Wonder Woman 2: Movie Discussion Thread

#301 Posted by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: That's very optimistic. While I want to believe more time would equate to better actions scenes/ story that's not necessarily the case. I don't mind them taking their time but I wouldn't put my hopes up.

The action scenes in the first WW were good not great. This is important because it's possible that Zack helped Jenkins out with those sequences. Patty doesn't have alot of experience with action so I worry that without Snyder, the fight scenes could be worse. And as good as the first movie was, the "best fighter" in the DCU deserves better. I think Patty is going to need help with that.

It's also possible that the push back was due to studio interference.

I'm not saying that the push back is bad news but that there are two sides to it.

Personally, I've been hoping that WW84 plays like Cap America Winter Soldier in terms of quality and quantity action sequences.

#302 Posted by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: I have no reason to be pessimistic either. Now VFX has more time to polish their CGI.

Avatar image for theriogodofrage
#303 Edited by TherioGodofRage (86 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

I hope her source is either a liar, is stupid, or she's just saying this stuff for clicks. Cause if this is true in the slightest, my already dampened excitement for this movie will officially be non-existent.

#304 Posted by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

Loading Video...

I hope her source is either a liar, is stupid, or she's just saying this stuff for clicks. Cause if this is true in the slightest, my already dampened excitement for this movie will officially be non-existent.

dampened because of date change? That doesn't mean the film won't be good.

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
#305 Posted by Geraldofvengerberg (665 posts) - - Show Bio

@theriogodofrage: Why it makes sense to reboot DC Universe in a Wonder Woman movie?

#306 Posted by TherioGodofRage (86 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:
@theriogodofrage said:
Loading Video...

dampened because of date change? That doesn't mean the film won't be good.

The date change doesn't matter to me at all. There are a variety of reasons do to set leaks and official new releases that have dampened my excitement for this movie.

@geraldofvengerberg: The rebooting part doesn't bother me, and yes, does make some sense. What bothers me is that WB/DC has this habit of wasting individual character stories in the worst way. Like wasting the Death of Superman in BvS.

Say what you will about the Flashpoint story and the ramifications of said story, it "worked" due to established history of DC, plus Flash as a character learned and grow from the story cause he learned and/or accepted the dangers his powers and his abuse of them could bring. That's gone now if this is true.

#307 Posted by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@theriogodofrage: I hope so too but unfortunately this sounds like the kind of thing Waner and Patty would do. Patty is the kind of director that would have Diana use the "power of love" to pull Steve from the underworld. Or something equally ridiculous.

I don't mind them rebooting the DCEU but I really hope they don't do it in the way she's proposing.

The good news is that it leaves room for Wonder woman to develop beyond that poor portrayal in JL. But while Patty is a good director, I don't think she's the best choice to develop Wonder woman.

#308 Edited by TherioGodofRage (86 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: I agree. I liked 2/3 of the first movie, but even still, I personally don't think Patty Jenkins is a good action director nor a good world builder. Maybe she'll prove me wrong with this next movie, but as of right now, I'm not holding my breath.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#311 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17592 posts) - - Show Bio
#312 Posted by RavenVice01 (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterwitcher88: the movie wrapped up production today. I'm still on the fence about Chris pine playing Steve Trevor. My money is on this being a publicity stunt to promote Hal Jordan. If u think back when batman insulted wonder woman by dredging up her dead boyfriend, she gets angry enough to almost beat his head in.

One could assume that he is still dead and hal Jordan is the great grand nephew of Steve Trevor. On the off chance I'm wrong and Steve does pop up again in the sequel, it seems like an empty role because he is destined to die again. He will become the South Park Kenny of DCEU...you bastards. LoL

#313 Edited by KingLouie (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as it's not a snooze fest like the first.

#314 Edited by Geraldofvengerberg (665 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01 said:

@masterwitcher88: the movie wrapped up production today. I'm still on the fence about Chris pine playing Steve Trevor. My money is on this being a publicity stunt to promote Hal Jordan. If u think back when batman insulted wonder woman by dredging up her dead boyfriend, she gets angry enough to almost beat his head in.

