt like the WW story we should have had for a long time.

The one thing I didn't like was the artwork. Someone like Jim Lee or V Ken Marion, basically an action artist should be drawing this.

A nitpick I have is her sword and shield just being on her back, I liked the idea in Nu52 where her weaponry could be summoned from her gauntlets. It emphasizes that her main tools are the Tiara, Gauntlets, and Lasso while her swords, spear, and shield, are secondary/only as a last resort option.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: She’s only used it once to strike down Akila but it’s said that only the Shim’Tar can wield the bow of Ra, and that it's chosen Artemis, the bow obeys her commands…as I understood it, Akila was driven mad because she wasn’t worthy of it

The patrons have been very kind, the Amazons owe everything they have to the Gods, their peaceful way of life is only possible through their providence. There’s nothing to be learned from them

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

@archizooom said:

@scorpio_cassadine: She’s only used it once to strike down Akila but it’s said that only the Shim’Tar can wield the bow of Ra, and that it's chosen Artemis, the bow obeys her commands…as I understood it, Akila was driven mad because she wasn’t worthy of it

The patrons have been very kind, the Amazons owe everything they have to the Gods, their peaceful way of life is only possible through their providence. There’s nothing to be learned from them

Since Rebirth the gods have been cool, but just in the New 52 Hera turned the Amazons into snakes and Hippolyta to stone. Before Flashpoint Themyscira had been destroyed 2 or 3 times and invaded several with their patrons asleep at the wheel, or even responsible like when Hera kicked their floating Paradise into the sea. The gods are capricious, shady characters and it makes sense some Amazons would get fed up and leave. With their Princess and greatest champion being the daughter of Zeus (hack, cough) you'd think she'd get some kind of special treatment where she's allowed to go home and visit her mother, but nah the gods don't care. That alone would make me question my allegiance if I were a Themysciran.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

More pre-crisis resurrected material; Wonder Woman has resurrected her catchphrase, Great Hera; looks like the action starts next; the dynamic between this version of Artemis and this version of Wonder Woman is similar to the dynamic between Sabretooth and Wolverine; I like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.