Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman 1 Spoilers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dshipp17

Wonder Woman has a realistic beauty in his art. He balances sexy with the battle skirt well; although she has the battle skirt, which was probably intended to completely take away the sexy, she's sexy so far. So far so good. But, I'm confused; I thought Wonder Woman Rebirth was the first issue; but, this seems to be a continuation, but, says Wonder Woman 1; a Wonder Woman Rebirth 2 is scheduled to come out; will we have both Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman Rebirth? Will we have 3-4 mainstream Wonder Womans per month? I'm guessing not, but, if we do, a great surprise.

Etta Candy is back in the Wonder Woman book and she's African American. We learn that Steve has been away from Wonder Woman for a while; from what I can gather, Wonder Woman broke it off with Steve or merely disconnected from Steve. We also learn that Wonder Woman is just shy of 6 feet 3 inches tall.

A rush to bring Cheetah into the Wonder Woman books once again; however, the mystery of who is in Wonder Woman's head remains unsolved or, the book could be implying that it was Cheetah in Wonder Woman's head and she now has psychic abilities (or, an implication that Wonder Woman has some psychic abilities?); are they trying to give Cheetah a double role now, herself and as a replacement for Dr. Psycho, with the idea of a psychic Cheetah? I hope not, but, if so, they're burying Wonder Woman even deeper in a hole. The typical male characters made fodder and a bare challenge from Cheetah, simply because Wonder Woman wants answers, since the departure of Messner-Loebs, but characteristic of Rucka.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

This is the most satisfying #1 issue for me so far. It is a slow build, but when it could've been reasonably all talky there was plenty of action and story elements to move it along. Wonder Woman's unwillingness to fight, the ending.....that ending....and Cheetah's design. Perfect for me. Just perfect.

Though I still can't wait for the next issue, the ending left me satisfied enough with the set up and bringing back all the pieces missing from her stories for the longest time, that I can just sit comfortably and read this issue several times over.

And yes, the artwork is phenomenal. Everyone and everything looks so good.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheExile285

This isn't exactly what I was expecting from #1 but I did enjoy this. It's nice to see some of Diana's original supporting characters in the book again. The art is stellar.

Also love the way Nicola Scott draws Diana in that picture Steve had.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Both Wonder Woman and I are about the same height, just shy of 6 feet 3 inches tall.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great the way Rucka imparts so much information about a character with so few words. It's clear how much Steve still loves Diana, how Etta is kind, confident and commanding, while Wonder Woman will peacefully find the solution to her missing home from her greatest enemy that was once her friend. He had a lot of help from Liam Sharp who provided the best art the book has seen in years. It's firing on all cylinders again with the true supporting cast. I don't think it could be any better.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great the way Rucka imparts so much information about a character with so few words. It's clear how much Steve still loves Diana, how Etta is kind, confident and commanding...

I really liked that subtlety with Etta, she greets the lowly security guard at the door, who most other officers would probably ignore or forget, she knows everyone's first names and addresses them as such, and still she clearly had complete control of the room. For some reason that really stuck with me.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm glad her supporting characters are back lord knows every other supporting cast ends up being Steve/etta rip offs so I never got why they use those characters instead of the originals. Issue was mostly set up so I can't really judge much of what's happening yet. Cheetah looks amazing the and the build up for her I think proves that rucka is doing better with Barbara this time around

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad her supporting characters are back lord knows every other supporting cast ends up being Steve/etta rip offs so I never got why they use those characters instead of the originals. Issue was mostly set up so I can't really judge much of what's happening yet. Cheetah looks amazing the and the build up for her I think proves that rucka is doing better with Barbara this time around

I agree ... although I think I do understand that a lot of writers wanted to stay away from Steve and Etta because they carry a lot of baggage too. But when all is said and done we end up with copy-cat characters because the ideas behind Steve and Etta work for WW conceptually. I'm not 100% sold on this new look for Cheetah, but I don't dislike it either ... we'll see how this progresses!

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:

It's great the way Rucka imparts so much information about a character with so few words. It's clear how much Steve still loves Diana, how Etta is kind, confident and commanding...

I really liked that subtlety with Etta, she greets the lowly security guard at the door, who most other officers would probably ignore or forget, she knows everyone's first names and addresses them as such, and still she clearly had complete control of the room. For some reason that really stuck with me.

