Wonder Woman 2: Movie Discussion Thread

#352 Posted by agent41 (15865 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: No. I'm basing it off of what I know about Patty Jenkins. I don't think I can convince you of anything at the moment. If the movie comes out and Patty surprises me then I'll take back everything I've said.

I see. You are saying that you don't trust that the film will have powerful action because of the results of the first film. To know that we will have to wait and see. There is no point in losing ourselves in negativity.

#354 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: Yes. That's why I was saying that we will see. She could prove me wrong. It's not just about power levels though but choreography. I don't just want powerful characters but great choreography (arguably more important). Cheetah has the potential but we will see.

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
#355 Edited by Geraldofvengerberg (651 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity said:

@agent41: No. I'm basing it off of what I know about Patty Jenkins. I don't think I can convince you of anything at the moment. If the movie comes out and Patty surprises me then I'll take back everything I've said.

I find a lot of things in movie troubling.

1) Steve Trevor being back

They are going to waste a lot of time doing fish out of the water with Steve Trevor as they did with Diana in the first movie. Also, is Maxwell Lord resurrecting Steve? I don't know This was an excellent situation to introduce Hades, Circe or Gods. They still should not be the primary villain

2) Kristen Wiig as Cheetah

Kristen Wiig is a great actress but I wish they brought someone who can help WW in Box office probably a Chinese actress to help WW in China

Patty is not the only problem. The Script was already written by DC including Geoff Johns and Zach Synder. So WW not flying and not being powerful, killing Gods off, Amazons being pathetic and stuck in 300 BC was all planned by DC before they even had a director. Also, WW's budget is nowhere near Aquaman or Man of Steel.

But Thanks to Success of WW, Patty has the power to change it in WW84. Will she save WW from DC and make her powerful like Superman is in movies or is she going to continue treatment DC is giving to WW. We have to wait for for the trailer. It may release this year June or July considering how earlier trailers were released.

#356 Posted by RavenVice01 (4484 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: for wonder woman, it needed more enchantment and mythos attached. Like cyclops, furies or minotaurs appearing in the trenches. Dr. Poison was a good choice but they could have used Ares children to spread discord and fear.

#357 Edited by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: It definitely needed more Greek Myth creatures and stuff. Not only would this have been awesome it would have vastly improved the movies box office. Wonder Woman did well in the states but not so much overseas. Had it had of 30/70 or even 40/70 split of domestic vs international at the box office, it would have been the DCEU's first billion picture. Look at Aquaman, for example, it had a ton of flashy visuals and pretty CGI and as a result it did bonkers overseas, especially in China. Fact is international audiences want captivating visuals. Something that sets the movie apart. However most of those problems could be partially blamed on the limited budget the movie was given.

Also more actions scenes would have helped. Aquaman had a ton of well choreographed action scenes while Wonder woman barely had any. This helps because movies like Wonder Woman end up getting boring at times while Aquaman keeps the audience captivated.

#358 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@geraldofvengerberg: Yea, considering how early the trailer for the first movie came out, it shouldn't be long before we see one for WW84. Since they claim to be following the same release strategy as the first and the fact that production already wrapped up, we might get (most likely) the first trailer at San Diego Comic con.

#359 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

Also considering Diana was more powerful and arguably more skillful in BvS than she was in her solo movie, really gives you cause for concern. She dropped a level in her solo movie and even further in Justice League. We'll see what happens though

#360 Edited by agent41 (15865 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity said:

@ravenvice01: It definitely needed more Greek Myth creatures and stuff. Not only would this have been awesome it would have vastly improved the movies box office. Wonder Woman did well in the states but not so much overseas. Had it had of 30/70 or even 40/70 split of domestic vs international at the box office, it would have been the DCEU's first billion picture. Look at Aquaman, for example, it had a ton of flashy visuals and pretty CGI and as a result it did bonkers overseas, especially in China. Fact is international audiences want captivating visuals. Something that sets the movie apart. However most of those problems could be partially blamed on the limited budget the movie was given.

Also more actions scenes would have helped. Aquaman had a ton of well choreographed action scenes while Wonder woman barely had any. This helps because movies like Wonder Woman end up getting boring at times while Aquaman keeps the audience captivated.

Wonder Woman did well overseas. If they have learned anything from the dceu. Then they should improve the action and GCI for the sequele. That will help more in the international market. We'll see.

#361 Posted by RavenVice01 (4484 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: totally agree with u said between aquaman and ww. Do u wanna follow each other?

#362 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio
#363 Edited by TrueThemyscira (386 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie is going to be worse than the first one. I can already see it.

The underwhelming sets, the decrease in power, the constant nerfing, corny dialogue (especially with Cheetah)...

