Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

What comics would YOU recommend for new Wonder Woman readers?

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TheExile285

I know there is there is stuff in the Recommend Reading section but I'm curious to see what other people here would recommend.

You can also include animated movies and tv shows if you want.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Legend of Wonder Woman. I's a new take, but it also loves and respect the character and it's world.

Perez is a milestone, but it's dated.

Rucka is great (eyes of the gorgon, the hiketeia). Not sure if I would recommend it for a WW newbie though.

Simone is good, but plagued with some serious editorial nonsense.

WW (2009) is a nice animated movie.

That's all.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
    deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Broadly agree with the above post. I'd add that a lot of people loved Azzarello's run and of course Marston if you can get into Golden Age stuff.

Personally, I'd recommend the 18th Letter from Legends of the DC Universe 30-32, which you can get on Comixology

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say it depends on your general tastes.

Azzarello is well written and witty if you enjoy the style, but it's got some fundamental problems with the history of the character that many find off putting. I enjoyed the story, if not all the changes he made to her mythology.

Perez, as mentioned above, is dated, but it is also the roots of the modern character so I'd call it "essential reading" ... Rucka, Simone and Jiminez all largely built on what Perez did to varying degrees of success.

Marston ... obviously ocmics from the 1940s are very different than those of today, but reading a few of his original works can give you a good understanding of what the character was meant to actually be ... it's a tad goofy by modern standards, but that's kind of fun too. I try to imagine how his Wonder Woman would react to our modern world.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheExile285
    TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: This is the first time I've heard of Jiminez mentioned. Would you say his run is worth reading?

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By alsummers

@agent41: I agree. Perez is largely the least dated of the more current runs. For something that is clearly from the 80's the writing ages very well that modern readers can enjoy it. It's also comprehensive which is what any Wonder Woman newbie needs. My only concern is that he did make some hefty changes to her mythos, that readers may be confused when they get into different runs of her.

Speaking of comprehension, Legend of Wonder Woman is a good start for any beginner of all ages. It doesn't try to reinvent the wheel the Golden Age comics introduced. It's not Marston quality by a long-shot in terms of exploring social issues, but all the more reason I like it for what it is. The author doesn't try to make the "definitive" Wonder Woman comic, which most of her authors post Silver Age have tried to attempt via reinventing her. She takes most of the original pieces of the Golden Age era and creates something small and fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
    deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285: @agent41: I agree that Perez's run is excellent and should still be read by new fans. Dated may not be the best word, because could imply that it is obsolete, but it doesn't exactly read like a 21st century comic.

Regarding Jimenez, I would say his run is just OK. I would definitely recommend the Day in the Life issue and some of the story arcs are quite good, but I think his run lacked a bit of focus, partly due to editorial interference and partly because he seemed to want to pay homage to Wonder Woman's past too much.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@csg_cl said:

I would say it depends on your general tastes.

Azzarello is well written and witty if you enjoy the style, but it's got some fundamental problems with the history of the character that many find off putting. I enjoyed the story, if not all the changes he made to her mythology.

Perez, as mentioned above, is dated, but it is also the roots of the modern character so I'd call it "essential reading" ... Rucka, Simone and Jiminez all largely built on what Perez did to varying degrees of success.

Marston ... obviously comics from the 1940s are very different than those of today, but reading a few of his original works can give you a good understanding of what the character was meant to actually be ... it's a tad goofy by modern standards, but that's kind of fun too. I try to imagine how his Wonder Woman would react to our modern world.

This is pretty close to what id suggest. I'd recommend The Circle by Gail Simone as well, I think it does a perfect job of defining the character and its a great arc.

if you read Marston then i suggest issues 1, 4, and 28 if you can get your hands on them i think this is the best run for the character but its old(though i think ahead of its time)

If you want to catch up with where she is now then just read Azzarello(issues 0-35 of n52/v4) and stop there because currently her main title isnt looking so great

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Perez brought something fresh to her after the previous decades of awfulness (though enjoyably campy for what it's worth). He brought themes to her story and mythos that most authors still try to ape today. So I agree that Perez arguably was the most important author for her post Golden Age.

Azz's very enjoyable, but hardly revolutionary---at least not as revolutionary as people make his run out to be. He did a good job of adding drama to the story (by ultimately destroying her origin but whatever). Still a lot of his themes and characters were references to what Perez introduced.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: This is the first time I've heard of Jiminez mentioned. Would you say his run is worth reading?

I think he did a good job of writing the character. His "Day in the Life" issue (#170) is wonderful as a character driven piece, but ultimately I think his run suffered because he was essentially a fill in writer so he wasn't able to plot out a whole lot at any one time. He's someone I'd love see return (rumor has it he might after Rebirth). He was also something of a Perez purist so there are a lot of similarities in his artistic style to Perez as well as how he wrote Diana.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@theexile285: @hawk80: @purpleperson: @csg_cl:For me Perez run is not dated. He has great character development, he did her rogue gallery justice, he created a well balanced story between the warrior side and the empathy side of Wonder Woman. It still is the standard for the modern Wonder Woman. It's a well crafted story today just like it was back then.

