Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Which Origin do you prefer?

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which Origin do you prefer? (69 votes)

Original: Created from clay. 57%
    New: Demigod daughter of Zeus. 43%

So, New 52 gave Wonder Woman a new origin as the daughter of Zeus, unlike some people I actually liked it. But which origin do you prefer, her being created from clay, or being the daughter of Zeus?

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The new one.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

the old one was much better

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like parts of each. The clay birth was interesting but I never liked the powers being "gifts from the gods". Zeus' daughter makes her more independent, but it's less interesting as a story. I think Marston had the best origin with the training as her source for powers.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

The clay origin, like God and Dr. Marston intended.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

I like parts of each. The clay birth was interesting but I never liked the powers being "gifts from the gods". Zeus' daughter makes her more independent, but it's less interesting as a story. I think Marston had the best origin with the training as her source for powers.

This. I never particularly dug the clay origin, but I had to admit it was unique. In contrast, her being Zeus' daughter is much less original, but much, much more interesting

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor: How is it more interesting when it makes her just another out of hundreds of Zeus' offspring? I hate how it takes a character created and empowered by women and makes her like any other patriarchal hero.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her just being another half god is so boring, the clay origin was original at least

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think the clay is more unique while being a demigod is just something that clash of titans would do.

I_Rock_Fiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the clay version myself, but if you think about it zeus is technically her father esk person, as he brought her to life.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lolololol. so true. baby jesus liked it too.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

The old one is pretty classic but the new one allows for more development... Ugh I'm conflicted.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:

lolololol. so true. baby jesus liked it too.

NO NO NO ... God and Jesus hated it like they do all the other pagan birth rituals!! (for the record this is meant to be silly)

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel exactly @CSG_CL does.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find, I actually don't care! But her new look and power set pretty much make her the love child of Thor and Sif! Torunn has an older sister! Yet, I voted "new origin" cause her God-powers without the bracers.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

demigod i like in N52 (isnt it DC you, now? lol)

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really I think the Golden Age origin is the best. I could think of a couple tweaks to modernize it a bit, but for the most part I think it got things better then Post-crisis, and I don't want any part of the New 52 origin.

I was considering a new origin that I think I would have liked to see if they did need a twist. Rather then finding out she was the love child of Hippolyta and Zeus I'd have her find out that Athena, and Artemis are her parents. Throw in some vague prophesy about the virgin goddesses losing their virginity which would cause the rest of the gods to see Diana as a threat. Wanting to protect their daughter they turn her into a mortal to hide her. As the goddess of love Aphrodite already knows about their love child, and agrees to help them. All the Amazons would be created from clay with Aphrodite bringing them to life so they get Hippolyta to take care of Diana, and raise her as if she was just another Amazon. Though she was turned into a moral Diana eventually starts gaining some axis to her device powers through the psionic trying she recites from the Amazons.

I still like the original origin most of all, but if there had to be a new one that's what I'd like to see.

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like her clay origin. It was unique and completely her own. Now in New 52, she's one of the thousands of bastards that came from Zeus' many affairs.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nybreezy said:

I like her clay origin. It was unique and completely her own. Now in New 52, she's one of the thousands of bastards that came from Zeus' many affairs.

not really ... Galatea, Adam/Eve and in some stories Pandora were all made from clay and blessed with various gifts from gods.

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @nybreezy said:

not really ... Galatea, Adam/Eve and in some stories Pandora were all made from clay and blessed with various gifts from gods.

Are they all from DC? Because I'm not interested in religion enough to read the Bible or any other religion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just think her clay origin embodied so many great symbolic things about women empowerment...a woman created by a woman and free from male influence and is one of the strongest heroes in the world. If they wanted this whole affair they could have just made hera and hippolyta the parents

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just think her clay origin embodied so many great symbolic things about women empowerment...a woman created by a woman and free from male influence and is one of the strongest heroes in the world. If they wanted this whole affair they could have just made hera and hippolyta the parents

See I don't think that's really true. First I think the clay origin is a birth story not a "how she got her powers" story. Second, since Marston died they have slowly made the story more about how her powers were given to her not earned or innate, Perez basically ripped off Captain Marvel/Shazam's power source for his reboot. Third, I personally find it a poor message that only a woman "untainted" by males could be powerful.

