Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Could Wonder Woman gross more than BvS?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
    deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It isn't getting another 165 million dollars, it has already been out a month.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so, but there's a good chance it will overtake Suicide Squad's $745 million. Even so, Wonder Woman would be more profitable than BvS. It's budget is about half of BvS and WB probably spent less on marketing, so you could say it is the DCEU's most successful movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-599632ff76068
    deactivated-599632ff76068

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully, seeing as Wonder Woman is the only non-shit DCEU film.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@necronn- said:

Hopefulley, seeing as Wonder Woman is the only non-shit DCEU film.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope we get some animated movies and maybe a series out of this. Its about effing time.

A series based off Perrez, Rucka, Simone and if they absolutely have to Azzerello in the fourth season would kick-ass. No more lame Bat-verse movies that suck and some more Flash, imagine a Shazam one, with Wondy leading the way. :) Please please please before I die.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Batman has the highest quality animated movies

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@jphulk26: Batman has the highest quality animated movies

Um. Not really. I think all the early animated movies were superb including Batman's. But recently they've all been terrible. Especially the Batman ones. Completely uninspired. Plus JL animated series was much better than Batman Animated series in my opinion.

If I were to rank the top 15 DC animated universe, it would go.

1. Batman Dark Knight Returns

2. Flashpoint

3. All Star Superman

4. Batman Year One

5. JL New Frontier

6. Green Lantern emerald knights

7. Wonder Woman

8. Batman Under Redhood

9. Superman Braniac

10. Supermn/Bataman Apocolypse

11. JL Crisis on Two Earths

12. Superman VS The Elite

13. JL Doom

14. Green Lantern First Flight

15. Superman Unbound

There are a few others that are good, but a lot, especially the Batman ones are underwhelming to say the least. Their animated output has become stale the more Batman they put out. They're not even adapting the best Batman stories. I think looking outside Batman and the Bat family will be a refreshing change of pace. Especially if they focus on single characters, not just JL stories. I think the WW film is proof that if they believed in other DC characters even a quarter as much as they believe in Batman, they can make a lot of money.
    If they would adapt for instance Geoff Johns take on Shazam's origin into live action, I'm confident it would make a billion dollars.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

I hope we get some animated movies and maybe a series out of this. Its about effing time.

A series based off Perrez, Rucka, Simone and if they absolutely have to Azzerello in the fourth season would kick-ass. No more lame Bat-verse movies that suck and some more Flash, imagine a Shazam one, with Wondy leading the way. :) Please please please before I die.

She's a B Lister, he's an A Lister, don't expect any standalone WW movies anytime soon.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Archizooom

@all-father: Actually last year at NYCC the supervising producer of DC animation teased that a new animated movie was "on their radar" and with the live-action film being such a resounding success, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce it at SDCC *fingers crossed*

Clamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be pathetic if it didn't.

Clamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
    @clamps said:
    @agent41 said:
    @clamps said:

It would be pathetic if it didn't.

????.

???

WW film is a BIG hit. So why it'd be pathetic if it doesn't outgross bvs?.

Because a film thats a "big hit" not outgrossing a film that was panned by critics and fans alike, in the summer of all seasons, would be terrible.

Clamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41:

Not really. Because critics and fans said she was the best thing in bvs. And the fact that Wonder Woman will end at the very least, as the second biggest DC film and only one praised by fans and critics this decade so far is a great achievement. And what she has done for the reputation of female super heros leading a film is a very important contribution.

Thats all well and good, but the point still stands it would be pathetic if it didn't outgross Batman vs. Superman with all the "praise" and whatnot.And I'm not sure what your 2nd point has to do with anything.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
    @clamps said:

@agent41:

Not really. Because critics and fans said she was the best thing in bvs. And the fact that Wonder Woman will end at the very least, as the second biggest DC film and only one praised by fans and critics this decade so far is a great achievement. And what she has done for the reputation of female super heros leading a film is a very important contribution.

Thats all well and good, but the point still stands it would be pathetic if it didn't outgross Batman vs. Superman with all the "praise" and whatnot.And I'm not sure what your 2nd point has to do with anything.

I just don't know why would be pathetic. bvs was a big it. So is Wonder Woman. And people thought it was over for DC movies after many disappointments(outside of the box office). And Wonder Woman proved them all wrong.

Why on earth would it be a failure for WW origin to not outsell a Trinity movie, with the 3 most iconic superheroes of all time in it outside Spider-Man. If Wondy beats Joker and Superman I think that is quite enough. I don´t think in anyway shape or form her first movie should be expected to beat Batman, Superman and even herself starring in one movie, when WW had less than half the budget. You do realize by the time WW finishes at the box office it will already be more profitable than BvS right? On 149 mil Budget, when BvS had close to 300 mil budget.

Its already more profitable than SS and MOS lol.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @agent41 said:
    @clamps said:

@agent41:

I just don't know why would be pathetic. bvs was a big it. So is Wonder Woman. And people thought it was over for DC movies after many disappointments(outside of the box office). And Wonder Woman proved them all wrong.

