Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

New G. Willow Wilson and Cary Nord Interview

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dshipp17

Willow gave an interview back on August 16, 2018. From the sample panels, surprisingly, for me, at least, the art isn't nearly as conservative as what I'd been anticipating and, by extension, dreading that just another post-2011 run would have to come and go; so, here's hoping, based on the art; Willow also said a couple of things that I liked, such as her material being geared towards long time Wonder Woman fans and that she'd looked into Marston's run. However, for me, at least, with the focus seemingly on a character other than Dr. Psycho, who is Ares, I'll have to just combing through her first issue or story arc, as I've been otherwise doing since 2011. But, on the bright side, the art is a bit more loose and liberal, as compared to the prior runs since 2011; I hope it gets better. Yet, seeing as she's seen Marston's run, perhaps she will finally modernize his themes and styles (e.g. the affects of chaining her bracelets together and the use of her lasso on her by a villain, at times, like Dr. Psycho).

Things are about to change for Diana of Themyscira.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

None of this really rocked my boat since so much of it was 'whats it like being allowed to write/draw Wonder Woman?'. Story hints... not much to say really, it doesn't sound like a reinvention of the wheel. However, from what I've heard elsewhere it might get more interesting down the line.

Art was... I kinds feel like it resembles Bengal to some degree, but lets see once colors have been added?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of this really rocked my boat since so much of it was 'whats it like being allowed to write/draw Wonder Woman?'. Story hints... not much to say really, it doesn't sound like a reinvention of the wheel. However, from what I've heard elsewhere it might get more interesting down the line.

Art was... I kinds feel like it resembles Bengal to some degree, but lets see once colors have been added?

The art gave a very subtle clue of Marston like material; note the regular thugs; that's what Marston was noted for; it's just that it got cut off before the next action; as with Marston material, the thugs could issue a threat and, then, command Wonder Woman to obey, with either the lasso or chaining her bracelets together; or, of course, it could take on a none creative, none Marston approach and just turn out that Wonder Woman just happened upon an incident, which would then be more consistent with the post-2011 material; it all depends, but, I'm trying to have hope.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @outside_85 said:

The art gave a very subtle clue of Marston like material; note the regular thugs; that's what Marston was noted for; it's just that it got cut off before the next action; as with Marston material, the thugs could issue a threat and, then, command Wonder Woman to obey, with either the lasso or chaining her bracelets together; or, of course, it could take on a none creative, none Marston approach and just turn out that Wonder Woman just happened upon an incident, which would then be more consistent with the post-2011 material; it all depends, but, I'm trying to have hope.

Which I get the impression is Steve's Oddball's squad appearing in a flashback/dream sequence Diana is experiencing before the phone rings to tell her Steve has gone missing.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @outside_85 said:

Which I get the impression is Steve's Oddball's squad appearing in a flashback/dream sequence Diana is experiencing before the phone rings to tell her Steve has gone missing.

Do you mean the dream sequence as a Marston connection?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @dshipp17 said:
    @outside_85 said:

Do you mean the dream sequence as a Marston connection?

No.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Dreading the point in the story when Wilson shoves in her tone deaf pro immigration message like she did in her Miss Marvel run. That's going to cause more unnecessary controversy given WW's higher profile.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
    @lvenger said:

Dreading the point in the story when Wilson shoves in her tone deaf pro immigration message like she did in her Miss Marvel run. That's going to cause more unnecessary controversy given WW's higher profile.

How could that be as bad as the writers that have portrayed her a warrior bitch and sexist when that couldn't be more far away from her character's roots?.

Also, which would be really odd considering Diana is an immigrant to America. But ofc the neo-cons thinks she's as American as apple pie.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@outside_85: But she’s from a place which is walled off from the outside World, the Amazons make a rather strong case against open borders

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
    Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Dreading the point in the story when Wilson shoves in her tone deaf pro-immigration message like she did in her Miss Marvel run. That's going to cause more unnecessary controversy given WW's higher profile.

Lol, coming from a person who has the world's most famous refugee as Profile picture.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: But she’s from a place which is walled off from the outside World, the Amazons make a rather strong case against open borders

Last time I checked the Amazons were not invading other countries or bombing other countries to stone age nor are they ally of Saudi Arabia.and other Dictatorship.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say thats depending on whenever or not you think immigration is a boon or not because you can do both with the Amazons:

• Boon: Sealed off they've managed to safeguard their culture and way of life for thousands of years.
    • Con: Because they've been sealed off like they have, they have largely remained in the bronze age.

