Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Ranking The Last 3 Origin Mini Series

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

So I have like a ton of comics on my Comixolgy, since I always buy shit when it's on sale. It's gotten really bad and I have like something between 50-100 trades that I haven't read. With Christmas break taking place, I'm starting to read them and I got around to reading the WW origins. To be specific, Legends of Wonder Woman, Earth One and True Amazon. I've just gonna do some quick reviews on each and rank them from worst to best.

3) Wonder Woman: Earth One

No Caption Provided

Probably the most looked forward to out of the whole Earth One series and IMO the most disappointing. The true star of the book is the artist Yanick Paquette, since Grant Morrison was severely lacking. Grant Morrison always seems to care about the overall history of the characters he writes for and wants to give proper updates to old concepts as opposed to just polishing them. It was no different here, and for the most part he did a good job introducing cool concepts.... but that's all it was, cool concepts. Morrison put himself in this spot where he undertook so much world building in the span of something equivalent to like 4.5 issues. This story feels way to rushed and things happen so quickly, that if you blink you miss it. Morrison arrogantly proclaimed how much he went out of his way to put no action. If it wasn't for the super short amount of time, I'd say he should have added it. Point is, it's short and things happen way to quickly with very little development.

Rating- 3/10

2) Wonder Woman: The True Amazon

No Caption Provided

The next book on the Wonder Woman origin tour is the True Amazon. I don't know much about the creative team, I just think the writer worked on some important runs like with Perez. Anyway, this book is on the polar opposite side of Earth One in terms of art. A bit of an acquired taste, but nothing that shockingly bad. What is shocking is how they decided to make Wonder Woman a spoiled princess who is always used to getting her way. The story the revolves around her trying to impress one person who doesn't give in to her charms. Diana's actions then lead to chaos and her eventual exodus off Paradise Island in order to redeem herself. Much like the art, the characterization is also an acquired taste. Where this story benefits is that it uses its short page count well. It's got a clear goal of getting her off the island and it sets off to do it. I think it's choices make it interesting enough. Like the bratty portrayal of a young Diana and her not leaving the island because of Steve Trevor. I would have liked to see the relationship between Diana and the stable girl develop a little more than it did, but that's really my only gripe with it. A fine enough read

Rating- 6/10

1) The Legend of Wonder Woman

No Caption Provided

This book has a huge advantage as it's more than twice the length of any of the other books. A whopping 250+ pages with really good art and a huge story. Not to say it's perfect, but this story has made me like certain concepts that I didn't really care for, like the Hercules history. Every character benefits from the longer page count, since characters like Etta Candy (love her) get some solid development. I think the story and the character interactions are what hold the story up, for the most part the villain and threat (outside the war stuff) are kind of lack luster. I would love to see where the story would have gone after this, but I think it got cancelled. Diana does come off as overly timid at times, and not much can be said about Steven Trevor.

Rating- 7.5/10

Marishtar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Marishtar

Interessting, i havn't read The Legend of Wonder Woman so far, but i agree mostly with your 2 other reviews.

So i guess i should read TLoWW then?

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TrueThemyscira

Earth One was pure garbage. Grant Morrison doesn't know anything about WW.

Legend of WW 7.5/10

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legend of WW 7.5/10

As soon as I heard what he said about his daughter I checked out from this book.

So you´re gonna change a whole characters history because your 5 year old daughter didn´t seem to "get" that she was made of clay. And your bright idea is make her daughter of Hercules?

Morron. If he hadn´t have written All-Star Superman I would have figured for a complete idiot.

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: "So you´re gonna change a whole characters history because your 5 year old daughter didn´t seem to "get" that she was made of clay."

No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SaintWildcard

@truethemyscira: @tedirey: A lot of hatred for this. What did you find so vile about it in particular? Curious

@marishtar said:

Interessting, i havn't read The Legend of Wonder Woman so far, but i agree mostly with your 2 other reviews.

Definitely. Very underrated and got out shined by Morrison's origin. No origin for me will ever top Azz's, but this was pretty close. My friend described it as trying to be a melting pot of all origins, giving each some spotlight.

May have to give Perez's run a read one day

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TrueThemyscira

@saintwildcard said:

@truethemyscira: @tedirey: A lot of hatred for this. What did you find so vile about it in particular? Curious

@marishtar said:

Definitely. Very underrated and got out shined by Morrison's origin. No origin for me will ever top Azz's, but this was pretty close. My friend described it as trying to be a melting pot of all origins, giving each some spotlight.

May have to give Perez's run a read one day

So you're all in for the daughter of Zeus origin?................eh.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@jphulk26 said:
    @truethemyscira said:

Legend of WW 7.5/10

As soon as I heard what he said about his daughter I checked out from this book.

So you´re gonna change a whole characters history because your 5 year old daughter didn´t seem to "get" that she was made of clay. And your bright idea is make her daughter of Hercules?

Morron. If he hadn´t have written All-Star Superman I would have figured for a complete idiot.

There is only one r in moron.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you're all in for the daughter of Zeus origin?................eh.

I'm a basic bitch when it comes to the origin, and I'm fine with it.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truethemyscira: You deleted but I'd like to do a short response. IMO, every story element has been done. There's almost nothing that is entirely original, and even the clay origin is just a different version of something like making a robot child, a genetic baby or a magic baby. Cliches abound, so it's gonna depend on how you work with it. John Wick is a perfect example of that. It does change up the revenge angle a bit, but it also does enough with the world to keep it interesting. As a Greek Mythology geek, I love all those gritty elements of it (betrayal, zeus being a slut, arrogance, the weird relationships they have), so to see wonder Woman have to deal with them more directly was interesting to see.

At the end of the day, I can't completely write off the Clay origin, just as much as no one should completely write off the Zeus origin. We may have our preferences, but a good writer should be able to do something with either.

And really, how common is the child of the gods angle? The only real thing I know outside of DC and Marvel is Percy Jackson.

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SaintWildcard

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.