I agree, it reminded me of how in his first run Rucka showcased Diana's niceness by the round-about way she requested Ferdinand not use cilantro. He knows how to pull back and not hit you in the head with something, while still giving you the desired takeaway.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6' plus. I'm in. Plus she doesn't act like a barbarian Thorish brute. I'm really sold.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liam Sharp's art was amazing. Perfect first (2nd?) issue. I was so glad to see they really emphasized Cheetah's speed.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:

Well said ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
    deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great the way Rucka imparts so much information about a character with so few words. It's clear how much Steve still loves Diana, how Etta is kind, confident and commanding, while Wonder Woman will peacefully find the solution to her missing home from her greatest enemy that was once her friend. He had a lot of help from Liam Sharp who provided the best art the book has seen in years. It's firing on all cylinders again with the true supporting cast. I don't think it could be any better.

Agreed. Great first issue, excited for this run.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally got my copy and WHOO! but that art was gorgeous! I stopped reading N52 WW at #21 and from what I've skimmed, I didn't miss anything. Now, FINALLY, I feel incentive to spend money on Wonder Woman again, which makes me so happy! Granted, the decompression was there, but I expected that when it was announced that the title would be bi-monthly. Doesn't even COMPARE to having to wait 30 days for 3 minutes of reading! Loving Cheetah's new look, loving Diana's new look (tweaked classic that actually DOESN'T Look like an american flag one-piece) and definitely loving that Rucka is back. Add to that that Wonder Woman will get to interact with HER OWN supporting cast rather than a bunch of new characters soved down my throat, and I am ONE HAPPY WW FAN!!! All in all I'd say it was a solid 8/10. Not perfect, but so much closer than we've been in a LOOOOONG TIME. Now we just need to shuffle the sword and shield to the background or for "planet-busting" threats and really showcase the lasso and bracelets. Then I'd be at 12/10!

speckoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By speckoh

lol, I find that that face totally doesn't suit wonder woman anymore. A face like that for a 6 foot plus amazonian goddess of war? It looks like it was based off of lynda carter's wonder woman. ah w/e actually i preferred if she looked less realistic and closer to the style of the whole comic.

besides, she's in full outfit and clearly wearing some form of shoes which adds like 2 inches...

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@speckoh said:

lol, I find that that face totally doesn't suit wonder woman anymore. A face like that for a 6 foot plus amazonian goddess of war? It looks like it was based off of lynda carter's wonder woman. ah w/e actually i preferred if she looked less realistic and closer to the style of the whole comic.

besides, she's in full outfit and clearly wearing some form of shoes which adds like 2 inches...

She was the God of War but it was only an illusion. Even still, that title shouldn't preclude her looking as beautiful as Lynda Carter. Geesh.

speckoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: ahem... my bad. God of War. Either way, the whole photo of wonder woman looking like lynda carter felt out of place. The whole comic had her looking nothing like carter whereas, that photo she did. They look like two completely different people!

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@speckoh said:

@scorpio_cassadine: ahem... my bad. God of War. Either way, the whole photo of wonder woman looking like lynda carter felt out of place. The whole comic had her looking nothing like carter whereas, that photo she did. They look like two completely different people!

That pic was done by Nicola Scott, a completely different artist. It's designed to illustrate the difference between the innocent princess fresh off the island and the super-heroine goddess she's become over the ensuing years. We'll get more of that next issues when Nicola takes over and starts giving us the WW Year One story.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@speckoh said:

That pic was done by Nicola Scott, a completely different artist. It's designed to illustrate the difference between the innocent princess fresh off the island and the super-heroine goddess she's become over the ensuing years. We'll get more of that next issues when Nicola takes over and starts giving us the WW Year One story.

Yes, they deliberately incorporated Scott's work as part of, if I understand correctly, the two stories playing off one another. From what I can tell it sounds like the Year One story line will drop some hints to the Lies story line and vice versa ... We're supposed to understand that Steve still sees Diana as the young naive girl who left the Island when she's in fact grown into a different person.

I'm super excited for Scott's first issue to drop ... next week???

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

@csg_cl said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:
    @speckoh said:

Yes, they deliberately incorporated Scott's work as part of, if I understand correctly, the two stories playing off one another. From what I can tell it sounds like the Year One story line will drop some hints to the Lies story line and vice versa ... We're supposed to understand that Steve still sees Diana as the young naive girl who left the Island when she's in fact grown into a different person.

I'm super excited for Scott's first issue to drop ... next week???

Doesn't come out till July 13 unfortunately.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.