@nybreezy

Marston, who originated the clay birth of Diana noted that he used Pygmalion/Galatea as the inspiration for his story ... not really a Biblical story like Adam/Eve. There are stories such as Diana's riddled throughout world cultures, just like demi-gods are ... unique doesn't = better IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: well i cant speak to perez(though marston wrote her to be as strong as hercules, as fast as hermes, etc. though she didnt have a direct connection to the gods to get those powers in his run) but the idea of her being shaped by only women and raised by a community of loving women is an antithesis of sorts to the prevailing notion that women are lesser than and need men(which is the basis for our f'd up gender dynamics in society) and wonder womans origin prior to the n52 totally went against that notion.

so you take this baby girl who is both symbolically and quite literally removed from all traces of men so she never believes her gender is less than or ever has to be faced with a moment where her gender is used against her(i.e she doesnt get plastered with messages that she's weak because she's a girl or that girls are naturally catty or that she needs to want a man or facing the sexual violence etc. that little girls and women face)....she never worries about her connection to any men(because she has none) and she grows up not knowing anything about this patriarchal world allowing her to come into that patriarchal world and give a pov that no other person can give and inact positive change upon it because of this world view.

its not saying only women who are removed from the influence of men are strong(those women dont exist in the real world) but she is meant to be an ideal, and to an extent the trinity as a whole really are all very idealized versions of heroes(superman is an beacon of hope from a technologically advanced society and has just about anything at his fingertips, batman is a billionaire that can basically buy whatever he wants and wants to fight for justice, wonder woman hails from a utopia(depending on the story) ,is loved by the gods and wants to fight for love/truth/etc.). they are not poor or struggling...they have connections and are typically the strongest characters in the world. the only way you'd get the impression that women aren't strong if they are influenced by men is if wonder woman is the only positive female character at DC and thats not true but even if it was that'd be about diversifying(which they should still do by putting more women in the JL so Diana's story doesnt become some universal experience for women heroes because no one woman can ever represent all women)

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don´t think zeus being her dad even is an origin.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@willienotwilliam: Hermes was a male God and he blessed her in Perez run.

He also gave her the gift of flight, but that was just to show that all men aren't bad or opposed to a strong woman.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

He also gave her the gift of flight, but that was just to show that all men aren't bad or opposed to a strong woman.

And he was depicted as clearly homosexual. ;) I kinda liked that, cause I alway thought it was odd that he was male, but he´s depicted in this androgynous or feminine way. I really think the conotation was that he was like her gay uncle or something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: yeah but all her power wasnt from her connection to him. most of her power was from women except for hermes and before that he wasnt even involved

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: yeah but all her power wasnt from her connection to him. most of her power was from women except for hermes and before that he wasnt even involved

I've always viewed her power coming from her training, something developed by women, to be the strongest origin. How she was born has little to do with it IMO. I never liked any of the powers being from "blessings" because it inherently implies that she didn't have to work for her abilities and it strips away the message that "any woman can be a wonder woman" because not every woman is going to get a whole heap of powers from gods no matter how hard they work. Her origin and her birth are separate things to me ... clay baby/DoZ that's just how she came into being. Being raised by Amazons and becoming the most skilled woman of them all, leaving behind paradise to fight evil ... that's her "origin" IMO.

@jphulk26 said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:
    @csg_cl said:

And he was depicted as clearly homosexual. ;) I kinda liked that, cause I alway thought it was odd that he was male, but he´s depicted in this androgynous or feminine way. I really think the conotation was that he was like her gay uncle or something.

