Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Will DC's 'New 52' Wonder Woman lose her shorts and identity?

• 84 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By No_Name_

@ScarlettLynn said:

@fodigg: The article is wrong though. Hera hasn't always been on the side of the Amazons. Hera almost completely destroyed Themyscira before. The goddess of discord, Eris, is Hera's daughter is certain myths and has been a Wonder Woman villain in the past. Ares is a Greek God and he's been a classic Wonder Woman adversary for forever. Wonder Woman has always gone through periods of time where she's been at odds with her pantheon or where they've flat out abandoned her or where she's been completely on their side.

I apologize for my inability to recall a point which Hera was at odds with Wonder Woman, specifically. I thought Hera was Diana's maker. When Hippolyta made Diana out of clay, she prayed to Hera while she molded her. Hera sympathized with Hippolyta.

In regards to Ares, (Gail Simone's story arc?) I remember that storyline, and I don't remember there being a contentious relationship between Diana and Hera. Wasn't it also Hera who initially shielded Themyscira from our society?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Primmaster64

Damn

Ice Princess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By Ice Princess

Well, if memory serves me correct ... it was Aphrodite (in the Golden Age) who made Diana come alive from the clay. Perez (post Crisis) attributed it to 5 Goddesses (Artemis, Athena, Aphrodite, Hestia, and Demeter) and 1 God (Hermes) who made her come alive. Hera wasn't a part of that.

ScarlettLynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By ScarlettLynn
    @Babs: @Babs said:

@ScarlettLynn said:

@fodigg: The article is wrong though. Hera hasn't always been on the side of the Amazons. Hera almost completely destroyed Themyscira before. The goddess of discord, Eris, is Hera's daughter is certain myths and has been a Wonder Woman villain in the past. Ares is a Greek God and he's been a classic Wonder Woman adversary for forever. Wonder Woman has always gone through periods of time where she's been at odds with her pantheon or where they've flat out abandoned her or where she's been completely on their side.

I apologize for my inability to recall a point which Hera was at odds with Wonder Woman, specifically. I thought Hera was Diana's maker. When Hippolyta made Diana out of clay, she prayed to Hera while she molded her. Hera sympathized with Hippolyta.

In regards to Ares, (Gail Simone's story arc?) I remember that storyline, and I don't remember there being a contentious relationship between Diana and Hera. Wasn't it also Hera who initially shielded Themyscira from our society?

Hera was, and typically is, a goddess honored by the Amazons. It depends if there's a different origin you're thinking of, but if you're referring to the the classic George Perez story, then she refused to stand with the goddesses creating the race of Amazons and Diana by taking a side against Zeus at first. When Diana was created (molded out of clay by Hippolyta)  it was the goddess Artemis that she was praying to and was given her gifts by Artemis, Demeter, Aphrodite, Athena, Hestia and Hermes. Hera is definitely a major goddess of the Amazons and has been on their side countless times but she's infamous in her changeable nature. She's often gone into jealous rages that she's taken out on humanity and/or the Amazons themselves. 

The first solicit states that Diana protects us from the Gods. It doesn't mention Hera specifically and protecting us from the Gods is completely in keeping with Diana's character and history and why I mentioned Ares (a Greek God). Not just from Gail's run but for years. He's one of her classic adversaries. The first solicit mentions nothing of changing her origin. It says she protects humanity from the wrath of the Gods. She's always done that.