One could assume that he is still dead and hal Jordan is the great grand nephew of Steve Trevor. On the off chance I'm wrong and Steve does pop up again in the sequel, it seems like an empty role because he is destined to die again. He will become the South Park Kenny of DCEU...you bastards. LoL

Aquaman already ignored Justice League so WW84 may also ignore JL and BvS about Steve Trevor being dead. She is already doing superhero work in public ignoring canon she left humanity for 100 years.

#315 Posted by RavenVice01 (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

@geraldofvengerberg: they didn't ignore the JL movie in Aquaman. Mera brings up the fact that Aquaman and his friends defeated Steppenwolf. She makes this reference when Arthur and his dad leave the tavern. I'm curious as to how they will mask Wonder Woman's efforts during the film. For all we know Circe may cast some enchantment that makes everyone forget what transpired for some pending insidious plot.

#316 Posted by TherioGodofRage (86 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: Is Circe in this movie? I've only heard of Cheetah and Maxwell Lord. I hope that's it. I don't trust DC with 3 villains in a movie. Hel, Aquaman barely handled 2.

#317 Posted by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: Is Circe in this movie? I've only heard of Cheetah and Maxwell Lord. I hope that's it. I don't trust DC with 3 villains in a movie. Hel, Aquaman barely handled 2.

She could be moving the string behind the curtains. That would give them a lot of possibilities to work with and avoid plot holes.

#318 Edited by RavenVice01 (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

@theriogodofrage: the thing about Aquaman is they wanted to pump up Black Manta for follow ups because he can be a part of the Suicide Squad or be the lead villain in a sequel where as Orm is kind of one dimensional. His master plan is always to wage war with the surface world and rule Atlantis while Black Manta is a mercenary who can work for the highest bidder despite his constant vendetta toward Aquaman.

Please tell me Pedro Pascal isn't playing Maxwell Lord. If that is the case then they have made two bad casting calls. Wiig as Cheetah was a poor choice. Pascal could have played Sebastian Ballesteros. Circe could be a substitute for Urzkartaga who imbues the Cheetah with power

#319 Posted by RavenVice01 (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: that is some smart thinking about Circe. Circe could go by many names throughout history including Urzkartaga who imbues the Cheetah with power

#320 Edited by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: Circe can work very well as a behind the scene villain for the sequele. Usually in the comics her plans take time to develop. So the potential there is big.

Kristen Wiig can act and has done well with roles outside comedy. I don't think we should judge any of the actors until we see the film.

#321 Posted by TherioGodofRage (86 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: That's my whole issue. It sounds good on paper, but I don't trust DC/WB to have a "player behind the scenes" character while having two villains up front.

#322 Edited by TherioGodofRage (86 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: 95% sure it's been confirmed that Pedro is playing Maxwell Lord.

#323 Posted by RavenVice01 (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

@theriogodofrage: oh well we will just have to wait and see how things pan out. I would like to see Maxie Zeus interact with Wonder Woman in a movie. Jenkins could say Zeus' essence lived on through his avatar.

#324 Posted by RavenVice01 (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: the same thing was said about Eisenberg before we saw his portrayal of Luthor. I was hoping they would replace Eisenberg with someone else for Luthor. They should have picked Billy Zane in the first place for Luthor after Superman Returns failed.

#325 Posted by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: the same thing was said about Eisenberg before we saw his portrayal of Luthor. I was hoping they would replace Eisenberg with someone else for Luthor. They should have picked Billy Zane in the first place for Luthor after Superman Returns failed.

Wonder Woman first film didn't do bad, when some people thought it would because of Gal Gadot being casted. There have been many actors who were considered great casting desissions that ended up in disappointment. Nobody can know if an actor will do a good job until we see the film.

#326 Posted by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally hope they make Diana the goddess of something. Since they plan on sticking with the baby of Zeus origin.

I really hope Pascal isn't playing Lord. But according to rumours, he is. There was a rumour that Diana made a deal with a god then at some point that rumour changed to Pascal's character making the deal.

