Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

The Wonder Woman Personality Disconnect (BLOG POST)

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WDW

The Wonder Woman Personality Disconnect

I have come to realize there is generally a huge disconnect between Wonder Woman Fans which may be contributing to her problems getting a live Action gig.

Everybody knows she is an Amazon and comes from an all-female island. She has black hair blue eyes is every strong and wears one of the most recognized costumes in history. However nobody can really agree with what her personality is really like. I figured I would break down my thoughts on the major versions of Wonder Woman from a personality perspective so people can see some of the differences in Wonder Woman’s popular versions.

Lynda Carter TV Wonder Woman (Most Popular and widely known version)

Lynda Carter Wonder Woman is a kind sweet virtuous 3000 year old immortal amazon who enjoys being subordinate to Steve Trevor. She never really has an opinion about the world around her even though she is 3000 years old. She is quite happy working for the United Stated government and never ever loses her temper. She always smiles and is never upset.

Corruption and conflict do not exist in her world. She has no arch enemies and nobody can really challenge her or push her to her limits. All her choices are painfully easy choices to make. She is never put in a position that questions her ideals. Everything around her is either black or white.

She has no life outside of working for the government and being wonder woman in order to protect Steve’s interests. She is a perfect Woman from a perfect society prim and always proper and is never forced to make life and death decisions.

She will go out of her way to uphold the law. There is very little emphasis on her Greek mythological background. She is able to change into Wonder Woman by spinning around in circles she has an invisible jet and a magic lasso which makes people tell the truth.

She has NO friends or hobbies. She has no love interests. She rebuffs everyone who even remotely hits on her. She has no real personality. She has no reason for living other than to protect Steve Trevor and Work for the American government.

Her secret Identity is Diana Prince and as Diana Prince she is weak and pathetic. She loses all her strength and abilities which is strange since none of the other amazons seem to share this weakness. What’s the point of her de-powering herself? Also all the other Amazons are about the same strength as Wonder Woman herself. (By the way I liked this show growing up)

Comic book Wonder Woman (Second most popular version Comic Fans)

Wonder Woman is a 25ish year old compassionate caring, stubborn, opinionated, highly competitive immortal Amazon Warrior Woman with superhuman powers given to her by the GODs. She has no secret identity and the whole world knows who she is. She is extremely popular and well liked. She has an agent who schedules and handles all her media engagements. She authorized her likeness to be used in a line of Wonder Woman dolls and also made deals for a Wonder Woman comic about her life. She even approved the making of a Wonder Woman movie. Her main source of income is from her merchandising however she also collects paycheck from the Justice League of America as a member. She is for the most part indifferent about her popularity in the media. She has also worked in a fast food restaurant and done other odd jobs. She eventually became and ambassador to Theymiscara.

Comic Book Wonder Woman goes out of her way to help everyday people with everyday problems and actively tries to make the world a better place rather than simply reacting to the threat of the day. She funds charities around the world and is outspoken about her believes and hopes for the world. She tends to prefer teaching others to overcome obstacles themselves rather than outright solving for them.

Comic Book Wonder Woman is a warrior born. She is an expert with swords, staffs, Bows, Axes Shields. Spears you name it. She tries to avoid conflict but if pressed she will engage in battle and on occasion lose herself in the pleasure that she feels when she is free to let loss in a deadly battle.

Comic book Wonder woman will not hesitate to break the law if it’s for the greater good. She will not hide from her actions and always make herself available to face to consequences. She has killed people more than once when necessary. Comic Book Wonder Woman can FLY like superman, she has an unbreakable lasso which makes you tell the truth. She is in the same category as superman in strength and can pretty much block any projectile or energy weapon with her bracelets

Justice League Animated Version Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman is a compassionate caring, stubborn, opinionated, highly competitive, outgoing, immortal Amazon Woman who is secretly attracted to Bruce Wayne.

She lives on an all-female island but left after being summoned by Martian Man hunter to help fight a threat to the earth. She was forbidden by her mother to help “man’s world” but disobeyed her mother. Stole her armor and went to help anyway. She was eventually banned from her island and lived on the Watch Tower.

