Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Is Wonder Woman still vegetarian ?

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
    Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Greg Rucka portrayed her as vegetarian in comics .Is it still canon ?

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are being recruited by a food giant in a bid to counteract the rise of veganism among young Britons.

No Caption Provided

A range of burgers and sausages based on the popular superhero characters, made by one of the UK's biggest meat manufacturers, are being launched in High Street supermarkets from this week Source.

Vegans have launched counter offensive citing Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman where WW is vegetarian because she can talk to animals and have love compassion ,empathy for them

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Are Amazons vegetarian too ? What are you thoughts

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
    masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By masterwitcher88

I never bought into the whole Diana being a vegan thing TBH. While I don't think she would go hunting or stare an animal in the eye and kill it or anything along those lines she would just let people do what they do. If she's a vegan she's a vegan, if not then she's not. I don't think the explanation entirely matters.

But this "campaign" against veganism is ridiculous, I don't even no where to begin. So they don't want children to start eating vegetables? Its not like this is particularly an unhealthy diet? Oh right because its not really about health, its about money.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truethemyscira: Because there are advanced peaceful civilisation. Advanced civilization cares for animals Also they may have technology to create meat alternatives. I am talking about Marston Amazons not the New 52.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Outside_85

Like so much else with them, I imagine Amazons live off a bronze age diet where meat is eaten when the occasion calls for it.

Characters in general who go vegan because they can talk to animals in one way or another seems to me to be a rather weak reasoning for it, since in most cases they aren't the ones out hunting or anything like that, they only see the animal once it's on a plate in front of them... where conversation is not really possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
    deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is implied that she is still vegetarian. In #28 (I think) Etta says something like “do you want a burger? I won’t tell any of your animal friends” but Diana says no.

I think it makes perfect sense that someone who can talk to animals wouldn’t want to eat them as even if she didn’t know the particular dead animal in question, she can appreciate and understand animals in a way that we can’t.

In addition, I think she’d be appalled by the way our livestock is treated. I can maybe see her eating wild animals that have been hunted, but no way would she endorse factory farming.

Lastly, genetically modified food is nothing to be concerned about. Almost all scientists that know anything about it agree it is no more harmful than regular food.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most people bring a bottle of wine, Diana brought a dead wild boar to dinner at the Kents'. In Paradise Island, the Amazons hold a sacred hunt in honour of Artemis during the annual Harvest festival in which they give the animal the honour of a quick and painless death, Diana would’ve been taught to treat them with due respect and dignity

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
    masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most people bring a bottle of wine, Diana brought a dead wild boar to dinner at the Kents'. In Paradise Island, the Amazons hold a sacred hunt in honour of Artemis during the annual Harvest festival in which they give the animal the honour of a quick and painless death, Diana would’ve been taught to treat them with due respect and dignity

It is implied that she is still vegetarian. In #28 (I think) Etta says something like “do you want a burger? I won’t tell any of your animal friends” but Diana says no.

I think it makes perfect sense that someone who can talk to animals wouldn’t want to eat them as even if she didn’t know the particular dead animal in question, she can appreciate and understand animals in a way that we can’t.

In addition, I think she’d be appalled by the way our livestock is treated. I can maybe see her eating wild animals that have been hunted, but no way would she endorse factory farming.

Lastly, genetically modified food is nothing to be concerned about. Almost all scientists that know anything about it agree it is no more harmful than regular food.

This is basically how I imagine she would operate.

Avatar image for deactivated-6264b2a061084
    deactivated-6264b2a061084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't remember what podcast I heard this but I do remember somebody asked Greg Rucka about this and he said that she used to eat it but since she learned that she can communicate with animals she can no longer eat them. He also added that she doesn't mind other people eating meat, but she personally can't eat meat anymore.

These are his views though. Who knows what DC has in their internal Wonder Woman Wiki.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Said

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.