Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

STAR WARS 9: A New Kind Of Resolution.....Marston style.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ya know, its really fk'd up how the zealot faction of Wonder Woman fans always want to emphasize her force of strength. Dominance, dominance, dominance, dominance...that's all they crave!!

Now, if you’ve been doing your reading (either of my popular manuscript PDF or other scholars' material), then you'd know that creator William Moulton Marston emphasized submission for people. And this was reflected in his WW character. That’s why he intended WW to conquer with love and designed her to be humane even to her opponents.

THAT was the heart of it all! Not "emPOWERment". All that other stuff was secondary, and even then it was within the bounds of the FIRST commandment that is love-humanity.

Outside of his fiction endeavors, Dr. Marston emphasized that the way society will change for the better is if love leaders took precedence. A love leader is basically a woman trained in the proper attributes, who is then put into positions of influence to change the precedence toward a new one that values humanity and love.

Apparently Hollywood didn't read Dr. Marston's work, considering all the emphasis on dominance, dominance, dominance, the so-called "girl power", in the earlier depictions of female protagonists during the so-called “second” and “third” wave of feminist popularity in pop culture. There wasn’t much difference between the outcomes of male heroes and female heroes.

It wasn’t until a little later (late 90’s) that I started to see more of the quality that Dr. Marston was going after. La Femme Nikita, Katniss, etc. These characters actually had a problem with killing (even tho they did it anyway). Which was a far cry from the bloodcurdling lack of humane feeling of most male action heroes (ie. John McClain), killing other human beings like it was a normal thing to do.

These days, I've noticed that people behind the scenes in mainstream (particularly Hollywood) have had Dr. Marston's idea in mind. And as a result, I’ve seen it more in the way they portray female protagonists...this focus on women taking the more humane approach to things.

I don't know if its because every person behind the scenes in Hollywood is a WW fan or a Dr. Marston disciple, or if its simply a slight shift in consciousness during this early part of the Aquarian Age we live in...but it is, nonetheless, in the spirit of Dr. Marston's intentions!

This trend was happening long before the WW movie came out. I think the WW movie was just a very tall milestone that signalled what's already been happening in Hollywood.

So when it came to all this pre-movie buzz about the EXCITING and possibly SHOCKING conclusion sequel to this Star Wars Saga, I've had one thought (prediction?) on my mind the WHOLE TWO years after STAR WARS 8:THE LAST JEDI came out:

I had figured (or more so, "hoped"?) that the hallmark of the upcoming STAR WARS 9 movie would be that the female hero Rey would follow in this Marstonian tradition, and shall defeat her antagonist Kylo Ren, not by killing him, but through love and thereby turning him from the Darkside.

Now THAT would be a sea-change for the decade!

Here's hoping that Rey doesn't become "Kylo Rey", the new Sith lord!

We don't really know if it'll be so, but you should HOPE that it'll end THAT way!

Becuz if so, this marks another milestone for consciousness change in mainstream pop culture...a trend more toward humane endings, and away from the "Die-Hard" type endings where opponents/antagonists are killed out of desperation and then relief after their death. Which is very unhealthy, both in fiction and in real life.

What do you guys think? Will it be so?

AND...what do you guys HOPE will happen in the ending??

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I agree with things that you say here.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I just saw the STAR WARS 9 movie. The end result was kinda as I predicted, and kinda not quite. I'll write more about it after New Years...when we have entered the Soaring 20's!!

2020.....Ah! Its one of those hallmark years that earlier generations have been looking forward to, much in the same way as '2000', '1984', or '1999'. Here yo, here it is upon us!

I'll be back and hopefully be able to give all you in the geek community, WW fans and non alike, a better "2020 vision" of the future age to come, by not "giving" you something per se so much as taking away...the blinders away from your eyes, and show you the truth of the "Matrix". Because that, from my wisdom, is at the root of society's problem today (and part of yester-days).

Happy new decade!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.