Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Does WW emasculate male characters at times?

• 59 results
    marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Back in the day, when female comic characters weren't as popular and the women's activist movements were occurring, I could see the need for writers to show that WW truly meant business and wasn't a "force to be reckoned with" through emasculation (sort of). I still notice a few instances where she does that; and In this day and age, i don't think writers need to show her emasculating other male characters.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Wonder Woman emasculates everyone, not just male characters.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its necessarily in her character.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if Wonder Woman beats anyone else then it means she's emasculating them?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Wonder Woman ever emasculated someone or you mean emasculate as in the shame of being beaten by a woman?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you saying Wonder Woman should never again beat a man because it emasculates them (?) that all her foes should be female (?)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Its not always a bad thing but yes she does.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: was she able to do that by just guessing where the bullet was gonna go or does she have some other sense to tell her? Like what if the person would've shot at her lower body? Would she know to block there? While blindfolded I mean

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By marvel123

@archizoom: @muffin_sangria: certainly not......to me, giving someone a beatdown isn't the same as emasculating them. don't get me wrong, i like seeing powerful female characters, but i just don't see the need to have them emasculate males (whether it's through action or words)....I was thinking about a scene in the justice league war movie when i wrote this. Out of all the female characters (whether hero or villain) i've seen this recurring trend mostly with WW.

I'm guessing having a background where females are entirely independent, and self sufficient, ect........writers feel the need to throw in subtle comments or have her do certain things to promote "girl power"

Avatar image for wonderwomanfan8
    WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WonderWomanFan8

@jayc1324 said:

@awesam: was she able to do that by just guessing where the bullet was gonna go or does she have some other sense to tell her? Like what if the person would've shot at her lower body? Would she know to block there? While blindfolded I mean

She was blind at this point. And she wasn't just relying on her hearing. She was actually using her senses to detect changes in the air pressure around her to track movement. Ugh, that scene was so badass!

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: who are these male character you speak of?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

She was blind at this point. And she wasn't just relying on her hearing. She was actually using her senses to detect changes in the air pressure around her to track movement. Ugh, that scene was so badass!

Yes but Black Canary should've died in that scene

WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WonderWomanFan8

@wonderwomanfan8 said:

@jayc1324 said:

Yes but Black Canary should've died in that scene

LMAOOO...well I don't think she was trying to kill anyone. LOL

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: it could be anybody, but i was thinking about the scene in justice league war, where she uses her lasso on a random protester and gets him to confess that he cross-dresses in a WW costume. lol........i just had to think to myself, was that really necessary?.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She has put Batman in his place on occasion, and of all characters he needs that. (And of course Batman has shown her up as well)

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: lol, well....there wasn't any Castrating in this movie.

artemis threatened to castrate steve treavor in the 2009 animated movie.....if that makes you feel better

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom

@jayc1324 said:

I'd agree with this response

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: lol that guy was ass calling her a whore even holding ww doll hanging on a noose beside she wanted know what he had against her,he tell her,she called BS and used the lasso to find out the truth lol

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: lol that guy was ass calling her a whore even holding ww doll hanging on a noose beside she wanted know what he had against her,he tell her,she called BS and used the lasso to find out the truth lol

yes since the guy enjoys wearing women's clothes i'd say he voluntarily emasculates himself. She even kindly told him to embrace that side of him.

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By marvel123
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: no reason just for laugh i guess it was kinda funny imho

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By marvel123
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: cause i laugh when she look surprise about the cross dressing like she didn't expect that

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW Emasculates anything.

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: lol, I like strong female characters, but there's just something about the way WW is portrayed at times that brings me back to the some of the misandristic ideologies of the amazons. I don't really see that with many other female characters like,storm, faora, korra, sif, hawk girl, jean grey, super girl and others.

On the other hand, I do understand that she is in fact the front-runner for female heroes.....I understand that writers want to show that she is just as capable as any other hero...which she is.

And poor steve trevor, yes at times he is portrayed as WW's "theoretical lois lane" But i've never seen superman pimp slap lois lane, he's never kicked her in the genitals, he doesn't make her feel like less of a woman, ect. call it insecure or not, but I think this scene represent part of the problem. and again, its not female characters in general, it's just something that i noticed in WW.

Loading Video...

WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WonderWomanFan8

@marvel123 Well, you have to look at it from her perspective. She comes from a seemingly xenophobic, all-female society of warrior women. For the most part, they've been separated from men for thousands of years. So in pursuit of discovering her purpose, she ventures off into the outside world, and finds that man's world affirms many things that she learned on Paradise Island. She eventually sees that neither world is perfect, so she takes her beliefs along with what she learns from her experiences to bridge the gap between her ancient society and the modern world, in present times.

Actually, that's a great way to summarize her journey overall. She's a powerful and skilled warrior who lives a sheltered life on Themyscira. She searches for her purpose, which takes her on a heroic journey to the outside world. That's her right of passage. It's a coming of age story, where she's the bridge between her ancient society, and the modern world.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArchiZoom

@marvel123: That's because Lois and Superman's relationship follows the natural order of things. He's the strong protective male, she's the delicate female like society believes dynamics between men and women should be. In Steve and Wonder Woman's relationship those gender roles are inverted. Since Steve is the delicate, vulnerable party, he's perceived as the female half of this relationship despite being decisively male. This is because people see relationships, even homosexual ones, in terms of male and female.