Wonder Woman deserves better!

#364 Posted by Tedirey (2858 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#365 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: so you enjoy street level fights more than high tier fights due to skill?

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#366 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio

TrueT once again.

#367 Edited by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_living_tribunal_24: I'm not a fan of street fighter. But Akuma is an island buster if I'm not mistaken so that's impressive but based on BvS scaling Diana should be above that.

But what I want is good fight choreography (at least better than we got in the first). Wonder Woman is described as DC's greatest warrior, it's about time I watched one fight scene (at least one) that showcased it. By that, I mean I don't want her to be a lady Shiva (a lot of skill with little power) or a Superman (a lot of power with little skill). I want a good balance. Patty might have been limited in the first movie as to how powerful Diana could be but I was also hoping for more skillwise.

Superman as DC's premiere powerhouse should have impressive feats of power

Batman as their greatest detective should be have impressive detective skills

Diana should have revolutionary fight choreography as the greatest warrior.

That's all.

Because Diana is based in Greek Myth, she also should have had more mythological creatures in her movie. Arthur is DC's premiere Aquatic character and thanks to Wan, he got amazing visual effects, cool seas creatures and Aquatic feats. I want something similar for all leaguers, especially Diana.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#368 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17147 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: she was inexperienced in her solo movie vs BvS. As for Justice League, that whole film was a mess.

#369 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness: That doesn't justify the lack of good fight scenes (Patty's responsiblity) or lack of Greek lore and impressive visuals (Zack, Patty and WB's fault)

#370 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17147 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: I think it did have good fight scenes, the last fight was underwhelming but overall the fight scenes weren’t bad. I was entertained watching the Warehouse fight, the training scene, no man’s land etc. It was literally only the Ares fight that was bad and I feel you’re calling the fights bad because she wasn’t as powerful as you expected her to be. I never felt like the visuals were bad either as for lack of Greek lore, it was implemented when necessary.

#371 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness: I didn't say they were bad. Only the Ares fight could qualify as bad but even that wasn't terrible. It's just that they could have been a lot better. I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again, I don't need Diana to throw planets. Considering who Diana is, I feel they should have been better. But they were not bad at all. If Wonder Woman had more mythological creatures and lore it probably would have done better overseas and would have done alot to establish the type of character Wonder woman is that's all I'll say about that.

#372 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17147 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: you’re 100% right and these are things the sequel needs to do.

#373 Posted by agent41 (15865 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: @ready_4_madness: With the sequele we will see if they learned from past mistakes. They need better action scenes and CGI for Wonder Woman 1984.

#374 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

Any thoughts on the new poster?

#375 Posted by NathanTheCynic (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Any thoughts on the new poster?

Gal Gadot looks amazing as always, and it looks way better than the comic version of the armor.

Avatar image for theriogodofrage
#376 Posted by TherioGodofRage (85 posts) - - Show Bio
#377 Edited by Archizooom (2175 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the poster but she looks like C-3PO, I'm not loving the costume. I noticed she’s not wearing the tiara which probably means she’ll wear a helmet with that, I’ll reserve judgment till I see the complete look in motion

#378 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio
#379 Edited by TobyMaguire (743 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like something they borrowed from Aquaman. They are going to fully armour Diana than use her skills and super speed to fight Cheetah.

Just when I taught the worst thing they can do is give Diana is a Shield

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#380 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (5785 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks pretty trash tbh. Looks too much like Aquaman

#381 Posted by dshipp17 (5585 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that it's looking like the battle skirt is gone; hopefully, DC is continuing to navigate away from this New 52/Rebirth stuff and back to the point we left off in post-crisis.

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
#382 Posted by masterwitcher88 (1401 posts) - - Show Bio

It's bad not gonna lie. I'll reserve full judgement till I see it in action, but first impression is lackluster.

#383 Posted by comicfan_60 (410 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the look of the suit too much either. It looks lackluster compared to the original golden eagle armor.

#384 Edited by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

When I first saw it, I didn't care for it. But it's kind of growing on me. I had read rumours that she was going to wear the Eagle golden armour in the movie. And while I don't think it's an adaptation of the Eagle armour, this particular armour looks much better imo. It's less bulky and thus makes more sense to wear in battle. But it lacks the "majestic look" the other one had. It looks like a tacky striper outfit.

It's also just nice to have a change for a little while. It's definitely not something that's going to be that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. The decision was probably partially made because DC wants to sell more toys and costumes.

Unfortunately, with it came some bad news (rumours though). I heard that Patty Jenkins fired all the people that worked on the fight scenes in the first movie and apparently that's why the leaked mall scene wasn't even decent (it was below average). Hopefully that's not the case but Patty Jenkins' interviews aren't feeling me with confidence. I really hope this isn't the case cause I'd rather not have a WW movie than getting something with atrocious fight scenes.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
#385 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (2124 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity:

For those that haven't seen it yet.

