Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Lesbian interpretation?

• 89 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By No_Name_
    @Silver2467 said:

" @Gambler: The first few, I don't know who those women are, but okay. Vicki Vale, I'll concede to you on that. Catwoman, they didn't sleep together then.

Actually, they did sleep together. It's kind of obvious based on the sexual inuendo's in HUSH in both the narrative, dialogue and particularly the art. I love you :D
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Batman has lots of sex, even more casual at times. That playboy image isn't totally an image. But that has no bearing on whether he is responsible about it or not (you can have sex on a casual basis and still be responsible about it).

Furthermore  how can you actually cultivate a believable playboy hunk image if you never have any of those beautiful ladies ready to corroborate your "prowess".  No matter how handsome and charming you are, if you never hop into the sack, you'll never get an image as a Casanova.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Crom-Cruach said:
    " Batman has lots of sex, even more casual at times. That playboy image isn't totally an image. But that has no bearing on whether he is responsible about it or not (you can have sex on a casual basis and still be responsible about it).  Furthermore  how can you actually cultivate a believable playboy hunk image if you never have any of those beautiful ladies ready to corroborate your "prowess".  No matter how handsome and charming you are, if you never hop into the sack, you'll never get an image as a Casanova. "
    co-signed
    CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By CylonDorado

Ok, I think we can all agree that Batman is a lesbian.

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By WW-Fan

batman is such a pimp :)
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @WW-Fan said:
    " batman is such a pimp :) "
    well... when your only super-power can roughly be defined as "too cool for words" it's only natural any woman would go crazy for him lol!
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#108  Edited By WW-Fan
    @Crom-Cruach said:
    " @WW-Fan said:
    " batman is such a pimp :) "
    well... when your only super-power can roughly be defined as "too cool for words" it's only natural any woman would go crazy for him lol! "

haha yeah :D
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Silver2467 said:
    "  but Wonder Woman's virgin. "
    Pretty sure she slept with Nemesis
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Silver2467 said:
    " @Gambler: Show me, because I've read Wonder Woman's 3rd volume, and I never saw any such thing. I mean, I could be wrong, but don't post the image where Circe disguised herself as Wonder Woman and came onto Nemesis. That was Circe, not Diana.  "
    The Circe thing took place before Wonder Woman even started courting Tresser. That all happened back in the beginning of the run, she didn't start courting him until issue #18. And he didn't break up with her until issue 33 or 34. That's after she introduced him to her mother and took him to Paradise Island, which all lead me to speculate that they were sleeping together. Cause you usually don't bring someone home to meet the folks if you're not already sleeping with em. Could be wrong though.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Silver2467:  I agree that she has a sad sad social life. I read somewhere that theres a story in which Superman and Wonder Woman spend 1000 years trapped somewhere and never get it on. WTF is up with that? I know they (the DCU) had wanted to create a specific arc in which Wonder Woman's virginity was addressed, and actually removed but it never developed.

No, I agree. In fact I'd go one step further and call the whole "Wonder Woman falling for Nemesis" in the first place bullsh!t. She's so far outta his league....There's only one dude who could handle Wonder Woman, and thats Bruce Wayne/Batman.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Gambler said:
    " There's only one dude who could handle Wonder Woman, and thats Bruce Wayne/Batman. "
    The real question is could wonder woman handle Bruce Wayne?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Silver2467:  1000 years, pretty sure he would have written Lois off for dead. Actually, didn't he think she was dead?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Silver2467: You think?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Silver2467: How many women has supes kissed?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Silver2467: oh, ok
    CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By CylonDorado
    @Silver2467:
    Yeah they had an animated series episode where they touched on that. Lois was dating Bruce, but she didn't want to be with him after she found out he was Batman. And Batman mentioned it to supes, saying something like, "She likes Bruce Wayne and Superman. It's the other two guys she doesn't like".
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Silver2467: So everyone loves Supes and Bruce but adhore Clark and Bats
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Silver2467: You should head to one of my forums...its called who's thereal person Clark or Superman...But yeah different but same.
    jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By jphulk26

@Spastic Man said:

Another big sign pointing towards Wonder Woman’s lesbianism is the fact that she could have had two mothers! Just like Virgin Mary, Hippolyta created her child with clay from a seabed because she felt a strange feeling for a child. So Athena, who is a goddess told her to mould clay from a seabed and thus Princess Diana was born! Looking at it from a distance, Diana seems as if she had two mothers: Hippolyta and Athena.

