Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Low box office sales could be a problem

• 49 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I didn't expect F4 to do that bad quite honestly. I respect how Fox is dedicated to their movies but they need to know when something is bad. The movie wasn't that good and I doubt many people wanted to pay to go see it knowing this. This makes me a little worry for Wonder Woman since her mainstream audience isn't that huge and her movie is already at risk at being a bomb unless WB get a amazing director that know their stuff.

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is that Gal Gadot has the emotional range of a cardboard box. I think that is what will hinder ticket sales.

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I completely disagree. I'm not saying you need to have Meryl Streep deliver some kind of award performance. But you HAVE to have an actress that is at the very least, engaging. The current MCU cast isn't exactly like watching Sir Ian McKellen and Sidney Poitier performing Othello, but they damn sure are fun to watch and they make you feel like the comic book characters that you have been reading since you were 8 are coming to life before your very eyes. Blade, the first F4, the first 2 X-Men, Mila J's first couple RE's... they were fun, engaging and energetic in a way that I have a hard time seeing Gal being able to produce.

Like I've said before, when her acting stands out as being noticeably worse than everyone else in FAST AND FURIOUS movies... that is a remarkable level of talentlessness.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@somayareece: Think you are getting worried prematurely, the WW movie has the same chance of bombing as every other major motion picture. And in regards to FF she is coming from a much better starting point, because we know BvS is not going to be a half-arsed job, and is going to be watched by thousands of new potential WW fans and she doesn't have 2 other bombs in her baggage.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kfabz-23

It all depends how well received she is in Batman v Superman. If the audience like her and the trailer is good people will go watch it.

@jbbuc: we can't really judge her acting level on Fast and Furious. She's been getting roles in movies with great level actors and even impressed good directors like Ben Affleck and John Hillcoat. She must be doing something right.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have faith that her flims we be good, I also have faith in the actress. If the flims is crapy I think it well have to do with bad script,bad direction,bad production,etc.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't expect F4 to do that bad quite honestly. I respect how Fox is dedicated to their movies but they need to know when something is bad. The movie wasn't that good and I doubt many people wanted to pay to go see it knowing this. This makes me a little worry for Wonder Woman since her mainstream audience isn't that huge and her movie is already at risk at being a bomb unless WB get a amazing director that know their stuff.

FF bombed because it was poorly executed. It felt like there were two conflicting films happening at the same time and the core of the FF was ignored. They are a family that loves each other no matter what happens, this wasn't a story that played into that core tenant of the group so there wasn't any connection for the audience ... you just don't care about the characters because they don't really care about each other. WW will hopefully avoid that trap and show us some characters that we can care about and empathize with.

I think people put a lot of emphasis on Gal Gadot for box office for WW, but realistically it's going to be a pretty tall order for a female driven action movie to be a massive success in US Box Office numbers regardless of how big the star is ... Lucy was only moderately successful and ScarJo is the biggest female actor on the planet right now. Gal might throw in a stunningly good (or bad) performance, but ultimately the success of the film will be based on Marketing power and a well developed script. People are not going to go if the movie looks dull.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: ? Why do u think she showing up 1st in BVS to get people hype about her movie beside F4 Situation was bad before the movie came out.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Saint_Sophie

I'll just have to accept Gadot, but my beef for WW is Gadot's accent. Nothing against it, but as a girl whose pretty much use to the american accent, and the fact that most of the actors will pretty much be american, I want to understand the lines pristine clear. In F&F, I had some trouble understanding what she said. And moviegoers want to understand what the actors are saying.. plus this is an American production. I know WW's not american born, but she was created by an American and does work for America.. so..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wonder Woman has BvS to get people interested in her.

Imnosuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't worry about Gal's performance in BvS. They certainly will have her walk together with Batman over Superman's carcass. It will give her a huge boost for her solo movie.

It'll be the typical farce that has been repeating for over a decade.

Batman fans want this fight. Batman fans like this fight. Batman fans continue this fight. Batman fans make a whole movie based on this fight.