The fact that they've wrapped up production kind of implies that those rumours that they were reworking the script were false. Some claimed that WW84 was going to reboot the DCEU through Diana's actions.

#327 Posted by RavenVice01 (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: u make valid points. Do u wanna follow each other?

#328 Posted by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio
#329 Posted by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: @masterwitcher88: Interesting. It sounds good imo. What do you think.

https://comicbook.com/dc/amp/2019/01/14/wonder-woman-1984-steve-trevor-return-rumor/

#330 Posted by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really not a fan of the rumour about how Steve Trevor returns. I still have no hype for WW84 as I am yet to hear/ read anything good about the movie. This news is just another string in a Web of disappointment. Anyway hopefully James Wan/ Snyder will help her out with the action scenes.

#331 Edited by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity said:

I'm really not a fan of the rumour about how Steve Trevor returns. I still have no hype for WW84 as I am yet to hear/ read anything good about the movie. This news is just another string in a Web of disappointment. Anyway hopefully James Wan/ Snyder will help her out with the action scenes.

Why?

And how can you ssay you haven't read anythig good if we barely know anything about the film? I don't know how you can dislike it so much when we know almost nothing about it.

#332 Posted by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: There have been a lot of rumours and some confirmations about the film. The rumours include Pascal playing Maxwell Lord, multiple ways Steve could return, the invisible jet etc. Things that have been confirmed include Steve Trevor returning, Cheetah being the main villain, the movie taking place in 1984 etc. Considering the movie is still almost a year and a half away, we've heard/ read a lot about it. For a time it felt like the movie was being written and reworked right infront of me.

About the rumour on how Steve Trevor returns, I was just hoping for something...bigger. Cheetah is a great villain and she has been Diana's premiere villain for a while but It's just that I personally don't think she's enough. The return of Steve implied that there was a powerful force other than Cheetah which would allow Diana to show off her "powerhouse side". I know the movie could still be a great personal story about Barbara's struggle/ Maxwell's obsessions, I was just hoping for more.

I'm not saying that this rumour guarantees that the movie is bad, it's just not exactly good news or something that fills me with hope. So far it seems like the movie is going to be decent. I'm naturally pessimistic cause I don't want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed (Case in point: Justice League).

Note: they could still introduce Urzkataga but it's unlikely

#333 Posted by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: There have been a lot of rumours and some confirmations about the film. The rumours include Pascal playing Maxwell Lord, multiple ways Steve could return, the invisible jet etc. Things that have been confirmed include Steve Trevor returning, Cheetah being the main villain, the movie taking place in 1984 etc. Considering the movie is still almost a year and a half away, we've heard/ read a lot about it. For a time it felt like the movie was being written and reworked right infront of me.

About the rumour on how Steve Trevor returns, I was just hoping for something...bigger. Cheetah is a great villain and she has been Diana's premiere villain for a while but It's just that I personally don't think she's enough. The return of Steve implied that there was a powerful force other than Cheetah which would allow Diana to show off her "powerhouse side". I know the movie could still be a great personal story about Barbara's struggle/ Maxwell's obsessions, I was just hoping for more.

I'm not saying that this rumour guarantees that the movie is bad, it's just not exactly good news or something that fills me with hope. So far it seems like the movie is going to be decent. I'm naturally pessimistic cause I don't want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed (Case in point: Justice League).

Actually, we haven't heard much. Just the basics of the characters that the cast will be playing.

And if they have cells in the brain. They will make good use of Cheetah, a character powered up by a God. To give us some powerhouse level action. Cheetah is supposed to be powerful. We'll see.

#334 Posted by Archizooom (2186 posts) - - Show Bio

In the sizzle reel that WB showed at CinemaCon, Patty Jenkins said Wonder Woman would "face incredible odds" and as she uttered that, they put up an image of Cheetah on the screen. They also showed concept art of Wonder Woman wearing armour and I recall seeing set photos of Diana all slashed up in a street in Washington DC. So all that points to Cheetah being quite a formidable opponent for Wonder Woman which is music to my ears, I'm afraid I might have already pitched my expectations too high

#335 Edited by Geraldofvengerberg (665 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity said:

Why introduce a third villain and waste Cheetah? Why not portray Cheetah as a powerhouse character?

