Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should she ditch the sword?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

WW's fighting style was always more suited to her lasso pre new 52 but now she seems more interested in her sword. i personally prefer her lasso because its more defensive in nature, which goes along with her message

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think she should use anything available to her. She's the best melee fighter after all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: she is i just want to see her use that lasso more often lol

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the lasso too. But most writers probably hate that coz it's hard to make stories as the lasso is a one-shot weapon. That's why they have to dumb her down a bit.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
    deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she should have the sword, but only use it on rare occasions. So when we see her get her sword we know something big is gonna go down. She should absolutely not carry it around often, because it is a symbol of violence.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like the sword, but they need to use the lasso more.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lasso is the Mjolnir to Wonder Woman's Thor, the shield to Wonder Woman's Captain America, it's no sillier a weapon than a hammer and sword-toting chicks are a dime a dozen. Replacing such an iconic and unique weapon by a random-looking tool of death was an incredibly dumb decision imo

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The main that I find strange about the sword is, she's often shown fighting with it, but she somehow rarely actually kills anyone with it.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#9  Edited By darkdetective27

Yeah she needs to use her lasso more. Its her iconic weapon sure it might be hard to work it into a fight but it is still a big part of her and her history. She can use the sword once in a while maybe in big battles but she use her lasso as her main weapon.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lasso is the Mjolnir to Wonder Woman's Thor, the shield to Wonder Woman's Captain America, it's no sillier a weapon than a hammer and sword-toting chicks are a dime a dozen. Replacing such an iconic and unique weapon by a random-looking tool of death was an incredibly dumb decision imo

Dude, comparing the most badass weapon of the Viking god to a cowboy rope is heresy. Just because WW lasso is iconic doesn't mean it's impractical and mostly used to detain bad guys and submit to truth. Plus IMO the sword seperates her from the iconic brawling Superman and Batman who would be another generic martial artist + super brawler.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: not really. the lasso has always been used in interesting ways(as a weapon and a shield) and highlights a less violent fighting style which matches Diana's compassionate personality and message. Writers just need to be more clever in how they utilize it. and the analogy of it being cap's shield is perfect because just like cap's weapon is one that is meant to defend and protect Diana's lasso sorta has that same message(though it also speaks to her message of truth etc.)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ditch it? No buuuut but I would like a bit less of it.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

WW is a warrior and she use everything she got.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: If you really think about the Mjolnir, it's a cross between a pet and a hammer that Thor wields on the battlefield and that doubles as an air vehicle. It's a goofy concept for a weapon but they sold the public on it and they could likewise sell the lasso with just a little bit of imagination, vision and some expertise. We've seen Wonder Woman use the lasso in ways that would've been more efficient against the hordes of Apokalips, she can use it as a whip, she can tie a kunai to the end of it and make a rope javelin, she can do many cool things with it. So I maintain that sidelining such a cool and singular weapon in favor of one so common and deadly was incredibly stupid. Now Wonder Woman is a barbarian oaf that cuts her own teammates and points her sword at innocent ice cream vendors..it beats me

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

I don't think the sword as a standard weapon. I don't think she'd use it in the majority of her fights for the same reason Beowulf refused to use a sword against Grendel. It would be dishonorable use a sword against unarmed opponents no matter how strong they are. Also with her often on diplomatic missions of peace it's just poor form for her to be waving around a sword the whole time. Wonder Woman can be just about as deadly with a lasso as she can with a sword, but it's still less threatening.

Also I think the sword makes her look weak compared to the other top tier characters. Superman, and the other heroes of his power level don't swing around swords so her using one all the time implies that she needs one to keep up with all them On the other hand lasso doesn't make her any more powerful, but rather serves to demonstrate just how skilled of a fighter she is. I also think the Lasso is just a more vissually dynamic weapon to see in action. Here are a few videos showing what they could do with it.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

I think she should keep her arsenal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: It isn't just some sword. The sword is specifically made to take people of Superman's caliber down. I know it makes her look weak but it can be useful in some situations. Thor wouldn't need a hammer if that was the case.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: It isn't just some sword. The sword is specifically made to take people of Superman's caliber down. I know it makes her look weak but it can be useful in some situations. Thor wouldn't need a hammer if that was the case.