Result: First signs and theories point that Diana will side with the bullies. Fight for Batman and against Superman. It's Warner. Seems legit.

With her kicking Clark around, and Batman (the guy who defeats WW, Cheetah and Circe regularly) getting rewarded by looking more feministic than Superman, halfway for her movie's success will already be done.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure ww is gonna knock sense into both sm and bm. If they're the "trinity" then I see her role more as the glue that holds the two together despite their differences. Especially if she's hundreds of years old and more experienced than both of them.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbbuc said:

The problem is that Gal Gadot has the emotional range of a cardboard box. I think that is what will hinder ticket sales.

Tell that to the chick from Twilight. Didn't seem to hurt them, and I have to believe Wonder Woman is more popular than Twilight.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not too worried about WW, I have faith in Warner and and Gadot. Even if she's bad, it won't drastically affect the movie....everything else will

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all depends on whether or not Gadot is impressive in BVS and the marketing. Either way there's not much to worry about. She's part of the DCEU which will continue on for a while whether her movies are successful or not and she will continue to show up there.

Her first movie being successful also doesn't mean she can't recover or get a sequel. The 2015 FF movie has already been confirmed to get a sequel by the way, so critics reviews aren't really important. Studios care about money and she should bring in enough. Don't worry.

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: You are out of your mind if you think that good writing can overcome bad acting. The opposite is certainly true. A good actor can take a crap script and make it at least watchable, but the other way around? Not a chance. I stand by my statement. Everyone looks at 'Rise of the Surfer', 'X-Men United', 'Trinity' ect and because those movies were absolute garbage, they want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. These are the people who can't remember how brilliant The Matrix was because of what a steaming pile of feces Revolutions was. The truth is that most fans liked these initial movies and the sales confirm that. If those movies were not successful, the sequels would never have been given the chance to fail. They would be immediately rebooted just like every bad Hulk movie. And while I will give you Jessica Alba and Halie Berry as examples of going through the motions and collecting a check, the casts were-for the most part- engaging. Charming. Interesting.

That is all you need. Again, I'm not asking for Tom Hanks and Denzel here. I'm asking for likability. I'm asking for charm and charisma. I want to be able to kick back, munch on some popcorn and be entertained without having my eyes roll every time Gal delivers some stiff, flat dialog. And to my original point, if she IS as flat and uninteresting a supporting character in Dawn of Justice as I think she is going to be, just who the heck is going to go see her try to carry a WW movie?

Now hey, if YOU want to ignore the evidence that she has put on film and give her the benefit of the doubt, that is your choice. Maybe I end up being wrong and she delivers a fun and engaging performance... but don't hate on me for pointing to the evidence at hand and having doubts. This chick's track record is suspect.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone has that one role that jumpstarts their career. Some people can play certain characters and some can't. Wonder Woman just may be a character Gal Gadot can play.

I say this before and I'll say it again, for superhero films, the actor/actress just needs to be convincing as the character to pull off the believability here. Aside from RDJ, none of the actors who play the Avengers are great actors, they just play their roles very well. Even then RDJ is getting payed the Gross National Income of a small country to basically play himself.

From what I've seen, Gadot is convincing enough. My attitude can change once we see her speak and interact, but for what I've heard and seen, her as Wonder Woman is not the problem. My main fear is everything else. The writing (which is done by a no-note writer), the directing (Patty Jenkins is really good, but a superhero film doesn't exactly fit in her alley) and supporting cast (sometimes people just can't act together, which is why I hope they at least had Chris Pine play test for his role before they hired him on, but I haven't heard that he did at all). If all those things fall through, then whatever flaws Gal Gadot has in the acting department will be glaringly obvious which would only be the cherry on the box-office bomb cake.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbbuc said:

@agent41: You are out of your mind if you think that good writing can overcome bad acting. The opposite is certainly true. A good actor can take a crap script and make it at least watchable, but the other way around? Not a chance. I stand by my statement. Everyone looks at 'Rise of the Surfer', 'X-Men United', 'Trinity' ect and because those movies were absolute garbage, they want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. These are the people who can't remember how brilliant The Matrix was because of what a steaming pile of feces Revolutions was. The truth is that most fans liked these initial movies and the sales confirm that. If those movies were not successful, the sequels would never have been given the chance to fail. They would be immediately rebooted just like every bad Hulk movie. And while I will give you Jessica Alba and Halie Berry as examples of going through the motions and collecting a check, the casts were-for the most part- engaging. Charming. Interesting.