No Caption Provided

I appreciate the bird on her chest and how the shoulder details are it's wings but I hate the mesh parts. They make it look as if it were designed without them and they put gold long johns under all the rest.

Overall it's not Wonder Woman-like enough. There are a lot of missed opportunities to add double-W's, intertwined with the bird is one and her waist is another.

Judging from this image it's a fail. It's like they're overcompensating for the first movie not being gay enough, by making the second one as glitzy and shiny as a float in the Las Vegas Pride parade.

#386 Edited by agent41 (15865 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity said:

When I first saw it, I didn't care for it. But it's kind of growing on me. I had read rumours that she was going to wear the Eagle golden armour in the movie. And while I don't think it's an adaptation of the Eagle armour, this particular armour looks much better imo. It's less bulky and thus makes more sense to wear in battle. But it lacks the "majestic look" the other one had. It looks like a tacky striper outfit.

It's also just nice to have a change for a little while. It's definitely not something that's going to be that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. The decision was probably partially made because DC wants to sell more toys and costumes.

Unfortunately, with it came some bad news (rumours though). I heard that Patty Jenkins fired all the people that worked on the fight scenes in the first movie and apparently that's why the leaked mall scene wasn't even decent (it was below average). Hopefully that's not the case but Patty Jenkins' interviews aren't feeling me with confidence. I really hope this isn't the case cause I'd rather not have a WW movie than getting something with atrocious fight scenes.

I don't remember much going on in the leaked mall scene. But the fight scenes in the first movie were not that good either. So i will have to wait untill i see the fight scenes in Wonder Woman 1984 to judge them properly.

#387 Posted by agent41 (15865 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like something they borrowed from Aquaman. They are going to fully armour Diana than use her skills and super speed to fight Cheetah.

Just when I taught the worst thing they can do is give Diana is a Shield

We don't know the context in which this armor will happen. If Cheetah is the main villain and she needs it, that would mean that Cheetah is very powerful.

But i never thought i'd see you complaining about power levels. Wonder Woman is a character with girl power as one of the themes that created her back in 1941, and that is why she performed great feats of power in Marston run. And you always seemed upset about things like girl power in movies.

#388 Posted by agent41 (15865 posts) - - Show Bio

It's bad not gonna lie. I'll reserve full judgement till I see it in action, but first impression is lackluster.

I don't really hate it but don't like it either.

#389 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: Overall, I think it could be a lot worse. If it has some impressive mystical properties, then that could improve my opinion of it.

#390 Posted by agent41 (15865 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: Overall, I think it could be a lot worse. If it has some impressive mystical properties, then that could improve my opinion of it.

The problm i have is that i like the first movie because of the story, the way we see Diana grow, how she interacts with people and learn. The action is not the strong point of that movie at all. Which is why i can't judge the action scenes of the new movie until i see them.

#391 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: The character development and Diana's personality were good. I don't doubt Patty can deliver a decent story with decent character development.

What I have a problem with is the second part (The action/ fight scenes). I would personally rather have a decent story with great fight scenes than vice versa. The main reason I like WW is cause of the potential she has as a combatant that I'm yet to see on screen. While I know it's too early to judge, Patty J has clearly implied that she isn't a fan of Diana fighting other people. I'm not even necessarily worried that the fight scenes won't be any better than the first movie but mostly because I'm worried they'll be worse. I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has no fight scenes.

There might be fans that would be happy with a movie in which she hugs Cheetah and defeats her by letting Cheetah cry in her arms but I'm not one of them.

I'm trying to tell myself that won't be the case. I assume since she married a martial artist, Patty doesn't hate martial arts. But based on what she's said and the rumours I've heard. Things aren't looking good.

#392 Edited by agent41 (15865 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity said:

@agent41: The character development and Diana's personality were good. I don't doubt Patty can deliver a decent story with decent character development.

What I have a problem with is the second part (The action/ fight scenes). I would personally rather have a decent story with great fight scenes than vice versa. The main reason I like WW is cause of the potential she has as a combatant that I'm yet to see on screen. While I know it's too early to judge, Patty J has clearly implied that she isn't a fan of Diana fighting other people. I'm not even necessarily worried that the fight scenes won't be any better than the first movie but mostly because I'm worried they'll be worse. I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has no fight scenes.

There might be fans that would be happy with a movie in which she hugs Cheetah and defeats her by letting Cheetah cry in her arms but I'm not one of them.

I'm trying to tell myself that won't be the case. I assume since she married a martial artist, Patty doesn't hate martial arts. But based on what she's said and the rumours I've heard. Things aren't looking good.

