Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Why the hell couldn't Lynda play Hippolyta?

• 85 results
    Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Maybe the people involved felt it would be too tongue in cheek to be taken seriously.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@darkdetective27 said:

Maybe the people involved felt it would be too tongue in cheek to be taken seriously.

Exactly, according to the people involved almost everything about Wonder Woman is too tongue in cheek to be taken seriously. That's how we got this Wonder Xena, with no flying, no invisible jet, no bullets and bracelets, no boomerang tiara, no patriotism and no five point stars. Apparently if it's not grim and dreary it can't be taken seriously, but that's not Wonder Woman.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why should she?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By dernman

Maybe she didn't want to.

Maybe they didn't want to play the nostalgia game.

Maybe someone who auditioned did a better job.

Maybe they wanted younger.

Maye it just didn't come to mind to consider it.

It can be many reasons. We don't know.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

@scorpio_cassadine: Yeah I hate the approach they are taking with the character which is why I have no interest in the movie.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ScouterV

@darkdetective27 said:

@scorpio_cassadine: Yeah I hate the approach they are taking with the character which is why I have no interest in the movie.

First off, an Invisible Jet is kind of stupid from a number of perspectives. How would you even know how to fly it? Or where it was? Or how to get in? Or if it just happened to be your jet?

Also, why would Wonder Woman be patriotic? And to America of all places? Why not...Canada?

If you guys think this is dark, I really have to question your threshold for what an actual "dark" film looks like.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:
    @darkdetective27 said:

First off, an Invisible Jet is kind of stupid from a number of perspectives. How would you even know how to fly it? Or where it was? Or how to get in? Or if it just happened to be your jet?

Also, why would Wonder Woman be patriotic? And to America of all places? Why not...Canada?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

As for your first set of questions, magic or Amazon science, take your pick.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote for Amazon Science!!!

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@donjack said:

Apparently Patty Jenkins and her also keep in touch, Patty even mentioned that they find hilarious that they share the same birthday.

It's a day off though according to google. :p.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
    deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The last citadel of democracy". Talk about propaganda.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: honestly! How has DC not picked up that this dark and dreary DCEU isn't going over all that well? That approach works fine for BM and the Dark Knight franchise, because BM is a noir character, but WW is supposed to be about hope and redeeming villains and love winning over war. I truly hope Jenkins manages to infuse some light hearted moments into this movie!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cruelestashley: well, this stuff was written during WW2 when the US was pretty much the

Arst nation of democracy standing against the Nazis and the Japanese ... Perhaps a dramatic reference, but it is a comic book :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
    deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Yes, I'm all too familiar with the American propaganda in Golden Age comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@scorpio_cassadine: honestly! How has DC not picked up that this dark and dreary DCEU isn't going over all that well? That approach works fine for BM and the Dark Knight franchise, because BM is a noir character, but WW is supposed to be about hope and redeeming villains and love winning over war. I truly hope Jenkins manages to infuse some light hearted moments into this movie!

she emphasized a focus on love and forgiveness at the ww panel so its definitely there they even had a tweet that mentioned ww being "kinky" so im guessing they are using golden age, post crisis, and etc in some ways with the movie. Im not expecting a perfect movie but i think it will be at the very least be extremely beautiful movie with a decent plot and a focus on dianas message of love. Jenkins seems to be a big fan who cares about Diana and this is the movie shes always wanted to make

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I think they picked that up, especially after yrying to change suicide squad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I think they picked that up, especially after yrying to change suicide squad.

and looked how that worked out

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: oh I never said they did it well, or that it was going to be good, just that they are trying to change the tone (regardless of whether it is good or bad)

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: oh I never said they did it well, or that it was going to be good, just that they are trying to change the tone (regardless of whether it is good or bad)

Well SS definitely had some issues, but to be fair, they seemed to have been course correcting from the negative backlash of BvS by making some last minute edits/additions etc... hopefully WW and the remaining films will have a more seamless feel to them and don't end up choppy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah that is true but the tone is only one part of the problem with DC's film so if we get another mess wrt plot like SS no change is going to make it ok which is what i was getting at