The second solicit is the one that mentions Hera. It states that she doesn't take her vengeance lightly and, according to Greek mythology, she sure doesn't. She's constantly cursing the innocent women who were victims of Zeus' seduction and taking out her jealous rages on anyone in humanity she sees fit. And despite all of this, the solicit goes on to mention that it isn't even Hera that Diana should really be worried about. It's Hera's daughter, the goddess of discord. The goddess of discord and strife is named Eris and has been a Wonder Woman villain in the past. This may be a new character or one based on that previous one but, either way, it certainly doesn't change anything about Diana, Wonder Woman or her origins.
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#55  Edited By Comiclove5

According to the artist the pants are retractable' also acorrding to dc most everything in the 90's (possible 80's too) happened just with in a 5 year time spand except for Batman who has been working in secret for years.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#56  Edited By cbishop

Love the article, Sara, because (shameless plug in 3...2...1...) I proposed Wonder Woman be connected to her mythology more in my blog post, Mining the Public Domain, OR Why Wonder Woman Should Be Better.  I think it's a great idea to bring the Greek gods back into her mix, but have to agree with Pokeysteve that this particular idea sounds like the Kevin Sorbo Hercules show.  Here's hoping it's awesome! :)
    rhstickler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By rhstickler

I've never really understood Wonderwoman's personality. It seems very vague and stiff to me. She should get interested in a few other hobbies that don't involve saving the world.

Jenna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Jenna
    @rhstickler said:
    I've never really understood Wonderwoman's personality. It seems very vague and stiff to me. She should get interested in a few other hobbies that don't involve saving the world.
    That's mostly because a lot of Wonder Woman writers seem to have no real interest in reading previous runs on her book and wind up confused, which results in her often being written as either way too uptight or way too aggressive.  If you want to see her done well, I'd suggest reading Greg Rucka's run (or even just The Hiketeia, his one-shot GN) - in my opinion, his Wondy was spot on.
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

Will DC's 'New 52' Wonder Woman lose her shorts and identity? Don't you mean Will DC's 'New DC 52' Wonder Woman lose her pants and identity? Or am I just mistaken? Anyways the version of Wonder Woman that I really liked was Darwyn Cooke's.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60  Edited By Erik
    @Babs

I am not concerned at all about her wardrobe. I think I like all of the ones that I have seen thus far. You do bring up some interesting points though. You questioned her role as worshiper being potentially changed to something along the lines of a rebel goddess. Well that would not really be out of character for Wonder Woman because she was a goddess for a short time and still a worshiper to her elder gods and yet defiant at the same time. She was the Goddess of Truth to be exact. The reason that her stint as one of the gods was so short was because she refused to obey the commands of the other gods at every turn because she believed them to be wrong.

Also, Diana was actually revealed by the Fates to be Gaea herself in issue 45 of volume 2. So without anyone except the Fates knowing it, Diana is the mother of the gods. Or rather, a fraction of Gaea's soul anyway. 

Another point to add is that the gods have always gone through a "smite then praise then smite again" relationship with the Amazons. So the gods treating humanity like playthings is not really that odd. They do it all the time with the Amazons and in actual Greek Mythology, they did it relentlessly with humans.
    B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By B'Town

I was a BIG hater of the stupid pants for a very long time. But, I'm over it and wouldn't mind seeing both now and again.

I'm going to hold my opinion on the solicits and possible changes in origin. Canon has not always been important to me, though the thought of changing Diana's character too much, makes my jaw tighten and my toe tap a bit. I'm going to keep an open mind and hope I love the direction.

No matter what happens I will continue to pull WW, it's what I do. I am not going to turn my back on her just because some knuckleheads got it wrong.

edit; sp

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By GrimoireMyst

Disassociated with the Amazons.....check.

Fighting the petty Gods for playing around with humanity.....check.

I'm really not seeing the bad side outside of making Hippolyta her enemy which would be the only thing I would not like to see since I also think she's a great character. I never liked the other Amazons to tell the truth. lol

As for the outfit stuff it really doesn't matter to me. She fights well in anything.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By sparty-dbq

Why is this a topic of discussion?  Seriously, why? Maybe it's just because I'm more invested in Marvel than DC, but I don't see what the fuss is about.  While we're at it, what happened to the other chick's pants as well?  
    WHO FRICKING CARES?!

