Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Her nationalism makes no sense

ModestGrump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why on earth would a feminist Amazon love America? She wasn't even born or raised there. Superman's nationalism makes sense because he was raised there, but i see no logical reason why Wonder Woman would be so patriotic.

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why on earth would a feminist Amazon love America? She wasn't even born or raised there. Superman's nationalism makes sense because he was raised there, but i see no logical reason why Wonder Woman would be so patriotic.

She was created by Americans in a time of war (high patriotism) and the design became synonymous with her. I personally love the movie and more modern interpretations.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

It's been ages since Diana was an American patriot, but that hasn't stopped right wingers from still seeing her as one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
    deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's been ages since Diana was an American patriot, but that hasn't stopped right wingers from still seeing her as one.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ScouterV

@outside_85 said:

Avatar image for dextersinister1
    Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:
    @all-father said:
    @outside_85 said:

Old post but I sometimes think sheltered people forget how much America pushed the idea of equal rights around the world so it's easy for someone with common sense to see why a Amazonian would prefer America over most other countries.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does this even make any sense??

There are no "left wingers" that see Diana as an American patriot??

Show me where the "right wingers" touched you.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old post but I sometimes think sheltered people forget how much America pushed the idea of equal rights around the world so it's easy for someone with common sense to see why a Amazonian would prefer America over most other countries.

I'd dispute that very heavily, because pushing for equality was not why America was in the war, and it wasn't even a reality in the states by the time when Wonder Woman made her debut.

Were they further along than most at the time? Yes. But not by much. The more realistic reason she chose America over anywhere else is that Marston was an American and he was working for an American publisher and primarily for an American audience... who can't relate to anyone who can't pass as an American.

I imagine that if Wonder Woman had been invented with todays mindset, but in the WW2 setting, then she'd be fiercely patriotic of the nation of her birth, because that's the nation who's values she is trying to teach, and after the war she'd spend most of her time outside of the US helping to rebuild the part that was smashed and very likely end up living in Germany, the nation that ended up most smashed of all.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
    deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread makes no sense because she’s not nationalistic and hasn’t been for ages.

I’m also not sure about this idea of America pushing women’s rights around the world, though feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. Though America have never exactly been backwards in their attitudes towards women it’s not as if they were much further ahead of Australia/NZ, the Nordic countries or much of Europe for that matter. It follows that she would want to fight with America because they opposed the Nazis, not because they were particular bastions of gender equality.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
    Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85:

Were they further along than most at the time? Yes. But not by much.

I think you underestimate how much being ahead of the pack actually means when it comes to pushing progressive issues when that meant something in the west.

The more realistic reason she chose America over anywhere else is that Marston was an American

Well obviously, the same way all the big named heroes just happen to be born or land in America.

The question was how could WW be so patriotic, a lot of people who came to America became pretty patriotic

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85:

Were they further along than most at the time? Yes. But not by much.

I think you underestimate how much being ahead of the pack actually means when it comes to pushing progressive issues when that meant something in the west.

The more realistic reason she chose America over anywhere else is that Marston was an American

Well obviously, the same way all the big named heroes just happen to be born or land in America.

2) The question was how could WW be so patriotic, a lot of people who came to America became pretty patriotic

And I think you underestimate how far the rest of the western world was along the same tracks as well. Take the UK as an example, 'qualified' woman over 31 years old could vote in 1918 (dunno what 'qualified' means), and all woman over 21 could vote in 1928, which gave the US a lead of only 8 years on that part. And in other area's like race and segregation, the US was falling behind.

2) Likely because to them it was their new nation, they weren't just in the US for a job or in a position where they could never return home. So I assume they embraced their new reality.
    Diana isn't like that, she allied with the US because back then it's values were those that most resembled her own. But that said, she was still there to change the US, and everyone else, to be more like Paradise Island.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
    deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plenty of countries gave women the vote before the USA. In some ways America was ahead, such as property rights and quite far behind in others such as abortion. As far as I can see this was a change throughout the world, not led by one country.

If it had been a British or Soviet comic she could just as easily have become a patriot of that nation, but yeah it’s hardly the most far-fetched thing in comics that she liked America because it was her new home.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And let me add that the right haven't cornered the market on patriotism, no matter how much republicans want you to believe that. In fact I'd argue the left better embody the values upon which America was founded.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.