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: Re: how "good and kind and loving she is", "empowered", "independent", "strong" "but" "still sexy"…are those blanket terms supposed to be Wonder Woman's defining characteristics 'cause they're all they keep bandying about. My biggest pet peeve right now is that this Wonder Woman seems quite diluted doesn't she, from the little we've seen so far she's got very few unique, distinguishing features

Given they purportedly "make movies for the fans" it might've been helpful to call in one or more bona fide Wonder Woman fans to consult on the film - Gail Simone, Greg Rucka or Phil Jimenez 'cause while Geoff Johns did some research he's not attuned to the Wonder Woman lore

Still the proof is in the pudding, I just hope for Wonder Woman's sake they made a decent movie because unlike her predecessor she's not teflon.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'all heard on Bleeding Cool about the open letter to Warner Brothers allegedly from a former employee concerned about the studio's direction? It said the Wonder Woman film is a mess and a continuation of the problems plaguing the overall DCEU. Patty Jenkins was so upset by it she addressed it on twitter. Whether you believe the letter (I don't) or Patty Jenkins, you know how the other DC films have been received by fans and critics, it doesn't bode well.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08/12/wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins-respond-to-dubious-warner-bros-letter/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: Re: how "good and kind and loving she is", "empowered", "independent", "strong" "but" "still sexy"…are those blanket terms supposed to be Wonder Woman's defining characteristics 'cause they're all they keep bandying about. My biggest pet peeve right now is that this Wonder Woman seems quite diluted doesn't she, from the little we've seen so far she's got very few unique, distinguishing features

Given they purportedly "make movies for the fans" it might've been helpful to call in one or more bona fide Wonder Woman fans to consult on the film - Gail Simone, Greg Rucka or Phil Jimenez 'cause while Geoff Johns did some research he's not attuned to the Wonder Woman lore

Still the proof is in the pudding, I just hope for Wonder Woman's sake they made a decent movie because unlike her predecessor she's not teflon.

They are blanket terms but Patty did emphasize love and forgiveness which are basically the two attributes that Diana keeps no matter what writers do to her mythos. I won't necessarily be mad if the film doesnt go the route I think it should in using things more aligned with Marston, Simone, Jimenez use of the character because I know writers tend to ignore those things anywho so I dont see me judging the movie any harsher than the comics. TBH im more angry at the comics because they are the source material so people like Azzarello and others would be at fault if her film doesn't portray Diana at her best. After stuff like the animated film just having diana say the word love or act compassionate at all would be a step in the right direction. I do hope and believe that it will be a decent movie but for me its more of will it be a decent Wonder Woman movie or a decent movie that barely resembles the character in the comics sort of like that Constantine film.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why y'all keep bringing up Gail as if she's some guardian of Wonder Woman lore. She didn't have a clue how to write the character. She took a crash course from fans on the old DC message board and we told her about Wonder Woman. Countless threads found their way into the book and she was primarily responsible for the animated film I cant stand.

I'm not trying to take anything away from her, she's a GREAT writer, it's just that her style didn't align with Wonder Woman very well and she had A LOT of editorial interference because of it.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Y'all heard on Bleeding Cool about the open letter to Warner Brothers allegedly from a former employee concerned about the studio's direction? It said the Wonder Woman film is a mess and a continuation of the problems plaguing the overall DCEU. Patty Jenkins was so upset by it she addressed it on twitter. Whether you believe the letter (I don't) or Patty Jenkins, you know how the other DC films have been received by fans and critics, it doesn't bode well.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08/12/wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins-respond-to-dubious-warner-bros-letter/

Thing is that the DCEU movies have generally been much better recieved by the audience than the critics, SS for instance has a metacritic rating of 6.5/10 and a RT score of 67% versus the much poorer critic ratings of 40/100 and 26%... meanwhile BvS seemed to have around the same with audiences since it has scores of 6.9/10 and 65% while the critics are at 40/100 and 27%. Admittedly the audience scores arent stellar, but they could have been much worse... they could have agreed with the critics.

So perhaps we should stop going into a panic about whenever or not the audience likes it or not?