Anyways, I was also more thinking about Diana rather than the Amazons. Diana's an immigrant to America, and traditionally she should actually be a figure of dread to neo-cons and the like, because she's here and she's trying to change the country/world to be more like the one she came from, not let her self be assimilated by the country she's arrived in.

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Wondy isn't street leveler in this either.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@agent41: Might not be as bad in terms of character depiction but it’ll cause needless controversy in the “comics are too political” debate.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Again, Wonder Woman’s place of origin is very far removed from the multicultural dream pursued by the left, she’s the product of a monocultural and sex-segregated tribe who’ve prospered behind the safety of dimensional walls. Her culture is no example to be followed

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Again, Wonder Woman’s place of origin is very far removed from the multicultural dream pursued by the left, she’s the product of a monocultural and sex-segregated tribe who’ve prospered behind the safety of dimensional walls. Her culture is no example to be followed

Which isn't part of what she is normally selling.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman was all about Amazons breaking Isolation and reestablishing contact with the world by sending Diana as their emissary. That's what Marston and Perez Wonder Woman was.

In the movie, Rebirth comics and Justice League series, the Themyscira is more like a Prison or High-security bank protecting Plot devices and Gods than a civilisation

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TrueThemyscira

@archizooom: Marston and Perez Amazons were trying to interact with the outside world by sending an ambassador.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraldofvengerberg: That’s kind of beside the point. I agree with the second paragraph though

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Sure, Wonder Woman should be the bridge between the two worlds, however, her home country does not have open borders and Veronica’s daughter is the only “refugee” they’ve had in 3000 years. Paradise Island is no model to be copied with regards to immigration, or anything really, it's a just a really nice women's shelter their "patrons" built for them

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Sure, Wonder Woman should be the bridge between the two worlds, however, her home country does not have open borders and Veronica’s daughter is the only “refugee” they’ve had in 3000 years. Paradise Island is no model to be copied with regards to immigration, or anything really, it's a just a really nice women's shelter their "patrons" built for them

Isn't it also normally Themysciran values about peace, love and respect for each other that Diana is normally out to promote rather than the Themysciran lifestyle? Like, Diana is normally not out to say: "You should definitely use a bow over a gun, and you should have a queen instead of a president."

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, you know how DC treats WW, Amazons and her mythos. We still don't which mythos is post-crisis or New 52. The Amazons and Themyscira suck ever since Marston died. Most writers are clueless on how to write a civilisation of woman and instead find plot devices like WW can't return because of Magic, banished by her mother, she runs away, the Amazons are dead or are snakes and rapist.

One of the reasons why I loved Black Panther was that it dealt with Wakanda, politics and asked the right questions why Wakanda failed to share the technology and stayed silent when the rest of the world suffered. Aquaman will also explore the relation between Atlantis and the surface world while Amazons are one-dimensional hive-minded society who will be stuck in 300 BC living like guard dogs of their patrons.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Archizooom

@outside_85: So Wonder Woman left Paradise island to tell humanity that Peace, Love, Respect so on and so forth are all lovely values, what an important message. That’s precisely the problem, the Amazons and Wonder Woman simply don’t have anything worthwhile to say anymore, she sounds like Miss America trotting out one cliché after another "bla bla Peace, bla bla Love". One minute she’s at the UN preaching World Peace, the next she’s hurling a German soldier to his death, DC wants it both ways

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: So Wonder Woman left Paradise island to tell humanity that Peace, Love, Respect so on and so forth are all lovely values, what an important message. That’s precisely the problem, the Amazons and Wonder Woman simply don’t have anything worthwhile to say anymore, she sounds like Miss America trotting out one cliché after another "bla bla Peace, bla bla Love". One minute she’s at the UN preaching World Peace, the next she’s hurling a German soldier to his death, DC wants it both ways

And if you cut one them away you loose what it is that makes her Wonder Woman. If you cut away the Ambassador for Peace, you are left with the New 52 Warrior Woman, and if you cut away the warrior you just get Dove, who has a good message but is on his/her own largely useless in a superhero comic. Diana is and has always been a character combined of these two aspects.

Also, I fail to agree with you that the Amazons message isn't worthwhile anymore... as a matter of fact I think it's as important now as it's ever been. Is it a cliché? Only because she's had to repeat it so many times and we still haven't learned it.

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraldofvengerberg:

The irony of it all....

Leave it to DC and DCEU to portray the Amazons as being less advanced in 2018 than they were when introduced over 75 years ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.