Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8804 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

G Willow Wilson talks about Wonder Woman in DC Nation

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
    Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I can’t quite get my head around why a card-carrying liberal such as G. Willow Wilson would convert to Islam, how does that happen, did Allah come to her in a dream or what…maybe she did it for a guy

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can’t quite get my head around why a card-carrying liberal such as G. Willow Wilson would convert to Islam, how does that happen, did Allah come to her in a dream or what…maybe she did it for a guy

It makes sense to me, Muslims are probably the most maligned religion in the United States. By making herself an "other" she gets to rail against the system while practicing what she preaches.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Maybe it just matched her beliefs? Not to make this into a big thing since Wilson's beliefs are irrelevant to her job, but Islam is as big a walk of faith as Christianity is and just as diverse in it's interpretation.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dshipp17

@outside_85 said:
    @archizooom said:

Maybe it just matched her beliefs? Not to make this into a big thing since Wilson's beliefs are irrelevant to her job, but Islam is as big a walk of faith as Christianity is and just as diverse in it's interpretation.

Then, either that shows that you don't know as lot about Christianity or that you might have some idea but are being disingenuous on the extreme end of the spectrum in your exaggerations. This statement is quite clearly ridiculous to an informed Christian.

But, the poster that you're responding to makes a very good point; Wilson seems an odd choice to be scripting a character like Wonder Woman, indeed, unless, as I had concluded, DC and the Wonder Woman editors are taking this SJW stuff that they'd started in about 2011, really in 2010 with JMS and the change of costume, to another level; that's why I was surprised by the initial scripts, except there is a lot of room yet for the stuff to start taking place; as I said in a tread that the poster apparently deleted shortly afterwards, perhaps this poster, Wonder Woman is either a controversial character, when done right, or a problem character, when done wrong, which is where DC went, since the end of Marston's run, with brief stints away with runs like Messner-Loebs; and one should be that her costume should have long ago been giving Dejah Thoris's costume a run for its money, while there should still be bondage elements; as such, done right, Wonder Woman could easily be the big three character that should be in Vertigo, right now, if not contracted out to anime/.hentai print label; and that's honestly the reason I came aboard on Wonder Woman; I stick around because of my loyalty traits that sometimes can be a fault; I'm eargerly anticipating Wonder Woman: Earth One volume 2, as it has Dr. Psycho; finally, bring Dr. Psycho back to the main book, as well.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
    TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheInsufferable

tbh, it sounds pretty much like the generic stuff every writer says when they're assigned to write an iconic character.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

Then, either that shows that you don't know as lot about Christianity or that you might have some idea but are being disingenuous on the extreme end of the spectrum in your exaggerations. This statement is quite clearly ridiculous to an informed Christian.

Which isn't you, by the sound of if.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dshipp17

@outside_85 said:
    @dshipp17 said:

It's got to be me as an informed Christian, as I called your statement out for what it is, in trying to make a connection that you clearly don't have an idea what it is you're talking about; they both are monotheism, clearly; except, there's clearly no indication that Jesus was merely meant to be a prophet; as a matter of fact, Jesus was prophetic in only a few instances, where one was predicting His Resurrection and ascension back to the Father; except, you clearly don't know, by your previous statement, while I know it intimately, clearly indicating an informed Christian.

Anyway, the key panel of note follows:

No Caption Provided

I like the sound of this, going back to her origins; Dr. Psycho is there too. I tract this interview down, as I suspected that a key context had been omitted.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tbh, it sounds pretty much like the generic stuff every writer says when they're assigned to write an iconic character.

Sure is, as I really have to dig to make my statement; but, strangely, when something makes sense about what's to come, the Wonder Woman editor has tended to steer from the logical, just to seem like I've been proven wrong, producing what we got in Rucka 2.0.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @dshipp17 said:

It's got to be me as an informed Christian..

Which you are not. Especially when you start rambling about stuff no one asked for.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @dshipp17 said:

It's got to be me as an informed Christian..

Which you are not. Especially when you start rambling about stuff no one asked for.

That has absolutely nothing to do with correcting you on an obvious statement of attack against Christianity; you do that, expect something in response; delving out facts is not rambling; obviously, something else you obviously need to learn by your own words. No one ever asks you to comment on Wonder Woman or any topic, yet you do it.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with correcting you on an obvious statement of attack against Christianity;

I said Christianity was diverse by implying there are lots of different ways of being Christian. End of discussion.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Archizooom

@outside_85: @scorpio_cassadine: According to wikipedia, she chose Islam after studying a bunch of religions, she contemplated Judaism first ‘cause it was quote “a near perfect fit” but then she kicked Yahweh to the curb and embraced Allah instead. That’s totally weird to me, that’s like the process I went through to pick a laptop

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizooom: Well, if she studied it, we can be certain she picked the one that felt right to her.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.