Why on earth would it be a failure for WW origin to not outsell a Trinity movie, with the 3 most iconic superheroes of all time in it outside Spider-Man. If Wondy beats Joker and Superman I think that is quite enough. I don´t think in anyway shape or form her first movie should be expected to beat Batman, Superman and even herself starring in one movie, when WW had less than half the budget. You do realize by the time WW finishes at the box office it will already be more profitable than BvS right? On 149 mil Budget, when BvS had close to 300 mil budget.

Its already more profitable than SS and MOS lol.

Very well said.

as a point of clarification here ... WW has actually outsold BvS in domestic box office ($350M v. $330M) it's possible that she could pass BvS world wide total of $873M, if a bit of a stretch, they unrolled her international launch over a relatively long period so it's hard to say how she's going to end up on that front ... Japan could, potentially, tip her over and bring her North America and International box office closer to a 40/60 split. What' I've been reading lately is that her current projected global box office will hit somewhere it he neighborhood of $850M-$875M ... barring anything strange happening over the next month or so, this will put her above pretty much all the solo films except BM, Iron Man and Spiderman

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
    deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved wonder woman but to be fair this is only happening because they are no other good movies out right now lol

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved wonder woman but to be fair this is only happening because they are no other good movies out right now lol

Not really, she's holding pretty steady and maintaining box office largely because audiences have been raving about the movie and people are going to see it, the box office life of WW is more closely following animated features behavior ... meaning audiences will continue to trickle in regardless of the competition. This strength has helped her maintain screens in NA ... unlike other big blockbusters she's had relatively small box office drop-off week to week, most of these movies have huge openings and then drop 60% or more every week ... WW has been dipping by 30%-40% so far, meaning she's on pace to be close to 4x her opening weekend by the time she is done. Very rare feat.

Transformers, The Mummy and Pirates are crushing it in international markets (all 3 have around 75% or more of their box office total coming internationally). Transformers has nearly matched WW outside of NA and Pirates is well ahead of her with close to $550M and The Mummy, despite horrible NA results has hit $300M internationally). So even being short on screens and facing strong competition she's still performing quite well ($365M internationally is nothing to sneeze at).

I suspect she's going to pick up a significant chunk of box office once they launch in Japan, it's a large, wealthy market so it's feasible she can close the gap to BvS with a strong showing there. Conservatively, she should end up at $385M(ish) US and is currently pacing to about $400M International (no Japan) ... but is somewhat under-performing internationally due to the rolling launch and strong competition, if she has success in Japan she could hit more like $500M International which would be a more inline with a typical box office NA/International split ... I doubt that will happen, but I don't think $450M is out of the question, especially when you consider that the Spider-Man franchises have had mixed international success (SM and SM2 each only pulled in about 50% of their total from international markets, while SM3 and the ASM/ASM2 where 60-70% international).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: what other competition is out right now? homecoming might change that but be for real there are no (GOOD) movies out. alien covenant? nope. mummy? nope people are continuing to see wonder woman simply because there is no other good movie out its a good strategy but thats why this is happening. transformers pirates etc are nowhere near as good as wonder woman its making more than bvs because its actually good. and u cant compar spiderman 3 to a time where comic book movies werent popular. ghost rider came out that year terrible. and amazing spiderman no one saw that much because it wasnt good either and not part of the mcu believe me u spiderman is going to crush the wonder woman sales

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: what other competition is out right now? homecoming might change that but be for real there are no (GOOD) movies out. alien covenant? nope. mummy? nope people are continuing to see wonder woman simply because there is no other good movie out its a good strategy but thats why this is happening. transformers pirates etc are nowhere near as good as wonder woman its making more than bvs because its actually good. and u cant compar spiderman 3 to a time where comic book movies werent popular. ghost rider came out that year terrible. and amazing spiderman no one saw that much because it wasnt good either and not part of the mcu believe me u spiderman is going to crush the wonder woman sales

What I'm saying is that Transformers, Mummy and Pirates all put up very solid box office outside of the US so saying there are "no good movies" isn't accurate. They might have been garbage and not all that well received in the US, but they filled a lot of seats elsewhere and WW has been competing just fine against them. Cars 3 was well received too but she has maintained her numbers. Homecoming will take a bite for sure, but she's in week 5 and 6 now so it's expected that the film won't be posting sales like it did in week 2 or 3 ... if she posts $4-6M that would be a great result at this stage, and she's keeping the side screens over the smaller movies like the Mummy because she continues to post good sales.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I'm not im stating facts i love wonder woman its the best dceu movie but if it came out around batman vs superman two of the most iconic heroes it wouldnt sell much please if you have a question ask before you assume and dont worry spiderman will crush wonder woman not because i like him more but because he is top 3 most iconic superheroes next to batman and superman and its finally part of the mcu. yes wonder woman even if competition was out like if it was released with man of steel (and if critics loved it) wonder woman wouldnt be selling much it would still sell highly but not like how it is now please think before you speak have a good day sir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: as a bonus superhero movies are popular now not during spidermans original trilogy era superhero movies had a bad name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: lol im not i told u i loved the movie but fine be delusional i really dont care lol have a happy life m8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: you were thinking like that lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman has Equalized Suicide Squad in the Global Box Office.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.