Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Shhh...

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Evil-Incarnate

Diana's mission is clear to create peace throughout the land. A noble mission indeed but, with that being said does it take it's toll on her action scenes? I'll be honest there has been plenty an ocassion when I wanted her to close her trap and just cut loose. Does Diana need less talk more action? Is it because she's "preachy" that many comic fans find her a turnoff? .
    BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

I don`t know I mean Wonder Woman stands for piece and Amazone power and piece ....so I think she`s ment to be so...piecefull .

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By nightwing91
    @Evil Incarnate:  She preaches peace, but she isn't always peaceful. She is the only major hero I can think of DC who kills if absolutely necessary or if pushed to far. If you want to see how brutual Diana really can be look at her fight against Genocide the last one and you'll see.
    Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Evil-Incarnate

I know Diana can get down when needed it's just for the majority of her fights she seeks the alternative (which is good and the fact her success rate is higher than any other hero I can think of is better.) but, and I hate myself for saying this there are sometimes I wish she would pull a Wolverine. That made me sick to say. :(

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nightwing91
    @Evil Incarnate: Wonder woman should never be like wolverine, she doesn't like violence. Seeking the alternative is the fact that she doesn't want to hurt anyone, she knows she's one of the most strongest beings on the planet.Sometimes she loses her temper, but I think the fact she is willing to kill comes from the fact that unlike Bruce or Kal-el she hasn't had a giant defining tragedy in her life like they have.
    Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Evil-Incarnate

I know I don't care much for the anti hero type. Using Wolverine was a bad example. I guess what I'm saying is I want her battles to be better. They just seem to leave me empty and wanting more. I see her fight and I'm like "Is that it?", "Couldn't she have?" I just expect better of her.

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nightwing91
    @Evil Incarnate: I think her fights are really done thinking back to the superman fight from sacrifice and against genocide when pushed to her breaking point. Her fights are more like a cross between supermans and batmans.
    Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Evil-Incarnate

Maybe the problem is I just expect more and none of the stories have satisfied that yet.
    nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nightwing91
    @Evil Incarnate: Some stories featuring her can be lacking without the right write I agree with that by large though, she is one of my favorite all time characters.
    Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Evil-Incarnate
    @nightwing91: 

Ditto she's one of my favs. I think some writers have a hard time getting a grasp on her.
    nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nightwing91
    @Evil Incarnate:
    Well I believe it's just hard for some writers to grasp her powers, my favorite recent run for her though was recently. When Gail Simmone was writing her.
    RubyShadesp3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By RubyShadesp3
    @nightwing91:
    Taking your opinion concerning writers having difficulty grasping her powers one step further, I think most writers struggle with grasping her personality (her powers being an extension of that). It seems like Wonder Woman has been unofficially declared to be the hero that could springboard a writer's career if only they could redo her right. The problem with that is she doesn't really need a redo; she needs writers who stick to continuity (including her personality) and build off of it.

@Evil Incarnate:
    With that said, I don't think it would be in-character if Diana were to let lose the way that you suggest. I was at a Wonder Woman panel a few years back where Gail said part of her approach at writing Wonder Woman was thinking of her book as an adventure tale, not an action one. Greg Rucka then made a comment along the lines of agreeing with her and really liking her outlook. IMHO, Rucka did a fabulous job writing Diana and Simone was pretty good.

When it comes down to it, Wonder Woman might have a super strength and top notch fighting skills but a huge part of her character is that she doesn't find herself in a smack down all the time (it would make her very one dimensional if she did). There have been a few writers who felt the need to show her in one quite often, but I've always found that those were the writers who completely missed her purpose. I think a lot of readers just don't quite grasp that Diana is so much more than what has been portrayed as the stereotypical Amazon, and, unfortunately, DC hasn't done much to rectify that (when the writers do understand her it seems editorial mandates get in the way). For me, Diana is an ideal form of "good," and that is the major reason why I like her (just as Superman's Boy Scout personality is one of the major reasons why I like him).
    nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nightwing91
    @RubyShadesp3: Ruckas run on wonder woman is one of the high points of her comics. And I pretty much agree with everything you have to say.
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Jotham

Yeah, she's for peace. Peace through strength.

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Evil-Incarnate
    @RubyShadesp3: 

I don't find the need for her to engage in every battle as a merciless beast but, I would like to see her buttons pressed. I know there's always another way to end a fight and she seems to be the best at defusing her opponents will that way. It's just that sometimes she seems to be the punching bag and that's what annoys me beyond all else.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Diana is all about peace and love...

No Caption Provided

...well, most of the time. 

WW rules.
    nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nightwing91
    @Evil Incarnate: Diana isn't quick to anger though, she is about peace. Whenever she's killed it's been for a good reason. And there has been plenty of times she does get angry.
    Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Evil-Incarnate
    @nightwing91:  

I have no need for her to go all Max Lord on everyone. I just get annoyed when I see her on the losing end when I know she could do better.  I guess it's because most of the time I see her on the defense and others take that as a weakness or a loss. Just look at the Scarifice fight. Many people look at that and can only see her losing. When I look at it I see her defending herself while holding back because she didn't want to hurt a dear friend. I tend to see that a lot with her. She always seems to come to blows with other heroes and because she doesn't want to hurt them she holds back. While I clearly understand the reasoning behind it to others it just makes them sleep on her. They mistake her kindness for a weakness. 

@FadeToBlackBolt: 

Haha. lol
    Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

WW's values predate the Judeo-Chrstian notion of "Thou shalt not kill".  She is very keenly aware of the value of life, but if the threat is big enough she will kill to preserve as much life as possible.  It's more a "need of the many" philosophy.  And then there is the saying that the best way to win a fight is to avoid it,   As a warrior that's the kind of starting strategy WW would automatically adopt.  Being a warrior she understands the value of peace better than those who have only known peace in their lives.  If there is a character who can make a hardened criminal back down with a single stare or a word, it's WW.  She doesn't need threats, her personality, charisma and body language should be obvious to any but the most obtuse.

RubyShadesp3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By RubyShadesp3
    @Evil Incarnate:   I agree that Diana has been used far too much as an object and not a character. I guess I just don't see her as someone who uses her power as a solution to situations. Honestly, I'm not a fan of comics that focus on the action. I'm much more interested in the characters, how situations affect them, and why they are the way they are in general. I think Diana's true strength (her personality is what makes her different from those who have similar powers) shines when we get to read stories that show the complexity of her nature.

@FadeToBlackBolt: As kapitein_zeppos already pointed out, Diana is all about the greater good. The whole Max Lord situation was a great opportunity for DC to show Diana's complexity, but TPTB killed the planned conclusion, and now we're stuck with a lackluster semi-ending (Thank you OYL jump). I hope one day they revisit the event and give the readers greater insight into what was going on in Diana's head and how it affected her.
    Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Evil-Incarnate
    @RubyShadesp3: 

Unfortunately Diana gets treated as a second stringer way too often in the big events. If she ever is in focus it's the trinity as a whole. True Diana is one to stick to her guns. I really like the way Gail was taking a personal interest in exploring Diana's personal life as well as her superhero life. Many fail to realize that for the most part Diana isn't Wonder Woman but, Wonder Woman is Diana. Her life in and out of the costume mirror each other.
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By MrDirector786

Wonder Woman is about peace. I think what turns people away from her are people may not find her rogues gallery appealing or may not like her costume or things like that. I think some of her villains need to start appearing in other comic series. I wonder how this could work with the new Wonder Woman though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.