She has no secret identity and everyone knows who she is. She on occasion tries to develop a relationship with Batman.

For the most part she is tolerant to the world around her however she is capable of losing her cool and even injuring someone who happens to cross her path if she is in a bad mood. She also tends to hold grudges but only on the most serious of offenses.

She is a very highly skilled fighter. Her strength is in the same category as superman.

She will blatantly break laws for the greater good and go against a decision made by the justice league if it was for the greater good.

Wonder Woman 2009 Animated Movie

Wonder Woman is a 25ish year old compassionate caring, stubborn, opinionated, naïve, forgiving immortal Amazon Warrior. Wonder Woman just arrived in “man’s world” and is a bit upset about the way women let them be treated. She is naïve to the world but quickly gets up to speed.

She has just met her first man Steve Trevor. At first she is suspicious of him and his motives but eventually finds herself caring for him.

She is a warrior on a mission to stop Ares from initiating a war. She is fearless and focused on her objectives. She fights and she kills in order to succeed. Nothing short of her death will stop her in her mission.

In the end she kisses Steve Trevor and it is suggested that they are living together.

Kelley’s TV PILOT Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman is a 25ish old compassionate caring, stubborn, opinionated, passionate Amazon Woman, She is the most well-known person in the world. She formed a company which capitalized on her popularity in order to support her activities as Wonder Woman. She is billionaire but not a DIVA

Wonder Woman’s “approval rating” is an important crime fighting asset which allows her to bend and break certain laws which result in the quick capture of her suspects. She is a vigilante as all superheroes are however her approach is different. She does not hide in the shadows like Batman. Nor does she do her job and quickly leave the scene like Superman. Wonder Woman’s approach is to be completely transparent and open to the public about what she is trying to accomplish. She gives press conferences and makes her actions open to question and debate. By doing this she exposes herself to all sorts of litigation and prosecution however she is so popular and trusted that nobody really wants to be the one to prosecute her.

It is known that Wonder Woman is also Diana Theymiciara. However Diana chooses to use an alter ego at times named Diana Prince. Her reasons for using an alter ego is she simply wants to be alone and not deal with the pressure of being the most popular person on the planet.

Diana dated and lived with Steve Trevor. Diana broke up with him to become Wonder Woman. She still loves Steve and misses him. However Steve is now married.

The Drama unfolds when Wonder Woman’s only alternative to save the lives of innocent victims hidden in Veronica Cales secret lab. Is to charge in beat-up the Super Human criminals and save the captives. In the process she seriously injured Veronica Cales Super solider Hench men and killed an out of control security guard all of which was caught on tape.

In the next episode Wonder Woman would no doubt be dragged into court to defend her actions and we would even get further character development (based on Kelley’s script. However the show was cancelled because the script was leaked purposefully on the internet by NBC in-order to get out from paying the hefty Wonder Woman license Fee

Honestly, Wonder Woman is not a complicated character. She is just a character who has been placed on a very high pedestal and imprisoned in a static environment. She is now an ideal, a fantasy, a fond, and precious, cherished memory from a childhood long passed, in some situations that might be ok but there are so many conflicting ideals about who Wonder Woman is and stands for that it seems like any attempt to do a live action movie or TV show will result in automatic ridicule.

I personally think Kelley’s Wonder Woman if picked up could have given Wonder Woman a SOLID personality for the first time in LIVE ACTION history while keeping a lot of comic book functionality. Even if it was not perfect the fans could have really influenced and steered the show in a better direction.

Sigh

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TAneT62

I absolutely love this fan made pic! Better than then the costume in her 2011 failed re-boot, 100 times better.

wonderW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wonderW

Me to but i like the up to date one 

Wonder Woman Movie
    Wonder Woman Movie
    TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TAneT62

@wonderW: I don't considerably like this one as much as the one i showed, but this is awesome! =]

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

If this isn't the definitive article on the Gail Simone run Wonder Woman I resign ...

http://writeups.org/fiche.php?id=5167

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WDW

I really disliked the Diana Prince Alter ego in Gails Run. It really added no value in my opinion.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TAneT62

LOL

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brettjett

@WDW:

Read the "Personality profile" section of my reference guide, "Who Is WW?":

http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4182

In it, I profile her personality based on the ORIGIN concept laid down by Dr. Marston, and updated. Basically, she's this big kid with firm sense of duty & responsibility, the need to protect that which is valuable to her

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WDW

@brettjett said:

@WDW:

Read the "Personality profile" section of my reference guide, "Who Is WW?":

http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4182

In it, I profile her personality based on the ORIGIN concept laid down by Dr. Marston, and updated. Basically, she's this big kid with firm sense of duty & responsibility, the need to protect that which is valuable to her

In my opinion Its good but a little long. I don't think your average comic book reader is going to read all that.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wdw: Ho! Ho! Ho!

I really really like your thread post! LOL

Such candor! MY style.

Anyway, I actually agree with your assessment of the various WW incarnations. You should read MY report that I wrote back in 2009: (I forgot the link!)

But as far as making it clear as to her definite personality, one should either study the Marston chronicles, or my articles. But basically she's:

Humourous, playful, funloving, disciplined, the most human & passionate of all the Amazons, dominant, and ready/willing (& STUBBORN!) to step in to defend her humanistic values. Basically, she's a big kid with a big heart, who's also a fighter. She loves challenges.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wonderw: wonder woman need a little bit muscle:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman: THAT IS A SURE FIRE WAY OF HER NOT SELLING IN ANY MEDIA… No offense, but, Silly idea in my opinion. She has superpowers, she needs to be feminine not masculine. She´s the first and best female hero, she ought celebrate that femininity. Not be turned into a ´male hero´ who just happens to be a woman.

ala

Clarice Starling,

Buffy The Vampire Slayer,

Hit Girl,

Catwoman, Nolan and Burton.

Making her a muscle woman is a disasteruous idea.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Even in the comics book,you can see wonder woman has muscle...

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By fodigg

Good job pointing out the competing directions WW is being pulled. WW is a "big" character thematically and has a number of different interpretations. She's hardly the only superhero to suffer this problem—the many faces of Wolverine come to mind—and for any mainstream presentation, a balance has to be struck that will appeal to these different groups, both in her personality and in her physique. But WW should exemplify the following regardless of her exact portrayal:

• Strong (physically, morally)
    • Courageous
    • Compassionate
    • Determined
    • Outspoken (this one is important—she's supposed to be out of place in our society and that means standing out/speaking out)

These might seem generic, but that's not unexpected for such a classic, archetypal character.

But look where you can go from that starting point. You could make her wise and perfect. You could make her passionate but bloodthirsty. You could make her naive but plucky. You could make her powerful but goofy. There are so many spins you could put on that simple core of the character. I think that's a strength of the property.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SNascimento

We don't know her age in the animated movie, they left it open on purpose.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@wdw said:

I personally think Kelley’s Wonder Woman if picked up could have given Wonder Woman a SOLID personality for the first time in LIVE ACTION history while keeping a lot of comic book functionality. Even if it was not perfect the fans could have really influenced and steered the show in a better direction.

Sigh

I completely agree with this statement.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Lynda Carter version had a solid personality, the op is wrong. She was sweet and good natured, but she did get angry on rare occasions and she questioned her ideals. It happened more so during her 1940's adventures, when she was first confronted with the differences in Man's World. Then the writers chose to refrain from the overtly feminist messages and tone down the violence. She went from punching and kicking, to pushing and shoving and stopped talking about how women can do anything they put their minds to.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No body like wonder woman have some muscle?!

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is, Wonder Woman is supposed to be an inspiration to ALL women, not just female body builders. Most women don't want biceps bigger than their boyfriend's and most men don't want that either. Besides, it completely goes against what Marston intended and there's enough of that going around already.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They just need to make Gina Carano Wonder Woman so her and Henry can be a superhero couple.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bogey said:

They just need to make Gina Carano Wonder Woman so her and Henry can be a superhero couple.

click on it
    click on it

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

she needs to be athletic/muscular since she ain't no sissy

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lilben42

She doesn't need alot of muscle on her!

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her powers come from magic, there's no need for muscles.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.