Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8804 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman #45 spoilers/discussion

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

So it's the end of the story left for Robinson to tell about Diana, Grail and Jason.

And kinda like previous issues the resolution is kinda meh with a dash of rubbish, and to me unfulfilling with these characters:

• Jason, he can pass through Darksied's portal because his feet never touched Themyscira's ground. Which doesn't make any sense as a barrier since Grail was litterally left on the ground when she was born. Once over Jason does what he does best, distracts someone, has a brief meeting with Hippolyta who instantly recognizes him hands him a spear and sends him away again.
    • Grail, busy with transforming the Amazons she has the misfortune of running into Hippolyta, only to get immediately distracted by Jason and knocked over the head with the flat of a spear. So much for the League-buster... and may Ares enjoy her company, since they are now both stuck in the tree with matching cuffs.
    • Darkseid, still an unimpressive fridge that just knocks Diana around most of the time while rumbling about how she cant beat him... right up to the point where Diana literally goes up to him and says: 'I want my father, my brothers and sisters in there know that I love them.' And whoosh, all the ghost fly out of Darksied and he vanishes to walk around on a beach without knowing who he is.
    • Diana... well as the bit-part player this book has turned her into, all she does it wail on Darkseid uselessly before the mentioned deus ex moment happens and all is well.
    • Everyone else: Darkseid's ghoulies and Furies run away, the transformed Amazons become docile but don't change back and Steve+ARGUS is just there to add bodies and shout encouragements.

Overall it looks pretty. But the end of this just makes me sad Robinson is still going to be writing after No Justice, but maybe with the mandatory Jason/Grail story now over things can get to be somewhat more interesting with the next selection of deities showing up.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

They way she beat Darkseid was nonsense.

They can give Jason some spotlight he seem to have potential maybe a new titan.

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
    masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By masterwitcher88

I've never been so disappointed in a WW run before. All the potential of a WW vs Darkseid story, just thrown down the drain.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By dshipp17

I like how creatively Wonder Woman defeated Darkseid by using the love of her family instead of Darkseid; basically, he failed by essentially toying with Wonder Woman instead of just taking her out with sufficient might, as he did in his state where he defeated Zeus; but Wonder Woman did block a couple omega beams with her bracelets to her credit, which would not have been considered improbable, had this been a non-PIS induced fight, but the Darseid vs Zeus was PIS to, so. However, at least in the case of Hippolyta, by explaining herself to Jason a bit, the desire to be separated from men because of the mistrust and hatred of men has been overturned as cannon; it's kind of remarkable that the Perez/Rucka group is still complaining; but, actually, I think it messes up the Jason character even more, as he had no resistance towards this explanation but started out with so much resentment for Wonder Woman for how Hippolyta treated him by abandoning him as a baby due to his gender; perhaps it was the new suit? And, also, for whatever reason those characters helped Jason is a mystery, as it apparently wasn't because of Darkseid (e.g. but it greatly resembles how Rucka redefined the Dr. Cyber character along the way to disagree with the fact that Dr. Cyber was merely a club character rather then a tech character when she was first introduced in pre-crisis times). And Darkseid's memory has been wiped too. Maybe DC Zeus's essence will somehow return him to life. A very interesting exchange between Grail and Ares at the end by comparing her to Aphrodite as away of describing his lack of sexual motive towards her. But, I think that New-52 and Rebirth is about to be retconned in July; will they now give Dr. Psycho more page time in the Wonder Woman comics, as well as more respect? Time will tell, again, just after Robinson brought him back to the Wonder Woman book.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
    IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Sounds trash. That's disappointing.

Lord_of_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So.....meh?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dshipp17

@lord_of_light said:

So.....meh?

It could be considered that way, but, I think mostly because they keep trying to make this statement, which is why Wonder Woman is still in the battle skirt well past the reasons that she ever went there, if there was ever actually a reason, at all, beyond getting Rucka to write her, and, also, for the reasons why Dr. Psycho has not started to have more page time in the Wonder Woman comics; Wonder Woman should be giving Dejah Thoris a run for her money, in terms of the costume, as opposed to being a charging into battle character which she wasn't in pre-crisis times or during the Messner-Loebs run, at least, during post-crisis times. Just end these efforts and the stories would get a lot better, although for the Marston and Messner-Loebs fans, but maybe not for the Perez and Rucka fans.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor said:

They way she beat Darkseid was nonsense.

It's actually pretty embarrassing and nonsense as well.

Lord_of_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17:

I see, so crap run in short words.

Though, they still didn't explain the whole black haired Hippolyta instance, i mean wasn't the blond Hippolyta the one who was with Zeus, the original Hippolyta created Diana from clay, it was even referenced in Priest's Justice League run, i am confused honestly.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mooty_pass: I hope they have a proper explanation for this. I know the whole purpose is to push the story forward for the team up with JL but the way they went about it.