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I effing LOVED Suicide Squad! I saw it 3 times in Imax 3d, it appealed to my sensibilities. The only problems were the choppy editing and it should have had an R rating. I despised BvS though and thought it was depressing, boring and stupid. I can already tell WW isn't going to be for me.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: That's what I was getting at, I believe that provided the suits don't fiddle with this movie with last-minute reshoots like they did with Suicide Squad, Jenkins might put out a pretty decent movie, however whether it's a good Wonder Woman movie for Wonder Woman fans that's a whole different matter. I have this feeling that even if the film receives critical acclaim and turns a pretty good profit they may not make a sequel so I'd really, really like to enjoy it..

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: She wrote the screenplay for the animated movie but according to her they made a lot of modifications, I'd hazard a guess that Steve was one of them

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizooom said:

@scorpio_cassadine: She wrote the screenplay for the animated movie but according to her they made a lot of modifications, I'd hazard a guess that Steve was one of them

My thing was there was a lot of set up for one barefoot fight with no flying and diminished power levels. Also the changes to the origin were unwarranted and unnecessary.

I did enjoy some WW stories Gail wrote, but they all had problems with execution or plot points. Like in the Circle, how were we to believe Alkyone went from being Hippolyta's fiercest protector to wanting to kill her, all because she didn't like her daughter? The story with Ares children was a great idea that fell apart in the conclusion. They wreaked havoc and killed people and all they got was a spanking? The Secret Six crossover could have been epic but Diana was completely disrespected in favor of propping up the Six and Artemis was written out of character. She had started to find her way with the Citizenry story arc with Astarte and her the space Amazons, but then she was abruptly fired.

In retrospect pacing, interference, too many unbelievable head scratching moments (like Diana, Donna and Cassie's matching birdy armor but Cassie's had a bare midriff or Genocide being Diana's own reanimated corpse) and way too much forced humor (like with the gorillas I started off hating but came to care about) ruined what could have been a great run.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: That's what I was getting at, I believe that provided the suits don't fiddle with this movie with last-minute reshoots like they did with Suicide Squad, Jenkins might put out a pretty decent movie, however whether it's a good Wonder Woman movie for Wonder Woman fans that's a whole different matter. I have this feeling that even if the film receives critical acclaim and turns a pretty good profit they may not make a sequel so I'd really, really like to enjoy it..

I agree. I dont really think a phase two is happening for DC movies in general. I think we're gonna see a great decrease in all these blockbuster films some time soon.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: IIRC she said they changed the script pretty significantly and you can tell they revised it from a male perspective so I'm not sure you should hold Gail Simone responsible for all that, however she did say she enjoyed the film

Her run was my introduction to Wonder Woman so she sort of defined the character for me, I liked her voice for Wonder Woman, she was so self-assured and full of wit, I thought she was cool, I was quite taken with Nemesis too. By contrast I find the current Wonder Woman stuffy and humorless which imo doesn't do the character any favors. There's not much wrong with Rebirth, I just don't find Wonder Woman very charismatic

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizooom:

Diana is a lot of things but "funny" isn't one of them. She's not naturally a joke teller, that's why Etta is so important. Diana is the straight man that sets up Etta, that's a dynamic that works well, as shown in recent issues of Legend of Wonder Woman. Diana's humor should be dry, like Dorothy Zbornak on Golden Girls.

One of the things I disliked about Gail's voice for Diana was she was so formal and pretentious sounding. Diana shouldn't be a stiff, stick in the mud, that's totally unfamiliar with pop culture. She works best when she's down to earth and not constantly preaching at people. William Messner-Loebs' run got it right. In it the humor was situational and Diana sounded like a normal person, albeit from another country that was becoming accustomed to life America and discovering so many things she liked about it that weren't available on Themyscira. That's what I want, a Diana that watches Game of Thrones, plays video games and goes to the movies. That's how you make her relatable without changing her parentage or giving her a brother.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: I mean, I'm one for skepticism regarding the dceu, but come on, resorting to letters from alleged "former" employees goes from being skeptical to being naïve.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: I mean, I'm one for skepticism regarding the dceu, but come on, resorting to letters from alleged "former" employees goes from being skeptical to being naïve.

I didn't write it.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: never said you wrote it, just hate it when stuff like this gets spread around and new sites start picking it up like some new story.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: never said you wrote it, just hate it when stuff like this gets spread around and new sites start picking it up like some new story.

Blame Bleeding Cool, forewarned is forearmed.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: don't really care who passed the story, just seems stupid to me (and very fake)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.