I actually thought Steve gave Diana a very princessy treatment in this movie and I wasn't very happy about that. It pissed me off that she wore heels in the end and agreed to be treated like a lady because I think conforming to those male/female clichés completely defeats the character of Wonder Woman.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

She can "Emasculate" me any time ;)

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: I see what you are saying regarding the male/female clichés

@wonderwomanfan8: very well said

Note: this isn't a rant against WW, or WW fans, it was just an observation that was influenced by something that was said in this video, so I figured i'd ask comic vine. check it out if u have time SKIP TO 12:30

Loading Video...

thanks for commenting y'all

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: that fight with faora and zod ws aweome hopefully superman take what wonder woman said seriously and learn how to fight because against people his own stregnth superman was going to lose especially if there was two beside the wonder woman and superman fanboy(which grace is) are always going to complain about there favorite hero not doing enough remember issue 1 and the wonder woman fan complain alot about DD taking her out

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Female heroes have to be portrayed as acting extra tough in order to compete with the numerous male ones. At least that's how I have always seen it. I prefer when they are written naturally instead of including all that "hurr durr I am just as good a men are!" crap.

WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123 Meh, I watched at the point you suggested from that video, and from that I don't agree with her definition of "emasculating". By the definition I found, emasculating someone means to deprive them of strength, or to make someone 'effeminized' in some way. Diana displaying possessiveness of her man doesn't deprive Kal of strength and the act of doing that doesn't seem to be masculine nor feminine, cause both women and men have the capacity to be "possessive".

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say she empowers women more than emasculating men.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArchiZoom

@marvel123: She didn't read the previous numbers so she's obviously under the false idea that Superman is Wonder Woman's boy toy in this book. She's the diametral opposite of how Grace thought she was being written though. She glorified Superman's masculinity throughout, to her own detriment actually and I can prove this if need be.

Johnni_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Johnni_Kun

I got another question. Why should we care? Women portrayal in comics are bad. They never stack up to their male counterparts. And with Wonder Woman, it's probably worse. She is currently being used to as a way to stroke the egos of Superman fanboys.(The one female comic character that shouldn't even be in that type of role.) I don't think that would ever happen if the roles were reversed. I said if there is anyway to show her as being superior in some aspect, like her have it. Along as it doesn't make her look like a irrational brute.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

...not at all, if Wonder Woman beating powerful male characters counts as emasculation then it is us guys that have the problem! @johnni_kun have you read Superman Wonder Woman 5 yet? You will see that WW saves superman's butt this time...

Johnni_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Johnni_Kun

@bezza: Yes. And that was one issue. I'm waiting to see if Soule will still keep the equality in the later issues.(which I doubt it.) However, that's not the only place she is being portrayed with Superman recently. Johns's JL run. The Injustice comics.(other recent medias) I'm also not a fan of her in the book anyway.(Although it's better than the others.)

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ArchiZoom

@johnni_kun: no because if Soule put Wonder Woman and Superman on equal terms, that would be perceived by some as an attack on Superman's masculinity. I think we're counting our chicken before they hatch. In issue 5 she seemed mighty powerful, saved Superman and all, everyone's really stoked about that but in the next, she'll fight Faora 1o1 and will probably struggle with that. Soule might even have her literally say something along the lines of "She's stronger than me (cause she's kryptonian) but she's no Amazon" as to further glorify Superman, reminding us, again, that Superman>>Faora>WonderWoman = Superman>>>WW. Superman needs to be the strong protective male in any relationship because he's the paragon of masculinity. He doesn't fare well in different relationship formats.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik: this isn't a debate or a spite thread, it's just a question......so feel free to share your opinions

@archizoom: @wonderwomanfan8: @darknightspideyfanboy: thanks for the input guys/gals.....as i said, I saw this review and heard the statements she made regarding WW and i figured i'd ask more people what they thought about it. so far, there have been mixed views....i do respect everyone's opinions though.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: Grace didn't read the 4 previous issues so she clearly got the wrong idea about Soule's Wonder Woman. She's the diametral opposite of what Grace thought she was being written as. She glorified Superman's masculinity throughout, to her own detriment actually and I can prove this if need be.

lol she a superman fanboy cause of her father if i remember correctly and yeah grace was nvr and i do mean nvr fan of the relationship even saying the sm/ww relationship is like incest because how similar they are

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@marvel123: I've never seen her emasculate male characters.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yes, but that is just the natural course of being an awesome superhero. I mean Superman and Batman emasculate male characters all day, every day. Here is proof:

Loading Video...

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: I like her videos, she's a very knowledgeable lady but she's obviously not very fond of Wonder Woman. Grace is one of those individuals who postulate that Wonder Woman's design is "flawed", she puts the onus on the character and I couldn't disagree more with that

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@johnni_kun: i'd love to see characters such as Kara be completely equal to their male counterpart...she's suppose to process sunlight faster than supes and they have the same physiology. and hey, like u were saying, there are some aspects about WW that are superior to supes (as seen in the pic above)

@darknightspideyfanboy: @erik: @archizoom: lol.....in this scenario superman knows WW and bats are right............but i was also thinking of this when i asked the question.

@papinacho: that was a pretty good episode, bats definitely took me for surprise

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: my answer stop worry about it really doesnt matter there always going to be a story where superman prove his better than WW and vice versa also that the superman fanboy(like grace) and ww fanboy(like so many that are here) will always argue because there favorite superhero didnt do enough or represent well enough

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: my answer stop worry about it really doesnt matter there always going to be a story where superman prove his better than WW and vice versa also that the superman fanboy(like grace) and ww fanboy(like so many that are here) will always argue because there favorite superhero didnt do enough or represent well enough

...but this notion that wonder woman being better than superman at something is emasculating still zooms over my head. It sounds like, being a man he's supposed to be better and if he isn't, he's less of a man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.