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DEADPOOL

Sounds like the pitch for the 90's Hercules show with Kevin Sorbo. lol.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Shorts or pants, doesn't matter as long as they make the story and character interesting. About whether her Odyssey character will go on, it would probably be best if her true memory was restored. But that's just my opinion.

Blastov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Blastov

she should get bermuda shorts and get it over with! JEEZ!
    Henrypm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Henrypm

i rather see wearing shorts, honestly i don´t see cool wearing pants for me is like changing jesus christ style , abraham lincoln and all famous people story & i hope they don´t change the story of the characters is like changing  jesus story , abraham lincoln story , george washington and all
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By fodigg
    @ScarlettLynn said:
    @Babs: @Babs said:

@ScarlettLynn said:

Hera was, and typically is, a goddess honored by the Amazons. It depends if there's a different origin you're thinking of, but if you're referring to the the classic George Perez story, then she refused to stand with the goddesses creating the race of Amazons and Diana by taking a side against Zeus at first. When Diana was created (molded out of clay by Hippolyta)  it was the goddess Artemis that she was praying to and was given her gifts by Artemis, Demeter, Aphrodite, Athena, Hestia and Hermes. Hera is definitely a major goddess of the Amazons and has been on their side countless times but she's infamous in her changeable nature. She's often gone into jealous rages that she's taken out on humanity and/or the Amazons themselves.   The first solicit states that Diana protects us from the Gods. It doesn't mention Hera specifically and protecting us from the Gods is completely in keeping with Diana's character and history and why I mentioned Ares (a Greek God). Not just from Gail's run but for years. He's one of her classic adversaries. The first solicit mentions nothing of changing her origin. It says she protects humanity from the wrath of the Gods. She's always done that.  The second solicit is the one that mentions Hera. It states that she doesn't take her vengeance lightly and, according to Greek mythology, she sure doesn't. She's constantly cursing the innocent women who were victims of Zeus' seduction and taking out her jealous rages on anyone in humanity she sees fit. And despite all of this, the solicit goes on to mention that it isn't even Hera that Diana should really be worried about. It's Hera's daughter, the goddess of discord. The goddess of discord and strife is named Eris and has been a Wonder Woman villain in the past. This may be a new character or one based on that previous one but, either way, it certainly doesn't change anything about Diana, Wonder Woman or her origins.
    The bolded portion is why I opted to trust Babs' post. Because when discussing WW's origin, it is a mess. Which origin? And now we'll have one more on the list. 

So I guess to answer Babs' original question, no, the origin specifics don't matter much to me because it's just another one in the pile. As long as it involves the greek pantheon, ass-kicking women, and bondage undertones I'm on board.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By niamahai

the interior artwork.. drooolllllz

i cannot wait for the inconspicuous butt shots

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#70  Edited By Pokeysteve
    @rhstickler said:
    Read
    _Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By _Zombie_
    @jointron33: Yeah, some of the whining is unnecessary.  Bloody hell, I love Batman but I don't mind the changes.  I'm talking about the people who are condemning DC and overreacting to the New 52.  The ones who say 'DC is dead to me' and that bullcrap.  The fanboys who are WAY too fanboyish to put up with change to their beloved characters.
    multiverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#72  Edited By multiverse

I have never read much of the Wonder Woman stuff and probably won't after the new 52 come out. However, I do like what I've seen of her in the JLA and such. Below are three issues I would want to be addressed in a Wonder Woman reboot.

1. One thing that DC has trouble with is the whole issue of what exactly the Greek Gods are. As I understand it, Marvel's Asgardians are extra dimensional aliens. It seems like a good idea to think of the Greek Gods in a similar way. Differences between mythology and comics could then be explained as confusion on the part of the ancient Greeks.

2. To me the Amazons have always seemed like a unique strand of ancient Greek culture. However, as an independent state they should have relations with the world in addition to just Wonder Woman running around. They should also have their own styles of dress, architecture, and technology that plausibly could be a Greek culture carried to modern times. Maybe Wonder Woman's costume is what Amazons wear into battle these days and the infamous invisible jet is the result of Amazonian cloaking technology.