That is all you need. Again, I'm not asking for Tom Hanks and Denzel here. I'm asking for likability. I'm asking for charm and charisma. I want to be able to kick back, munch on some popcorn and be entertained without having my eyes roll every time Gal delivers some stiff, flat dialog. And to my original point, if she IS as flat and uninteresting a supporting character in Dawn of Justice as I think she is going to be, just who the heck is going to go see her try to carry a WW movie?

Now hey, if YOU want to ignore the evidence that she has put on film and give her the benefit of the doubt, that is your choice. Maybe I end up being wrong and she delivers a fun and engaging performance... but don't hate on me for pointing to the evidence at hand and having doubts. This chick's track record is suspect.

Michael Keaton as Batman was a huge controversy back in the late 1980's yet the film was a wild success. And that was before Burton had made it big as a director. Gal's acting credentials are certainly nothing to get excited about, but she's also unknown enough to not be a turn off to audiences at this point. People will go to the movie to see Wonder Woman ... if Gal is horrid that will certainly have an impact, but if the story and the rest of the cast is engaging it can be covered up. Chris Pine being cast as Steve Trevor is also a draw for audiences, but even if he lobs in a great performance, poor characterization and writing could be as detrimental as anything Gal does. I suspect we'll see WB start pushing Gal to the masses relatively soon (probably have a larger scene in the next BvS trailer) in an effort to attached her face to WW the character.

IMO only the die-hard WW fans are even going to give GG a second thought as the lead since most people will think she looks the part close enough.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone has that one role that jumpstarts their career. Some people can play certain characters and some can't. Wonder Woman just may be a character Gal Gadot can play.

I say this before and I'll say it again, for superhero films, the actor/actress just needs to be convincing as the character to pull off the believability here. Aside from RDJ, none of the actors who play the Avengers are great actors, they just play their roles very well. Even then RDJ is getting payed the Gross National Income of a small country to basically play himself.

From what I've seen, Gadot is convincing enough. My attitude can change once we see her speak and interact, but for what I've heard and seen, her as Wonder Woman is not the problem. My main fear is everything else. The writing (which is done by a no-note writer), the directing (Patty Jenkins is really good, but a superhero film doesn't exactly fit in her alley) and supporting cast (sometimes people just can't act together, which is why I hope they at least had Chris Pine play test for his role before they hired him on, but I haven't heard that he did at all). If all those things fall through, then whatever flaws Gal Gadot has in the acting department will be glaringly obvious which would only be the cherry on the box-office bomb cake.

This is essentially true of:

• RDJ: was pretty much on the way out of his career before Marvel gave him Tony Stark booster rockets
    • Chris Evans: pretty much someone we'd all forgotten also played the super annoying Johnny Storm
    • Chris Pratt: was living in the back of a van before he hit it out of the park as Starlord.
    • Vin Diesel: Groot is just perfect for him :)

Regarding everything surrounding Gadot's Wonder Woman, allow me to point out that in most cases we dont get big-name writers and directors for these superhero faires yet. And while Snyder might be the most superhero-inclined director in DC/WB's stable atm, Nolan and superheroes wasn't an obvious choice either. With Jenkins... we might not be getting a high-flying explosion of colors and action, but we might be getting something really amazing. (Plus she bailed on Thor 2, so she can't be all that stupid :)

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this will bomb, quite the opposite in fact.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Fair enough. I trust Patty Jenkins and I hope she doesn't disappoint me. She has a lot of writing background too, so I believe if there's something in the script that doesn't settle right she has the ability to fix it. Supporting cast still worries me. As of now we only have one confirmed supporter in Chris Pine--who does have some decent acting behind his belt, but we all have to wonder about him and the rest of the cast and how well they play with others on screen.

