Thoughts On The New Superhero Girls?

#1 Posted by SaintWildcard (22052 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

The Luaren Faust led reboot of the Superhero Girls franchise has hit the airwaves with a one hour special. Having checked it out (despite that I'll probably fail to keep up with it), it's a solid reboot and IMO better than the original. Both in terms of animation and set up. This is basically a fusion of both Super Best Friends and Faust's My Little Pony, under the banner of Superhero Girls.

Most people won't care, but the copy pasting of her Donna Troy character and making her Diana is off putting. If I had any gripes it's how the special hits ever High School Superhero trope in the book. It makes me look back and some of my early concepts and twinge.

Overall, it was enjoyable and I wish it the best if this is the last time I ever watch it.

What did you think? How do you feel about WW's role in this?

#2 Posted by Archizooom (2207 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked it, I like that Wonder Woman is the team leader, she’s super cute, I love her sparkly golden lasso and it made me laugh. DC needs to make up their mind as to whether or not Wonder Woman flies and commit to their decision though

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
#3 Edited by masterwitcher88 (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

It was surprisingly fun to watch. This is kind of how Star vs the Forces of Evil started, then they added Toffee and boy... did that show get really good. I hope it does well. I loved all the voice actors and all of Hippolyta's scenes.

My one gripe is still Wonder WOMAN being on a team of girls. I cant help but be like, that should be wonder girl and I mean Cassie not Donna. I just don't like the comparison to the younger heroes. Especially supergirl, Diana is more powerful then her, yet the show portrays them to be equals in strength. There are other things like the Amazons still not having any tech and being more like Vikings then Greeks (seriously, it was a Viking ship even). Diana not being able fly.

#4 Posted by SaintWildcard (22052 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Lex supposed to be a teenager? ... that bugs me more than Lois being a teenager in a world where Superman is an adult hero. They seem to be hinting at him being a villain for the show. The voice for him is off, as is the new design. Lena as a child villain was a neat twist.

I really liked it, I like that Wonder Woman is the team leader, she’s super cute, I love her sparkly golden lasso and it made me laugh. DC needs to make up their mind as to whether or not Wonder Woman flies and commit to their decision though

Maybe she gains it down the line..... but probably not

It was surprisingly fun to watch. This is kind of how Star vs the Forces of Evil started, then they added Toffee and boy... did that show get really good. I hope it does well. I loved all the voice actors and all of Hippolyta's scenes.

Star Vs is pretty great, and Toffee is my number one in terms of Western Cartoon TV villains. It's possible the show becomes more story driven, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if you are looking for it to become as good as Star Vs.

#5 Posted by SaintWildcard (22052 posts) - - Show Bio

I have nothing to base it off, and I don't know much about Greek Fashion... but I do get a greek vibe from Diana's school outfit.

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
#6 Posted by masterwitcher88 (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

@saintwildcard: Diana is fine. It's the Amazons that gives me Viking vibes. The armor and the ship. I still hate how they dont have advanced tech and are still in the bronze age.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.