3. There will probably be a number of people who disagree with me but it would make sense for me if Wonder Woman were a lesbian. I say this mainly because she grew up on an island entirely populated by women. In any case, I think that Wonder Woman's romantic pursuits should reflect the fact that she doesn't come from 21st century American culture.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Eyz

I already miss George Pérez' original reboot.... :(

BadassAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BadassAquaman

I hope some good stories will come up with this. I've never read a WW's story that made me not rest until I read it all, you know. I don't care if they change the character a lot, I just want to read a good comic.

Evpraksiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Evpraksiya

I would have loved Dodsons's art again. WW in their hands is perfect.

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#76  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Once again, the emphasis is on the woman's damn fashion instead of...er, story?!??!? It's an odd fit with Mr. 100 Bullets on the title but I hope it's more about WW's role as an ambassador than this Greek Street knockoff that JMS has going. 

Xaviersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Xaviersx

I use to be a Supergirl fan almost a decade ago and still have a fondness for that comic but I've never cared for Wonder Woman in her own book (maybe I felt that she was so on the same untouchable level with Superman that she was beyond my seeing her as vulnerable and relate-able). Loved the nostalgia of her on morning cartoons and Linda Carter as live action WW when I was a youngster. Liked her in the modern Justice League and Unlimited . . . I just can't get into the book as a desired read. She can be a hard long term sell . . . Hope it all goes well.

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By WW-Fan

im going to wait before i judge anything :)

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grimoire said:
    Disassociated with the Amazons.....check.  Fighting the petty Gods for playing around with humanity.....check.  I'm really not seeing the bad side outside of making Hippolyta her enemy which would be the only thing I would not like to see since I also think she's a great character. I never liked the other Amazons to tell the truth. lol  As for the outfit stuff it really doesn't matter to me. She fights well in anything.
    Agreed. Wonder Woman desperately needed a retcon that would stick IMHO and these changes make her more similar to Xena: Warrior Princess, which isn't a bad thing. The gods make better enemies than Cheetah or most of Batman's rogues' gallery, in my opinion. 
    Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#80  Edited By Outside_85
    @Babs: With regards to Hera, it is actually odd that she is actually not one of the primary deities of the Amazons, despite being the patron deitiy of women. As the story goes, I think this is still canon, the Amazons were created by Artemis, Athena, Hestia, Demeter and Aphrodite (known as The Five amongst the amazons) in a response to Ares' growing influence in the mortal world, something the other gods didn't see as a problem they needed to concern themselves with. Also, the mythological Hera was not someone you wanted to get on the wrong side of, mainly because she apparently wasn't enough for Zeus (was the same reason Hera nearly destroyed Themyscira once, Zeus was looking a little too much at Artemis). Paris (from the Illiade) also got her angry because he chose Aphrodite as the most beautiful of the gods, but many of the gods were like that.
    allison_scag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By allison_scag

I might pick this one up for a read, but why change her back to shorts. Do we really need to objectify women as eye candy in all social medias ?

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Eyz

Hope this will return WW to her former glory..

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83  Edited By waruikumo

Give her pants.  If pathetic fan boys can't fap to it who cares.  Maybe the story should drive book sales instead.

Or Give aqua man a speedo. 

Seriously superman has ARMOUR MOTHER F&%($*$ ARMOUR , WTF does he need knee pads for?

Johnslamby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Johnslamby

It's kind a cool cause I bought the wonder women 1 in 1987 so I'll be able to compare and contrast the origins

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#85  Edited By Blood1991

Poor Wonder Woman I really hope that DC never lets what marvel did to Storm happen to you. I love Diana's orgin's so hell yeah I'll have some issues if they change it, shes one of the few DC characters I like, but I won't completely knock it until I read it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.