Just no.

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17:

Though, they still didn't explain the whole black haired Hippolyta instance, i mean wasn't the blond Hippolyta the one who was with Zeus, the original Hippolyta created Diana from clay, it was even referenced in Priest's Justice League run, i am confused honestly.

Let's be real here, it's whatever DC wants the next day. I don't think they really care at this point. Whether it would be the clay origin or the Zeus origin.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More importantly I dont like what is happening to Darkseid.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@tensor said:

@mooty_pass: I hope they have a proper explanation for this. I know the whole purpose is to push the story forward for the team up with JL but the way they went about it.

Just no.

I agree.

I think they ran out of ideas and this "Power of Love" BS was like an excuse to hurry up and finish the fight. LOL. Wonder Woman is not being treated very well right now. She's been shot way to many times with no explanation as to why.......

masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@outside_85: @masterwitcher88: @mooty_pass: @tensor: The only thing this arc gave was some rushed concepts and some good feats for WW in the last issues. Hope is the last thing to lose. So i hope things get better because they are not doing much with her so far.

I hope so. I'm getting really tired of hating what should be my favorite book.

Lord_of_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's be real here, it's whatever DC wants the next day. I don't think they really care at this point. Whether it would be the clay origin or the Zeus origin.

So Diana's history is plain inconsistent nowdays, we know don't know what is right and what is wrong, i mean DC must clear that up for once and for all, i mean Rebirth has been going for a long time, they had enough of it to give proper narrative regarding this instance, but nope, still as confusing as it was.

masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truethemyscira said:

So Diana's history is plain inconsistent nowdays, we know don't know what is right and what is wrong, i mean DC must clear that up for once and for all, i mean Rebirth has been going for a long time, they had enough of it to give proper narrative regarding this instance, but nope, still as confusing as it was.

The Rebirth title isn't even sticking around anymore. Its being removed from future cover pages I believe.

Lord_of_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Rebirth title isn't even sticking around anymore. Its being removed from future cover pages I believe.

I thought Rebirth would stick till the end of Doomsday year, which is like around the end of the year, didn't think they'll leave it s soon....

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17:

I'd go with what's in Priest material, but, this will be going away in July I believe for another reboot thing.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

MFW I saw Wonder Woman defeat Darkseid with the power of love.

No Caption Provided

Post Crisis Wonder Woman did it better on Darkseid after Our Worlds at War. Robinson's run is a mediocre train wreck.

Lord_of_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

I'd go with what's in Priest material, but, this will be going away in July I believe for another reboot thing.

So clay origin is the better one, can't disagree with that one, and wait a minute another reboot?? Really?

Itachus17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Itachus17

No Caption Provided

Was Robinson on crack as he wrote this madness(and DC as they choose Robinson for WW and Priest for JL)?

Oh hey and Jason got a new spear...

masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By masterwitcher88

@itachus17: @lvenger: Its truly astounding. You have one of the four "pillars" of DC and the most iconic female superhero of all time. The Thanos before Thanos both in one book. And this is the end result? DC editorial took one look at that and was like "Yup, we are ok publishing this."

FUCK. ME.

Well, at least Diana got some nice albeit scaling feats before the BS. So, I'm not fumingly pissed off.

Avatar image for deactivated-6264b2a061084
    deactivated-6264b2a061084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think DC editorial just skipped this one. Let it go straight to printing.

I can never unsee the 'Damsel in distress' pose that Darkseid gave when Diana went to him and I don't know what she did in that panel but looked like some hocus pocus and beat him with love.

The way Hippolyta reacted when she saw Jason for the first time was so fake. My reaction was the exact one that Grail had.

The only thing worthwhile(if you can call it that) that happened I think is that the amazon parademons that were left outside will hopefully turn back and then Diana will have some amazons to interact with.

Edit: Even the love thing was so fake. Steve reminded her about it and Diana just went, dang it, thats it. I love my family (she doesn't even know half of them).

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CSG_CL

@lvenger said:

No Caption Provided

Post Crisis Wonder Woman did it better on Darkseid after Our Worlds at War. Robinson's run is a mediocre train wreck.

No Caption Provided

LOL ... this ... totally agree ... Post-Crisis version for the win.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel bad for Darkseid.

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
    Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @lvenger said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

LOL ... this ... totally agree ... Post-Crisis version for the win.

Wow Post Crisis version was fantastic

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraldofvengerberg: Yes she was ... total badass that didn't always use her fists (or that stupid sword) to do the talking

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@geraldofvengerberg: Yes she was ... total badass that didn't always use her fists (or that stupid sword) to do the talking

And we got that all taken away from us

No Caption Provided

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

And we got that all taken away from us

No Caption Provided

LOL ... there have been a few bright spots over the last few years, but not nearly enough!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.