#336 Edited by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@geraldofvengerberg said:
@kevinffinity said:

Why introduce a third villain and waste Cheetah? Why not portray Cheetah as a powerhouse character?

Exactly. Cheetah being the villain, is a great opportunity to expose to a wider audience another classic Wonder Woman in a positive way if they do things right.

#337 Posted by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio
#338 Posted by RavenVice01 (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterwitcher88: not sure how I feel about Pascal playing Maxwell lord because lord was essential in establishing the justice league international and was part of the extremists. If they had Pascal playing sebastian ballesteros then that would fit well with Cheetah

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
#339 Posted by masterwitcher88 (1412 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterwitcher88: not sure how I feel about Pascal playing Maxwell lord because lord was essential in establishing the justice league international and was part of the extremists. If they had Pascal playing sebastian ballesteros then that would fit well with Cheetah

Your right, I hoped they would save Lord for the Sacrifice story line. DCFU is not particularly to my personal taste and frankly I'm not excited about WW2 TBH.

#340 Posted by RavenVice01 (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterwitcher88: I feel the same way because i think they picked the wrong person to play cheetah. Eva green, Emily blunt or the mummy chick with tom cruise could have been better.

#341 Edited by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: A reviewer I follow said that the DCEU has been having a hard time getting high calibre actors because no one wants to be associated with a failing franchise

#342 Posted by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterwitcher88: Same here. I have no hype for WW84 for multiple reasons. Anyway about Maxwell Lord, I would have also preferred that they saved him for sacrifice. But what if Pascal is actually playing Maxwell Lord III. I thought about this a while back. So perhaps whatever happens in this movie could lead to Maxwell Lord IV's hatred of Wonder Woman. Perhaps she also killed his father.

#343 Posted by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@geraldofvengerberg: You'll see what I mean when the movie comes out (if the rumour is true)

What rumour? Why can't Cheetah be a powerhouse(like she is supposed to be) and have some great action scenes fighting WW?

#344 Posted by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: I was saying that if the rumour about Steve Trevor's return is true and plays out as described then you'll probably see what I mean when WW84 drops

#345 Posted by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: I was saying that if the rumour about Steve Trevor's return is true and plays out as described then you'll probably see what I mean when WW84 drops

How is Steve's return an obstacle to have a powerful Cheetah and a great battle between her and WW?

#346 Posted by RavenVice01 (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity: apparently they got wonder woman right and aquaman is a big success. Shazam might be a step back

#347 Edited by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterwitcher88: @ravenvice01: Like Archizoom said. Patty said Wonder Woman would face incredible odds and as she uttered that, they put up an image of Cheetah on the screen. They pointed to Cheetah being quite a formidable opponent. So we should wait and see. We shouldn't let negativity take the best of us. Let's just wait and hope Patty can make of Wonder Woman 1984 a great film, and an improvement from the first film.

#348 Edited by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: I don't think I can change your mind without you seeing it for yourself. I'm not saying I know what's in the movie but we'll see...

#349 Edited by Kevinffinity (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: Wonder Woman was ok (6/10) in my opinion. I had problems with it. Mostly with the third act but the rest of the movie was lacking.

On the other hand, Aquaman was amazing (9/10). I'm an Aquaman fan so I got a feeling of satisfaction after watching the movie. I wasn't happy with some of the changes they made to the character but the rest of the movie makes up for that. All the other problems people had weren't a big deal to me. It definitely deserved to be the first 1 billion DCEU movie. I agree with a reviewer I follow who said that Wan has the potential to be DC's Russo brothers. He is by far the best director that the DCEU has had.

#350 Edited by agent41 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevinffinity said:

@agent41: I don't think I can change your mind without you seeing it for yourself. I'm not saying I know what's in the movie but we'll see...

But you are not telling me anything. Did you hear a rumour saying Cheetah will be weak, and action scenes will be bad because of Steve's return? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.