However, this unknown supporting cast may be a good thing as WB may be having the rest of the cast test their roles, which I find is a far more effective way of hiring on actors than just going by credentials or name alone.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@jbbuc: @somayareece:Acting is never the reason for the bad performsnces of these type of movies. The original Fantastic 4 movies,Blade,Resident Evil,etc didn't have good acting and still were successful. Pretty much all the hero movies aren't known for having groundbreaking acting performances. If the movie has trouble, the only thing they can say about Gadot is that she wasn't a good choice for the debut movie of the biggest female hero, since she is not an A list actress able to move huge numbers on name alone. But the rest would be their fault(bad script,bad direction,bad production,etc). So the most important thing is to have a good movie. Gadot's acting is not the factor that can break or make this movie.

Let's not be negative.

The hell you say? Gal Gadot makes Jessica Alba look like Dame Helen Mirren. She has three facial expressions: big smile, pissed off scowl and her "I'm a porn star in training" face. My pit bull Rollo has more charisma and emotional range than Gal Godot. He's a lot prettier too, and he's a healthy weight!

No Caption Provided

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have to wait and see, I've seen every Gal Gadot video on youtube and she's as wooden as a backyard deck.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @jbbuc said:

Michael Keaton as Batman was a huge controversy back in the late 1980's yet the film was a wild success. And that was before Burton had made it big as a director. Gal's acting credentials are certainly nothing to get excited about, but she's also unknown enough to not be a turn off to audiences at this point. People will go to the movie to see Wonder Woman ... if Gal is horrid that will certainly have an impact, but if the story and the rest of the cast is engaging it can be covered up. Chris Pine being cast as Steve Trevor is also a draw for audiences, but even if he lobs in a great performance, poor characterization and writing could be as detrimental as anything Gal does. I suspect we'll see WB start pushing Gal to the masses relatively soon (probably have a larger scene in the next BvS trailer) in an effort to attached her face to WW the character.

IMO only the die-hard WW fans are even going to give GG a second thought as the lead since most people will think she looks the part close enough.

Yes, I remember the controversy of Keaton. Too small, not 'tough' enough, ect. But the difference there is that Keaton is a VERY good actor. Looking back at that movie now, you realize how bad the script really was, but Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson make a bad script watchable. If anything, that plays to my point. If you are asking Steve Trevor to carry a Wonder Woman movie, then obviously there is a problem with the casting of the main character.

Again, looking like Wonder Woman in stills and movie posters doesn't mean a lot. The hardcore WW fans are not enough to make the movie profitable. You have to be able to draw in the casual action fan as well, and if the main character's performance is being panned as flat and disengaged, those people won't go out and support the film.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I think Wonder Woman will definitely do well, or at least well enough. I'd be more concerned about Cyborg, Aquaman, etc.

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will depend on how she does in BvS

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CSG_CL

@jbbuc: Keaton had zero acting chops outside of a few comic roles when he threw in a good performance as Bruce. The guy had done little of consequence at the time and didn't fit the role, but was still chosen and managed to do a great job. In the back end of that role he spent most of his career doing nothing interesting until last years Birdman! Gal might blow chunks, but crazier things have happened than an actor having a great performance in a film such as this.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rollo has more acting ability and he's a dog.

No Caption Provided

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: Twilight was successful so she can be as wooden as she wants. :). Anyways, they better get the script and hopefully do WW justice. Because that's all they have. Gal imo looks nothing like WW. I would've gussed she was just a cosplayer in that outfit. And the fact that they're using Pines shows that like Thor And MOS, they want a pretty well known name to front the film so people won't be scratching their heads wondering who half the cast is.