It is hard to tell if Marston had originally intended to put lesbian clues, or if Wertham had made some connections about Wonder Woman and lesbianism but either way, Marston had provided a place away from the “Man’s World”, exclusively allowing girls to focus on themselves if needed, and teaching girls in the 1940s that girls did not need to be oppressed by men, adding that it was okay to express opinions. Of course, this "lesbian" fiasco is not to be out done by the fact that Wonder Woman's only weakness is that if her bracelets are bonded together by a "Man" she will lose her powers. This could be another pointer that Wonder Woman is a lesbian or the creator was trying to put hidden tones in the storylines.

It may be that Wonder Woman may also be bisexual, as she and another Amazon, Io, had reciprocal feelings for each other.

It can also be said that Wonder Woman does not feel she needs to be labelled sexually, and that she is just herself. Coming from a society that was only populated by women, "lesbian" in our eyes may have "straight" for them. The Amazons probably believed that love shouldn't be categorised into sex or race; as long as you loved someone, that it is what mattered to them.''"

First off love this article:

1. I think the lesbian mother thing is quite obvious, which is why I hate the change to her father being Zeus. I think this symbolism should be emphasised more in modern takes. Her having two mothers is extremely original.

2. I would say that her sexuality is nonproblematic for WW. I think she does not need to label herself, and I love that Simone, hinted that the Amazons did get it on with each other in her run.

3. This is one of the key ideas that I think could make WW relevent, her and the Amazons lesbianism is obvious, but I think should be addressed in a more mature graphic novel. Not in that it will take over the story, but simply it being a part of it, something explored.

Great great article. It surprised me.

Glad someone else noticed the two mother thing as well and its connection to the emaculate conception.

@Spastic Man:

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By jphulk26

@CylonDorado: I think the problem is DC can´t accept that WW is obviously bisexual. Its obvious. I mean if DC were being real, you would have at least seen some of the Amazons get it on, but even they appear asexual. I just doubt it somehow.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#134  Edited By arnoldoaad

question

How many women has WW kissed?

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#135  Edited By krspaceT

You know, if they try ad show off alternate universe's, they should try and show this off, perhaps have a cover that is based off Justice League 12 but replace Superman with, perhaps Power Girl?

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By darkman61288

It is possible that when Marston was writing her she was. He lived in a polyamorous relationship with his wife and another woman.

Those two women were the inspirations for Wonder Woman. If they were then bisexual than WW would have been too.

bskirvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By bskirvin

I don't think there is any doubt that the Marston originally envisioned Wonder Woman as enthusiastically interested in lesbian activities. There are almost constant references to girl-on-girl bondage games between the Amazons. One series of early panels shows a ritualistic "banquet" which involves Wonder Woman and the Amazons "hunting", tying up, stripping, then pretending to eat each other. One famous golden age panel shows Wonder Woman pondering the differences between a good mistress and a bad mistress, with regards to the women living in man's world.

Don't get me wrong, she used the Lasso of Obedience to tie up a lot of men and she didn't seem to mind men tying her up on occasion. But, that doesn't change the fact that she spanked and got spanked by a pretty fair number of women in those early years and she seemed to enjoy it an awful lot.

There seem to be a lot of people with a very wrong impression of Wonder Woman. She was originally kinky as shit and pretty open about.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I heard that a few of her writers wrote her with the idea that she is bisexual in mind. I personally see her as that as well. I think without a doubt one of the biggest messages for WW is a woman loving other women. That obviously doesn't mean just romance because love has so many forms but i think that is apart of it. I also would imagine that being on themyscira all her life would lead her to have at least explored romance/sex with other women even if she was straight/not into women.

wonderfan409

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Primmaster64: What do you think? You think Wonder Woman's a lesbian?

i would think she's bi.................................most likely at least going out with one amazon and then later on in life with steve.........................................an then sups bats and who ever is on the dating list

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.