Except for the time when he was all in love with Diana ... then he got all creepy weird uncle who might touch you in the "bad place"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: i think her power or her specific skill set still comes from her training and upbringing(hand to hand combat, diplomacy,etc.) but her actual powers pre perez, or atleast during marston's run, came from brain energy

No Caption Provided

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: i think her power or her specific skill set still comes from her training and upbringing(hand to hand combat, diplomacy,etc.) but her actual powers pre perez, or atleast during marston's run, came from brain energy

No Caption Provided

yes that is true ... although it wasn't always "given from Aphrodite" their training was basically learning how to channel "psionic energy" into their physical being. It's why allowing themselves to be bound by men took away their strength. The center piece in Marston's version was all about women being able to "submit to a loving authority" which gave them power. Of course this played into his personal theories of bondage play being empowering and why bondage themes played such a large role in Marston's work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: idk if it was just women submitting though lol he seemed to believe that everyone should submit to a loving authority. he had plenty of women binding up men....marston seemed like an equal opportuner in that department

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: true he did love his bondage ... But mostly it was women being tied up, although Steve Trevor certainly had his fair share of those moments too!

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bondage was because these were books for children and he didn't want them being too violent. I see it as an allegory to 20th century women breaking the societal ties that bound them and accomplishing goals that only men were allowed to previously.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: the bondage was also well documented as a personal thing for Marston as well. He was a well known bondage enthusiast. But I do agree with you that he used it less for sexuality and more to illustrate that submission to love would allow for a better society.

dolphindriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dolphindriveby

I'm glad that she's Hippolyta's actual daughter nowadays, but having Zeus as her father rubbed me wrong from the get go. No offense to his fans, but Azzarello's run wasn't much more than a pale imitation of the stuff Neil Gaiman was doing years ago with Sandman and American Gods. And Gaiman did it better. If the Zeus thing sticks around, I'll be fine with it, but saddling yet another character - Diana especially - with the "secret child of a powerful guy" trope seemed like multiple steps in the wrong direction. Wonder Woman isn't Thor and shouldn't need to be. She could stand fine on her own merits if DC gave the right talent free reign enough to let her.

Back on the topic of her origin, I'm not sure why they never went the easy route of being accurate to mythology. Ares would be Hippolyta's father, Diana would be the great-granddaughter of Zeus and still a demigod, and we'd all be spared the Aquaman/Superman/King Arthur/Percy Jackson/Luke Skywalker, ad infinitum retread.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36 dernman  Online

Still don't prefer the old origin but I'm liking the new one less than I did before. I don't like the idea of WW being a god. They should be above super heroes. A demi god would have been fine. Also I don't like that it's Zeus that's her father. Rather someone else have been. Maybe make it a mystery.

moi245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clay all the way

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the original but I did find it interesting in the animated Justice League series where Hades hinted of a relationship with Hippolyta and that he may be her father. I'd be cool with this remaining a mystery.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also i hate how simple the demi god story is......wonder woman should be cooky and being made from clay is a lot cookier(granted im sure they could make something a bit more out there)

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dolphindriveby: Which Greek mythology should they be accurate to? Bare in mind the myths were contstantly being reinterpreted even back then.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clay origin for me

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clay. Timeless and effective. If it ain't broke and all that.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Prefer the demigoddess origins. It's just simpler.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44 dernman  Online

Like to point out to an earlier discussion in this thread. That Artemis leaned towards the masculine in essence and in some places she was considered male-a man.

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TrueThemyscira

Sculpted from clay origin

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

demigoddess.

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
    deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clay origin, not this Demigod bull*** and Godmode or whatever shit they pulled.

Alsimmons77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Alsimmons77

@thor321 said:

Clay origin, not this Demigod bull*** and Godmode or whatever shit they pulled.

I agree with Clay and Demigod, but the rest is a bit more complicated.

The Godmode is basically just the new Godwave, the latter was much more interessting though.

thebuckaronatr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.