I understand. But remember this. Wonder Woman has been underwhelming in the action area for a while in the comics as well. I do want to see epic action. But i don't get that in the comics, so i'm not surprised if i don't get that in the movies. I don't know why DC always does so little with her. It's like they only do the bare minimun. With Patty at least i know i can get a well writen story and character development. DC hasn't even done that with most of her comic appearances this decade.

What rumours did you hear?

#393 Edited by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: True. The comics are lacking, especially recently but I think she has had some cool moments in recent years. For example, the times she has used her skill to sense and predict movement while blind. Diana is one of the most well rounded characters from a power and skill perspective and once in a while she shows off a hint of that in comics and I'd like to see a hint of it in movies.

I think Patty wasn't the best choice for WW. She would have been great for a character like Supes and probably would have given us some amazing stories. But Diana isn't her character. At least not without an experienced director/ writer to guide her.

#394 Posted by agent41 (15865 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: True. The comics are lacking, especially recently but I think she has had some cool moments in recent years. For example, the times she has used her skill to sense and predict movement while blind. Diana is one of the most well rounded characters from a power and skill perspective and once in a while she shows off a hint of that in comics and I'd like to see a hint of it in movies.

I think Patty wasn't the best choice for WW. She would have been great for a character like Supes and probably would have given us some amazing stories. But Diana isn't her character. At least not without an experienced director/ writer to guide her.

Some moments maybe. But nothing on the level she used to be before 2011.

Well geof is not the best guy t ¿o guide when it comes to WW. But we'll see.

What rumours did you hear about the movie?

#395 Edited by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: Yea. But honestly I'm willing to take that over what I'm afraid of.

From what I heard she and Geoff disagreed about certain things. That's why he's barely working on it anymore.

I've mentioned them before. The most recent one was that Patty fired everyone that worked on the first movie including the fight choreographers and as a result the full mall action scene was lacking. But you've heard the rest.

Hopefully the rumoured reshoots included someone that understands the character going through the movie.

#396 Posted by agent41 (15865 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: geoff is part of the decline Wonder Woman has suffered in the comics. I don't want that guy close to the character.

The fight scenes. I will have to see them first to judge them. It'd be disappointing to have bad action. But knowing some of the things DC has done to the character. Lacking action is far from the worse.

I don't remember the rest of the rumours.

#397 Edited by Archizooom (2175 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing that Wonder Woman is armouring up for this movie, I’m expecting a huge battle, possibly against the OMACs who fit the 1984/Orwellian/ Brother Eye/ mass surveillance theme and tie in with Maxwell Lord. The Bana Mighdall get involved somehow and it’s basically a mash up of Wonder Woman vol.2 33-35 by Perez and Infinite Crisis when the OMACs attacked Paradise Island

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
#398 Posted by masterwitcher88 (1401 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing that Wonder Woman is armouring up for this movie, I’m expecting a huge battle, possibly against the OMACs who fit the 1984/Orwellian/ Brother Eye/ mass surveillance theme and tie in with Maxwell Lord. The Bana Mighdall get involved somehow and it’s basically a mash up of Wonder Woman vol.2 33-35 by Perez and Infinite Crisis when the OMACs attacked Paradise Island

I really hope this is the case.

#399 Posted by Kevinffinity (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizooom: Honestly it could simply be that WW keeps getting hit by stray bullets and thus needs full body armour.

Or she keeps getting scratched by cheetah and thus instead of overcoming her superior speed with skill she gets full body armour

I wouldn't get my hopes up

But there is a possibility that at some point during the movie she'll realise that she doesn't need the armour (for some reason). The fact that they've revealed it this early means it might not play a big role in the movie. Plus in a vid about the first movie Patty said that Diana has mental blocks that make her think her power is in her weapons.

But she also said at some point that she wanted WW to come to the present day in her second movie so can't trust what she says.

I like your suggestion. It would be awesome to have a large scale battle. I wouldn't want Maxwell Lord to be involved though cause I'd like him to be saved for a possible sacrifice storyline.

#400 Edited by TrueThemyscira (386 posts) - - Show Bio

The fight/action scenes in the first movie were lackluster, to say the least. For this, I just don’t see the Cheetah as one of those knock down fights. WW needs to display her power and I don’t think Cheetah is the best villain for that. Besides, she has been knocked out by Batman and Catwoman so that should tell us what the writers think of WWs villains. They get treated terribly by writers. Consistency is also key and WW hasn’t really had much of that as of late.

As for the armor, it not bad but it’s not great either. It’s definitely better than the Eagle armor from the comics though IMO, which I always thought was hideous and ugly. Less bulky, more simple design in comparison.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.