Anyways, hopefully this stuff isn't corporated into the comics.. If the new frontrunner starts making Diana look like Gal.. But hey, my guess is that if her acting is shizzle, just add a bunch of swordswinging and battle scenes, and give her little to no dialogue. That's how just about every action film brings in the bacon.

-Xoxo, Saint Sophie

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: And the fact that they're using Pines shows that like Thor And MOS, they want a pretty well known name to front the film so people won't be scratching their heads wondering who half the cast is.

If they wanted pretty well-known faces for this movie, don't you thing they would have gone out and hired some rather than getting a bunch of people that most people have never heard of before?

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imnosuperman:  and Batman (the guy who defeats WW, Cheetah and Circe regularly)

Ok..I was with you until this,what in heaven are you reading that we all aren't.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I was mainly talking about how they're using Pines as the love interest possibly in the same way that Thor and MoS had Portman and Adams. They're not the most well known actors, but you can sure as heck bet that a lot of people have heard or seen the movies that they were in. They did play somewhat of a major role. I may used the wrong wording to have said that.

I'd never heard of Chris Hemsworth or Henry Cavill till their movies came out. All I knew is that Portman was suppose to be in it and some guy they found to play Thor for example.

-xoxo, Saint Sophie

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Outside_85

@outside_85: I was mainly talking about how they're using Pines as the love interest possibly in the same way that Thor and MoS had Portman and Adams. They're not the most well known actors, but you can sure as heck bet that a lot of people have heard or seen the movies that they were in. They did play somewhat of a major role. I may used the wrong wording to have said that.

I'd never heard of Chris Hemsworth or Henry Cavill till their movies came out. All I knew is that Portman was suppose to be in it and some guy they found to play Thor for example.

-xoxo, Saint Sophie

It will mostly be as head-scratching second-stringers most people will be struggling to remember where they've seen them before, the point is that while they may be pretty, they aren't big enough names to be considered a draw. MoS for instance had Kevin Costner, Russel Crowe and Laurence Fishburne in secondary/tertiary roles to the largely unknown main cast. Thor had Antony Hopkins, Portman and maybe Stallan Skargård as the main draws.

I kinda expect the trend to continue and later on we will see bigger names announced to play a part in Wonder Woman.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: i wouldn't surprised if bigger names play gods, her mother or even other amazons.

-xoxo, Saint Sophie

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GrandWonder

I'll watch the movie at least 5 times. Each time I'll drag along a group. Day 1: With my best friends. Day 2 : With high school friends. Day 3: With college friends. Day 4: With co-workers. Day 5: With family and relatives. Day 6: With all my pet dogs.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

even if it sucks ill watch it religiously ....i still watch that 2011 pilot every few months tbh

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

even if it sucks ill watch it religiously ....i still watch that 2011 pilot every few months tbh

Why? I have the disc right here and I watched it twice when it was new, but never again. It's weird because Adrienne Palicki makes a great Mockingbird, but horrible Wonder Woman. The only thing I liked about the pilot is my boy Kali Muscle got a paycheck for playing one of Veronica Cale's goons.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

ComicNerd105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ComicNerd105

The thing with Fox and Fantastic Four is just 1/4th into production the studio cut out three major action scenes, hired a new guy to rewrite the script and had another guy shoot the rest of the film and then cut out most of Trank's stuff. They even edited the film without him and kicked him out the room when he showed up.

The movie failed because Fox wouldn't let Trank do his movie. WB/DC gave Zack, his wife, and Charles Roven the keys to watch over DCEU and they gave their directors the "sandbox" so hopefully they wont intervene too much.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicnerd105: Hopefully they won't but Snyder does tend to make his Superhero film visions seriously, so I have hard time believing that he'll back off if any of the films don't run parallel with exactly what he wants. People accuse Feige at Marvel for doing this, but that is the curse of being a producer tasked to oversee a connected film universe.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you can't go by the ff4. they made a super hero film with no action. everyone came out saying that it was boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.