To be clear, calling something dated isn't meant as an insult. It's a statement of fact. Perez run is nearly 30 years old now and by today's standards has a vastly different tone and feel. Again, this is not a judgement of quality, simply a statement of fact ... something necessary when setting someone's expectations about a specific run.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @agent41 said:

@theexile285: @hawk80: @purpleperson: @csg_cl:For me Perez run is not dated. He has great character development, he did her rogue gallery justice, he created a well balanced story between the warrior side and the empathy side of Wonder Woman. It still is the standard for the modern Wonder Woman. It's a well crafted story today just like it was back then.

To be clear, calling something dated isn't meant as an insult. It's a statement of fact. Perez run is nearly 30 years old now and by today's standards has a vastly different tone and feel. Again, this is not a judgement of quality, simply a statement of fact ... something necessary when setting someone's expectations about a specific run.

Exactly. These are recommendations for an hypothetical new WW reader, after all.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @agent41 said:

It's a different era yes, but quality is timeless. Perez run is a classic because it has quality writing and its tone and approach has been a standard for the writers that followed. Even writers from New 52 have taken from that run to some degree. His character development, his approach to her villans and the way he balanced the different aspects of her character such as the outsider, the embassador, the noble warrior. It's a great piece of writing no matter the time period we are in.

No one is arguing that. I literally stated "Perez, as mentioned above, is dated, but it is also the roots of the modern character so I'd call it "essential reading" ... Rucka, Simone and Jiminez all largely built on what Perez did to varying degrees of success."

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @agent41 said:

Exactly. These are recommendations for an hypothetical new WW reader, after all.

Indeed ... I think it would be a dereliction of duty not to note that Perez run happened nearly 30 years ago, quite possibly before said hypothetical reader was born!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CSG_CL

@agent41 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @agent41 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @agent41 said:

It's a different era yes, but quality is timeless. Perez run is a classic because it has quality writing and its tone and approach has been a standard for the writers that followed. Even writers from New 52 have taken from that run to some degree. His character development, his approach to her villans and the way he balanced the different aspects of her character such as the outsider, the embassador, the noble warrior. It's a great piece of writing no matter the time period we are in.

No one is arguing that. I literally stated "Perez, as mentioned above, is dated, but it is also the roots of the modern character so I'd call it "essential reading" ... Rucka, Simone and Jiminez all largely built on what Perez did to varying degrees of success."

I wasn't trying to say that you were insulting the run, i understand that it's not the tone of a comic from the 21st centuary, but he still is the standard for modern Wonder Woman. Because of that i think a new reader should read Perez to understand the character's story of the past 30 years. His run is still influencing writers, even writers from New 52 have taken from that run to some degree.

Once again, that's almost exactly what I said. Did you even read my post?

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The New 52 run from #0-35 was amazing.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So question do I start with the New 52 Wonder Woman OR.................because I know she has a new Number 1 coming out right or I may be mistaken.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

at this point just wait to june and start with rebirth, look into earth one coming up

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: also, depends on how much you like mythology based stories. Azzarellos arc is very rooted in Greek myth so if your looking for a straight up Super Hero book that may not be what you're looking for

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GrandWonder

My personal favorites

1. Eric Luke because of his take on various mythologies and his portrayal of Wonder Woman as a total badazz. I'm not really interested with the fans outcry when they are about to give her a Hindu myth and should be married boyfriend.

2. Phil Jimenez because of one story: A day in the life of WW. The other story arcs are great as well.

3. Brian Azarrello because of its horror theme, England, and Vertigo-esque feel. I hate the depiction of the Olympian gods though. It's an abomination.

4. Gail Simone because she made an army of Captain Nazis look like toddlers. But I hate the part where she's always crying for all the wrong and certainly annoying reasons.

Rosenovel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: if you just want to get to know the character first I heavily Recommend the legend of wonder woman comic. I started out reading wonderwoman with that comic because it's a retelling of the orgin and I heard it would be similar to the wonder woman movie. I didn't really know much about her history and character prior to reading it and i wanted to just discover who the wonder woman character is before reading her major comic book stories. Even though it's an elseworlds comic I have to say it is probably the best introduction to her character available. And it's by far my favorite comic that's out right now. After that I'd recommend reading her new 52 comic because it focuses on the Greek gods and her family. Even though I prefer her legend of wonder woman orgin and story the new 52 one is pretty good as well. I like the rebirth issues so far because her character feels more like wonder woman to be and I've heard good things about the writer so I think that'll be a good jumping off point if you don't want to bother with the new 52 comic. I also heard really good things about Gail Simone so I'm going to read her run on wonderwoman as well. I'm liking birds of prey so I think her wonder woman will be a really good read.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.