Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

New 52 Wonder Woman durability and strength

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HushoftheWind

so i was wondering, how strong is the new 52 Diana? i was hoping for a slight nerf to her strength and durability so that it make sense for to carry a dagger, spear, and shield. If she still Superman's equal, i don't see why there's a need for her to have weaponry.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Superdork

@HushoftheWind said:

so i was wondering, how strong is the new 52 Diana? i was hoping for a slight nerf to her strength and durability so that it make sense for to carry a dagger, spear, and shield. If she still Superman's equal, i don't see why there's a need for her to have weaponry.

Isn't Thor proof that you don't need to nerf her because of her weaponry? She fights villains with completely different backgrounds and skill sets than Superman villains--mostly magical and mythological. I also like that she has weapons and training and Superman doesn't. It differentiates them more, and it shows her warrior background better. She shouldn't be nerfed strength wise because it's important that she can fight on equal terms with Superman and Green Lantern and still be a woman.

That said, I wish that she hadn't regained the ability to fly. Not only did that separate her from Superman, it was made more believable because none of the other Amazons could fly. It also explains her jet. And she is better able to display her fighting skills when she doesn't fly--just look at her animated film or the DCUO trailer. I hope she doesn't fly in her live action film, but I don't want her strength or speed or skill nerfed at all.

I hope the video illustrates what I mean about the flight.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@Superdork: Agreed 100%

Aries2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aries2012

Hey there! I understand that Diana's: still one of DC's strongest characters, still on a par with Supes and just a couple others. I like that she can fly under her own steam rather than rely on an object. I dont agree that a character of WWs power levels should carry an obselete weapon like a sword or a shield (as she's been depicted with in the past), only her lasso (as it adds value).

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Press Oblivion

@Aries2012: I agree with your statement.

No Caption Provided

The invisible jet is one of the worst things about Wonder Woman's history, I'm not saying that it's not cool, who wouldn't want their own jet to fly around in, that's pretty sweet. It's an element that takes people right out of the Wonder Woman fantasy. The first question out of the gate is where does she get this thing from. When it was used as Wonder Woman's base of operations for a while during Byrne's run on the title was the most practicle use of the idea as not just a jet but a shape shifting sentient being.

The Crisis on two Earths animated film was the best explanation for her having an invisible jet.

As far as her strength goes I believe her to be stronger than Superman. In issue 12 of her series, she beat down Artemis after unshackeling her bracelets. Her statement in this panel certainly has deeper meaning that I'm anxiously awaiting an explanation for. In issue 13 of Superman, Kal is shown pressing the weight of the earth for 5 days, straight, before breaking a sweat. I believe Diana can do this with the "cuffs" on. There is no sense to her carrying a blade for any reason and I feel that she doesn't need to deflect bullets either, she's too strong & durable to be concerned about that these days.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.