That's my point she should need a sword to take on people of Superman's caliber. Thor is a little different given that the hammer is directly tied to his concept. Also with less powerhouses in the Marvel universe it isn't as much of an issue that all his greatest feats are actually the hammer's feats.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less sword would be good ... the Lasso is iconic to her character and should, IMO, always be her "go-to" weapon.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No. I like the sword.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sword is kinda silly in this power class...I mean there are only two possibilities:

A, The swords cuts everyone even herald level, then it would be completely overpowered and every proper Superman type char would suddenly try to get a descent one and run around like a street lvler. (or even better, get a mystic assault rifle)

B, Its pretty useless against serious opponents, then using her fists would be probably more useful...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wouldnt say the sword is ridiculous because of the class level, weapons go with her fighting style in general. the problem, i have, is that the sword shouldnt be a main weapon because it doesnt fit her personality or general premise the same way the lasso does

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goddess of War without a Sword?

Screw that noise.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: If you really think about the Mjolnir, it's a cross between a pet and a hammer that Thor wields on the battlefield and that doubles as an air vehicle. It's a goofy concept for a weapon but they sold the public on it and they could likewise sell the lasso with just a little bit of imagination, vision and some expertise. We've seen Wonder Woman use the lasso in ways that would've been more efficient against the hordes of Apokalips, she can use it as a whip, she can tie a kunai to the end of it and make a rope javelin, she can do many cool things with it. So I maintain that sidelining such a cool and singular weapon in favor of one so common and deadly was incredibly stupid. Now Wonder Woman is a barbarian oaf that cuts her own teammates and points her sword at innocent ice cream vendors..it beats me

The hammer is a instrument of battle, it's meant to hurt. Same with Cap's Shield, they are fundamentally combat applicable for battle usage. And Thor also uses it to summon magical weather and energy like a wand or scepter to go with his magical tie to being a godly being. The lasso is tamer in comparison, it has no sharpness or blunt force momentum to strike foes and deal damage, it has been used to capture or tie and restrict moment like a defensive tatic. Unless it's got the abilities of a sword, hammer or weapon with blunt force due to magic, it would be silly too. And too much of a dues ex, Wondy is also a warrior demi goddess trained in weaponry and skills. It makes her a traditional battle mold from the brawling types Batman and Superman are about, and her skills are more pronounced as a greek trained amazon and not this ridiculous self trained improbable weapons user that so many protagonists are about(thor is in this catergory but at least he;s half summoner and a Viking god), she actually fights with skills of a authentic greek master fighter.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@jimishim12: You honestly think using a lasso doesn't take skill. Also, as others have said the lasso has other powers, like breaking people free from mind control, consecration and even psychologically traumatize enemies.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@brunnhilde: She does seem to like pointing her sword at everyone and anyone as if it was a stick. Not really what I would expect from a warrior of peace.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sword is kinda silly in this power class...I mean there are only two possibilities:

A, The swords cuts everyone even herald level, then it would be completely overpowered and every proper Superman type char would suddenly try to get a descent one and run around like a street lvler. (or even better, get a mystic assault rifle)

B, Its pretty useless against serious opponents, then using her fists would be probably more useful...

Yeah there are times it's implied that her sword can cut through top level characters like butter, but I'm not aware of any times we've actually seen her do that, and if she could that's just too powerful. If it can't then she might as well be swinging around a stick. The lasso on the other hand with it's range, and grappling applications is much handier for a top level character, and really shows how exceptional their skill is.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hammer is a instrument of battle, it's meant to hurt. Same with Cap's Shield, they are fundamentally combat applicable for battle usage. And Thor also uses it to summon magical weather and energy like a wand or scepter to go with his magical tie to being a godly being. The lasso is tamer in comparison, it has no sharpness or blunt force momentum to strike foes and deal damage, it has been used to capture or tie and restrict moment like a defensive tatic. Unless it's got the abilities of a sword, hammer or weapon with blunt force due to magic, it would be silly too. And too much of a dues ex, Wondy is also a warrior demi goddess trained in weaponry and skills. It makes her a traditional battle mold from the brawling types Batman and Superman are about, and her skills are more pronounced as a greek trained amazon and not this ridiculous self trained improbable weapons user that so many protagonists are about(thor is in this catergory but at least he;s half summoner and a Viking god), she actually fights with skills of a authentic greek master fighter.

She can and she has inflicted damage with the lasso, heck she's even killed someone by accident with it, she can do many more things with it than just tie people up. Blunt weapons are more or less redundant for the likes of Wonder Woman and a sword is not a very good choice of weapon to subdue an opponent without straight up killing them, there's not a lot one can do with a bladed weapon. So although she's always depicted with it, she doesn't actually use it or she doesn't use it properly in order to prolong the battle which doesn't give a very good image of Wonder Woman's swordsmanship, she doesn't look brilliant with it. But when she wields the lasso, her skills really do shine all the way through. You should watch those well-choreographed fights with Superwoman and the Furies of Apokolips, you'll come around.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Archizooom
    Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dislike that sword she's an ambassador for peace and yet she openly carries an offence only weapon around.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.